Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 12

Later that evening, Dr. Pym and Barnabas are talking in the medical facilities.

"So you feel you've been able to modify the serum that Julia originally created?", Barnabas asked.

"I think so. Dr. Hoffman was so far ahead of her time, it's amazing. She was a brilliant scientist", Pym said. "With her notes and journal, I've been able to isolate several genes in your bloodwork that relate to different aspects of your curse. Using her work and making some modifications based upon my own biochecmical research, I think we may be able to make those particular genes behave as we desire them to."

"Which means what, in layman's terms", Barnabas asked.

"It means you'll still have all of your vampiric powers and still be essentially immortal", Pym said, "but you'll be free of the fear from sunlight - you'll be able to walk in the light just as we all do."

"That's wonderful, Doctor", Barnabas replied, "but what about the cravings for blood, the vampiric curse that requires me to consume human blood?"

"Using more of Dr. Hoffman's notes, I've developed a serum that should not only allow you to resist the cravings, but will act as a viable substitute for human blood. One shot a day, much like insulin for a diabetic, and the desire for blood, the cravings, should be a thing of the past", Pym answered.

"So how will my body survive? Surely your chemical will not be able to substitute as food or drink?", Barnabas questioned.

"No, you'll have to eat and drink as a normal man to keep up your strength. The serum I've developed will take care of the essentials that blood provided and allow you to retain your vampiric abilities, but aside from those talents, you'll be fully functional as a normal human as well, able to eat, drink, survive the sunlight, and so on", Pym said.

"I'm in your debt, Doctor", Barnabas said with a slight smile.

"You're a friend, Barnabas. It's my pleasure", Pym commented. "Besides, no one is keeping score!"

As the two men continued to talk, Quentin Collins watched from the doorway. He had started to interupt, but felt that would not be right. So instead he stepped back out of sight and just watched quietly.

"It looks like Barnabas may soon be free of his curse", Quentin thought to himself. "That's good. He's suffered so much over the years. He deserves to be happy. Good luck to you, Cousin. Much happiness - you deserve it!"

Quentin then walked off on down the hall of the vast Avengers Castle. While listening to Dr. Pym speak, Barnabas felt the near presence of his wayward cousin in his mind and glanced over towards the doorway. He felt the words of Quentin in his mind and smiled.

"Barnabas, what is it?", Pym asked.

"Just a pleasant feeling", Barnabas answered. "Just a pleasant feeling!"

**

Meanwhile, in the Dungeon, Spitfire and Mantis were overseeing a 'Danger Room' session with Iceman, The Living Lightning and Jacques.

"So what we want to do, Jacques, is to test your powers and see exactly what you're capable of", Spitfire said.

"This one is not sure if he's ready for this", Mantis commented.

"We should have done this before allowing him to travel with Druid into Quentin's mind", Spitfire said. "This is the best way to help him... and us understand just exactly what Jacques is capable of and what his powers are."

"I'm still not sure about this", Mantis said.

"I'll be fine, Mother", Jacques smiled. "And both Bobby and Manuel are here with me to make sure that nothing goes wrong."

"Famous last words", Iceman laughed as the Living Lightning just smiled in agreement.

"So are you ready?", Spitfire asked.

"I am", Jacques said with a smile as he stood proud and tall in the center of the room.

"So the objective is simply to cross the room and hit the red button on the far wall", Spitfire said.

"I am ready", Jacques said.

"I can't watch", said Mantis as she covered her eyes.

"And we start... NOW!", Spitfire said as she pushed a button on the computer console in front of her.

**

In the holding facilities, Dr. Druid and Hercules once more sat speaking to their prisoner, Master Pandemonium.

"You can not continue to hold me like this", Pandemonium said. "My master will not allow it!"

"Shut thy mouth, cur", Hercules said. "Thou shall not be our responsibility much longer!"

"What?", Pandemonium screeched.

"Indeed. In just a few hours, you shall be the responsibility of the Weird Happenings Organization", Druid said.

"So this shall be yon last opportunity to speak truthfully before being removed", Hercules added.

"I have nothing to say to you", Master Pandemonium sneered.

"Insolent cur", Hercules stammered, moving towards the energy field holding Pandemonium.

"Don't let him rile you, Olympian", Druid said, putting an arm out to block Hercules. "There are other ways to find out what we want to know."

Druid turned and looked directly into the face of the sneering Master Pandemonium. He stared deeply into the eyes of the demon and said, "Viper, Yellow Claw and Barnabas - do not think about them!"

"Aaauugh", Pandemonium said as his thoughts automatically went immediately to the subjects he was told not to think of.

And just that quickly, the mental powers of Druid were at work and in the mind of Master Pandemonium.

"Get out of my mind", Pandemonium yelled as he began to thrash and move around the cell.

Druid stepped back and smiled a small smirk. "And I have what I was looking for!"

"You'll pay for this, Druid. This I swear", Pandemonium blasted at the Mage.

"I think not", Druid said. "Come now, Hercules. Stuart and his persons will be here soon. Let's prepare Pandemonium for transport!"

**

Moments later as Druid and Hercules walked from the holding facilities, Hercules turned to Druid.

"What did thou see in the demon's foul mind", Hercules asked.

"Well, there was nothing on Viper that I could see. But I found a reference in his mind to the Yellow Claw. I believe the Claw was the one who send Pandemonium here after Barnabas", Druid answered.

"So he is alive?", Hercules asked.

"Obviously", Druid said. "And thanks to the information I gleamed from the mind of Pandemonium, I think I know where to find him."

"Thou knows where the villian is?", Hercules asked.

"Not exactly", Druid answered. "But after I cross reference a few things I saw in Pandemonium's mind with our computers, I will!"

"And then?", Hercules said.

"And then, the Avengers shall pay the Yellow Claw a visit", Druid said.

**
Meanwhile in Madripoor...

Viper stood up from her desk.

"Being an absolute dictator is such hard work", she yawned as she stretched her arms.

She walked over to a speaker system and pushed a button.

"I'm ready for my dinner", she spoke quietly into the speaker.

"Yes Mistress, immediately", a voice answered from the speaker.

In a matter of seconds, there was a knock at her door. Two men quickly scurried in and brought her a tray of the finest foods, sitting it down at a small table next to the window.

"That will be all", Viper scowled as the two men quickly hurried out of the room.

A quick glance at her meal and Viper sat down to eat, first peppering her dinner with a chemical compound from a small vial in her belt.

"Chemicals to neutralize any poisons", a voice came from the window.

"Of course. I have many enemies who would love to see me dead", Viper remarked as she glanced towards the sound. "What do you want, Widow?"

You're not surprised to see me", the Widow asked.

"No, I've been expecting someone from your organization to turn up eventually", Viper commented.

"What I want to know", the Widow started to say, but Viper halted her with a raise of the hand.

"You realize that as the ruler of Madripoor, I'm well within my rights to have you arrested and executed as a spy", Viper said.

"You're welcome to try", the Widow said. "You wouldn't be the first to do so, but it's far easier said than done."

"I'm feeling generous tonight", Viper said. "So I'll allow you to live. Please, sit."

Viper gestured towards a chair.

"I'll stand. Thank you", the Widow said. "You said you've been expecting someone. Why?"

"The Avengers, even the European group, make the news quite often. I was aware that you recently encountered a group of phoney Hydra agents in Paris", Viper said. "You feel that I was the person responsible for that fiasco."

"Weren't you?", the Widow asked.

"If I was responsible, Paris would not be standing", Viper smiled.

"So if you're not responsible, who was?", the Widow asked.

"My securty was breached several months ago",. Viper said. "I was abducted by a being of mystical powers and used."

"How embarassing", the Widow said grimly.

"I was placed under a hypnotic trance and used to abduct a person you are familiar with, Quentin Collins", Viper said.

"I know Mr. Collins", the Widow said. "Continue!"

"The person responsible for my situation was a Mage of great powers and a most sinister presence", Viper said. "I had no control of the situation. I don't like that!", Viper said.

"So who was this mage?", the Widow asked.

"I can't recall", Viper said. "He used my influence to abduct Mr. Collins and then distract your team in Paris. And when he had used me as he liked, he dismissed me as one would a common servant. I will bathe in his blood for that!"

"So let me get this straight", the Widow commented. "You were abducted, used as an agent and dismissed, all by a Mage of great power who's name you can't recall."

"Yes", Viper agreed.

"So do you have any idea of where to find this mage or of what his agenda is?", Widow asked.

"No. I've told you all I can", Viper smiled. "Find him Avenger and thwart his plans, whatever they are! And he had best pray that I don't find him first!"

"I see", the Widow commented. "If you have anything more to reveal, now is the time to do so."

"That is all", Viper said. "Now leave before I have you executed!"

Viper turned around and no one was there. The Black Widow was gone.

"Find that Mage, Natasha. And thwart his plans. For when it comes time for chaos and evil to reign, it will be I, Viper, who is responsible. And all of you shall bow at my feet, begging for mercy before you die!"

Viper turned and took a sip of wine. "And now, time for dinner!"

**

Several days passed before the team was assembled once more. Several emergencies had presented themselves, requiring the assistance of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Ulik, a Troll from the Realm of Asgard went on a rampage in Rome, only to be brought down by the power of Hercules. Mantis, Spitfire and Lyja had aided local firefighters in quenching a flame that threatened thousands of lives. Barnabas Collins, aided by Issac Christians, Quentin Collins and The Living Lightning, patrolled the dark streets and alleys of London and managed to destroy several vampires. Iceman had encountered and defeated the mutant known as Pyro. Jacques continued to train under the watchful eyes of Dr. Druid and learned several new ways to use his super-abilities. Dr. Pym flew back to New York to rejoin the main team of Avengers. And the Black Widow, freshly returned from her trip to Madripoor, continued to follow every scrap of information and lead to find out who the mysterious force was that Viper had spoken of.

Finally, things slowed down and the heroes managed to gather.

"I have tracked down several possible locations for the Yellow Claw", Dr. Druid explained to his fellow Avengers. "And using logic and the process of elimination, I am fairly certain of where the Claw, if he still lives, is located."

"You still don't think it's the original Yellow Claw", Spitfire asked.

"No", said Druid. "It may very well be, but the odds are definitely against him still being alive."

"Yet look among us and and think how many times any of us, all of us have been presumed dead", Black Widow mentioned. "In our line of work, the odds rarely matter."

"So what are we planning to do", Quentin Collins asked.

"You", the Widow answered, "will remain here. You have no powers and will not be put in a combat position. You and Jacques will stay here at the castle."

"Why me?", Jacques asked.

"Because it is what I wish", Mantis replied. "You have a role and destiny as the Celestial Messiah. I can not allow you to risk your health and life."

"That's not fair", Jacques sighed.

"Life is rarely fair", Mantis agreed. "Your time will come, but not now. Besides, you but a teenager, by human standards. Far too young for this type of activity."

"But I'm only part human. I have powers and a responsibility to use them to help others, as you do. As all the Avengers do. Druid has been training me. You have trained me. It makes no sense for me to be left out", Jacques argued.

"This one does not have to make sense. This one is your mother", Mantis argued.

Jacques glared at his mother and his eyes began a light glow. Mantis stiffened and the others could sense a silent argument going forth between the two via the telepathic and empathic bond they shared.

"That's all well and good for Jacques, but what about me? You can't keep me out of this, Widow!", Quentin said.

"You have no powers", the Widow remarked.

"Well, neither do you", Quentin said. "And I've been in hundreds of scraps over the years. I'm immortal thanks to that damn picture. And I'm a freakin' werewolf. You Avengers wouldn't even be going after Claw if it wasn't for me!"

"Listen here, Quentin", Widow started to say, but Barnabas interupted.

"My cousin can definitely handle himself and I agree that he should be a part of our excursion to capture the Yellow Claw".

"My mind is made up", the Widow said. "There is a role for Quentin and Jacques as well, here at the castle."

"But we're not Avengers", Quentin said. "You can't tell us what to do. You can ask, but we're not required to obey."

"If you're part of my mission, you will listen. You don't have to obey, as you put it, but this is an Avengers mission now and I'm responsible for all members of the team. And if you want to be a part of the team, then act like it and do as I ask", the Widow said.

"I hate to interupt this love chat", Spitfire commented, "but I've been patrolling with Quentin for the past several weeks and he's definitely capable of handling himself, as much as anyone here."

"I have to concur", Druid interjected. "Mr. Collin's is a very capable fighter and strategist. He could very well be an asset in our venture."

"I see", the Widow said quietly. "What about the rest of you. Do you think we should take Quentin with us on this mission?"

"I think so. The boy is tough as nails and a scrapper", Issac Christians replied.

"He can handle it", Lyja added.

"I've already made my feelings known on this matter", Barnabas said.

"Sure. The more, the merrier", Iceman added.

"Yon mortal is truly a brave and noble soul", Hercules pontificated.

"OK with me", Living Lightning said.

"So it looks like everyone wants Quentin aboard", Widow said. "So he'll be part of the group when we go after the Yellow Claw."

"But what about Jacques?", Spitfire asked.

Everyone turned to look where Jacques and his mother, the egmatic Mantis, were obviously engaged in a heated telepathic argument.

Then, as if feeing the eyes of the room upon them, Mantis and Phillip ceased their conversation and turned towards their audience.

"Jacques will accompany us", Mantis said. "But he will remain out of combat unless absolutely necessary!"

"As will you, Quentin", Widow added.

"What?", Quentin gasped.

"You may come along, but will remain out of combat unless absolutely necessary. That's the deal - take it or leave it!", Widow said.

"I'll take it", Quentin scowled. "But I don't like it!".

Quentin looked at Jacques.

"Come on kid! Let's go raid the kitchen before we take our seats at the back of the Quinjet."

The team watched as Jacques and Quentin walked from the room. Gargoyle walked up to Mantis and Black Widow, laying a hand on the shoulder of each.

"Kids. Gotta love 'em!", he sighed.

Smiles formed on the face of most of the watching heroes.

"OK, let's get ready to move out", the Widow said. "We're going after the Yellow Claw. We'll have SHIELD available for back-up and create a diversion if necessary, but we're going in to start on our own. Druid has located his headquarters. And now, taking him down. So let's discuss how we're going to do it!"

The assembled heroes gathered once more and began to discuss strategy and plans. For on this day, the Yellow Claw will be brought to justice!

**

No comments:

Post a Comment