Saturday, June 25, 2011

School Days: Rise Of The Master (Part 5)

By the time he had gotten back to the school, Quentin had made a decision. As he parked his car in the garage at the school, he was met by his associate, Dr. Julia Hoffman.

"So how are things going at Collinwood?", Julia asked Quentin as she walked with him into the house.

"Fair", Quentin said. "Elizabeth was still resting when I left. Mantis is keeping an eye on everyone."

"I'll go over there this afternoon and check on her", Julia noted. "Any progress on finding that vampire that murdered Mrs. Johnson?"

"Not yet", Quentin admitted. "Dani is checking out some things and Mantis mentioned some ideas about how to track him, but nothing of any major significance yet. How are things here at the school?"

"Dolly and Agatha have taken over in the classes and everything seems to be quiet, for now. But I think Bradley and Jacques have been stirring the pot by telling everyone about what happened over at Collinwood. I've noticed a lot of whispering and anxiety among the students."

"I figured as much", Quentin sighed. "Any signs of rebellion from the kids yet?"

"What do you mean?", Julia asked.

"Dani seems to suspect that the kids will be trying to do something on their own and probably go after the vampire if we're not careful."

"Why does she suspect that?", Julia asked.

"Because it's what she would have done when she was a student", Quentin said. "And truthfully, it's what I would do too. Everyone here is quite fond of Elizabeth and when this vampire threatened her, it stirred everyone up."

"So what should we do about it?", Julia asked.

"As much as I hate the thought, I think we should include the students in helping to hunt down this vampire."

"I don't like that idea", Julia admitted.

"Nor do I", Quentin agreed. "But we've been training them to use their powers and they're all quite capable. And I'd much rather have them helping us with adult supervision rather than going off on their own. And I'm scared they might do that if we don't include them."

"You're probably right", Julia agreed. "Why don't we run some training drills in the Danger Room with vampires to see how they react and decide then. We can do that this afternoon."

"Whatever we do, we have to be honest with the kids", Quentin said. "Running those drills is probably a good idea. I could use some practice myself."

"I'll speak with Agatha and see if she can help", Julia said. "But if we're going to involve the kids, I think that everyone should be as prepared as possible."

"I'll go set up the drills now", Quentin said. "And after classes end, I'll gather the students and fill them in on everything."

"That would be wise", Julia agreed. "If we coordinate and work together as a team, the risks should be minimal for everyone."

"I hope so", Quentin said. "If anyone needs me, I'll be setting up those drills."

"I've got a few things to do myself before I head to Collinwood. I'll inform Barnabas, Mantis and Dani of our plans when I get there and we can coordinate from there tonight."

"Fine", Quentin said. "I'll talk at you later."

**

Meanwhile, in an abandoned old house on the outskirts of Collinsport...

The young fledgling vampire, James, was woken by a violent jerk.

"What?", he muttered, opening his eyes and quickly reverting to his vampire face.

"What have you done, you fool!", a voice rang out.

James looked and standing there before him were several of his fellow vampires.

"What? What do you mean?", James asked, turning to his friend, Lawrence, who was the defacto leader of the small group of vampires?

"You went to Collinwood, didn't you?", the older vampire asked. "Didn't you?"

"Well, yeah", James admitted. "I was hungry and I figured that old woman at the house would be tasty. Didn't get to find out. Got the maid though."

"You stupid idiot", Lawrence screamed, slapping a heavy hand across James' face. "Collinwood is off limits! You fool!"

"Why? Why is Collinwood off limits?", James asked, rubbing his face where he had just been struck.

"Collinwood is under the protection of the Collins family... you remember, don't you? Barnabas Collins? Quentin Collins?"

"Oh yeah", James said. "I remember meeting them when I was young and still human. Even did some work for Barnabas Collins. What about them?"

"Are you that stupid?", Lawrence screamed at the feldgling vampire. "We're supposed to avoid them. Barnabas is a vampire. Quentin is a werewolf. They are extremely dangerous and powerful and kill our kind."

"So what?", James said. "There are a dozen of us. Why do we fear this Barnabas Collins? He's just another vampire. We could destroy him and take over Collinsport."

""Maybe we could and maybe we couldn't", Lawrence sighed in frustration. "Others have tried. We were told not to attract his attention. And now, you idiot, you go after one of his family members.. and you didn't kill her!"

"She pulled out a cross and I panicked", James admitted. "I'll go back and kill her tonight. No big deal!"

"Yes, it is a big deal", Lawrence screamed at him. "Barnabas Collins is at Collinwood. He and his associates are looking for you. And now, because of your stupidity, we're all in danger."

"He's just one vampire", James said. "Why are you so scared of him?"

"Because he's not just a vampire", Lawrence said quietly. "He's Barnabas Collins. Even The Master fears him."

"The Master? He doesn't fear anyone... except the Slayer maybe?", James said.

"All I know is that The Master told us to stay away from Collinwood and don't attract the attention of Barnabas Collins. And you had to freakin' go to Collinwood itself and kill one of their people."

"It's just the maid", James said.

"You moron", Lawrence sighed. "We need to leave this area immediately. It's not safe for anyone in our family now. Just be glad The Master doesn't know."

"The Master doesn't know what?", a voice echoed through the house.

Lawrence and James turned. And there stood a slightly withered old man with a bald head and a vicious, evil look covering his face. It was The Master.

"Now what do you have to tell me?", The Master scowled as he glared at his two minion vampires.

**
At the Stoddard Institute in the Danger Room...

"So what you're going to do is take out the vampire", Quentin told his students as they surrounded him.

"All of us against one vampire?", Daniel Robinson, aka Piper said. "It hardly seems fair."

"It wouldn't be", Quentin said. "So you're going to do it one at a time."

"Ouch", Link said.

"Exactly", Quentin said. "Since I've got the most experience with vampires, I'll go first, followed by Bradley, since he's also had encounters with vampires."

"My pack back home has killed a lot of those nasty blood su.... vampires", Bradley bragged.

"So how many have you killed", Akiko asked with a smirk.

"Well, none yet", Bradley admitted. "But part of being part of the Pack back home is I've got the memories from the kills everyone else has experienced."

"Not quite the same as being there, but close enough", Mikey Silk remarked.

"Shut up, Poltergeist", Bradley sneered.

"We'll each do a solo session first", Quentin said. "And then we'll run sessions in groups of three."

"Are we all going to do this", Alicia Gentry, aka Vapor asked.

"With your powers to change your form into water, you should not have much to worry about", Quentin remarked.

"I can't wait to use my speed against those creeps", Jo Ann Steen, aka Streak, spoke up.

"Most vampires can also move at superhuman speeds", Quentin noted to the young mutant. "Although they tend to move in short bursts of speed rather than being able to sustain it like you do."

"So I should have the advantage?", Jo Ann replied.

"In speed", Quentin said. "But they have the edge in strength, endurance, invunerability, and downright viciousness, not to mention fighting skills."

"Ouch", Jo Ann said.

"But that's why we're running these drills", Quentin told his students. "So we will know what to expect and be able to use our knowledge and skills to counter their abilities and take them down. I don't want any of you going into this unprepared and getting hurt. I'm still reluctant to have you kids help us find the vampire that threatened Elizabeth, but since I know I can't make you stay here at the school and do nothing, I want everyone as prepared as possible."

A voice came down from the control booth above...

"Are you ready, Quentin?", she asked.

"I guess", Quentin replied.

"So all of you students come up here to the control booth to watch. And Quentin, go to the far end of the room. Let's get started."

**
"So you decided to go to Collinwood and feast on the family maid", The Master asked the young vampire, James.

"Yes", James said, his head down in respect.

"And you allowed him to do so, despite knowing that I did not want Barnabas Collins to be aware of your presence in this area", the Master said to Lawrence.

"I didn't know untit it was too late", Lawrence tried to protest, but The Master quicky shushed him up.

"Be quiet", The Master scowled. "Come here, Lawrence", he commanded.

Lawrence walked slowly over and stood in front of The Master. The Master looked at him and smiled and then gave a nod.

"NO! NO!", Lawrence screamed as The Master quickly drew a long knife and using his super speed and strength, took a swipe and in one sweep, took Lawrence's head clean off his body. Lawrence's body quickly exploded in a cloud of dust.

"And as for you... James was it?", The Master sneered.

James just held his head down as The Master approached him. The Master took James' head in his hands and lifted his head to look him in the eyes.

"So you know the Collins family and you've been inside Collinwood?", The Master asked the trembling young vampire.

"Yes sir", James said. "I've lived in this area my whole life. I used to do work at Collinwood. That's why Mrs. Johnson invited me in last night."

"Are you scared of Barnabas Collins?", The Master asked James.

"No sir", James replied.

"Neither am I", The Master smiled. "And with your help, my young friend... we shall destroy Barnabas Collins and make Collinsport a virtual hell on earth!"

"Sir?", James asked.

"We're going to have some fun, my child", The Master laughed. "And that Judas vampire, Barnabas Collins and anyone who allies themselves with him will soon be dead!"

No comments:

Post a Comment