Tuesday, April 12, 2011

School Days: The Rise Of The Wolfpack - Part 2 (Fiction)

Later that evening at the Stoddard Institute, Dr. Julia Hoffman was sitting at a small desk, checking over some last minute paperwork for the school. Earlier, the newest member of the faculty, a young woman named Dani Moonstar, had arrived and was getting settled in her quarters. Quentin and Mantis had left to drive to Xaiver's school in Weschester so they could use the X-Men's jets in their upcoming trip to Forks, WA.

Also arriving earlier in the evening was an elderly woman named Dolly Donahue, who would act as the housekeeper and cook for the school. Julia smiled at the thought of the older woman, who at one time had been involved with Issac Christians, The Gargoyle, and had previously served in a similar job with a band of super-heroes that included The Beast, Iceman, Angel and several others called the New Defenders.

"Well, at least she won't startle easy and should be able to adapt to any craziness with few problems", Julia thought to herself.

Julia looked down at the paperwork on her desk.

"Quentin should be doing this", she said with a sigh. "Or at least hire a secretary or administrator for this kind of thing."

With another deep sigh, Julia resumed work on the forms and paperwork laying on the desk. It wasn't long before her thoughts were interupted by the sound of a phone. Julia picked up the phone.

"Stoddard Institute. Dr. Hoffman speaking", she answered. "Yes,this is Julia Hoffman!"

Suddenly a barrage of emotion and words came barelling at Julia through the phoneline.

"Calm down and speak slowly", Julia was forced to tell the voice on the other end of the line as a panicky, rushed voice screeched at her.

After listening for several minutes, Julia had reached a decision.

"Yes, I remember you. Tell me where you are and I'll come get you", Julia told the caller. "Yes, I know where that is and can be there in 45 minutes. Don't go anywhere."

After hanging up the phone, Julia reached for her jacket and started to leave the office.

"I don't think I should go alone", she thought to herself. "I wonder where Barnabas is tonight?"

Julia picked up the phone and dialed Collinwood. Willie answered the phone and informed her that Barnabas was not at the house.

"Maybe he's at the school", Willie suggested. "I haven't seen him since dinner time."

"Well, if he returns tonight, have him call me on my cell phone", Julia said. "Thank you, Willie."

After hanging up the phone, Julia decided to go see if the new teacher, Dani, would accompany her.

"She was a super hero and should be used to meeting strangers late at night", Julia thought to herself. "Plus, it will give us a chance to get to know each other."

With that thought in mind, Julia took off down the hallway that led to the bedrooms.

"I just hope she hasn't went to sleep yet", Julia said to herself.

**

A short time later, Julia Hoffman and Dani Moonstar were in a car headed down the highway towards Collinsport.

"So do you often get phone calls in the middle of the night like this?", Dani asked as she yawned.

"Not often", Julia admitted. "But this is different. The young lady who called, her name is Alicia Gentry, seemed so depserate. And when she mentioned the Friends of Humanity..."

"Whoa", Dani said. "Go back a second. What about the Friends of Humanity?"

"Alicia", Julia replied, "said that the FOH was after her and had been chasing her for weeks. I was an associate of her fathers and she tracked me down to help."

"So you know her?", Dani asked.

"Not well", Julia admitted. "I worked with her father nearly fifteen years ago on some projects. She was just a baby then, but I do remember her."

"Did she specify what exactly that she needed help for?", Dani asked.

""Not exactly", Julia said. "She was scared and rambling. My impression is that she had some sort of mutant manifestation and it caught the attention of the FOH, so she went on the run."

"And just happened to track you down and show up just as we're getting the Institute set up? That sounds mighty suspicious to me", Dani remarked.

"It is odd", Julia admitted, "but we'll find out more once we find Alicia. We're nearly at the Bus Depot."

"Well, when we get to the Depot, let me out first to scout the area. I've got a feeling that I shouldn't be too obvious with my presence and if the Friends of Humanity are involved it might be better to let them think you're alone", Dani said.

"You think this might be a trap?", Julia asked.

"I just would rather be safe than sorry", Dani said. "Let me off up here on the right."

Julia pulled over and Dani quickly moved to get out of the car.

"Go ahead and park in the front of the Depot and go inside", Dani told Julia. "If this girl is in there, she should spot you and make contact.."

"And what are you going to do?", Julia asked Dani, a worried expression on her face.

"I'm going to be watching and make sure that no one decides to try anything", Dani said. "And once you're clear, I'll meet you up the road."

Julia nodded in agreement and Dani, looking around, vanished into the darkness. Julia drove on up to the Collinsport Bus Depot and quickly found a spot up near the front door to park her car. Moving quickly, she got out of the car, looked around and entered the front door. Upon entering the Depot, Julia was amazed at how clean everything was.

"Last bus station I was in", she thought to herself, "was filled with winos and prostitutes. This is so much nicer."

Julia looked around and though a few people were scattered here and there, she didn't see anyone who matched the description of the young woman who she had spoken to earlier. Taking a deep breath, Julia decided to walk over to the Ticket Center to question the young man working there. Maybe he had seen the young girl.

Suddenly, a young female came walking up.

"Dr. Hoffman", the woman asked tentively.

"Yes, are you Alicia", Julia replied.

"Thank God", the young girl said as she reached over and threw her arms around Julia, wrapping her in a big hug of relief.

"It's going to be all right", Julia said as she hugged the young girl and glanced around at the attention that they were drawing. "Now, let's get to the car and get out of here so you can tell me what's going on."

Julia took Alicia by the hand and together, they went back outside and were headed for Julia's car when a man stepped out of the darkness in front of them, with a gun in hand.

"Hold it, bitch", the man said as he pointed the gun at the two women.

"Please... no", Alicia started to say, but Julia cut her off.

"Who the hell do you think you are? Put that damn gun away and step out of our way!", Julia said to the man.

""I've been chasing this mutie for too long", the man said, "and I'm taking her with me. And if you don't shut your trap woman, I'll....."

His words were cut off as an arrow came flying through the air and struck the man, disrupting every muscle in his body and shocking him into unconciousness.

Julia sighed in relief as Dani Moonstar stepped out of the shadows.

"Let's get to the car and get out of here", Dani said quickly. "That jerk probably has friends and we don't want to be here when they come looking for him."

"Is he.... dead", Alicia asked as they stepped around the fallen body.

"Just unconcious", Dani said. "My arrow was a manifestation of my powers and I just disrupted his entire nervous system. He'll be ok in a little while."

"Powers?", Alicia repeated with a strange look on her face.

"Yeah, my name is Dani Moonstar and I'm an associate of Dr. Hoffman's. And I'm a mutant."

"Oh wow", Alicia said as they reached the car.

Moving quickly, Dani, Julia and Alicia climbed into the car and took off, headed back to the Stoddard Institute.

**

A short time later, Julia pulled the car to the garage and, along with Dani and their new friend, Alicia, quickly moved inside the vast building that would serve as the Stoddard Institute. Almost immediately upon entering the building, the trio was greeted by Barnabas Collins.

"Julia, what happened? Willie told me you called and I headed over here immediately", Barnabas said.

"Don't worry Barnabas", Julia smiled. "Dani was with me."

"And who is this young lady?", Barnabas asked, noticing Alicia standing there, unsure of what to say or do.

"This is Alicia Gentry", Julia answered. "Her father was a former associate of mine. Alicia called and needed us, so we went to get her."

"I see", Barnabas said. "Welcome to the Institute, Miss Gentry."

"Thank you", Alicia said quietly to the pale, yet handsome man.

"We're going to the kitchen now to get Alicia some grub and find out exactly what her story is", Dani said. "Care to join us?"

"Lead the way, ladies", Barnabas said with a small smile.

And with that, the four headed down the hallway and towards the kitchen of the Institute.

**

Quentin and Mantis approached the airport hub where they had been told to go.

"This one doesn't see anyone waiting for us", Mantis said. "Are you sure we're at the right place?"

"This is where Xaiver told me to come", Quentin replied. "And that's Xaiver's private jet on the runway. I recognize it from some pictures that the Icepick, Bobby, showed me while we were hanging out together one night at the Avengers Castle in England. The Professor has several small private jets available for use when the official X-Plane isn't viable."

"Maybe we're just early", Mantis replied.

"Or I'm just running late", a voice echoed out as Kitty Pryde, also known as the X-Man called Shadowcat, stepped into the room. "Sorry I'm late, but traffic was a pain getting here. I'm Kitty Pryde, also known as Shadowcat. I get to be your pilot today."

"Nice to meet you, Kitty", Quentin said to the young lady. "I'm Quentin and this is Mantis."

"Yeah, the werewolf and Starr's mom", Kitty smiled. "The two of you are very big topics around the school."

Seeing the look on their faces, she added, "Don't worry. It's all good!"

"So you're the lucky one who gets to fly us to Forks?", Quentin asked. "How did you end up with transport duty?"

"Actually, I volunteered", Kitty said. "It was either me doing this or working on reconfiguring and matinence of the Danger Room. And I haven't been out west in a while so there you go."

"I hear you", Quentin laughed, automatically liking this charmng young lady.

"We'll be leaving in a moment", Kitty said. "And by the way, have either of you talked to the Professor or Hank today?"

"Not since last night", Quentin answered. "Why?"

"We'll be making a detour to Los Angeles after we leave Forks", Kitty said. "Beast has two strays he wants us to pick up and bring home."

"Strays?", Mantis asked.

"A couple of young kids that Hank knows, both mutants, who will be coming back and most likely be students at the school", Kitty said. "Hank was on the phone with them this morning, so he probably just hasn't had the chance to tell you yet. He gets a little scattered-brained sometimes."

"What kind of powers do these kids have?", Quentin asked.

"The one I've met, Link, is a telekenetic. Nice guy", Kitty said. "The other kid, Mickey... well, his nickname is Poltergeist. Does that tell you anything?"

"This is going to be a fascinating trip", Quentin sighed.

"Two mutants and a werewolf", Mantis smiled. "This should be an experience indeed."

"Well, strap in so I can get us in the air", Kitty said as she climbed into the pilot's seat. "Let's get this show on the road."

**

Several hours later in teh kitchen at the Institute, Alicia had revealed how her father had died several months earlier, and rather than go live with some distant relatives, she had ran away and had been living on the streets, taking odd jobs to survive. It was a rough life, but she was adapting and had managed a small apartment of her own when she starting getting headaches. Then one day, she was relaxing in her bath tub and just seemed to melt away into the water, actually becoming one with the tub of water. She managed to compose herself and things went back to normal, but that's when she realized she was a mutant. She had researched at the local library and as time went on, actually became proficent at this new ability to change her body into water and back. Alicia managed to resume her life, but one night, was ambused by a group of street trash that tried to rape her. She used her new-found abilities to escape the group, but in doing so, caught the attention of the Friends Of Humanity. Several times, they tried to capture her, but she always managed to barely escape. Not sure what to do, Alicia remembered that her dad had always told her that if she needed help and he wasn't around, to go see Dr. Julia Hoffman in a small Massachusetts town called Collinsport. So using the last of her resources, Alicia had hopped on a bus and ridden across country in search of Julia.

As she finished telling her story, Alicia looked around the table at the three people who had been listening to her, Julia, Barnabas and Dani, to gauge their reaction.

"My goodness", Julia exclaimed. "You've certainly had quite an adventure."

"So what do we do now?", Alicia asked. "I don't mean to burden you with my problems, but I didn't know what else to do."

"You did corrrectly", Julia said. "Your father was a valued friend and associate and he was right to tell you to come here. I will do whatever I can to help you."

"Starting off by giving you a room to get some rest", Dani said. "And then contacting Charles so we can get his imput on this."

"Of course", Julia said. "And I'll need to give you a full examination... but seeing how exhausted you seem, it can wait for a few days."

"Dani, can you take Alicia to her room? Dolly has already prepared one for her in the student wing."

"Will do", Dani said. "I've got some extra clothes that should fit you too", she told Alicia.

"We'll talk more later", Julia told Alicia as she gave the young woman a hug.

After Dani took Alicia to her room, Julia turned to Barnabas.

"So what do you think?", Julia asked the brooding man.

"I think we have ourselves a new student", Barnabas said quietly. "I'll investigate to make sure her story is valid, but it seems to me that she's exactly the kind of young person that this school is supposed to attempt to help."

"I agree", Julia said. "But what about the so-called Friends of Humanity... if they're chasing her, they won't stop and we may end up having problems."

"I'll take care of that personally", Barnabas told Julia. "It shouldn't be hard to locate any strangers in Collinsport and persuade them to drop the issue."

"I"m not sure if that's the best option", Julia said, "but I'm really at a lost as to what to do."

"It's what needs to be done", Barnabas said grimly. "And believe me, I can be very persuasive when I need be."

"I don't like it, but do what you must, Barnabas", Julia sighed. "Meanwhile, I'll contact some people out west and see what I can verify of Alicia's story."

"And don't forget to call Charles Xaiver", Barnabas reminded her. "He needs to know about our newest student."

Julia picked up her cell phone.

"I'll call him right now", she said.

"And I'm headed over to Collinwood", Barnabas said. "If you need me, call."

And with that, Barnabas walked out of the room as Julia dialed a number on her phone.

**

Meanwhile at the Xaiver Institute...

"Yukio, are you sure about this?", Logan, also known as the X-Man, Wolverine asked as he spoke into the phone. "No, I trust your judgement, darlin. Do you need me to come to Japan? Okay, if you say so. Just bring her on here to the Mansion. Yeah, call me back when you have the flight information and I'll meet ya at the airport."

Logan hung up the phone.

"What's wrong, Logan?", Storm asked her friend and teammate as he hung up the phone. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Got problems in Japan and Yukio is getting worried about 'Kiko's safety", Logan said. "She thinks that 'Kiko would be safer here with us for the time being."

"Your foster daughter, Akiko? Yukio has good judgement and if she believes so, she's probably correct", Storm said. "So what's the problem?"

"Don't get me wrong", Logan said. "You know that, 'Ro. But the Mansion isn't a safe place for a kid either. Not with the recent attacks."

"I see your point", Storm said. "But maybe we have an alternative."

"What? At the Academy with Frost and Irish? I trust Sean, but I don't think Frost and 'Kiko would get along too well."

"What about the new school?", Storm suggested.

"The one with the werewolf and the vampire?", Logan said. "I think Chuck's losing it with that deal."

"Have you met Quentin or Barnabas Collins yet?", Storm asked.

"I've met a Barnabas Collins once, a long, long time ago. Not sure if it's the same person or not. But since he's a vamp, most likely it is."

"Well, they've got Charles confidence, as well as the support of the Avengers. Both Collins are reserve members. Dani is going there to help out too."

"I'll think about it", Logan said. "But for now, I'm gonna go get a brew."

"It's something to consider, Logan", Storm said.

"Yeah", Logan said. "It'd be safer than having 'Kiko living here at the Mansion. But with strangers?"

"To Akiko, we're all strangers", Storm mentioned. "Just think about it."

"I will darlin', I will...", Logan replied.

**

Back at the Stoddard Institute....

"Your medical examination didn't show any problems, Alicia", Julia told the younger woman. "But we also want to learn more about your mutant abilities. What can you tell me about them?"

"Well, I can change into water vapor just by wanting to", Alicia said.

"Can you control the change?", Julia asked. "Your whole body or just parts?"

"I can do either", Alicia said. "And even as water, I'm stil concious and coherent and in full control of my thoughts and actions."

"Amazing", Julia replied.

Barnabas Collins walked into the room at that point.

"Good evening ladies", Barnabas said.

"Hello Barnabas", Julia said.

"Hi Mr. Collins", Alicia said quietly.

"I just got back", Barnabas said. "And I wanted the two of you to know that you have nothing to fear from the so-called Friends of Humanity any more."

"You dealt with them?", Julia asked.

"It wasn't hard to locate them", Barnabas said. "And I believe that I've convinced them to leave Collinsport and never return."

"How did you do that, Mr. Collins?", Alicia asked.

"Barnabas can be a very persuasive individual", Julia quickly said. "If he says they're gone, then you can be assured that they're gone."

"So what were we talking about before I walked in?", Barnabas asked.

"Alicia was telling me about her powers", Julia said. "She's able to change her form into water."

"Amazing", Barnabas said. ""And you remain in control of yourself, even when changed?", he asked Alicia.

"Not so much at first, but I've gotten better with practice", Alicia said.

"So have you given any thoughts to what you want to do in the future", Barnabas asked Alicia. "Will you be staying here with us at the school?"

"I've been talking to Dr. Hoffman and I really don't have anywhere else to go", Alicia admitted. "I'd like to stay and learn more about my powers."

"Excelent", Barnabas said. "Of course, the final decision belongs to Charles Xaiver, but I don't see any problems. I think we can safely say welcome to the Stoddard Institute."

At that moment, Dolly Donahue, the housekeeper, walked into the room.

"Morning everyone", she said. "Mr. Collins, I didn't know you were here. Can I get you some coffee or anything?"

"No, thank you", Barnabas smiled.

"Well, I'm glad you're here. Mr. Collins, the other one, Quentin, just called. He and Miss Mantis will be back tonight with three new students."

"Three?", Julia said. "I thought they were only going after one person."

"So did I", Barnabas said.

"Well, he said three", Dolly said. "Be glad to see it too. This place needs more young faces."

"I wonder who he's bringing back?", Julia pondered. "And what kind of powers they have?"

"Excuse me, but who's Quentin Collins?", Alicia asked.

"He's my cousin and he's the Headmaster for the school", Barnabas said. "You'll like him."

"And... did they say Mantis?", Alicia asked.

"Mantis is a former Avenger. She's also Jacques... you'll meet him later today, she his mother. She's quite the character herself", Julia remarked.

"You mean... the Mantis, the super hero from the Avengers... she's here. Wow!", Alicia said.

"You've heard of her", Barnabas asked with an amused look.

"Heck yeah", Alicia said. "She's amazing!"

"Well, you'll be able to meet her tonight when she and Quentin get back", Julia smiled. "She's one of the administrators here at the Institute."

"Wow! This is going to be great", Alicia laughed. "I can't wait!"

Suddenly, the mood was erupted by the sounds of thunder filling the sky.

"What the heck is that?", Dolly asked.

"Sounds like thunder", Julia said.

"But the skies are clear", Barnabas said. "I was just outside."

Jacques suddenly came running into the room.

"Hey, I think we've got a visitor", he said. "There's someone standing outside the Institute. Two people."

"Do you recognize them", Barnabas asked.

"How did they get on to the school grounds?", Julia asked.

"Looks like Hercules", Jacques said. "But I'm not sure."

"Let's go see", Barnabas said. "Jacques, come with me. Julia, you take Dolly and Alicia to the sub-basement."

A buzz filled the air and Dani Moonstar's voice came out over a speaker.

"Listen up. We've got visitors. I'm going to intercept in the yard. Back-up would be nice."

"We're on our way, Dani", Barnabas said.

WIth that, Jacques transformed into a ball of light and vanished into the air with a loud popping sound while Barnabas quickly morphed into a large bat and took off, flying through a large window, headed for the outside. Meanwhile, Julia took Dolly and Alicia by the arms and led them to the Medi-Center, which was designated a secure area.

**

Dani moved quickly through the house and came outside through a side exit. She moved quickly through the brush and approached the front of the house, where two figures stood waiting. Dani looked and slowed down, smiling. She recognized the intruder.

"Hercules, hello", she shouted as she stepped into sight.

"Yo, fair Moonstar", Hercules bellowed with a smile. "How fare thee this fine morning."

"Doing good, Herc", Dani said.

A ball of light and loud popping noise and Jacques appeared as well.

"Hey Herc... I thought that was you!", he said.

"Friend Jacques... and best of the morn to thee as well. But surely thou art not alone?"

"No, they're not", a voice rang out as Barnabas Collins appeared. "How are you, Avenger?"

"A warm welcome by all", Hercules bellowed with a large smile. "Tis' fine to see all of thee again!"

"And you as well", Barnabas said. "Dani, will you let Julia know that it's a false alarm and Hercules is here."

"Will do", Dani said as she opened her radio. "See you later, Herc!"

"So, what brings you here, Hercules?", Barnabas asked. "Not that you're not always welcome, but to see you pop up out of the blue without notifying us first is a bit odd."

"My apologies if I alarmed thee", Hercules said. "Twas not my intention, but I just came from fair Olympus and had no way to forwarn thee of my visit. As for why, I present to thee my nephew, the son of Diana, Goddess of the Moon and Ward of noble Athena herself... this is Daniel Robinson. He be half mortal and half god, and a mutant as well, and I wish for thee to accept him as thy student at this temple of learning."

"You want this young man to be a student here?", Barnabas asked, not sure if he heard Hercules correctly.

"Indeed", Hercules smiled. 'Tis the wishes of Athena herself and the son of Zeus agrees. Daniel is a honorable and valiant youth who has lived on Olympus for the past few years and learned of his godly heritage, but also must learn of the world of mortals, as well as the world of mutants, being that he is both. So will thee accept thy youth among thou students?"

"I remember hearing about you, Daniel, from when you visited the Avengers in England", Barnabas said. "You can communicate with animals, I believe."

"Yes sir", Daniel said.

"Well, if you're wanting to join us here, it would be an honor to have you as part of our student class", Barnabas smiled.

"Thank you sir. You won't regret it!", Daniel said.

"Tis a proud moment when a child of Olympus hath joined thy school", Hercules said. "Now, let us celebrate thusly and thou can give the son of Zeus a tour of thy facilities."

"Why don't I take Daniel up to my office and get him enrolled, while Jacques gives you a tour of the school", Barnabas suggested.

"Sounds like a fine idea", Hercules smiled. "Come youth, and I shall tell thee the stories of my adventures known as the Twelve Labors while you show me thy school."

"Sure, Herc. Sounds great", Jacques said as he tossed a dirty look at Barnabas, who pretended not to notice.

Jacques and Hercules walked off. Barnabas turned to Daniel and spoke.

"You seem a bit hesitant", he noted. "Is this really what you want?"

"I'm not happy about leaving Olympus", Daniel admitted. "I will miss my animals and friends. But Athena thinks this is necessary to preserve my mortal heritage, so who am I to complain?"

"Let's go get you enrolled and find you a room", Barnabas said. "It won't be so bad."

**

Later that evening, after Hercules had departed and Quentin and Mantis had returned home, with three new students, Bradley Black, Lorne Lincoln, who went by the name Link, and Mickey Silk (Poltergeist) in tow, Barnabas, Quentin, Julia, Mantis and Dani sat in Quentin's office.

"So it looks like we've got quite an grouping here of kids", Quentin said. "I've got the boys settled in their rooms."

"Definitely", Julia said. "And from what I understand, we'll be getting at least one more."

"That's right", Quentin said. "I haven't had the chance to tell the rest of you yet, but I got a phone call earlier from Professor Xaiver. Two more students will be coming over from Weschester in a few days."

"Two more", Barnabas said. "Who are the new young people you're speaking of?"

"Well, one is a young Japanese girl named Akiko. She doesn't have any powers, but she's Wolverine's foster daughter", Quentin said.

"Akiko?", Dani said. "I've met her. Very intelligent young woman. Reminds me a lot of Wolvie."

"Do you think it's safe to bring a non-powered child in a group situation like this one", Julia asked.

"For most kids, no", Dani said, "but Akiko isn't most kids. She's a trained martial artist and has had ninja training as well. She's quite a capable young woman."

"Who's the other student you mentioned?", Mantis asked.

"A young speedster by the name of Jo Ann Steen", Quentin said. "She's sixteen years old and has powers similar to the Avenger, Quicksilver."

"So we've got a ninja, a speedster, a werewolf, two telekenetics, a girl who can change herself into water, a teleporting empath and a demi-god who talks to animals being taught by a vampire, a werewolf, a Valkyrie, the Celestial Madonna and a doctor who just retuned from the dead", Dani said.

"In a nutshell, I believe you've got it", Quentin smirked.

"Well, if nothing else, things certainly won't be boring", Julia smiled.

"So what are we going to call them?", Dani asked.

"What do you mean?", Quentin asked.

"Well, my class was called the New Mutants. The original class at the Massachusetts Academy was called The Hellions. The new class at the Academy is called Generation X. So what kind of nickname will we pin on these kids? It's kind of a tradition", Dani explained.

"Maybe we should let the students decide their own team name", Barnabas suggested.

"And of course they'll need code names", Dani said. "Just in case they are ever forced to use their powers in public, it can help them maintain some anonymity."

"We'll allow them to choose their own code-names too", Julia said. "After all, they have to live with them."

"This one thinks that the youngesters have already decided to recity those matters", Mantis said.

"What do you mean, Mantis?", Julia asked.

"This one's son mentioned to her that the new students would be spending time together to get to know one another tonight, and as we all know, he was already a student at Xaiver's school..."

"So he would know the traditions and get the ball rolling with the new kids", Dani said.

"So this one would suspect that even as we speak, the youth are doing the same and working on their code names, as well as a possible group name."

"That's great", Dani said.

"Is it?", Barnabas commented. "Who knows what kind of crazy name those young minds will come up with. Remember, they represent us and the school."

"What's that?", Julia gently chided. "Barnabas Collins concerned about image? What is this world coming too?"

Barnabas gave Julia a dirty look, followed by a small smile.

"We can bring it up tomorrow morning at the first Assembly", Quentin said. "We'll be giving out class schedules and working on setting up training schedules then too."

"Will there be any other students coming?", Mantis asked. "Or will this be it for now?"

"For now, this is it", Quentin said. "We may end up with more students as time goes on, but for the time being, I think we're set."

"I've set up physicals for everyone over the next few days and then we can begin physical training and start working with the kids on their powers", Julia said.

"I've already contacted Hank McCoy and he's sending me drills that were made with Quicksilver in mind, as well as drills made for the former Avenger known as Sandman, which I can adapt to work for Alicia. So we'll be able to start working with Alicia and Jo Ann almost immediately. Wolvie is sending a training routine over for Akiko and I'll be working with Link, Mickey and Bradley since they have powers that I'm familiar with that are similar to Jean Grey's and my best friend, Raine's", Dani said.

"And I will be working on training the children in forms of martial arts and self-defense", Mantis said. "This one would also suggest that Quentin works out with Bradley and they help train each other in adaption to their wolf personas."

"That's not a bad idea", Quentin admitted. "My wolf form is a bit wild and could use some refinement in the fighting style. Maybe Dani can run some of those drills she mentioned with me in my wolf form as well."

"Actually, I'd like to get both you and Barnabas in the Danger Room to run some drills and really push you guys in the use of your abilities", Dani admittted.

"That would be... interesting", Barnabas admitted.

"And this one would be glad to work with both of you on your fighting styles", Mantis smiled. "While both of you are skilled fighters, there is much area for improvement and that could be important, should your powers ever fail you."

"It can't hurt", Quentin admittted. "What do you think, Barnabas?"

"I long to see the day that I no longer have these powers for that would mean the curse has ended", Barnabas said grimly. "But there is wisdom in your words and I am willing to learn what I can."

"Excellent", Mantis smiled. "This one is looking forward to working with each of you."

"So we're pretty much all on track on what we need to be doing?", Quentin asked of the group.

"We'll work with the students, both individually as well as in groups to not only expand their education, but also train in survival skills and the use of their assorted powers, both as singles and as part of a team", Dani said.

"I just thought of something", Julia remarked. "I'll be teaching biology and physics and I know that Dani will be helping with the business and math classes."

"And I'll be working with the children on history and ethics", Barnabas said.

"And that's all well and good, but who's going to handle the more general stuff, the day to day classes and the basics?", Julia asked.

"Well, we'll be getting different members of the X-Men and Avengers in for guest lectures", Dani said.

"Well, we lucked up because I thought of that", Quentin said. "Dolly will be helping out in that area. She's a former high school teacher with a background in general education."

"That's all well and good, but....", Julia started to say, but Quentin cut her off.

"I wasn't finished", he smiled. "Dolly will be helping out as needed, but I made some phone calls and hired a very special lady to come down and help us out as a teacher."

"Who?", Julia asked.

"Someone that you and Barnabas should be very familiar with", Quentin smiled. "She helped us on our recent trip to the Underworld."

Suddenly, the sound of a ringing doorbell echoed throughout the house.

"And that should be her right there", Quentin smiled as he got up and went to answer the door.

Quentin opened the door and lightning flashed, revealing the shape of an elderly woman holding a black cat.

"Hello everyone. My name is Agatha Harkness. And I'm very happy to be here at your school."

**

Meanwhile, as the adults were adapting to the idea that the witch, Agatha Harkness, would be teaching at their school, the students were together and discussing matters of their own.

"So what they're going to do is give us code-names and ask us to decide on a team name as well", Jacques told the other students.

"How do yoo know this", Mickey Silk asked.

"That's what they did at Xaiver's other schools. It's kind of a tradition.", Jacques replied. "So I think we should beat them to the punch and have our code names, as well as our team names decided before they bring it up."

"So how do we do this?", Alicia asked. "I ain't never went by no other name that my own."

"Let's just start first by going around the room and introducing ourselves", Jacques said. "We can say who we are, what our powers are, and what name we want to use. And then, after everyone has picked a code name to use, then we can work on deciding a team name."

"Who wants to start?", Link asked.

"I will", Jacques said. "My name is Jacques and I'm an empath, as well as a long range teleporter. My Mom is Mantis and my father is a member of the alien race called the Cotati, so I'm only half human. My destiny is to be something called the Celestial Messiah, although I've decided to write my own destiny. And I go by the code name of Starr, since I used to live in outer space. Who's next?"

"Well, my name is Lorne Lincoln", Link said. "But I've been called Link for as long as I can remember. I'm a telekenetic with talents of mime, juggling and cleaning up after Mickey."

"Very funny", Mickey said. "Well, my name is Mickey Silk, but most people refer to me as Poltergeist. I'm not sure if I'm the poltergeist or if there is a poltergeist that lives in me, but I've got telekenetic powers and when I get scared or upset, things go crazy. I've gotten more control over things as I've gotten older, but it still scares me sometimes."

"Only a fool is not scared by what they can't control", Akiko said. "My name is Akiko and I'm from Japan. I don't have any powers like the rest of you, but I've been trained in combat, tracking and survival and ninja by some of the very best in the world, Yukio and my foster father, Wolverine. And if I must use a code-name, I will be known as "The Rose"

"Isn't that a flower", Mickey asked.

"I don't know", Akiko replied. "But Yukio always called me by that name when I was little and she was telling me good night."

"Works for me", Jacques said. "What about you, Bradley?"

"My name is Bradley Black and I'm a proud member of the Quiluete indian tribe", Bradley responded. "I'm what you would commonly refer to as a werewolf, meaning that I can shape-shift into the form of a large, gray wolf. And henceforth, I shall be called Black Wolf."

Alicia spoke up next.

"Well, my name is Alicia Gentry and I have the power to change part or all of my body into water and control water as well, through whar Dr. Hoffman told me, is psionic means. And as for a name, I think I'll be called Vapor."

"My name is Daniel Robinson", Daniel spoke up next. "My father is a mortal man, but my mother is the Greek Goddess of the Moon, Diana and I am the ward of Athena, Greek Goddess of Wisdom. I've lived on Olympus, but now, my family wants me to embrace my mortal heritage and live on earth. I am also a mutant with the ability to soeak to and communicate with most forms of animal life.

"Wow", Alicia said. "From Olympus?"

"Come on man, tell the truth", Bradley said.

"I am telling the truth", Daniel said. "And is it really so hard to believe considering your own origins?"

"It's true", Jacques said. "Hercules himself brought Daniel here."

"Cool", Mickey said.

"So what code name are you going to use", Link asked.

"I don't know", Daniel said.

"We'll get back to you on that", Jacques smiled. "And who's left? Jo Ann?"

"Well, my name is Jo Ann Steen and I can move at super-speeds, kind of like that Quicksilver guy or that one in the comics, The Flash. And as for my nickname, I want to be known as Streak."

"So there you go", Jacques said. "We've all got nicknames we can use, except for Daniel. Thought of anything yet?"

"Not really", Daniel said.

"I know", Bradley interjected. "We'll just call you Animal since you talk to animals."

"That's not fair", Alicia said.

"Well, how about Piper?", Jo Ann said. "I remember a story about a Piper leading all the mice and rodents out of Ireland."

"I think it was Scotland", Link said, "but I see where you're coming from. He talked to the mice through his music and they listened and since Daniel can talk to animals too..."

"Hmmmmm! Piper", said Daniel. "I like it! And by the way, I do know how to play the pipes. I was taught by Apollo himself."

"So Piper it is for Daniel", Jacques laughed. "So we've all got code names. Now we need to settle on a group name. Any suggestions?"

Everyone looked around at each other and shoulders shrugged.

Finally, Bradley spoke up.

"I know the perfect name for this group", he said. "We're like a family... a pack. So why not just use the group name Wolfpack?"

"I don't know. We're not all wolves", Link said.

"I kind of like it", Mickey said.

"As do I", Daniel said.

"Let's take a vote", Jacques said. "All in favor, raise your hands."

He looked around at his friends who had raised their hands.

"All opposed", Jacques asked.

Only Link raised his hand.

"So it looks like the ayes have it", Jacques said.

"So who wants to tell everyone downstairs", Jo Ann said.

"We'll do it in the morning at the Assembly", Alicia said.

"Heck yeah! Long live the Wolfpack", Bradley laughed.

**

The next morning was the first school assembly. Quentin Collins spoke to the students about what was expected of them at the new Stoddard Institute, followed by brief words by all of the prominent members of staff, Barnabas, Julia Hoffman, Mantis, Dani Moonstar, Dolly Donahue and Agatha Harkness. And then the students were given the opportunity to speak.

One by one, the students gave their names and new code-names that they had decided upon the night before. And they spoke of what they hoped to accomplish in their lives, in their future, while at the school and beyond. And a vow, a committment, was made as each of these men and women, human, mutant, vampire, werewolf, demi-god, alien, witch, etc... all would work together to learn, to achieve, to better themselves and the world around them.

And finally, as a special way to really seal the deal, Agatha Harkness, at the urging of Headmaster Quentin Collins, cast a spell of great magic that filled the air. And a box appeared. And in that box were rings, with a special engravement of a wolf howling at the moon, surrounded by the school colors and logo.

"And this final gift, from us to you", Quentin told the staff and students, "is a physical symbol of the bond we now all share, not just as members of the Stoddard Institute of Higher Learning, but as friends, and family... and a team. We're in this together and sink or swim, we're here to make a difference and not just succeed, but thrive. Long live the Stoddard Institute and long live the Wolfpack!"

And everyone broke into a loud cheer, for a new era had definitely began.

The End...(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment