Monday, September 26, 2011

(Retro) For The Birds - February 25, 2009

February 25, 2009
For The Birds

Nothing fancy today. I just want to talk about something that happened yesterday that was just... I don't know. Odd isn't the right word and neither is fascinating. I'm not sure how to describe it or why it's become imbedded into my mind so graphically.

I was sitting here at my computer yesterday afternoon. I was typing on the computer, probably doing a survey or something and talking on my cell to a extremely cool person. My desk is right next to a window that looks out into my front yard and I wasn't really paying much attention to the outside. I was just chatting and typing and doing my thing when I heard a big thud against the window next to me.

I nearly jumped out of my seat and had a classic "Fred G. Sanford / Fat Man" heart attack.

A small bird, about the size of a golf ball, had rammed head first into my window.

I looked out the window and could see the small body on the ground and he was out cold. I thought he was dead at first, but I could see just the littlest bit of twitching. But aside from that, this little fellow wasn't moving at all. It was kind of pitiful.

I stood and watched for a bit, wondering if I should go outside and do anything. I made Ma keep the cat inside, but aside from that, I decided to just watch and see what happened.

After about five minutes, the bird's beak started moving and although he was still lying on the ground, I could just imagine that he was muttering and cussing to himself about running into that "damn window".

This continued for a bit and then finally, as I stood in my window watching, the bird slowly stood up. He was wobbly and uneasy, but he was standing.

He stood there for a few minutes and then started to hop / walk around a bit, just to get his bearings, I suppose.

And then, finally, probably a full fifteen minutes after he had rammed into the window, the small bird stood tall. He looked around as if to make sure that no one had seen him knock himself senseless.

And then, he took off into the air.

And I just stood there, watching as this amazing small creature took flight.

And then I went and got ready for another night at work.

But I just thought it was cool. The bird had an accident, a potentially fatal one, and just shrugged it off to once again soar among the clouds.

There's a moral there somewhere.

I don't feel like trying to figure it out though.


I just thought it was pretty awesome anyhow.

Until the next time, I'm outta here.

Ubuntu!

No comments:

Post a Comment