Monday, January 31, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 4

A couple of days had passed since the gruesome discovery by the Avengers of a large number of bodies. The authorities had been called and W.H.O. (Weird Happenings Organization), led by liason Allistaire Stuart, had taken over the investigation. As Druid had noted, every body had been totally drained of blood with the only obvious injuries appearing to be just two small red marks on the neck of the victims.

Dr. Bruce Banner, aka "The Hulk", had been transferred to the custody of SHIELD, with head honcho Nick Fury personally overseeing the the affairs as a sedated, but otherwise fine, yet very confused Dr. Banner was shipped back to Hulk Base in New Mexico.

Black Widow was talking to Dr. Druid and Spitfire in the library of the Avengers castle headquarters.

"So have you had any luck with your contacts, Doctor?", Widow asked the mystic.

"Not much", Druid said. "I've been able to ascertain that it's not Dracula we're dealing with. The evil one was destroyed by Dr. Strange just a few months ago in Nova Scotia, and Strange assured me that he's set up wards and spells that will prevent Dracula from rising again, at least anytime soon."

"And it's not either of the men who wore the mantle of Baron Blood", Spitfire injected. "I've checked my own sources and traveled to the graves of each to make sure that they're both still at rest."

"So that rules out the most likely suspects", Widow agreed. "Any other leads or ideas?"

"I've sent out mystical feelers all over the London area looking for any signs of demonic or vampire activity. It's not much, but it may be able to give us a heads up before anymore people are killed", Druid said.

"And I've arranged for Druid and myself to meet with a contact who probably knows more about the underworld in this part of the country than anyone, to see what he knows", Spitfire said.

"Is it anyone I've heard of", the Widow asked?

"I don't know for sure", Spitfire said. "I don't even know his true name. All I know is that he helped me many times over the past several decades and knows what's going on around the world of the supernatural, especially in this area, far better than anyone I've ever encountered."

"And you trust this.. person?", Druid asked.

"I do", Spitfire said. "I don't know his story fully, but from what I've been able to pick up on, he's had a long and sad, almost tragic existence. I think, when he helps me and others fight the forces of evil, he see's it as a form of redemption."

"I don't like dealing with strangers", Druid said.

"In my days as an agent, for both the KGB and SHIELD", Widow said, "dealing with unknown sources was, and is rather common. If Spitfire feels this man can be trusted and may have information we can use, what harm could it do to at least meet with him and see what he knows?"

"I didn't say I wouldn't meet with him, dear woman", Druid said grimly. "I just said I didn't like it."

"Point taken", Widow said.

"If you'd like, I can meet with him alone", Spitfire said.

"No, I'd like to come", Druid said. "Anyone with a knowledge of the underworld such as you describe this man is someone that I am very interested in meeting."

"So it's settled then", Widow said. "The two of you go meet your contact and see what you can learn."

Suddenly, the communicard in Widow's pocket began to buzz.

"What the....??", the Widow proclaimed as she activated her card. "Widow here. What's up? Hmmmmm! Got it! Summon the others."

"What's going on?", Spitfire asked.

"Warwolves over in Newcastle", Widow said.

"Werewolves?", Druid said excitingly.

"No, warwolves", Widow said. "Alien creatures from another dimension. Suck the essence from human bodies and wear the skins."

"Uugh!", Spitfire shudded.

"My thoughts exactly", Widow said.

"Let's go", Druid said.

"No, the two of you go meet with your appointment. Iceman has gone back to the States for a few days, but I still have Mantis, Lightning, Andromeda and Hercules. We should be able to handle this fairly easily. Go see what you can find out. I want these vampire slayings stopped."

"Fine", Druid said, as he and Spitfire headed back into the library to get ready for their meeting. Widow took off towards the Quinjet where she knew the other Avengers would be waiting for her.

"Warwolves?", she thought to herself. "What a way to spend an evening".

***

Several hours later, in a dark bar, Spitfire and Dr. Druid, dressed in casual clothes as to not attract attention, meet with their mysterious source.

"There has been an increase in underworld activity lately... the talk is of something big preparing to happen", the mysterious stranger said.

"Any speculation as to what it might be, or who might be the ones behind it", Druid asked.

"No. Just someone powerful and old. My first thoughts were Dracula, but from I understand, he's out of commission for the time being", the dark haired, sullen faced man said.

"That's true. He is!", Spitfire commented.

"But it's someone nearly as powerful and dangerous. It'd have to be to allign the dark forces as they seem to be doing", Druid said.

"Very true", the stranger commented.

"What I can't understand is how they're immune to my tracking spells", Druid remarked.

"I would suspect they're using a magic that renders itself invisible to being tracked, or even leaving traces behind", the stranger said.

"Obviously", Druid said. "But the power it would take...."

"It's not so hard really", the stranger said. "If they have access to the Darkhold and it's magic, or perhaps the Amulet Of Amabo."

"What do you know of the Amulet of Amobo", Druid asked. "I haven't heard mention of it in years, although it would have the power necessary.."

"It was part of a collection on loan to the British Museum a few years ago. The museum was broken into and part of the collection was stolen, the Amulet being among the missing pieces", the stranger said.

"I don't recall", Druid said.

"I do", Spitfire remembered. "As part of my civilian identity, I'm on the Board of the British Museum and that caused quit a stir. We tried to keep it quiet, but news did leak out."

"When did this happen?", Durid asked.

"Roughly two years ago", the stranger said, looking at Spitfire for confirmation.

"Oh, I was lost in time and limbo then", Druid said. "No wonder I didn't recall it."

"Time and limbo", the stranger asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Long story!", Druid sighed.

"But getting back, could this Amulet be the source behind the mysterious vanishings of the vampires we've encountered?", Spitfire asked.

"It's very possible", Druid said. "I'll contact Stephen when we get back to the castle and have him forward me everything he has on the Amulet, including possible tracing spells and counters, when we get back to the castle."

"So we now have an idea of what, but the question still remains who", Spitfire said.

"I may be able to help on that", the stranger said. "My sources in the underworld have told me that the powers behind the recent activities have been out looking for and recruiting for their cause. I've sent word that I might be interested in being a part of their plan. Now, I'm just waiting for a response of some kind."

"Working undercover among an army of vampires? That's very dangerous!", Spitfire commented.

"I've a feeling our friend here is very used to dealing with danger... and vampires. Am I correct?", Druid asked pointingly at their associate.

"I'm not unfamiliar with it", the stranger remarked sadly. "And I'm no stranger to danger. But whatever I have to do to rid the world of evil and make redemption for my own past misdeeds, I do with no regrets."

"I don't understand", Spitfire said.

"Maybe I should explain", Druid said. "Before our meeting, I contacted some sources of my own and made some inquiries about our friend. He is well aware of vampires, for he himself has been one for well over two hundred years. And while I'm aware of the misdeeds of which he spoke, I'm also well aware of the good he's done time and time again, often at great cost and sacrifice to himself, to help others. And when I met the man tonight, face to face, I was sure who this was. Please allow me, my dear lady Jacqueline Falsworth Crichton, to introduce you to an esteemed gentleman of great reputation, Mr. Barnabas Collins."

"You're Barnabas Collins?", Spitfire asked, stunned. "After all these years of trading information, I never suspected. I mean, I've heard of you, but I never imagined..."

"Yes, I am Barnabas Collins", the man remarked with a slight smile. "There was never significant reasons for you to know my true identity when we were doing business, so I never revealed it. But I suspected as soon as you mentioned this meeting tonight, and mentioned Dr. Druid, that he would be aware of who I am. His reputation as a master of the unknown and mystic are well known and well respected. But my apologies for misleading you all these years, my dear!"

"No. I understand. In our line of work, it's sometimes better to reveal as little about yourself as possible. Less is more, my dad used to always say."

"Your father, the original Union Jack. I met him many times and remember him very well. He was a great and honorable man", Barnabas said.

"Thank you", Spitfire remarked.

"So", Druid interupted, "getting back to the matter at hand, we need to discover who is the source behind all of the recent acts of evil. Do you think your plan might work as far as getting into the core of the group?"

"I don't know", Barnabas said. "I've tried to keep my activities quiet, but to many in the underworld, I'm an enigma, an unknown factor and that might help or hurt. It remains to be seen which."

"Anything you might be able to discover would be helpful", Spitfire commented.

"I understand. If we can just discover who is the force behind these evil assaults, that would go a long way in helping to end them", Barnabas said.

"So you'll continue to make your inquiries?", Druid asked.

"Yes", Barnabas said. And between your sources and my own, hopefully we can bring this whole situation to an end."

"One can only hope", Spitfire commented.

"I think we'd best end this meeting", Druid remarked. "I'm picking up some strange energies and we don't want anyone to suspect that we're working together."

"Agreed", Barnabas said quietly. "I'll contact you when I learn more. Until we meet again!"

Barnabas gave Spitfire a gentle kiss on her hand and with a quick nod to Druid, turned and vanished into the crowds of bar patrons.

"And I think it might be best if we follow suit and head back to the castle as well", Druid said. "But be on your toes. I sense that strange energy again."

As Druid and Spitfire exited the building, they looked around and seeing nothing, turned to walk to their waiting rental car.

"Nice night for a stroll", a voice came out of nowhere.

"Or a slaugher", another voice rang out.

Druid and Spitfire turned and standing there were a group of about ten men.

"Look's like we've got trouble", Druid said grimly.

"For them, you mean", Spitfire said.

"Get them! Kill them!", one of the men said as the group moved forward.

"They're not human... they're vampires", Druid said quickly.

"Oops! Maybe I spoke too soon", Spitfire said, using here super speed to break off several pieces of wood into makeshift stakes as the vampires approached. "But I doubt it!".

The group of fledgling vampires attacked and tried to quickly overwhelm the two Avengers, but hadn't counted on the super-swift reaction of Spitfire, or the physical figthing prowess of Druid, as potent and deadly as his mystical talents. In just a matter of moments, the number of attackers dwindled from ten to just one.

"Wait, don't kill me!" the vampire pleaded as Druid used his telekenesis to animate a tree limb and use it to bind the whimpering demon.

"Tell us what we need to know then", Spitfire glared at the distraught demon.

"I can't. He'll kill me!", the vampire said.

"So either way, you're going to die", Druid said. "But if you don't want to talk, there is another way."

Dr. Druid took a deep breath before stepping over next to the bound vampire and placing his hand on the vampires head. Druid used his powers of telepathy and mind-control to enter the vampire's mind and memories, searching for the answers to his questions.

"I've got it!", Druid said. "I now know who is behind these attacks and who is controlling these vampires. We need to get back to the castle as quickly as possible."

"Let's be on our way then", Spitfire said. "But first..."

Spitfire took a piece of wood and used her speed to drive it deep into the vampires chest. Druid and Spitfire watched as the vampire exploded in a shower of dust.

"Let's go", she said quietly.

**

The other Avengers were back at the castle after their less than thrilling encounter with the Warwolves. One punch by Hercules had flattened the entire bunch and the entire adventure was over in a matter of moments.

"I wish every adventure was this easy", Lightning said as he fiddled with the TV.

"Bah! It was barely an adventure at all", Hercules said. "Barely worth the efforts of the Prince of Power! Now when I traveled with Achilles, that was an adventure worthy of even a god!"

Sensing that Hercules was about to brag about some of his earlier exploits, Lighting and Mantis both quickly decided to excuse themselves.

"Say Mantis, didn't you mention that you'd be willing to tutor me in learning more hand to hand combat skills", Lightning asked, switching off the TV.

"This one recalls that", Mantis said. "And", glancing over at Hercules, who was already getting more and more into his story-telling by the second, "this one thinks that now would be a good time to discuss it!"

Mantis & Lightning walked from the room, and Hercules didn't even notice his audience had shrunk by two persons.

"So there I was, surrounded by the hoardes of Pluto himself", Hercules continued as Andromeda, who had a silent crush on the man-god, sat listening to his wild and crazy tales.

The Black Widow stood quietly in the corner and watched her teammates. They were an odd bunch, to be sure, but she was proud of the way this team, her team, was slowly turning into a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment