Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 33

Union Jack arrived back at the Avengers Castle after taking care of some personal business.

"That was certainly exciting, catching up on bills, e-mails and chores. I can't let everything get so backed up again", Joey Chapman thought to himself as he took off the mask that covered his face. "I wonder where everyone is?"

Union Jack quickly made his way down to the communications center to check the status of his fellow Avengers.

"Druid was responding to a hostage call", Jack noted, "but is on the way back to the castle. And the rest of the team are headed towards the Swiss Alps to follow up on a case. I'll radio them and see if they want me to rendevous with them."

After a few moments of conversation, Joey clicked off the radio.

"Widow wants me to stay close to the castle so Druid and I can act as back-up if needed", Joey thought to himself. "I guess I'll go to the dungeon and do a work-out."

Joey grabbed his mask and walked towards the dungeon when he felt a buzz from his communicard.

Glancing at the card, Joey thought to himself, "Someone has tripped the silent alarm at Falsworth Manor. It could just be a false alarm, but since I know Jackie is with the team in the Alps, I'd better check it out."

Pulling back on his mask as he headed towards the Quinjet, Union Jack thought to himself, "If anyone has dared to break into the Manor, they'll have to answer to me!"

**

The Black Widow and the other Avengers cautiously entered the open doorway and ventured into a great hall inside the large home.

"Welcome", a voice rang out and a well dressed gentleman with dark hair and a gray suit stepped forward from the shadows.

"Be on your toes, Avengers!", the Widow cautioned.

"So, the world famous Black Widow has decided to pay me a visit", the man smiled broadly. "I am Daniel Erick Phillips. Welcome to my home!"

"So it appears that words of your illness are greatly exaggerated", the Widow replied coldly.

"Now that's no way to greet an old friend, Natasha Romanov", Phillips smiled. "But given our last meeting, I'll excuse the bitterness I hear in your voice."

"The bitterness that came from when you tried to blackmail the world", the Widow said.

"Old news and all in the past", Phillips smiled. "Now, please do me the honors of introducing me to your colleagues!"

"Very well", the Widow sighed. "These are the Avengers... my team-mates."

"And a formidable team they are", Phillips said. "Please, allow me to test my knowledge of your associates. Behind you is the Black Knight. Next to him is the man-god, Hercules. The gentleman with the wings is The Gargoyle. The young lady in red and gold is Britian's own heroine, Spitfire. And the other lady, with the reddish hair is a former member of the Fantastic Four, Ms. Marvel, I believe.

"Very impressive", Spitfire said, "but now can you guess why we're here?"

"I assume that it has something to do with the Mandroid's that I had sent to Berlin", Phillips smiled. "And maybe that missing nuclear bomb that was never recovered from my earlier attempt in world dominance."

"Very astute", the Knight said. "And now you can surrender peacefully and tell us what happened to that nuke or else."

"Or else what, Avenger", Phillips smiled. "You're going to beat on and attack a helpless, defenseless old man?"

"If that is what needs be", Hercules said angrily.

"Hercules, stand down", the Widow said. "You're going to tell us what we want to know because we asked."

"You really think it's going to be that easy, Widow?", Phillips sneered. "Because of you, I spent a lifetime in that damn prison."

"And you obviously didn't learn anything in the process", the Widow replied.

"No, I actually learned quite a bit", Phillips smiled. "You are the one's who haven't learned!"

And on that, loud sonic waves bombarded the heroes, who were rocked to their knees by the heavy force of the waves.

"What...?", the Black Knight said, holding his ears as he crumbled to the ground.

"Aaauugh!", yelled Sharon as she too fell to the ground.

"Damn it! It's an ambush and we fell for it", the Widow said. "Defensive positions, Avengers!", she ordered.

With that command, Hercules loudly clapped his hands together with a sonic boom of his own, that ripped into the walls and buffered against the sonic waves.

Spitfire, using her super-speed, moved forward, faster than the eye could follow and, grabbing Ms. Marvel and the Black Knight, quickly moved her team-mates out of the range of the mind-numbing rays.

Issac, used his wings to move up towards the ceiling and cut loose with several bio-mystical blasts that peppered the walls.

The sonic blasts ended and the Black Widow moved forwards, launching herself on her Widow's line and moving quickly behind Phillips, grabbing him on his arm from behind.

"That wasn't very nice", she said as she tightened her grip on the dastardly Phillips.

"If you didn't like that, you certainly won't like this", Phillips smiled. "Now!"

And blasts of ice shot forth from a hidden compartment as Phillips long-time assistant, the mutant known as Snowman, made her presence felt.

"Ambush", the Widow said. "Take her out!"

And with that order, Spitfire moved towards the icy blasts, using her speed to dodge the frigid rays.

Snowman wasn't having much luck blasting Spitfire, but she did manage to encase Issac and Hercules in giant blocks of ice.

"I'll free Issac", Ms. Marvel said. "Someone free Hercules!"

"That won't hold Herc long", Dane said as he glanced towards the huge ice-cube that held his Olympian comrade. "Let's take out that walking snowcone!"

The Widow maintained her hold on Phillips, while Spitfire used her super-speed to create a sonic boom that reflected back on Snowman and left her vunerable to the Black Knight, who quickly used his nueral-disrupting sword to temporarily paralyze the crazed mutant.

As the Knight took down Snowman, the giant ice-cube that held Hercules began to shake and vibrate.

"Everyone, watch out", the Widow said as pieces of ice flew in every direction as Hercules busted loose from his icy prison.

"Where is thou scoundral that dared to imprison the son of Zeus", Hercules bellowed.

"We've got them, Herc", the Knight said.

"Some help here, please", Sharon said as she continued to chip away at the ice holding Issac Christians, the Gargoyle. "My strength is barely making a dent in this mess and I'm having trouble getting Issac out!"

"I think you'd better stand back", the Widow said. "I think that Issac is fixing to break out all his own."

Sharon stepped back as the ice cube that held Issac began to glow and get warmer. It started to melt and then exploded, much as Hercules' had before, but not quite as destructive.

"I got tired of waiting and used my bio-mystical energies to free myself", Issac said sheepishly as he stepped out of the icy rubble.

"Issac, you're crazy", Sharon said as she gave her demonic friend a hug.

"I guess it's over", Issac commented. "All the bad guys captured?"

"Not yet", the Widow replied, looking towards Phillips and Snowman. "There is still the matter of a missing nuclear bomb!"

"What about it, villian", Hercules said, glaring at the two now-captive foes.

"Oh, you mean the nuclear bomb?", Phillips sneered. "You'll never find it until it's too late!"

"We will if you know what's good for you!", the Widow said.

"It's set and armed and ready to explode if I don't enter a certain code into my computer at a pre-determined time", Phillips laughed. "And hundreds of thousands, millions will die!"

"And when is that code due to be entered?", the Knight asked.

"About five minutes ago", Phillips laughed. "You lose, heroes!"

"What the... murderer!", Sharon screeched.

"You have about forty-five minutes to find the bomb and disarm it... or boom boom - there goes the dynamite!", Phillips sneered.

"Where is it? Where?", the Knight asked, grabbing Phillips by the shirt.

"Wouldn't you like to know?", Phillips smiled. "And maybe I'll tell you... and maybe I won't!"

"Impentitious dog", Hercules shouted.

"It has to be in Berlin", Issac said. "That had to be why he had those Mandroids there... to plant the bomb!"

"But where... and why?", Sharon asked.

"Time to figure that out later", the Widow said. "Spitfire, you're the fastest Avenger we have. How long would it take you to get to Berlin?"

"About 15 minutes at top speed", Spitfire said.

"Widow said. "Go... now! Contact me when you get there. I'll notify SHIELD and have them ready to help you!"

"I'm gone", Spitfire said as she speeded out the door.

"What about us?", Ms. Marvel asked.

"We have to go to... to Berlin and see if we can locate the bomb and stop it", the Black Knight said. "Everyone head towards the Quinjet!"

"What about them?", Issac asked, gesturing towards Phillips and Snowman.

"We'll have to take them with us", the Widow said. "Sharon, you stay here!"

"What? Why?", Sharon asked.

"Because you can search this place and attempt to stop the bomb from exploding on this end. Issac will stay with you!", the Widow said.

"Why us?", Sharon asked.

"I don't have time to argue with you", the Widow said. "But someone needs to be here to search this place. Your background, and your strength make you the most logical candidate. Search the place for anything that looks like a possible detenator. Find it and disable it!"

"Got you", Sharon said. "Come on, Issac. We'll do this room by room and floor by floor... and let's hurry!"

"As for the rest of you, Dane and Hercules, let's secure our prisoners and get to the Quinjet... now!", the Widow said.

"Leave Snowman", Issac suggested. "Take Phillips with you and maybe the idea of being caught in the explosion and being among the dead will cause him to change his mind and talk. Meanwhile, Snowman can stay here. She probably knows as much about the bomb as Phillips does and my guts are telling me that she might not be as anxious to see everyone die!"

"Keep an eye on her then", the Widow said after a brief hesitation. Everyone else, let's move it people!"

And with that, The Black Widow, The Black Knight, Hercules and their prisoner, Daniel Erick Phillips, borded the Quinjet and took off into the night air.

Meanwhile, Issac Christians, aka The Gargoyle and Sharon Ventura turned towards their prisoner, The Snowman.

"We can tear this place apart and look for the controls for that bomb", Issac said quietly while staring intently at the Snowman, "or you can take us directly to the controls and we can attempt to shut it down."

"Why would I help you? My loyalty is to Daniel", Snowman said.

"Because if you don't, it's possible that thousands, possibly even millions might die", Issac said. "And you seem to be a lot of things, but a mass murderer isn't one of them!"

"I'm not going to... I'm not", Snowman started to say, but stopped as a tear ran down her face, freezing. "I can't betray Daniel!"

"Then don't betray him... save him!", Sharon said. "Because the rest of the Avengers are headed right towards Berlin to find and disarm that bomb. He's with them. If it explodes, they all die! Daniel included!"

"I don't know... I just don't know!", Snowman cried.

"Listen", Issac said, raising his voice in a way that surprised even Sharon. "I don't know what the deal is with you and Phillips, but you don't get it! Thousands of people dead! Phillips dead... the man you claim to be loyal to. The Avengers dead! My family and friends. And so many innocents... woman, children... babies! Do you really want that? Can you live with that? Because I sure as hell can't! Damn it, woman! Help us or by all that's holy, I'll kill you myself!"

"Issac, I don't...", Sharon started to say, but Issac cut her off.

"I lost a lot of friends in World War I", Issac said. "And buried plenty of more in World War II. I'll be damned if I'm losing any more because this idiot is too stupid to help us save people."

"I... I will help you!", Snowman said quietly.

"Fine... Snowman! Do you have a real name? I feel weird calling you Snowman, especially since you're obviously not a man", Issac said as he reached over and snapped the restraints off of Snowman.

"It's Martha.. Marti Williams", Snowman said.

"Well, I'm Issac and this is Sharon", Issac said. "Now show us where the controls are for the bomb and help us stop it before anyone else is hurt!"

Snowman got to her feet, wiped the tears from her eyes and said, "Follow me!"

Sharon and Issac quickly followed Snowman to a hidden door in the wall and they descended down a long set of stairs.

"We have to go to Daniel's main control-room", Snowman said. "And from there, we can get the location of the bomb and hopefully deactivate it."

**

"Well, I spoke to Barnabas and he should be here by the morning", Quentin said as he hung up the telephone.

"And this one has spoken to her associates", Mantis replied. "Wanda will be here in the morning as well."

"Wanda?", Quentin asked.

"The Scarlet Witch", Mantis smiled. "And she will be bringing a friend."

"Who?", Quentin asked.

"Her mentor and teacher", Mantis said. "A true witch by the name of Agatha Harkness."

"Agatha Harkness?", Quentin repeated. "I've heard of her."

"You know her?", Mantis asked.

"Only by reputation", Quentin replied. "Her reputation in the fringe world is indeed formidable. She's one of the most powerful witches in history. But I heard that she was dead!"

"What is death to one such as her?", Mantis asked.

"That can be said for any of us", Quentin answered.

"What can be said about us?", Jacques asked as he walked into the room?

"That you can't always believe what you hear", Mantis smiled as she gave her son a hug.

"Where have you been hiding at?", Quentin asked as Phillip sat down at the table.

"Helping Willie get some guest rooms ready", Jacques said. "He said that there were people coming."

"He's right", Quentin said. "Barnabas will be arriving in the morning, as well as some friends of your Mom's."

"Have I met them yet?", Jacques asked his mother... "These friends of yours?"

"Not yet", Mantis said. "It's a former team-mate of mine, the Scarlet Witch."

"Is she a real witch?", Jacques asked.

"No, she's a mutant with the powers to alter probabilities", Mantis answered. "But she is well versed in magic and her associate, who will be accompanying her, is indeed a true witch."

"Awesome", Jacques said. "Then maybe we can get to the bottom of this mystery here."

"Have you felt anything else from Julia... or Sarah?", Quentin asked Jacques.

"Yes", Jacques said quietly. "Her presence... Dr. Hoffman's that is, is really all over the place. She's so sad... so alone."

"I've been feeling it also", Mantis said, "but my empathic abilities are not nearly as sensitive as yours."

"I really do hope that we can help her!", Jacques said.

"We're certainly going to try", Quentin replied.

"So what do we have to do to get ready for Barnabas and the others?", Jacques asked.

"All we can do now is wait for them to get here", Quentin said. "And continue to look for answers among Julia's personal effects."

"Excuse me", a voice came from the open doorway as Willie Loomie entered the room. "I hate to bug you, Quentin, but I just got back from the main house and I saw something in the woods, near the graveyard that I think you should see."

"What is it, Willie?", Quentin asked.

"I don't know, Quentin", Willie said, "but it just don't seem right. It's weird the way it just appeared when it wasn't there before. I never seen it before."

"Come on, Willie", Quentin said as he stood up and reached for his jacket. "Show it to me!"

"This one shall come too", Mantis said as she too stood up.

"You're not leaving me here alone", Jacques said. "I'm going too!"

"Well, let's go see what it is that Willie found", Quentin said. "Let's go, Willie!"

"Come on, Quentin. Miss Mantis and Jacques. You got to see this", Willie said as he led the group out the door and towards the woods.

A few minutes later, Quentin, Mantis, Jacques and Willie were outside and headed down the pathway that led towards the old house.

"There it is! Do you see it?", Willie exclaimed as he pointed towards a strange object in the woods.

"I see it. Something is glowing", Quentin said. "I can't tell what it is though."

"I'm not feeling any kind of empathatic waves from it", Jacques said.

"Nor is this one", Mantis said. "What can it possibly be?"

"Only one way to find out", Quentin said.

And with that, he quickly moved forward and made his way over to the faintly glowing object.

"It's a piece of jewelry... a necklace", Quentin said as he reached the object.

"That doesn't make any sense", Mantis said.

"I recognize it!", Willie said. "Oh crap! That was Dr. Hoffman's necklace!"

"Are you sure, Willie?", Quentin asked. "I don't remember it!"

"I do!",Willie said. "And I'm sure. She wore it a few times... mostly when she was all dressed up and stuff... all fancy!"

"It's very lovely", Mantis said.

"I mostly saw Julia in her office or casual settings. I wasn't around for most of the formal affairs back then", Quentin remembered. "So I wouldn't know it, but if Willie says that it was Julia's, he would know!"

"It is, Quentin. Dr. Hoffman wore it plenty of times when she was all dressed up. It was one of her favorites", Willie said.

"But what is it doing here?", Quentin asked. "And why was it glowing like it was. It's like someone wanted us to find it. But why? What does it mean?"

"Another mystery to be solved when Barnabas and Wanda arrive in the morning", Mantis said.

"Yeah, you're right", Quentin said. "Come on. It's getting late. Let's head back to the old house!"

**

As she approached Berlin at near her top speed, Lady Jacquiline Falsworth Crichton wondered to herself, "Even if I can find the location of the missing bomb, what am I supposed to do? I don't know anything about nuclear bombs!"

Slowing down, Spitfire quickly surveyed the area and headed towards the locations where she and her fellow Avengers had encountered the Mandroids just hours earlier.

"If they did plant the bomb, it would be somewhere in this area", Spitfire said. "So this is the most logical place to look. But what am I supposed to be looking for?"

Spitfire quickly searched the area for anything that seemed out of place and was growing frustrated when she heard a buzz from her communicard.

"Spitfire here", she answered. "What's up?"

"Spitfire, this is the Widow!", a voice came out from the card. "Myself, Dane and Hercules are on the way there. I spoke with SHIELD and one of their representatives is in the area and will be trying to contact you."

"I see a woman trying to get my attention", Spitfire said. "I'll go speak with her and see if that's my contact."

"Fine", the Widow said. "Try to locate the bomb and if you can, deactivate it. We'll be there as soon as possible and we have Phillips with us."

"I'll do my best, but hurry", Spitfire said as she clicked off her card and headed over to the strange woman who appeared to be attempting to signal her.

"Can I help you?", Spitfire said as she sped up and stopped next to the strange lady.

"Spitifre? I'm glad you noticed me. I'm Agent 13... Sharon Carter... of SHIELD", the woman said.

"The world famous Agent 13", Spitfire said. "Your reputation precedes you."

"Listen, we've got a possible location on the missing nuke", Sharon said. "SHIELD runs regular sattelite survelliance of this area and we've detected a strong radioactive presence in the area that wasn't here 24 hours ago."

"Radioactive? Then the bomb is leaking?", Spitfire asked?

"Not that we can tell", Agent 13 said. "Any nuclear material like in an atomic bomb generates a high level of radiation, regardless of the shielding. It's harmless for the most part, but detectable."

"So we know where the bomb is... let's go deactivate it", Spitfire said.

"Easier said than done", Agent 13 replied. We've been detecting the radiation in several tunnels that are hidden beneath the city of Berlin. But there are hundreds of miles of tunnels and it's like a maze down there."

"So you need me to search the tunnels at super-speed and figure out exactly where the bomb is", Spitfire said.

""Exactly", Agent 13 replied. "And as soon as you get a definite location, we can send in a team to disarm the bomb."

"So what's the catch?", Spitfire asked. "It sounds far too easy."

"Well, the catch is that the tunnels have been there since the last days of World War II and are not safe. And also, they are most likely booby-trapped", Agent 13 said.

"So I've got to explore the tunnels, find the bomb, avoid booby-traps and pray that the tunnels don't cave in on me", Spitfire said.

"Essentially... yes!", Agent 13 said.

"Well, no one said this would be easy", Spitfire sighed. "Show me how to get into the tunnels so I can get started."

"Are you sure?", Agent 13 asked.

"It's part of the job when I put on this uniform", Spitfire smiled. "Yes, I'm sure. Now let's get moving. Time is running out!"

With that, Agent 13 led Spitfire to a statue that nearby of some military figure from the past. She houched a hidden spot on the statue and a panel opened in the base of the statue.

"That's the way in", Sharon said.

"Stay here", Spitfire said. "I'll be back as soon as I find something!"

And taking a deep breath, Spitfire headed into the opening and down into the maze of tunnels.

**
Union Jack set the Quinjet to hover above Falsworth Manor in stealth mode and moved quickly, lowering himself down to the roof of the old, noble mansion.

"Maybe I can catch the thieves in the act", Union Jack said to himself as he let himself into the great estate, using a hidden key. "Hopefully, they haven't realized yet that they set off an alarm and think they have all the time in the world."

Union Jack moved quickly through the hallways, listening for any strange sounds, but a quick search of the top floors proved fruitless, as did the main level of the vast estate.

"If they're not here, the only other possible location would be the trophy room that belonged to Lord Falsworth, the original Union Jack", he thought to himself as he headed through the house.

As he approached the doorway to the trophy room, Jack stopped, spotting light peeking out from under the door. Moving quickly, he shimmied up to the door and listened to the sounds of several persons moving about within the room.

"Bullseye!", Jack smiled as he unholstered his revolver and prepared to make his move.

Taking a deep breath, Jack burst into the room, startling the three men who had broken in and were plundering the magestic room.

"OK, everyone freeze!", Union Jack shouted as he quickly moved into the room.

With a quick leap and several kicks, two of the men were quickly incapacitated by the martial arts prowess of the masked Union Jack.

As the two men fell to the ground , Jack turned towards the remaining thief.

"Looks like it's just you and me, bud", Union Jack said as he slowly moved towards the last man. "Want to make it easy and surrender?"

"Burn in hell, hero!", the man said as he pulled a gun and fired towards Union Jack.

Anticipating the move, Jack moved quickly and dodged the bullet before nailing the final man with a hard thrust to the throat which sent the man tumbling to the ground unconcious.

"Well, that was simple enough", Jack thought to himself as he bound the three men securely. "But why were they breaking into Falsworth Manor? And why this room? It's nothing but artifacts and trpohies from the two World Wars."

"Maybe the authorities can get some information from them", Jack said as he picked up the phone and dialed the local police station.

Jack looked around the room.

"Jackie sure isn't going to be happy about this mess", he smiled to himself. "These guys better be glad that she wasn't here. Hmmmmm! I wonder what Jackie has in the fridge?"

And with a quick check of his prisoners to make sure that they were secure, Union Jack headed down to the kitchen to raid his team-mate's icebox.

**

The Gargoyle and Ms. Marvel followed Snowman down to a huge room full of computers.

"This is Daniel's main base of operations", Snowman said. "If there's a switch to cut off the bomb or to give a definite location, this is where it'd be at."

"So you're not sure?", Sharon asked.

"No", Snowman said. "Daniel didn't allow anyone else in here and he kept his plans close to the vest. I didn't even know for sure about the nuclear bomb until you Avengers showed up."

"You didn't?", Issac asked. "But you were his assistant and his most loyal follower."

"I used to be", Snowman said, "but things have changed as of late. He's been more mysterious and keeping secrets. When he came home from prison, I thought he was through with the terrorist stuff... I hoped so anyhow."

"So are you his girlfriend?", Sharon asked.

"No", Snowman said. "I'm his daughter!"

"His daughter? Wow!", Sharon said. "That explains why you've stood by him for so long."

"He's all the family I have and I will not let him die... or kill anyone else!", Snowman said.

"Let's hope that we can stop that bomb from exploding", Issac said. "Keep looking!"

After several minutes of frantic searching, Sharon looked up from a computer screen that she had been scanning for information.

"I think I've found something", she said. "It's a coded file that I can't get into, but the label says Berlin on it."

"Let me see", said Snowman as she moved to the keyboard, sliding into the seat as Sharon moved out. "I know most of Daniel's codes and passwords."

After several seconds, the file was open.

"I've got it!", Snowman said. "The coordinates of the bomb and where it was to be placed. Oh my God, it's worse than we thought."

"Why? What is it?", Sharon asked.

"The original nuclear bomb has been connected to several smaller bombs... dirty bombs. If any of them explode, the entire city of Berlin will be destroyed by the chain reaction and all of Europe will suffer because of the fall-out from the radiation", Snowman explained. "I can try to deactivate it from here, but those other smaller bombs are going to be a problem."

"Give me the coordinates and I'll pass them on to the Widow. She can relay the information to Spitfire, who should be in Berlin already", Issac said.

"I'll keep trying to deactivate it from here", Snowman said as she typed furiously on the keyboard.

**

The Black Widow clicked off her communicard.

"Well, we've got the coordinates", she told her team as the Quinjet soared towards the center of Berlin. '

"What? How...?", Phillips asked.

"Your daughter isn't quite as genocidal or homicidal as you are, it seems", the Black Knight said.

"So what is the plan of action, fair Natasha", Hercules asked.

"I've tried contacting Spitfire, but she's gone underground looking for the bomb so the signal is having problems getting through", the Widow answered. "Agent 13 of SHIELD is on site and will attempt to relay the information to Jacquiline."

"Agent 13? Sharon Carter? Nice!", the Black Knight said.

"We'll proceed and rendevous with Sharon and then take it from there", the Widow finished.

"You heroes don't stand a chance!", Phillips sneered.

"You'd better hope that we succeed", the Knight replied. "Because if we fail, you die too!"

"I'm not scared of death", Phillips said.

"But are you that scared of living?", the Widow commented. "Afraid to face the world? What about your daughter?"

"What about her?", Phillips said. "She has betrayed me to you. She is dead to me!"

"Thou art a sad excuse for a mortal if that is true", Hercules said. "What thy daughter has done is attempt to save thy soul from eternal damnation. She does not wish to see thee die or be branded the most evil of souls!"

Daniel Erick Phillips said nothing, but put his head down.

"We're there and preparing to land", the Black Knight said. "Everyone get ready to get to work!"

"We're as ready as we can be, Dane", the Widow said quietly. "Lord help us all!"

**

Spitfire was moving quickly and searching the various tunnels that were hidden beneath Berlin. She had dodged several booby-traps already and was getting frustrated. Plus fatigue had started to set in.

"I hope I can find this soon", Spitfire thought to herself. "I can't keep up this kind of speed forever and I'm starting to slow down!"

A buzz came from her communicard. She glanced down and saw it was Agent 13 calling.

"Yes, what is it?", Spitfire asked.

"The Widow and the other Avengers are here and we've got the coordinates to the bomb. We'll meet you there asap!", Agent 13 said.

"Great", Spitfire said as Agent 13 gave her the coordinates.. "I know where this is and can be there is two minutes!"

And taking a deep breath, Spitfire headed off towards the coordinates provided her by Agent 13.

In a matter of minutes, after dodging several other booby-traps. Spitfire found herself outside what appeared to be a door.

"I've found a door of some sorts and I can't think of any reason for it to be here", Spitfire thought to herself. "I believe I've located the bomb."

Reaching for her communicard, Spitfire called her associates.

"This is Spitifre calling. Agent 13, I believe I've located the bomb", she said.

"I understand", Agent 13 replied. "Are you sure?"

"Yes", Spitfire said. "I've discovered a chamber and the door is booby-trapped and requires a code to enter. I'm positive that this is where the bomb is located."

"Can you find another way inside?", Agent 13 asked.

"Not sure", Spitfire said.

"Spitfire, this is Dane", the Black Knight interrupted via his communicard. "We're here now and are coming to your location. Secure the area and we'll trace your card. We have Daniel Phillips with us and he can open the door and deactivate the bomb."

"Then hurry", Spitfire said. "I'll try and find another way into the chamber."

"Spitfire, this is the Widow. Be careful, OK? We'll get there as quickly as we can."

"This is Agent 13", Agent 13 interupted. "I've just checked the time and it seems we only have about ten minutes left."

"What if I use my speed to enter numbers randomly into the security system and find the code that way", Spitfire asked.

"It won't work. It would automatically detonate after three failed tries", Daniel Erick Phillips spoke up.

"So give us the code", the Widow said. "Help us stop this bomb from detonating."

"No", Phillips said once more. "I will not!"

"I'm not going to argue with you", the Widow said. "But you're going to be there. If it explodes, you die with us. Just think about that!"

**

Snowman, The Gargoyle and Ms. Marvel continued their search through the files and computers for more information on the bombs and how to deactivate them.

"I found a number of codes here that I can not identify", Snowman said. "But they look like number combinations."

"Maybe they're the numbers needed for Spitfire to get to that bomb", Issac said as he glanced at the numbers.

"But we can't be sure and she would only have three tries", Sharon said.

"Keep looking", Issac said. "There has to be something here."

"If there is, you will never find it", a voice called out as a large flash of light filled the room.

Three mandroids appeared seemingly from out of nowhere as they teleported into the room.

"Trouble", Issac said as he moved quickly and blasted one of the metal-clad men with a bio-mystical blast.

"Where did these creeps come from", Sharon said as she lifted a table and positioned it as a shield for herself and Snowman against blast rays from the golden metallic monsters.

"We must have set off a security alarm", Snowman said. "Daniel never let anyone in this area and when we got here..."

"We get the message", Issac said. "But we don't have time to deal with these guys. Let's take them down!"

"Allow me", Snowman said as she stepped up from behind the makeshift shield that Sharon had erected.

"Get down", Sharon said.

"No", Snowman said. "I'm putting an end to this!"

And with those words, Snowman concentrated and blasts of frigid sub-zero ice came forth from her hands and almost instantly froze the three Mandriods into giant blocks of ice where they stood.

"That won't hold them long", Issac said. "But good work!"

"How did they teleport in here?", Sharon asked.

"Short range portable teleporters", Snowman said. "See them... the small boxes on their armor."

"What's the range of these teleporters?", Sharon asked.

"Maxium range is about three hundred miles", Snowman said. "Why?"

"Because if they can't disable that bomb, maybe we can teleport it into space", Sharon suggested.

"That sounds like an idea, but how can we get these to the others in time?", Issac asked.

"We could use the teleporters to travel to where the others are in Berlin", Snowman said.

"But that's too far and would require multi-teleports that could burn the units out", Sharon said.

"I think I know how", Issac said. "I just hope she's home. Where is the telephone?"

**

Spitfire sped around the chamber she had discovered looking for a way to get inside without tripping off any traps or alarms. She heard the approach of the others and sped up to meet them.

"Is this it?", the Widow asked as they approached the chamber.

"Yes", Spitfire said. "But I haven't been able to find a way inside."

"Allow me", the Black Knight said as he moved to the door of the chamber. "Last chance, Phillips. Care to open the door for us?"

"Go to hell, hero!", Phillips sneered at the armored man.

"So we do it the hard way", the Knight said as he examined the door.

"You'll never get past that door! It's a titanium alloy mixed with vibranium. It's nearly indestructable!", Phillips bragged.

"Well, my ebony sword is indestructible and able to cut through anything", the Knight said as he used his enchanted sword to quickly slice through the metal in a circular motion.

"And now, the son of Zeus shall remove yon impeding metal from our path", Hercules said as he stepped forward and pulled the enormous piece of metal away from the chamber, opening a doorway for the heroes to enter.

The Avengers, Agent 13 and Daniel Erick Masters stepped into the vast chamber and there it was... a large nuclear bomb, surrounded by several smaller "dirty bombs", all wired and ready to explode at any moment.

"We have to deactivate the bomb and quickly", the Widow said.

"I've found the controls for the bomb", Agent 13 said. "But it's not like anything I've ever seen!"

"Well, we've got to deactivate these bombs or else we're dead along with the entire city above us", the Knight said.

"We've got about two minutes by my watch", Spitfire said. "So if we're going to do something, we'd better do it fast!"

And suddenly, there was a bright flash of light and appearing just outside the chamber were Ms. Marvel, Snowman and The Gargoyle, teleported by their friend and associate from Excaliber, Amanda Sefton, aka Spellbinder.

"What? Issac? Sharon? How did you?", the Widow asked as her team-mates appeared.

"No time to explain", Sharon Ventura said. "Have you managed to deactivate the bombs yet?"

"No, not yet!", the Widow said.

"Then clear the chamber... quick", Sharon said. "Spitfire, we need you now!"

"What do you need me to do, Sharon", Spitfire asked as she sped up next to her fellow Avenger.

"These are teleportation devices", Sharon said as she produced several small boxes and handed them to Spitfire. "They have a range of about three hundred miles. If we can't deactivate the bomb, maybe we can teleport it into space!"

"Where did you find these", the Widow asked.

"My father invented them", Snowman said.

"Traitorious bitch", Phillips sneered once more.

"I can't let you kill innocent people", Snowman said to her father. "I love you, father, but I'm not a murderer and I will not allow you to be either!"

"Let's save the family drama for later", the Widow said. "Spitfire, place those teleportation devices all around the chamber on the outside... quickly!"

With a blur or red and gold, Spitfire moved quickly and placed the teleportation devices in place on the chamber holding all the bombs.

"There still might be a problem", the Knight said. "We need to find a way to hold the entire chamber together when it teleports or else one or two of the bombs might be accidentially left behind."

"I can use my ice-powers to enclose the entire chamber in a ball of ice", Snowman said.

"But we need to make sure the entire chamber is enclosed when it teleports", the Widow said.

"If you need to have the chamber raised, then it is Hercules who shall now act", Hercules said as he stepped forward.

And Hercules stepped over to the chamber and with a huge effort, sank his fingers into the very metal that held the frame of chamber together and gave a mighty lift that raised the entire chamber several feet into the air.

"Careful, Hercules... we can't shake or jar anything inside", the Widow said.

"Now, Snowman... now", the Knight said as he directed their new ally to use her mutant abilities and enclose the entire chamber in a huge ball of ice.

As Snowman's powers enclosed the giant metal chamber, Hercules with a great heave at the last second, used his great strength to propel the ice-covered chamber into the air.

"Hit the teleportation buttons... NOW!", the Knight screamed as the Widow pushed the control device that activated the teleportation fields.

And with a loud pop, the ice-covered metal chamber containing the nuclear bomb, as well as several smaller dirty bombs, was gone.

And deep in space, roughly 350 miles above the earth's surface, there was an explosion of epic proportions.

Back on earth, in Berlin, the Avengers, Agent 13, Snowman, Spellbinder and their prisoner, Daniel Erick Phillips, stood and contemplated the situation.

"We did it", Spitfire said.

"Thank goodness for that", Issac added.

"Great work everyone", the Widow told her troops.

"And once again, we're in your debt, Amanda", Issac said to Spellbinder.

"Not a problem", Amanda said as she gave Issac a hug. "I'm just glad I was at Moria's when you called."'

"Yes, thank you", the Widow said as she approached Amanda. "You wouldn't be interested in joining our team , would you?"

"No, thanks", Amanda smiled. "This super-hero gig is just a part-time thing for me. I'm happy with Kurt, Kitty and the rest of Excaliber."

"Well, if you change your mind", the Widow smiled.

"I won't... but thanks", Amanda smiled. "And now, I need to get back to Muir Island. I didn't have a chance to tell anyone where I was going when Issac called and they'll be worried."

"Thanks again, Amanda", Issac said.

"See you guys", Spellbinder said as she vanished in a burst of bright light.

"As for you Phillips", Agent 13 said. "You're going back to prison for the rest of your life!"

"What about me?", Snowman asked as she approached Agent 13 qnd her father.

"What about you?", Sharon said. "You helped save the day. I'll need to take a statement from you, but so far as I'm concerned, you're one of the good guys and I'll put that in my report!"

"But he's my father...", Snowman said. "And I..."

"Just say thank you and step away", Sharon Ventura said as she stepped up next to Snowman.

"Thank you", Snowman said to Agent 13 and then stepped away to speak with Ms. Marvel.

"So what happens now", Snowman asked Sharon as they walked away.

"I can't say for sure, but the Widow would probably know. Let's go ask her", Sharon said.

The two ladies walked over to the Avenger's leader.

"Hey Natasha", Sharon asked. "Snowman here wants to know what happens now so far as she's concerned."

"I spoke with Agent 13 and based on what her report says, I expect that Snowman will be offered immunity in exchange for her testimony against her father", the Widow said.

"I wont lie or cover for him any longer", Snowman said.

"And after that, it's up to you", the Widow continued.

"What do you mean?", Snowman asked.

"You're a powerful young woman", the Widow said. "And as is often said, with great power comes great responsibility. So the question should be what are you going to do with that power?"

"I don't know... I don't know", Snowman said.

"I have a suggestion", Sharon interjected. "If it's OK with you Natasha, why not have Snowman come stay at the Castle for a while?"

"I think that's an excellent idea", the Widow replied. "It would give you a chance to train in use of your abilities and also maybe help you decide what you'd like to do in the future."

"I think saying yes would be the best thing", Issac said as he walked up behind them. "I've seen you use your powers and I think you'd make a dandy super-heroine."

"If that's the path you choose for yourself", the Widow added.

"If you'll have me, I would be honored", Snowman said.

"But we have to do something about that name", Issac snickered. "After all, you're definitely not a man."

"It is kind of confusing", Snowman admitted.

"We'll work on that", the Widow smiled. "Now let's wrap things up here so we can go home!"

"Home", Snowman smiled. "That sounds nice!"

No comments:

Post a Comment