Monday, January 31, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 6

That morning at breakfast, Lyja informed the Widow of her adventure the night before with Barnabas Collins.

"So you think he can be trusted?", Widow asked as she took a sip of her tea.

"I do", Lyja said. "Every instinct I have says that he's sincere about wanting to help."

"What I can't believe", Dr. Druid interupted as he walked into the room, "was that you sent Lyja to spy on us at our meeting."

"Old habits die hard", the Widow said to Druid. "I had to know for myself what kind of person this Barnabas Collins is. And I wanted to make sure he's not working for the other side and trying to set us up for a trap."

"So the word of Spitfire and myself, our judgement isn't enough?", Druid asked.

"I trust the two of you", Widow said. "But I wanted to know where Barnabas would go and what he would do after he met you two. Lyja has the powers necessary to do that."

"But you should have told us", Druid said.

"But it all worked out. And if I hadn't been tailing Barnabas after your meeting, we might have lost him when those vampire thugs attacked", Lyja said.

"I believe it would take more than a handful of delinquent hell-spawn to do away with Mr. Collins", Druid said.

"Most likely, but it showed me what he's capable of in a fight and it gave me a chance to meet and speak to him as well. And I agree that he's a very worthy ally", Lyja said.

"Listen Druid", Widow said. "You're right and I'm wrong. I should have told you and Spitfire that I was going to have Lyja tag along and follow Collins. But I couldn't risk the possibility of a mental scan or telepathy picking it up and giving her presence away."

"I have shields erected in my mind and am immune to telepathy", Druid said. "And I was shielding Spitfire's mind with my powers as well, just in case of something like that."

"Perhaps", Widow said, "but even the strongest of shields fail sometimes. And what if your meeting had been discovered. What if you had been attacked while meeting Collins? Back-up is never a bad thing to have."

"I'm just saying that Spitfire and myself should have been told that Lyja was planning to tag along. That's all!", Druid said.

"Told us what?",Spitfire said as she walked into the room.

"Druid is miffed because I tailed you guys yesterday and then followed Collins after your meeting", Lyja said.

"Is that all?", Spitfire said.

"I am not... miffed", Druid pouted.

"You don't have a problem with it?", Widow asked.

"Of course not", Spitfire said. "It's common practice."

"And it doesn't bother you that the Widow didn't inform us that Lyja was coming along on our meeting?", Druid asked.

"Why should it?", Spitfire asked. "After sixty-plus years of dealing with spy groups and every government type in existence, I'd have been surprised if 'Tasha hadn't sent along back-up."

"So you knew about it?", Druid asked.

"I assumed", Spitfire said. "And with her powers and background, Lyja was the obvious choice. If our meeting had been compromised or if it had been a trap, it's always smart to have back-up on hand."

"I see", Druid said, obviously annoyed.

"Come on Anthony", Spitfire said, rubbing her hand along Druid's back to console her stubborn team mate, "Lighten up. It all worked out so why question it?"

"Perhaps I have over-reacted", Druid agreed. "I should have known. Maybe I'm just too used to working alone..."

"But you're not alone now, Druid", Widow said. "You're part of a team."

"And not just any team. The Avengers", Lyja threw in for good measure.

Suddenly, the sound of a buzzer interupted the feel-good team moment and a voice rang out.

"Dr. Druid, you have a call on Line 3!", the automated voice said.

"That must be Stephen Strange returning my call", Druid said. "I have to take this. Please excuse me."

And quickly, Druid exited the room to take his phone call.

After Druid had left, Spitfire turned to the Widow.

"He was right, you know. You should have told him that Lyja was going to be shadowing us", she said.

"Not you too", Widow sighed.

"I'm used to working with government ops and in spy situations", Spitfire said. "I know how things work and generally what to expect. Druid is a loner and isn't used to being a part of a group yet. Deny it as he will, this is a whole new world for him. That has to be taken into account sometimes."

"Point taken", Widow said. "And you're right. I goofed!"

"Just don't let it happen again", Spitfire said with a smile as she put her hand comfortably on her colleague's shoulder. "And now", she said, turning to Lyja, "I want to know about your meeting with the mysterious Barnabas Collins."

"Don't you have an appointment scheduled with the reporter from Buzzline, Mark Cohen?", Lyja asked with a small smile.

"Spit and Hades", Spitfire said, glancing at the clock on the wall. "I had forgotten. I've got to go. But you're not off the hook, Missy! I want details!"

As Lyja and The Widow laughed at their friend's comments, Spitfire quickly moved into super-speed mode and as quickly as her name implies, was gone from the room.

"So what's on the agenda for today, boss", Lyja asked the Widow as she reached for a piece of bacon from the breakfast buffet table.

"Barring any emergencies, I have a meeting with our liason, Alistaire Stuart, as well as a session in the Dungeon with Iceman and Hercules", the Widow said.

"A Champions reunion?", Lyja quipped.

"If only we could get Angel, Darkstar and Johnny Blaze here as well", the Widow smiled. "And then it would be complete. So what are your plans, Lyja?"

"Shopping", Lyja said. "I've heard of this store in London, called Grace Brothers, that is said to have the best outfits. I have a date with Johnny coming up next weekend and I want to look great."

"Johnny Storm thinks you look great no matter what you wear", Widow smiled. "You don't need a new outfit to impress him."

"Maybe not, but I like to shop", Lyja laughed. "And I think I might take Mantis with me."

"Mantis?", Widow asked.

"Yeah. Don't you get tired of those grass skirt outfits she likes to wear. That girl needs a fashion makeover. And I'm just the one to give it to her", Lyja laughed.

"Wait a moment! Is this Lyja Storm, the Laser Fist I'm talking to, or did I accidentially end up with the Wasp on my team? That sounds more like Jan than what I'd expect from you", Widow said.

"Well, I did talk to Jan a few days ago and.... ", Lyja laughed.

"Say no more", the Widow said. "Just try to have fun."

"Oh, we will. We will", Lyja laughed as she walked from the room to go find Mantis.

Widow watched as she left and sighed. "Time to go to the Dungeon and work out with Hercules and Iceman. No rest for the weary!"

****

Meanwhile, in the chambers of Dr. Druid...

"Yes. Thank you, Stephen. I appreciate the help and I'll contact you if I learn anything more. Good bye!"

Druid hung up the phone after speaking to Dr. Strange, the resident 'Sorcerer Supreme' of Earth. Strange was sending him a book of spells relevent to tracing the Amulet of Amabo, via special courier and had offered his assistance in the Avengers Europe war against the vampire attacks. Druid had thanked him for the offer, but declined for the time being, saying that the Avengers would handle it and call if needed.

"We certainly can't depend on Strange to do our work for us", Druid thought to himself as he set down the phone. "Now, I suppose I should just wait for this book of spells that Strange is loaning me.:

Suddenly, there was a big flash of light and in the middle of Druid's chambers stood a golden colored, demonic looking creature with bat-like wings, talons for hands and holding a huge book.

"What the... ??", Druid said, jumping back at the sudden arrival.

"Uh..", the creature said. "My name is Issac. Dr. Strange sent me with this. He said you would be expecting it!"

Druid smirked as he finally recognized the creature in front of him. "Issac Christians, the Gargoyle.. formerly of the Defenders?"

"That's me", the creature spoke with a smile. "I was visiting Stephen and he asked me to play mail pigeon."

"Well, he said he'd be sending it by a special courier. I have to give Stephen credit", Druid said. "He certainly is prompt!"

***
(Several hours later)

The Avengers were gathered in the library. Issac Christians, aka The Gargoyle, had decided to stick around after delivering the book of spells to Druid and was over in the corner reuniting with his fellow former Defenders, Andromeda and Iceman.

Lyja and Mantis had just returned from their shopping adventure and were sharing the story of their adventures with Hercules and the Living Lightning.

"You should have seen that woman, with the orange and purple hair", Lyja was saying. "And she tried to sell me this autrocious item."

Lyja held up a huge, fuzzy sweater with green splotches.

"She said it would go great with my skin tone", Lyja said.

"But why did you buy it", Lightning asked?

"This one can answer", Mantis said. "Although the female at the Ladies counter was overbearing, there was this young man who was indeed a joy. I believe his name was Humphries?"

"Yes, he was very different, even by human standards", Lyja agreed

"And when that one finished his sales pitch, we were both ready to buy anything he suggested!", Mantis smiled.

"Do you think it was mind control? Maybe he's a mutant?", Lightning suggested.

"No. Just a good salesman", Lyja laughed.

Hercules held up the sweater Lyja had bought.

"This garment is big enough to cover a Titan. How will it ever fit yon slender frame?", he asked.

"Mr. Humphries assured us it will ride up with wear", Lyja smiled.

Suddenly Lyja's cellphone began to vibrate.

"Excuse me for a moment", Lyja said, flipping open her small phone and walking to the far corner of the library as her fellow heroes watched.

Meanwhile, Spitfire and The Black Widow were talking about the interview Spitfire had given earlier that day to reporter Mark Cohen and the tabloid television program, Buzzline.

"It was a pretty cut and dry interview" Spitfire assured her chairman. Although he did catch me of guard with one question about the group."

"What was that?", the Widow asked.

"He wanted to know why there weren't more Europeans on a team called Avengers Europe?"

"And you said", the Widow asked.

"I pointed out that we are an extremely multicultural team. I'm British, of course, while you're Russian, Herc is Greek, Mantis is from Vietnam, Andromeda is from Atlantis, Lyja is an alien and Druid, Iceman and Lightning are from the States."

"He certainly couldn't object to that answer", Widow said.

"He didn't. He moved on to talk about my involvement in assorted charities and then started singing about No Day But Today".

"He didn't?", the Widow asked.

"He did", Spitfire said. "And very well too. If he wasn't a reporter, he'd make a great Broadway singer. But that was a valid question and something I've wondered myself on occasion."

"What? About the number of Europeans on this team?", Widow asked.

"Exactly. We're headquartered in London, but I'm the only Brit here. And no representation of Germany, France, Italy. The only true Europeans are myself and Hercules", Spitfire said.

"It's a valid point. I suppose that Avengers International would be a better title, given our current team roster", the Widow agreed.

"I understand that we have a full team... a good team", Spitfire said. "But it might make some of the more reluctant here in Europe accept us a bit easier if we actually had more European members as part of the team."

"We don't choose members based on their race, culture or nationality. The Avengers are an elite organization", the Widow said.

"And I'm not disagreeing with you", Spitfire said. "But it might be something to consider if we ever have any holes in the roster or vacancies to fill."

All the conversations and chatter stopped as Dr. Druid entered the room. Druid was carrying a small box of items in his arms.

"Druid, we were wondering where you were at", the Widow said as Druid sat the box down.

"I've been working, using the book of spells that Dr. Strange lent me, and I've discovered a way to not only trace our teleporting vampires, but to mystically find the source of that teleportation as well", Druid said.

"That's wonderful", the Widow said. "Is that what all of this stuff in the box is about?"

"Yes", Druid answered. "I've gathered the materials necessary to perform the necessary ritual and am preparing to do just that. I just wanted to have the team ready and on standby ready to move when I've learned what we need to know. We'll have to be able to move quickly."

"Agreed", the Widow said. "So until further notice, everyone stay fairly close to home. I want to be able to move the team out as quickly as possible once Druid's ritual gives us a target."

"That might not be necessary", Lyja said. "I just got off the phone with Barnabas Collins. He's been invited to a meeting by the being he suspects has been leading these vampires and he wants me to tag along as back-up."

"Is that safe", Iceman asked. "What do we know about this Barnabas Collins anyhow?"

"It's safe", Spitfire said. "Mr. Collins can be trusted."

"So what is Barnabas suggesting?", Widow asked Lyja.

"Mainly that I use my shape-shifting powers to accompany him inconspiciously while he meets this big bad", Lyja said. "To learn what I can and act as back-up if things get out of control."

"It's a good plan and should work", Widow said thoughtfully, "but I don't want you to go in there alone."

"I'll have my Communi-Card and should be able to signal if we need help pretty quickly. Besides, neither Barnabas or myself are pushovers by anyone's standards", Lyja said.

"Hmmm", the Widow thought. "I'll agree with that. You'll go with Mr. Collins to this meeting and learn what you can. I want Iceman, Spitfire & Lightning to act as back-up for you though. They can position themselves close by your meeting place and be ready to stage a rescue if necessary."

"That would be fine", Lyja said.

"Excuse me. Miss Widow?", Issac Christians spoke up. "If you don't mind, I'd like to tag along with Bobby and the others as well. I know I'm not an Avenger, but...."

"But you're a friend and a pretty powerful hero in your own right, Issac", Widow said. "And we'd appreciate the help."

"Thank you", the old man known as the Gargoyle said humbly.

"As for the rest of us, Hercules, Mantis, Andromeda and myself", the Widow continued. "We'll be here with Druid and ready to move as soon as we are able to take the fight to wherever this tracing spell leads us. So there you go. Let's move people."

With nary a parting glance, the two teams quickly split up to do their jobs as the Avengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment