Thursday, September 15, 2011

(Retro) Alice, Groucho, A Beatle, And A Bed - November 6, 2009

An Interesting Story About Alice, Groucho, A Beatle And A Bed

This comes from the biography, "Aice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'N' Rollers 12 Steps To Becoming A Golf Addict" by Alice Cooper. It's a great book, available at Amazon.com and wherever fine books are sold. If you're an Alice fan - or a golf addict, check it out...

This is a story Alice tells about himself, Groucho Marx, Paul McCartney and a bed...

One day I was over at Groucho's house when he said, "C'mere Alice."

I followed him into his room and he showed me a giant round bed taken from some movie he had made during the 1930's.
"Alice, would you like this bed?"

"Sure. If it's your bed. Yeah, I want it."
"Take it. I never had much luck with it."

Groucho wore these silly Mickey Mouse ears and smoked his cigar as he supervised the removal of the round bed.

"Move to the left just a little bit. No, your left, not my left." It took four guys to get Groucho's huge round bed out of his house. We knocked paintings off the wall. It was a scene right out of a Marx Brothers movie. Finally, I took the bed and I put it in my house.

Later, Sheryl and I were in England and Paul and Linda McCartney invited us to their place in Mull of Kintyre in Scotland. Paul wanted to show me his farmhouse, where they had this big round room, a conservatory.

"What's this room going to be?" I asked Paul.

"This will be my meditation room."

"Have I got a house gift for you!"

I shipped him Groucho's round bed. Paul read the card: "I hope this bed is luckier for you than it was for us. Signed, Groucho Marx and Alice Cooper."

The round bed now lives in McCartney's house, in the round room. He said that after he put Groucho's bed in, suddenly it no longer felt like a meditation room anymore. He turned the room into something different.

We told Paul, "If you ever get tired of the bed, send it to somebody else. It has a history now."

And there you go - a little Cooper and Groucho / Beatle interaction - just the perfect thing to start off the morning.

And on a related note, the bed I currently sleep in, a big old Queen sized with an extra mattress (it's very comfy) - my sister gave that bed to me when she bought a new one. And it was given to her by a friend of hers. So I guess, in keeping with tradition, when I get tired of it (not any time soon), I'll have to give it to someone too at some point. After all, it's got a history.... LMAO!

And there you go...

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment