Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 28

Sharon Ventura, fresh out of the long hot shower she had desired, sat down with Issac Christians, aka The Gargoyle, in the library.

"So what did you think of that Bloodscream character", she asked. "Pretty creepy, huh?"

"Creepy... and dangerous", Issac agreed. "He pretty much handed our butts to us today."

"Yeah, he did", Sharon agreed. "But we'll just have to be better the next time."

"I just can't help thinking though", Issac said. "Something about him is familiar, but I can't lay my finger on it."

"Maybe something from your days with the Defenders?", Sharon suggested.

"Possibly, but I'm thinking it's from before then... when I was traveling around the world learning about the occult.", Issac sighed.

"Well, Druid said there was a magical aura about him. Right now, he's with Hank Pym and Barnabas Collins exploring that angle. Maybe we should go listen in and see if it jars any memories", Sharon smiled.

"That might not be a bad idea", Issac agreed, "but I don't think that's it. I think I need to go to my house in Christiansboro and my library. That's more likely where I'll find what's nagging at me."

"But that would take several hours to travel that far, even by Quinjet... and the Widow wants us here on stand-by in case there's any sign of either Ultron or Bloodscream", Sharon answered.

"That is a problem", Issac agreed. "Let me go talk to the Widow and see if she has any suggestions."

"Don't we have any teleporters in the Avenger's ranks?", Sharon asked. "Someone you could call and have them port you home and back?"

"Not in the Avengers", Issac answered. "But you did just give me an idea. Do we have the number for the Muir Island Research Center available?"

"Hank has it", Sharon said. "He was in conference with Dr. Moria MacTaggert earlier today. Why?"

"Because Excalibur is stationed there and one of their members is a sorceress with the powers of teleportation. I believe they call her Daytripper."

"What kind of name is that for a superheroine?", Sharon asked.

"Her real name is Amanda Sefton. I met her once when I attended an X-Man reunion with Iceman, The Beast and the Angel once in Weschester. She dates the X-Man, Nightcrawler", Issac remembered.

"Do you think she might be able to teleport you home to get what you need?", Sharon asked.

"Can't hurt to ask", Issac said. "And since she's also a sorceress, she may have heard of this Bloodscream too and be able to provide some info on him."

"Sounds like a plan", Sharon said.

"Let's clear it with the Widow and then go make that call", Issac said.

**

The Black Knight, Dane Whitman, was in the labs keeping an eye on the Ultron tracking machine and fiddling with some machinery.

"Dane, mind if I interupt", a voice rang out from the doorway.

The Knight looked up to see Union Jack standing there.

"Sure. Come on in", Dane replied. "What can I do for you?"

"I just just wondering... well... that character today... Blooodscream. He was totally nuts!", Union Jack said.

"Yeah, that was quite a fight. But we'll get him next time", the Knight said.

"That's just it. He could have killed us... well, most of us... easily", Union Jack said. "I mean, I've fought spies, murderers, vampires and it's never really bothered me. But this guy... he's just... I could feel the evil just pouring off him. And I have to admit... it was hard to keep it together. You've been an Avenger forever it seems. How do you handle it?"

"Facing the high powered entities?", the Knight asked. "I just keep it in my head that I'm doing my best and everyone has a weakness. The key is to exploit their weaknesses."

"I don't get it", Union Jack admitted.

"Look at the Widow. She's been doing this stuff far longer than either of us and she has no powers. Same for the Panther. Same for Captain America", the Knight said. "We may not have the powers that Thor or Hercules or even someone like Sharon does, but we all contribute and do our part."

"You make it sound so easy", Union Jack said.

"I just try to look at every foe as just another guy", the Knight said. "With a strong heart and strong mind... and some sneaky moves, no one is unbeatable."

"I know that in my head", Union Jack said. "But what good is a few martial arts tricks, an old revolver and a knife against someone like Ultron."

"Your knife is what turned the tide against Bloodscream earlier", the Knight said.

"Yeah, but we still got our butts handed to us", Union Jack replied.

"But in the end, we had the advantage and he fled", the Knight said. "So I'd count that in the win column."

"I'm just not sure of what my role is against foes like that", Union Jack said.

"You're part of a team... part of one of the elite team", the Knight said. "If we didn't think you could handle it, you wouldn't be here. Just relax and take it one day at a time."

"And my nerves will calm down and I'll feel more at ease? Is that what you're trying to say?", Union Jack asked.

"Nope", the Knight said. "My nerves still do flip-flops at times and a day doesn't go by that I wonder what a part-time scientist and sword carrying Knight is doing as part of the team."

"You don't show it", Union Jack said.

"My point is that we all question our roles at times. The thing is to control those fears and doubts and control them instead of giving in to them. You didn't back down from Bloodscream and you won't back down from Ultron when we find him", the Knight said, putting his hand on Union Jack's shoulder. "I've read your files and you'll be fine."

"I hope so", Union Jack sighed.

"Tell you what", the Knight said. "Let's run a simulation in the Dungeon against Ultron. That might help your nerves a bit and give you a an idea of just what kind of foe he is."

"What about the machine you're watching for signs of Ultron", Union Jack asked.

"I can set it to notify me no matter where I am in the castle", the Knight said. "I need to work out some kinks anyhow and I can show you a few tricks that have worked in the past against Ultron. You can put your own twist on them."

"Sounds good", Union Jack laughed. "Let's go!"

"OK", the Knight said.

"And Dane... thanks!", Union Jack smiled.

"No problem... Avenger!", the Knight said. "Now let's head down to the Dungeon."

**

"So that's the situation", Issac Christians spoke into the phone. "It may not help, but we've got to explore every option. So can you help us, Miss Sefton?"

"What does she say", Sharon asked.

"It's gone dead", Issac said. "I've lost the connection."

"I say yes", a voice rang out as a bright flash of light appeared in the room and a young, blond woman appeared.

"Miss Sefton?", Issac smiled. "It's good to see you again."

"Call me Amanda", the young woman smiled as she stepped forward and gave Issac a hug. "And you must be Miss Marvel?", she said to Sharon.

"Call me Sharon", Sharon said as she stepped forward to shake Amanda's hand.

"I'm glad to meet you", Amanda said. "I'm Amanda Sefton, also known as Daytripper. What the heck was I thinking when I chose that name", she laughed.

"So can you help up with the quick transportation?", Issac asked.

"Of course", Amanda smiled. "We'll have to hurry though. I have a cake in the oven at Muir Island."

"You're kidding, right?", Sharon asked.

"Nope", Amanda smiled again. "Kurt.... that's Nightcrawler... and I have a special dinner planned. I left Pete Wisdom watching the oven, but if you've ever met Pete, that's not really a good idea."

"We'll hurry", Issac laughed. "I just need to go to my library at my home in Christiansboro and retrieve some old journals. I know exactly where they are."

"Just take my hand and picture your home in your mind", Amanda said.

Amanda reached out both her hands and took both Sharon and Issac by the hand... and with a big burst of light, the three vanished.

Moments later, there was another blast of light and the three reappeared, with Issac holding several old leather covered journals clad under his arm.

"Thanks, Amanda. I really do appreciate this", Issac said.

"Wow, that was freaky", Sharon smiled.

"You get used to it", Amanda laughed. "I have to run now, but if you need anything else, just call."

"Will do", Issac said. "And thanks again."

"Come on over to Muir sometime and visit... both of you", Amanda said. "See you later."

And with another burst of light, Amanda was gone.

"So... time to look at your journals, I guess", Sharon said.

"Yeppers", Issac replied. "Time to get to work."

**

In his small flat in London, Barnabas Collins, accompanied by Dr. Druid and Hank Pym, entered a small room.

"This room is hidden off from the rest of the building", Barnabas explained. "It's here where I keep my coffin and other objects that I hold dear."

"I was under the impression that you no longer needed the coffin", Dr. Druid asked.

"While Hank's serum allows me to live the semblence of a normal life and venture forth into the sunlight regularly, I don't want to take any chances or be caught unprepared, should it ever fail", Barnabas replied.

"That's probably a smart idea", Hank agreed. "Better safe than sorry."

"Here is what we need", Barnabas said as he approached a large mirror that was covered by a dark sheet.

"A mirror?", Druid asked.

"And a gateway to the realm where Angelique now resides", Barnabas said grimly. "A sort of otherworldly limbo."

"Amazing", Hank Pym replied.

Barnabas uncovered the large mirror and then quickly lit two candles that were positioned on either side of the mirror.

"Please, have a seat", Barnabas said to Hank and Druid, pointing towards two chairs off to the side of the small room.

After Druid and Dr. Pym sat down, Barnabas positioned himself to stand in front of the mirror. He took a deep breath and began to speak softly, a look of intense concentration upon his face.

"Angelique, it is Barnabas. I need your aid. Please, come to me. Come. Come."

As Druid and Pym watched in amazement, the mirror began to cloud up and fog over and an image of an attractive blonde female appeared.

"Yes, Barnabas... I have heard your call and have come. How are you, my love?", the figure in the mirror asked.

"I am well", Barnabas said.

"I understand that you have found a way around the curse and are living much like a normal man now. That makes me happy", Angelique smiled.

"Thanks to the wonders of science, I have been fortunate", Barnabas noted. "It's been a blessing!"

"How I wish I had never cursed you", Angelique said. "A woman's scorn is a terrible thing and I shall ever beg your forgiveness."

"And you have it", Barnabas said quietly. "As we both learned later, it was destined to be such and both of us had a role to play. If it had not been you, it would have been another."

"I know you're right", Angelique agreed. "We were both pawns of forces greater than either of us. But still... it was my jealousy and bitterness towards Josette that led me down the path towards evil... and it is for that I forever seek redemption."

"And I do the same... for my deeds and actions also pointed you in that direction... and thus pointed me in this direction. We both have our crosses to bear.", Barnabas agreed.

"And maybe one day, we will both be fully free of our curses and able to experience what lies beyond", Angelique said sadly.

Giving a small smile, Angelique looked over at Druid and Pym sitting there and then asked Barnabas, "So why have you summoned me? I'm sure that there is more to it than just our small talk?"

"Yes", Barnabas said. "I must ask if you have any knowledge of a being... an evil one known as Bloodscream?"

Angelique got a shocked look on her face.

"He has returned?", she asked.

"Yes",Barnabas answered. "And slaughtered many innocents. My associates, the Avengers, faced him, but were unable to defeat him."

"The Avengers", Angelique smiled. "I"m impressed, Barnabas."

"You know of the Avengers", Druid asked quietly from his sitting position on the sidelines.

"Indeed, Anthony Druid", Angelique smiled. "The exploits of the Avengers are legend, in many worlds and realms. And persons such as yourself and Henry Pym are well known as well. It is an honor to meet you."

"And you as well, dear lady", Druid smiled.

"As for Bloodscream", Angelique continued, "I'm not surprised that your team couldn't beat him for he is truly indestructable. He can only be contained... not destroyed."

"Who or what is this Bloodscream and how do we contain him", Hank Pym asked.

"He is the coming together of two powerful evils, yet more than both... a mage and a demon united together and he was the result", Angelique said.

"So he's the child of a sorcerer and a demon", Druid said. "That explains the aura I felt around him."

"He rose up once and slew his parents. And ruled for a millenium", Angelique said.

"But we can find so little information on him", Barnabas said. "It doesn't make sense."

"The world he ruled was not this one, but another", Angelique continued. "He was a threat to all, both good and evil... above and below and they united as they had never before or never since and banished him into a cell of their own design. And then they who ruled all declared that all records of this one be banished forever. And thus he survived only in legend."

"You claim that all records were destroyed, yet you're aware of him", Druid commented.

"My mother told me stories told to her by her mother", Angelique answered. "He... Bloodscream... was the boogeyman, if you will."

"But you still haven't said, what exactly is he supposed to be and how can we prevent him from slaughtering anyone else", Pym asked.

"What I remember is that Bloodscream was told as the one who seeks only to rule and dominate and recreate the world in his own image... to create a literal hell. He seeks power... pure and simple. And as I said before, he can not be beaten by conventional means, but only contained", Angelique answered.

"That would explain the artifact that he was imprisoned in", Druid said. "So we need to find a way to get him back into the artifact."

"Exactly", Hank agreed. "But the question is... how."

"If I recall correctly, he was tricked into reciting a spell that drew him into the trap that was set for him... the artifact you speak of. Get him to recite the spell again... or find a way to open the artifact yourself and force him to flee there for safety... the key is to get him to return to the artifact and then destroy it.", Angelique said.

"Anything else", Barnabas asked.

"That's all I can tell you", Angelique said quietly. "But know this. This Bloodscream is a threat far greater than you've ever faced the likes of before. If you do not defeat him, all humanity is doomed."

"Thank you, Angelique", Barnabas said. "You've been a great help."

"Good luck, Barnabas... Avengers", Angelique said. "And be blessed!"

And with that, the figure of Angelique vanished from the mirror.

"Well, that's not much, but we know more than we did before", Druid said grimly.

"We know that we have to stop this Bloodscream and find a way to imprison him back in that artifact that Druid has", Barnabas said. "Or else all is lost."

"Let's go back to the castle and tell the others", Pym said.

**

Back at the castle in the library, Issac Christians and Sharon Ventura are looking through Issac's old journals.

"So these are your personal diaries, Issac?", Sharon asked.

"From the time I was traveling, after the war", Issac answered. "I traveled the world, fascinated by the occult and trying to learn as much as I could."

"And you think there might be information on Bloodscream here?", Sharon asked. "Did you encounter him during your travels?"

"No", Issac said, "but I remember one of my teachers, a mystic in India, and his story of a 'great evil that even evil feared'. I'm thinking that might be a reference to Bloodscream."

"You think he's the one they were talking about?", Sharon asked.

"It's just a feeling", Issac said, "but I've learned to trust my guts and my guts are telling me it's all about the same person."

After a few more moments of looking, Issac smiled.

"Here it is", he said. "It's a story that the teacher spoke of... a creature born of an unnatural bond that threatened both heaven and hell. And it took the powers of both to imprison him."

"Any clues there how to beat him", Sharon asked.

"I'm not sure", Issac said. "There is talk about imprisoning him, but according to this, he is, for all purposes, unbeatable."

"So we can contain him though. That's a start", Sharon smiled.

"Probably in that artifact that Druid has... the one that held him before.", Issac said grimly. "The only problem is getting him back in there."

"Well, the others might have a suggestion as how to do that", Sharon said. "Let's go tell the others what we've found."

**

A short time later, all the Avengers had gathered in their meeting room, accompanied by their associate, Barnabas Collins.

"Before we get started, I have some good news and bad news", the Black Widow said with a bemused look on her face.

"I hate it when things start like this", the Knight said. "What's the bad news, Natasha?"

"I'll start with the good news. I spoke to Iron Man just a few moments ago and we can call off our search for Ultron", the Widow said.

"That is indeed good news", Hercules said. "Then he's been discovered already?"

"Well, he made an attack earlier tonight at the mansion in New York and well... it's Wednesday night.", the Widow smiled.

Knowing smiles formed on the faces of several of the assembled team.

"What? I don't get it", Union Jack exclaimed.

"I don't either. Why the smiles?", Issac asked.

"Well, Wednesday night is poker night", the Knight explained.

"Poker night?", Sharon asked. "But what does.... oh, now I get it", she said with a growing smile.

I'm glad that someone does", Union Jack exclaimed. "But how about an explanation for some of us newer members."

"I'm sorry", the Widow smiled. "Please let me explain. There is a long standing tradition between several members of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four... and as of late, some of the X-Men as well, for a weekly poker game. Ben Grimm, the Thing, started it years ago and it's kind of grown into a who's who of super heroes."

"And we always rotate the game between the Mansion, Four Freedom Plaza and occasionally the X-Mansion in Weschester", the Knight added.

"So who was at the game tonight?", Hercules asked.

"It was the usuals", the Widow smiled. "Iron Man, The Thing, Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Wolverine, Thor and Wonderman, as well as the X-Men Gambit, Rogue and Storm... and Scott Lang, the Ant Man."

"Scott took over the role of Ant Man from me after I had given it up", Hank Pym explained quickly.

"So anyhow, Ultron apparently thought that Scott, in his Ant Man guise, was Hank and attacked", the Widow said. "I'm sure he only sensed a few Avengers in residence and thought it would be a cake-walk. But imagine his surprise when he found not only that Scott wasn't Hank, but a whole room full of not only Avengers, but also members of the Fantastic Four and X-Men in residence."

"I suppose that he was livid", the Black Knight smiled.

"Can killer robots even get livid", Sharon asked.

"In Ultron's case, I'm sure that livid is an apt description", the Vision said.

"Long story short", the Widow said. "Ultron attacked and they managed to over-power him and defeat him. The Scarlet Witch, The Wasp and She-Hulk arrived towards the end of the battle and provided the coup-de-grace. And scratch one Ultron."

"That is great news", Hank said. "Hopefully, this time, he'll be gone for good."

"Bah! If only the son of Zeus had managed to find him first, that would have been a certainty", Hercules exclaimed.

"No doubt", Sharon smiled, placing her hand on Hercules arm.

"But what's the bad news", Union Jack asked their chairman. "You said you had good and bad news,"

"As most of you are aware, Janet, better known as the Wasp and Jennifer, the She-Hulk, went to meet with Count Petofi at the Vault and see if he could provide us with any information about Bloodscream. Wanda accompanied them as well."

"I take it that it didn't go so well", Druid commented.

"Well, Petofi offered to have their flesh boiled and screamed several curses at them, but aside from that, he was very uncooperative.", the Widow said.

"I'm not surprised", Barnabas said. "Petofi is the most vexing of souls and helping others in any way goes against his very nature."

"But luckily, we may not need him", Druid said. "Through resources available to Barnabas, we were able to gain some knowledge about Bloodscream."

"And Sharon and I have discovered some as well", Issac added.

"Well, let's go over what we've discovered and hope that it's enough", the Widow said. "Because one way or the other, Bloodscream has to be brought down."

A couple of hours later...

"So we're agreed. Druid will use his mystical abilities to attempt to track Bloodscream, Issac and Barnabas will aid him and continue their research in Issac's journals to see if they can find any more clues to incapacitating Bloodscream once we locate him, and Hank and the Knight use their equipment for the same reasons, to track, locate and hopefully incapacitate Bloodscream. T'Challa has provided us with energy readings from the area we confronted Bloodscream and between those readings and the readings that Vision has taken off that artifact, we should be able to find something.", the Widow said. "Any questions?"

"What about the rest of us", Union Jack asked.

"Keep busy and stay close", the Widow said. "Spitfire should be returning this afternoon and someone will need to brief her on what's been going on. Meanwhile, I'll be checking with my sources while the Vision continues to search for any unusual developments on the computer."

As if on cue, a buzzing noise filled the room. The Widow answered the call and after a short discussion, turned to her team.

"Well, it seems that there is no rest for the weary", the Widow said. "Scotland Yard has discovered a faction of Hydra operatives and would like the Avengers aid when they conduct their raid of the facilities."

"Hydra", the Knight said. "There's no need for us all to go if that's the case. How about I take Sharon, Union Jack and Hercules with me to help out with that while the rest of you continue in the search for Bloodscream?"

"That's fine", the Widow said. "I'll contact Spitfire and she can join you as well instead of coming back to the Castle."

"Great", the Knight said. "Are you all OK with that?"

"Lead on, friend Knight", Hercules said.

"Fine with me", Union Jack replied. "I'm ready for some action."

"Sure", Sharon answered.

"Then let's get to the Quinjet and kick some Hydra butt", the Knight said.

And with that, The Black Knight, Hercules, Ms. Marvel and Union Jack all quickly exited the room.

"My, things never do slow down much around here, do they?", Barnabas commented.

"Rarely", Druid agreed.

"As for the rest of us, let's get to work", the Widow replied.

"Should someone shout Avengers Disassemble?", Issac smiled.

"Maybe next time, Issac", the Widow smiled.

And with that, the team dispersed, all off to do their respective duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment