Saturday, March 10, 2012

(Flashback) Tossing Salt - Worldwide News: 12/15/03

Tossing Salt - 12/15/03

What up, Informants? Greetings and welcome to another edition of "Tossing Salt!" I'm Doug M., the Wrestling Informer's resident degenerate, freshly back safe and secure in my little room, deep in the basement of Wrestling Informer HQ, with a big bunch of stuff to talk about. I say "back safe" because this past weekend, Saturday to be exact, I went through the ultimate day of Christmas Hell! And I lived to tell about it. I'll go into details about that in just a little bit.

Plus, I've got all sorts of news items from Japan, a new WWE wrestling CD, some top stars are calling it quits, Armageddon results and thoughts, and so much more. I've also got match results from New Japan and Zero One, as well as some match results from Italian Championship Wrestling. And I had the strangest wrestling related dream. There's so much ground to cover.

Also, before I forget, there will be no more "Bobby Heenan Quotes" for a while. I love the "Brain", but I'm going to give him a break for a few weeks and rotate different personalities and their words of wisdom. Tonite it's Jim Cornette. After that, it's anyone's guess. But enough of my rambling. Let's get this bad mama jama started with some:

ASSORTED SPICES:

Zero One has started promoting the appearance of former World Champion Bil Goldberg for their upcoming Hustle-1 Show on 1/4. Pride employee and referee Yuji Shimada came to the ring during the 12/14 Zero One event and played a video letter from Nobuhiko Takada for the fans. Takada talked some junk and called Naoya Ogawa & Shin'ya Hashimoto "little kids". He said he wanted them to see a "genuine superstar" and Bill Goldberg came into view. This is to set up a tag team main event for the 1/4 show with Takada & Goldberg versus Ogawa & Hashimoto. After the video played, Zero - One boss Nakamura then came down to the ring and chased Shimada out of the arena.

A lot of retirements to report on from over in Japan. Tatsumi Fujinami, the former president of New Japan and a former WCW champion, has officially retired in the wake of his dismissal from power by Tetsuo Baisho & Antonio Inoki. Despite earlier speculation, Fujinami will not be wrestling a retirement match at the 1/4 Tokyo Dome show. Right now, he just seems more concerned about holding on to his office position.

There is also much legitimate concern in New Japan that Masa Chono may be forced to retire soon. He has been a very vocal critic of plans for restructuring New Japan by Tetsuo Bashio and Antonio Inoki. But they control the money and power in NJ, and may force him to be silent by forcing him to retire if he doesn't start being less vocal about New Japan and the backstage politics and power games.

Over at A to Z Wrestling, Ai Fujita has announced that she will be leaving the promotion after the 12/21 Korakuen Hall show. Her plans are to spend six months working as a free agent, and then retiring from wrestling in the Spring of 2004. Kayo Noumi is also planning on leaving the company, and the wrestling business in the Spring of 04 as well.

The WWE is releasing a new CD, called "WWE - Originals" that will be available in the UK on January 12, 2004. It's 17 songs featuring WWE talent singing songs, as you've never heard them before. A special DVD is to be released along with some of the first copies. This really looks like it might be a fun CD to listen to. Some of the tracks listed as being on the album include Steve Austin singing "Where's the Beer?", Kurt Angle's version of "I Don't Suck", Chris Jericho singing "Don't You Wish You Were Me?", more "Stone Cold" with "Drink Your Beer", and Rikishi doing "Put A Little Ass On It." There are more tracks by such WWE stars as John Cena, Lilian Garcia, The Dudleys, Booker T, Trish, and more.

Does anyone else remember the album by the WWE where they did "Land of A Thousand Dances"? Mean Gene did "Tutti Frutti" and JYD did "Grab Them Cakes". I have the tape somewhere, and I may have to go try and hunt it down. The thought of a new WWE album has me feeling a little nostalgic. I just wonder if Dave Wolff or Monica Flambe' (aka Cyndi Lauper) are involved in any sort of way? I doubt it, but wouldn't it be kind of nice?

JIM CORNETTE QUOTE OF THE NIGHT # 1:
(Talking about Sable)
"The way I heard it, she already had a couple of positions up in Titan Towers."

I want to take a moment and thank everyone who responded to my plead for help regarding the Christmas shopping for my nieces and nephew (and the demon spawn). Why is it when I ask a wrestling related question, my mailbox stays quiet, but when I talk about Christmas shopping for 3 teenagers, the advice starts pouring in? Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

I decided on...well, I can't say because I know Parker and he likes to see what "Uncle Doug" writes about on the internet.. but all the suggestions were considered, and I think I've come up with something that will stay within my budget, but help me keep my status as the "good uncle" as well. Especially thanks to Miss Val, Jenn, and Suzie Q. It's good to know I always have somewhere to turn when I need some advice on something.

Another quick non-wrestling thingee to speak of, and then I'll get back to business. This past Saturday was the ultimate Christmas day from hell for me. Let me cliffnote it so you can get an idea what I went through.

I get up at 4:00am to go to work. I have to be there by 5:00am. Saturday is slow, so I work alone. But it's the Christmas parade today, right in front of the store. The whole town is out for the parade, and it's non stop from around 8:00am to quitting time at 3:30pm. Things are crazy and I'm totally exhausted. Go straight to the house and shower and change clothes.

My friend Tian picks me up at 5:20pm and we go to the Middle School for a band concert by my niece. It drags forever. The music was good, but the teachers and principals need to learn when to shut up. I sneak out of there at 8:00pm and it's off to meet Tatz. Time for the office Christmas party.

Two and a half hours of talking, hanging out, and watching a guy go from quiet and polite to a total obnoxious drunk ass (and no it was not me! I didn't drink because I had to be up at 5:00am the next morning). I got to learn who's doing who, and all the little secrets of Tatz's place of employment. Then all the alcohol started taking effect and we had a conga line going. Then they started playing the song "YMCA" by the Village People, and I knew it was time to go.

It was fun, I guess. And I got a chance to get dressed up a little bit, which totally shocked everyone. Most people who know me have never seen me in anything but shorts, jeans, or t-shirts. And here I am, wearing a tie for the first time since graduation.

Well, Christmas is the time for miracles. But from 5:30am to 11:00pm - it was Christmas parade, the band concert, and then the party. I've had my fill of Christmas celebration, to be sure. So, if you hear me over hear loudly proclaiming "Bah! Humbug!" at everything and everyone - you now know why.

JIM CORNETTE QUOTE OF THE NIGHT # 2:
"I like to take advantage of the simple minded because I can."

ARMAGEDDON RESULTS AND THOUGHTS:

Last night was the WWE Armageddon PPV in Orlando. For those of you who may have missed it, I've got the results. Plus a few words of wisdom as it relates to certain events that happened.

(Heat) Rico (with Miss Jackie defeated John Heidenreich

It was good to see Rico finally win one. He's been pretty consistant for a while and really deserves a good push. I love the character - Adrian Street should be very proud - and I just hope this is the start of something good for Rico and Jackie Gayda.

Booker T. defeated Mark Henry
I just can't understand why Booker was getting saddled with Mark Henry in a match anyhow? He deserves much better.

Randy Orton defeated RVD to capture the Intercontinential Championship
This guy has a great future ahead of him and the IC title is just the beginning.

Chris Jericho & Christian defeated Lita & Trish in the "Battle of the Sexes"
Vitamin C. won the battle, but who will win the war?

HBK Shawn Michaels beat Batista
The "showstoppa" is still the "main event" in the WWE. 'Nuff said!

Matt Hardy defeated Maven

Matt opened up some Mattitude on Maven before the match could even start. MAven couldn't wrestle so Matt declared himself the winner. People with Mattitude can do that!

Tag Team Turmoil - World Tag Team Titles
Order of Elimination:

La Resistance was eliminated by Rosey & The Hurricane

Rosey & The Hurricane eliminated by Jindrak & Cade

Lance Storm & Val Venis eliminated by Jindrak & Cade

Jindrak & Cade eliminated by the Dudley Boys

Test & Scott Steiner eliminated by the Dudley Boys

(Eric Bischoff comes out and enters a 7th team - Ric Flair & Batista)

Ric Flair and Batista eliminate the Dudley Boys.
New Champs: Ric Flair and Batista (Evolution)
I totally love this, if for no other reason than to see Ric Flair, the greatest of all time, holding some gold around his waist one more time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time Flair was a tag team champion was in 1979 when he held the NWA World Tag Team Championships with Blackjack Mulligan. Now, 24 years later, he's a tag champ again. This adds so much life to a stale RAW tag team division. The Dudleys are OK, but the act is stale and was just boring to me. Ric is 54 and can still work circles around 95% of the guys going today. Batista is a monster of a man. You got brains and experience with Ric - power and muscle with Batista - and Evolution gets their second belt of the evening.

Molly Holly defeats Ivory to retain the Women's Championship
This match sucks. I like Molly, but Ivory is the greatest diva around. She needs to be champ. Or at least needs me to help console her over her narrow loss. Don't worry, my beloved. I'm always here for you!

Triple Threat - World Championship
Triple H defeats Bill Goldberg & Kane to become the new World Champion.
A clean sweep for Evolution, so far as gold goes. Congrats to HHH. He is truly the "GAME!".

JIM CORNETTE QUOTE OF THE NIGHT # 3:
Mark Henry: I came here tonite to impress my fans.
Jim Cornette: Keep pointing, Mark. Maybe you'll find one.

ADDITIONAL SEASONINGS:

ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING 12/13/03 Genova, Italy
ICW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Puck & White Crow (w/Nyla) defeated the champions Los Anticristos to win the championship.
Raiss over Kyo Kazame
II Marchese & Psycho Mike (with Syrus & La Contessa) defeated Mr. Excellent & The Judge
Pain (with Queen Maya) beat White Crow (with Nyla)
Golden Hornet stopped Darkness by DQ
NO LIMITS MATCH
Puck (with Nyla & Crow) beat Ulster
ICW KING OF WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP
La Tigre defeated Tsunami to retain his championship.

NEW JAPAN 12/14/03 Nagoya Aiichi Rainbow Hall
Naofumi Yamamoto defeated Akiya Anzawa in 5:09
Toru Yano over Wataru Inoue in 6:19
Blue Wolf beat Shadow in 7:04
El Samurai & Jushin Liger stopped Hirooki Goto & Ryusuke Taguchi in 11:40
Masayuki Naruse, Tatsutoshi Goto, & Takashi Iizuka beat Mitsuya Nagai, Ryushi Yanagisawa, & Makai # 1 in 10:41
Tiger Mask & Manabu Nakanishi defeated The American Dragon & Scott Norton in 13:36
Shin'ya Makabe beat Yoshihiro Takayama in 8:24
Shinsuke Nakamura & Minoru Suzuki beat Josh Barnett & Yuji Nagata in 12:21
IWGP JR. CHAMPIONSHIP
Heat defeated Jadoh in 7:45 to capture the IWGP Jr. Championship.
IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONHIP
Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Osamu Nishimura defeated Yutaka Yoshie & Hiroshi Tanahoshi in 38:08

ZERO ONE 12/14/03 Ryogoku Kokugikan (Sumo Hall)
Low Ki & Naohiro Hoshikawa beat Mikey Henderson & Kyohei Mikami in 15:48
Tatsuhito Takaiwa, Don Arakawa, & Yoshiaki Fujiwara beat Yoshito Sasaki, Ikuto Nidaka, & Vansack Acid in 9:26
HANDICAP MATCH
Predator & Jason the Legend beat Katsuhisa Fujii, Tengu Kaiser, & Jun Kasai in 9:36
Kazuhiko Ogasawara stopped Akia Kobayashi in 4:46
Kohei Sato & Hiro Yokoi beat Steve Corino & Jerry Lynn in 11:59
INTERNATIONAL JR. CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Wataru Sakata defeated Tetsuhiro Kuroda in 14:49
Masato Tanaka & Shinjiro Ohtani defeated Takao Omori & Tom Howard in 17:00
Naoya Ogawa & Toshiaki Kawada wrestled to a no-contest in 18:36
Shin'ya Hashimoto defeated Riki Choshu
Takashi Uwano stoppped Osamu Ruko in 50 seconds
Yokoi beat Uwano in 1:19
Ichiro Yaguchi beat Shinsuke Sumiya in 3:18
Sato over Yaguchi in 4:49
Tomohiro Ishii defeated Yoshito Sasaki in 6:20
Takaiwa over Ishii in 8:00
Hashimoto over Choshu in 14:26 when the referee stopped the match.

JIM CORNETTE QUOTE # 4:
"Pimpin' ain't easy, but it sure looks fun."

And I guess that's gonna do it for tonite. I was going to tell you all about a really strange dream I had a few nights ago, but I really don't have the time to get into it right now. RAW comes on in just a few minutes, and I have to get ready to do the RAW recap. Maybe I'll get into it tommorow night. Remember, if you have any questions or comments, give me a holler at either Doug28352@yahoo.com or at DougMaynard@WrestlingInformer.net. That's all for tonite. Have a great holiday season. I'm Doug M. Until next time, take it light.

No comments:

Post a Comment