Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 16

Natasha Romanova, aka "The Black Widow", sat at her desk looking at the computer comsole.

"I suppose that I should update my personal log", she thought as she typed in her access code. "But things have moved so fast lately. Where shall I begin?"

A blank page formed on the screen and Natasha began to type...

"So many changes as of late with the Avengers team here in Europe, but it looks like things are finally starting to settle down. The entire team attended a general meeting of all Avengers in New York last week and once again, our official name changed. So far, we've gone from Avengers Europe to Avengers International to now, just Avengers. Captain America made what I feel is a wise decision in that even though we might be based in different parts of the world with our teams, once an Avenger, always an Avengers and the distinctions between the teams, Avengers West, Avengers International and Avengers East, is irrelevant. The Captain is our leader and Chairperson. Hawkeye remains as the leader of the West Coast team, answerable only to Cap and I shall remain as the defacto leader of our European based team. But regardless of where we choose as our base of operations, we're all Avengers and can be summoned to any team as needed, based on the situation and state of emergency.

Our own team, based here just outside of London, has remained in a constant state of fluxation ever since we were formed, it seems. Our original team consisted of Dr. Druid, Hercules, Spitfire, Lyja, Iceman, Mantis, The Living Lightning, Andromeda and myself. We were joined by the son of Mantis, Jacques, a vampire and werewolf set of cousins named Barnabas and Quentin Collins, Dr. Pym and a man trapped in the body of a Gargoyle named Issac Christians. And at the moment, the Scarlet Witch and Wonder Man have been pinch-hitting for our team as well to ensure we are up to strength for any possible emergency.

But change occurs and faces began to come and go. Mantis and her son have returned to deep space and their roles as the Celestial Madonna and Celestial Messiah. Andromeda has returned to Atlantis to serve as the Head of the Atlantean Armies, per the order of her ruler, King Namor. Quentin has gone back to the states and his family home of Collinwood. Dr. Pym returned to the states as well and his role as a part of the West Coast team. Druid and Hercules have taken a temporary leave of absence to investigate some occult matters in the fabled Isle of Crete. Iceman is planning to return to the X-Men shortly as they are in need of his services in their efforts to rebuild and restabilize their teams.

So what does that leave me as a team from which to draw from and have ready in the case of any situations here in our part of the world. I have Living Lightning and Lyja as my core members. Spitfire is also available, but her responsibilities as a member of the British House of Lords and the English upper-class have really made the time she can spend as an Avenger limited. Issac Christians, aka The Gargoyle, has elected to stay as part of the team and brings a lot of raw power to the team, plus much wisdom. Although Issac is relatively inexperienced in the role of a super-hero, he has a long and eventful life behind him and has much to offer the team. We can call upon the vampire, Barnabas Collins, in the event of an emergency, but he doesn't feel comfortable in the role of a public hero and much prefers to work behind the scenes. Given the nature of his abilities and knowledge, that's the role he's best suited for as well.

It's my role, as the chairperson of this team, to stabilize the enviroment and do what I must to get things in order for the long term. Though we have a great many heroes and persons to choose from to round out the team, it's my job to find the persons who can commit to the team on a full-time basis, not leaving on personal quests or heading back to the States at every avaiable opportunity.

Lyja, for example, is a perfect example. She's powerful, smart, intiuative, and everything a person could want as an ally and as an Avenger. But her relationship to her husband, Johnny Storm, aka The Human Torch, creates a liability when trying to stabilize my team. We're her team, but the Fantastic Four is her family. Her priorities, if push comes to shove, will be the FF first and the Avengers second. And I can deal with that. Having Lyja as part of my team, and having the resources of the Fantastic Four available to us, makes any minor conflict of interest worth dealing with. The same goes for Iceman and the X-Men team. I have no doubt in their abilities or their loyalities or even their pride as members of the Avengers, but I need members who can be Avengers first. Those two, for example, can't. Much like Andromeda was recalled by her leader, Namor, to return to Atlantis, I can't always be sure that Iceman or Lyja will not be called away due to their other responsibilities. I appreciate what they bring to the team, but I have my doubts about what kind of role they will play in the long term.

I think, it would be in my best interests, as the leader of this team, to sit down and personally interview each and every person affiliated with this particular brand of the team and together, we can decide if it's best for them to be here, in Europe, as part of this team, or whether it would be in the best interests of all to make other arrangements. It's not something I desire to do, but I want my team to be able to handle any matter or situation we are forced to deal with with precision and practicality. And making sure we have the best available here to do just that is something I feel I need to do. It's part of my job as Chairperson. And it's all part of being an Avenger".

**

Update from the Black Widow's personal log...

"Several weeks have passed since my last update. I was concerned about the membership and how outside factors, particularly the loyalty to others in other teams, have kept our team from staying coherent and stable. Our membership here at the European branch of the Avengers team seems to have a revolving door for our short history. So what I decided to do was to speak with each member of our current roster and discuss just exactly what are the pros and cons of their membership with the European branch of our team. The realities of our team being on this continent while the majority of our members have friends, family and other affiliations on the other continent - it's an issue that affects team moral and keeps us from gelling and growing comfortable as a unit. And it seems my concerns were well warranted.

Lyja is a member of the Fantastic Four as well as an Avenger. As the wife of Johnny Storm, the Human Torch, she is a member of their family and thus, feels obligated to come when they call. Though Lyja and Johnny's relationship is tedious at times, there is no doubting their love and loyalty to each other. The FF needed the participation of Lyja on a recent trip to what remains of the Kree Galaxy on a recent mission. She was occupied with an Avengers mission at the time, the pursuit of the team known as the U-Foes, who were causing problems in Naples, Italy. Though we were able to pursue and capture the U-Foes in time enough for her to leave and aid the FF as well, there was a conflict and it was an issue. Although it was quickly resolved this time, how about the next?

I spoke of this with Lyja and she agreed with me that perhaps, for the time being, being a part of our team stationined in Europe, while her husband and family reside in New York, is a matter that needs to be dealt with and could cause more problems in the future. She has decided to go on to Reserve Status for the time being and move back to New York where she can aid her family as needed, and also be on call for our New York based team too, and serve as an Avenger. It's far more ideal for her and both teams and thus, it's the right thing to do. It leaves yet another hole in the roster for our team here in Europe, but I'll handle that.

And yet another member leaves. Miquel Santos, aka The Living Lightning. Miquel's situation is different and far more tragic. Miquel's mother and brother live in the barrio of Los Angeles. One other brother is in prison for gang related activities. His sister is dead as a result of a gang-affiliated drive by shooting. To be blunt, his family needs him at home. The area they live is high crime and high poverty, and although Miquel provides well for his family, aided by the Maria Stark foundation, they need more than his financial aid. His mother is in poor health and she needs Miquel to help take care of their family and be there, in body as well as spirit. I hate to see Miquel leave, but the family must come first. He's a good man and a good Avenger and there will always be a place for him on our team. He's doing what he needs to do and I'm proud of him for stepping up in such a way. I think he's enjoyed his time here in Europe, learning of the world and other cultures and countries, but sometimes, you just have to go back home.

This leaves two more vacancies in the ranks of our team though. Right now, the current roster is myself, The Gargoyle and Spitfire. Hercules has sent word that he'll be back in a few days as well, so that's good news. But I'd feel much more comfortable with at least three more members active in our ranks. I'll be speaking with Captain America about this later tonight after our weekly meeting. I'm sure that we'll be able to fill the ranks and maybe even keep them stable and consistent for a while as well. One can only hope."

**

Supplement entry from the Black Widow into personal log...

"Things have gone far better than even I could have hoped. I spoke with Captain America as well as the members of my team about being on the look-out for possible applicants for our team. My main requirements were that the applicant be able to pass all security checks, be willing to live and stay in Europe with few conflicts about location, and be of good character and ability. Spitfire stepped up and quickly brought up the name of a young man named Joey Chapman, aka Union Jack. He's the Uk's version of Captain America and is the third man to wear that suit and heroic name. I've worked with UJ on several occasions and I've been quite impressed by his abilities. He's an ideal choice and I'm surprised that he hasn't been mentioned before now. It's an oversight that I hope to correct soon. Union Jack would make an ideal member for the UK-based team of Avengers. Myself and Spitfire will go meet with UJ within the next day or so and hopefully he'll be able to join our team.

Also, coming from New York to join our ranks is the Avenger known as The Vision. Captain America confessed to me that since his resurrection from being dismantled at the hands of the Government a few years ago, Vision seems different, almost as if he's going through the motions, if that's even possible for an artificial man. With the revelation that his emotions and feelings for Wanda, the Scarlet Witch are still present, Cap seems to feel that perhaps Vision would do well with a chance of enviroment. And here, in our centuries old castle outside of London, it would definitely be a change for him. Vision seems amicable to being part of our team and I'm glad to have him. Despite some bumps along the way, the Vision is a valuable ally and very important part of the Avengers. And for any team, especially ours, to have him in our ranks, can only bode well for us. Plus the raw power that Vision brings, not to mention the technical expertiese and experience can only help as well.

So that's two more names for the line-up, pending the security clearance of Union Jack, should he accept our offer. This gives us a team of myself, Hercules, Spitfire, Gargoyle, Vision and Union Jack. Not a bad team at all, but I still think we need at least one more prominent member or maybe two, just to round things out and make our team as strong as it needs to be. I think I'll take another look at the list of available reservists and inactive members, as well as the files of SHIELD and W.H.O. to see if I can find someone I feel can take our team to where it needs to be."

**

Issac Christians straightened out his tie.

"I always did hate these damn suits", he smiled as he checked out his reflection in the mirror.

"Ooops! Almost forgot", Issac said as he activated the Image Inducer he was wearing on his belt. And he smiled as the image in the mirror changed from an orange skinned, demon-faced Gargoyle into that of a finer-looking older gentleman in his mid-eighties.

"Good to have my real face back... even if it is just a holographic image", Issac said to himself as he double-checked once more to make sure his tie was straight.

Steping out from his quarters into the hallway, Issac encountered his team-mate, The Black Widow.

"Looking sharp, Issac", the Widow said. "Are you heading out for the evening?"

"Yep", Issac replied. "I'm meeting Barnabas Collins at a Gentleman's Bar in London. He says it has the best blues music in London."

"I wasn't aware you liked the blues", the Widow smiled.

"Love 'em", Issac said. "They bring back some great memories of New Orleans in the thirties. Plus Barnabas wanted to speak to me about how I became a gargoyle. Both of us being cursed and all that stuff."

"Sounds like an intriguing evening you have planned", Widow smiled. "Well, have a good night Issac. Give Barnabas my best as well."

"I will", Issac said as he walked towards the exit. Once reaching outside, he turned off the image inducer and with a mighty flap of his leathery wings, took off into the night sky to make the short flight to London.

Several hours later, Issac Christians and Barnabas Collins were sitting at a small table in a darkened corner of a small club. The band onstage was playing and Barnabas and Issac were both just sitting, entranced by the music.

"So Dr. Pym's serum is still working well", Issac asked Barnabas.

"Better than I had hoped", Barnabas said. "It quells my thirst for blood and also allows me to move about in the daylight. Direct sunlight is uncomfortable, but this being London, that's rarely a problem."

"Yeah", Issac agreed. "Between the rain and the fog, I don't think you've got too much to worry about."

"I almost feel like a real human again", Barnabas admitted.

"But you still have your vampiric abilities and senses", Issac asked.

"Yes", Barnabas said. "My powers are as strong as ever. Dr. Pym is a genius! Have you ever tried to get him to help you with your curse?"

"My curse is a result of my own stupidity", Issac said. "And trying to outsmart a demon. I've had Dr. Strange, Earth's own Sorcerer Supreme, try to help me out, but so far, I'm stuck in this body. And now my own human body has been destroyed..."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know", Barnabas said.

"Don't worry about it", Issac said. "I had a chance to go back to my human body, but it would have meant that the demon who originally had this body would have destroyed the world. I was forced to switch bodies and take this one back and trapping him in my old, weak human body. And then I had to slay me.. I mean him. There wasn't any other option."

"Incredible", Barnabas said.

"So I'm stuck in this body", Issac said. "But all things considered, I've got powers and I'm essentially immortal, it's not a bad trade-off. I've learned to live with it and accept it."

"And from what I've observed", Barnabas said, "though you reside in the body of a gargoyle, you are one of the most human persons I have ever met!"

"I just like to keep it real", Issac admitted. "It's been a rough ride over the years at times, but I think things have turned out well in the long run!"

Before Barnabas could comment, the sounds of high pitched screams and a loud crashing noise filled the air. Acting almost as one, Barnabas and Issac were both quickly up and headed towards the sounds.

As they exited the club, they looked across the way where a wall leading into a jewelry store had been destroyed. As they observed, out came a metal tentacle, followed by another. And six more carrying the man known as...

"Dr. Octopus", Gargoyle said. "But what's he doing here in England?"

"Robbing a jewelry store", Barnabas noted. "And scaring a lot of people."

"I guess we'd better stop him then", Issac said, switching off his image inducer.

"Agreed", Barnabas said as he moved forward, assuming the shape of a large bat.

"Run you fools", Octopus screamed as he moved out into the street. "Run like the cowards you are!"

"Hold it, Octopus", Issac said as he stepped into the street.

"What kind of fool is this", Octopus sneered as he saw Issac. "Some kind of creature?"

"Yeppers", Issac said as he sent several bio-mystical bolts towards Octopus, only to have them deflected by Octopus's arms. "Just call me the Gargoyle. I'm an Avenger!"

"An Avenger?", Octopus bellowed. "You're a fool! Now you die!"

As Issac and Octopus battled back and forth with Octopus using his arms to keep Issac at a distance, unobserved to all, a mist creeped across the street and acting with a purpose, moved up behind Dr. Octopus before assuming the shape of a man... a man named Barnabas Collins.

Barnabas assumed his human form and latched upon the back of the neck of Dr. Octopus, attempting to incapacitate him from behind. Octopus's arms, acting as if on their own, grabbed Barnabas and tossed his form into the wall of a building across the street. Issac managed to deflect one of the arms with his wing and blasted at Octopus with another bio-mystical bolt. As he severed one arm with the blast, two others came up behind him and pummelled the Gargoyle from behind.

"Blast it!", Issac said. The arms of Doctor Octopus weren't hurting him, but they were keeping him busy and unable to move in to put Octopus away.

Octopus managed to batter Gargoyle away and send him reeling. As Octopus tried to escape, from seemingly out of nowhere, a large, hard pylon of hard sand came down and bashed into Octopus, smashing the arch-villian hard into a wall. Octopus was stunned, but still fighting as his arms swung wildly at the sandy creature that now began to take shape.

"Marko, you fool! What are.....?", Octopus began to say.

"Aww shaddup", the Sandman said as he formed a huge fist with his sand and crashed down hard upon top of Dr. Octopus. Octopus fell unconcious to the ground.

"Wow", Issac said as he pulled himself up to face the new arrival.

"Hope you didn't mind the help", Sandman said. "Ock has always been a major pain in the butt!"

"No problem. I appreciate it", Issac said. "So you're the Sandman?"

"Yeah", Sandman said. "And you're the Gargoyle... one of the new Avengers?"

"And you're a reserve Avenger, right?", Issac asked.

"I was", Sandman said. "But I'm working for Silver Sable right how as part of her Wild Pack."

"I've heard of Sable", Issac said. "But... wait! Where's Barnabas?"

"I'm here", a voice came from behind him as Barnabas stepped up to the duo.

"Are you OK", Issac asked. "Ock hit you awfully hard."

"I'm fine", Barnabas said. "I'm somewhat harder to get rid of than that."

"So Sandman", Issac asked. "What are you doing here?"

"I was shadowing Dr. Octopus", Sandman admitted. "We got word of him slipping into this country a few days ago and Sable wanted to know what he was up to. So I was sent to follow him."

"Any idea why he was here?", Barnabas asked.

"Not sure", Sandman admittted. "Knowing Ock, I'm sure it was for more than just hitting a jewelry store, but I guess he couldn't resist the temptation."

"Excuse me", Issac said. "I have to speak with the local constables about securing Octopus before he wakes up. Be right back."

As Issac walked off to speak to the local authorities, Sandman started to leave.

"Take care, Dracula", he said with a smile to Barnabas. "Nice meeting you and Gargoyle, but I've gotta run."

"Wait", Barnabas said. "I know that the Avengers team are looking for new members in their European team. You are already a reserve Avenger and your power would make a great addition to the current roster."

"Tried that", Sandman said. "But too many rules and regulations for me. Not my thing!"

"Too bad", Barnabas said.

"I saw what you did", Sandman said. "If you're what I think you are... and on the side of the angels apparently, why don't you join them?"

"Precisely because of what I am", Barnabas admitted. "I help on occasion, but I work better behind the scenes."

"So you understand where I'm coming from?", Sandman asked.

"All too well", Barnabas agreed.

"Well, I've got to run", Sandman said. "Tell the Gargoyle to take care and I'll be in touch with the team. Sable keeps me busy, but if they need an extra sandy-hand on occasion, give me a call."

"I'll tell him", Barnabas said as the Sandman assumed the form of a sandy mist and drifted off with the breeze.

Gargoyle walked back up.

"Well, the locals have gotten in touch with W.H.O. and they're taking custody of Octopus. What happened to Sandman?", Issac asked.

"He had to leave", Barnabas said. "But he said he'll be in touch."

"Too bad he left so fast", Issac said. "He'd be perfect to be back on the team. I know Widow is concerned about our power and someone like Sandman would make a great member."

"I agree", Barnabas said. "I asked him and he declined. Said he prefered to work more as a free agent behind the scenes."

"Too bad", Issac said. "But I understand how he feels. He said he'll be in touch with the team?"

"He did", Barnabas said.

"Well, we'll let the Widow put the sales pitch to him. Let's see him say no to that!", Issac smiled.

"That would not be easy", Barnabas agreed. "I was barely able to resist myself when she offered me membership with your team."

"So want to go back to the club?", Issac asked.

"Sure", Barnabas said. "I want to hear more about this six-fingered hand and how you originally became a gargoyle."

"Well, you're buying, so get ready to listen. It's a long story!", Issac said.

"I've got time", Barnabas said. "The night is still young."

"Let's go!", Issac said as the two men walked back towards the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment