Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 8

The Black Widow sat in her office and pushed the button to start recording.

"It's been an eventful few days here at the Castle since we defeated that gathering of vampires. The so called leader, that we captured, turned out to be Quentin Collins, the cousin of our associate, Barnabas Collins. But he claims to have no memory of his actions and probes, both magical and telepathically, by Dr. Druid have confirmed this. So if Quentin was under mind control, the question still remains who was responsible for organizing those vampires in their numerous assaults all across Europe. What did they hope to achieve and why? Quentin is here at the castle as our 'guest' and Dr. Druid is working with him to discover the just how he was drawn into this entire situation."

"As for his cousin, Barnabas Collins, he has elected to stay here at the Castle as well to remain close to his cousin and provide aid. Although a few of our members, mainly Living Lightning and oddly enough, Iceman, have expressed some reservations at having a true vampire, such as Collins, staying here among us, he has proven himself as a trusted ally and has been welcomed by most of the group. We've also been able to help Mr. Collins with his need for blood to survive. Dr. Hank Pym, one of the original Avengers and one of the world's top bio-chemists in his own right, flew in yesterday and, using the notes provided by Collins and belonging to a former associate of his, Dr. Julia Hoffman, was able to quickly develop a serum that acts as artificial blood for Collins and allows him to survive and indeed thrive without being a danger to anyone else. I've asked Dr. Pym to consult with Dr. Druid and see if he can aid in helping Quentin Collins overcome the blocks Druid discovered in his mind and regain his memory."

"As for the rest of the team, they seem to be making the most of the downtime. Iceman and Gargoyle have flown to Weschester to aid Bobby Drake's former team, the X-Men. They're expected back in a few days. Mantis has been spending most of her time in meditation and seems to have taken The Living Lightning under her wing, teaching him some of her martial arts moves and fighting techniques. Spitfire, aka Lady Jacqueline Falsworth Crichton, has been busy with the duties of her role as a noble woman in European society and has been away for several days as well. Hercules has been partaking in the British nightlife and has, in the course of his bar-hopping and extra-curricular activities, has created quite a stir in the British underworld. Hercules seems to have a nose for finding trouble, but is more than capable of handling himself quite well. Lyja has spent the past several days attempting to 'buy out every boutique' in London. I believe she has a vacation with her estranged husband, Johnny Storm, scheduled for the end of the month and wants to look her very best."

A crash sounded outside in the hallway and The Widow quickly clicked off the recording device and headed towards the door, towards the sound of the noise, slipping her "Widows Stinger" into place on her wrist. As she exited her room, she saw the cause for the disturbance.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am", Curtis, the butler for the Avengers said, kneeling over a dropped tray of sandwiches. "I was bringing you a late night snack since I knew you'd missed dinner and saw... that!"

The Widow looked and there was a bright ball of light at the end of the hallway, just hovering there.

"What the...", the Widow proclaimed as she assumed a fighting stance. The ball of light just remained there, motionless and unmoving. A door at the end of the hall opened and Dr. Druid, Hank Pym and Quentin Collins stepped out.

"Stay there and don't make any sudden moves", the Widow quickly said to her comrades. "I don't know what this is."

"I'm sensing a life energy", Druid said. "It doesn't seem hostile, but more.. I don't know... confused."

"Move closer, Druid and see if you can establish some kind of contact", the Widow said. "Hank, what do you think?"

"I don't know what to think", Hank Pym replied. "It appears to be sentient. I don't feel any kind of heat or energy from the light, but it's obviously more than just a ball of light."

The Widow glanced over towards their Butler, who was still standing there remaining motionless as the Avengers moved closer to the machine. "Curtis, move out of here, slowly and contact the others who are in the Castle. Let them know what what's going on."

"Yes ma'am", said Curtis as he slowly moved down the hallway to leave the area.

"Collins", Widow snapped to Quentin Collins. "You go with Curtis...now."

"But I", Quentin started to say, but the Widow cut him off.

"Do what I say", the Widow said. "Slowly back out of the area and leave this to us."

Quentin scowled, but did as he was told. As Curtis and Quentin vanished from the area, Widow spoke again to Druid and Pym.

"Let's move closer and try to get a better idea of what we're up against", the Widow said quietly.

"Stop", a voice came from the doorway. It was Mantis. "This one shall handle this,"

With one fleeting motion too quickly to be followed, the being known as Mantis leaped forward and directly in front of the glowing ball of light. Her eyes began to glow as she mentally reached out with her empathic abilities and reached for the glowing sphere. Suddenly there was a big flash of light as the ball seemed to explode and standing there, where there was a ball of light, stood instead, a young, naked teenage boy.

"Avengers, this is Jacques", Mantis said. "This is my son!".

**

A few minutes later, after finding clothing to fit the young man, the assembled Avengers Black Widow, Hank Pym, Dr. Druid, joined by Living Lightning were in the medical lab as Dr. Pym gave the young man a quick physical.

"As near as I can tell, there are no physical trauma or injuries", Pym said.

"I doubt you would find anything", Mantis said. "After all, my son is the heir to a great destiny, as the offspring of a mating between humanity and the alien race known as the Coati."

"I think", the Widow said, "that this would be a good time, Mantis, for you to introduce us to this young man."

"Of course", Mantis said. "As this one said earlier, this is my son, Jacques. He has been living in space among the race of his father, an elder of the Coati race. And now he is here, to be with his mother."

"That was quite an appearance upstairs", Dr. Pym said. "How did he...?"

"My son is capable of transforming himself into energy and moving across space, much as I was once able to do when I lived in space", Mantis said.

"Of course", Druid said. "That makes sense."

"To you, maybe", Lightning quipped. "But all of this cosmic stuff still confuses the heck out of this guy."

"Manuel, please!", the Widow said. "But why is he here? And why hasn't he spoken?"

"Jacques can speak, but doesn't speak often. He can speak telepathically, but isn't quite comfortable enough yet to speak to any of you", Mantis said. "As for why he's here, it's pretty obvious. He's come to visit his mother."

Jacques looked at the Widow and nodded as he wrapped his arms around and embraced Mantis.

"And now, if you don't mind, my son and I shall retire to my chambers to talk and be reunited", Mantis said. "We shall continue this in the morning, if you'd like, but I think Jacques needs to get some rest."

"Very well", The Widow said. Turning to the young boy, she said, "Please know that you're very welcome here, Jacques - and I hope that we shall become good friends."

Jacques gave the Widow a small grin and again, wrapped his arms around his mother, Mantis. With a nod to her allies, Mantis led her son to the door and out of the room.

"Well, that was... interesting", Pym said.

"Is it safe to come in now", a voice came from the doorway as Quentin Collins entered the room. "Do people drop in like that all the time around here?"

"Far more often than you'd expect", the Widow replied.

"Well, I talked to Barnabas and Lyja and let them know what was going on. They'll be returning to the mansion shortly", Quentin said.

"There's really no need for them to hurry", the Widow said. "It looks as if our guest will be here for while and doesn't seem to be a threat at all, unless of course, he's a typical teenage boy. And then we might have a few problems."

"I doubt if there is anything typical about that teenage boy", Druid said.

"What teenage boy", another voice rang out as Andromeda entered the room.

The assembled heroes proceeded to tell their Atlantean ally about the ball of light and the arrival of this young man named Jacques, the son of Mantis.

"Wow!", Andromeda said. "I'm gone for a few hours and I miss everything."

"I had noticed that you weren't around, Drom", Lightning said. "Did you go out for a night on the town?"

"I wish", Andromeda said. "But I had dinner with Namorita, the cousin of Prince Namor, Ruler of Atlantis."

"Everything is OK, I hope", Widow asked.

"Not really", Andromeda said. "As a matter of fact, I need to speak to you, Widow."

"Namor doesn't require aid, does he? We can quickly assemble a team and...", the Widow said.

"No, he's great. But can we talk?", Andromeda said.

"Of course", the Widow said. "Let's go to my office. Gentlemen, if you'll excuse us!"

"Of course, dear Madam", Druid said. "Actually, myself and Mr. Collins were due for another session to see if I can penetrate those barriers in his mind, so we should go to my office as well."

"Another brain-crunching session", Quentin said. "Oh great!"

"If we want to discover what happened to you and how you came to be the leader of the vampire cults, we need to penetrate those walls and allow you to regain your memory.", Druid said sharply.

"I know. I know!", Quentin said. "I'm just jerking your chain,"

"Do you mind if I sit in on this, Doctor", Hank Pym said. "I've got a lot of experience with memory blocks and brainwashing and may be able to help."

"I was hoping you would, actually", Druid smiled.

"Christ! Two mad brain doctors instead of just one. Double your pleasure!", Quentin smirked as he walked towards the door. "After you, Docs".

Quickly all the Avengers dispersed and went to do what they had to do, leaving Living Lightning all alone in the room.

"Hmmm! Work out in the gym or go to the kitchen and see if there is any roast beef left over from dinner? Decisions, decisons? Food, here I come!"

**

As they walked into her office, The Black Widow closed her door and slid into her seat.

"So, what did you need to speak to me about, Andromeda?", Widow asked.

Andromeda kind of hesitated for a second and Widow noted the pause. "My door is always open for all of my team-mates", Widow said. "If there's a problem...."

"No", Andromeda said. "The Avengers are great and I have really enjoyed my time as a part of this group."

"Why do I sense that you're leaving us", Widow asked.

"Very perceptive, Natasha", Andromeda said. "Because I am. Namor has requested that I return to Atlantis and assume leadership of both the Royal Guard and the Atlantean army."

"That's quite a request to make", Widow commented.

"But as our King, it is his to make", Andromeda said. "And to be the General of our nation's defenses is quite an honor indeed."

"But why do I think you're not quite happy about this promotion... this appointment by Namor", Widow asked.

"Because I'm not. I sense that dark and dangerous times are ahead for Atlantis. I believe that Namor feels that way too, which is why he's surrounding himself with allies and persons he feels he can trust."

"The mark of an intelligent leader", the Widow commented. "But that's not all, is it?"

"No. I don't really feel that I ever had the opportunity to reach my peak and be a worthy Avenger", Andromeda said.

"You've been a great Avenger", Widow said, placing her hand on Andromeda's arm.

"You're kind to say that, but we both know that it's not true. I just wish there was some way to remain with the team and really prove my worth".

"You have nothing to prove", Widow said. "And so far as staying with the team, all we'll do is change your status to inactive. Once an Avenger, always an Avenger... and when you're able to return to the group, you'll always have a place."

"Thank you", Andromeda said with a small smile.

"So when does Namor want you back in Atlantis?", Widow asked.

"He wants me to report as soon as possible", Andromeda said. "I wanted to wait for Bobby and Issac to get back from the States, but I don't have much time."

"And we all know how impatient Namor can be", Widow smiled.

"Definitely", Andromeda smiled back. "So I'll probably be leaving in the morning."

"Of course", Widow said sadly. "Have you told anyone else in the group yet?"

"No", Andromeda said. "I wanted to speak to you first."

"We'll announce it over breakfast in the morning then", Widow said.

"So be it", Andromeda said, wiping at her eyes. "Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go to my chambers and pack."

"Of course", the Widow said as Andromeda walked quickly out of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment