Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 25

Back at the Avengers Castle...

The Black Widow clicked off the moniter to her computer.

"Well, that was a waste of time", she thought to herself. The Widow had contacted numerous resources searching for even the slightest clue towards the whereabouts of Ultron, but to no avail.

"I wonder if anyone else has had any luck?", she asked herself as she clicked open the communications system for the castle.

"Hank, this is Natasha. How's that machine coming to track Ultron?", she asked.

The faces of Hank Pym and Dane Whitman appeared on the screen.

"So far, so good", Pym replied. "Dane and I have managed to rebuild it and are about to bring it online in just a few minutes."

"Excellent", the Widow replied. "Do that and keep me informed."

"Will do", Hank replied. The Black Knight, standing in the background, gave her a hearty salute and then the screen went blank.

"So far, so good", the Widow thought to herself. "I wonder if the Vision or Union Jack have discovered anything?"

Clicking another button, the face of the Vision appeared on the screen.

"Vision, have you had any luck in tracking down Ultron and his possible whereabouts?", she asked.

"Not at all", the Vision said. "If Ultron has returned, he's staying very quiet at the moment."

"Well, keep looking", the Widow said. "Has Union Jack reported back in yet?"

"Not yet", the Vision said. "But we did get a call just a few moments ago from The Black Panther from Wakanda."

"T'Challa? What's going on?", the Widow responded.

"It seems that his people intercepted a faint signal from an Avengers communicard. It was from Dr. Druid", the Vision answered.

"Druid?", the Widow said. "We haven't heard from him in weeks. He's off on some archelogical dig, I believe."

"What the Panther told me is that Druid's signal came from a place near Wakanda where he was on a archeological sabbatical and was cut off by some unknown reason after only a minute or so. We don't know the status at the moment. T'Challa said that he would check out the coordinates from where the signal originated and report back as soon as he knew something", the Vision replied.

"How long ago did this message come through?", the Widow asked.

"The Wakandans discovered Druid's signal roughly 4.3 hours ago. T'Challa left to investigate 2.1 hours ago. And we've yet to hear from him since.", the Vision replied.

"Has Hercules taken care of the situation with that creature yet?", the Widow asked.

"Yes", the Vision answered. "We had a brief visit from two of his fellow Olympians, Athena and a boy named Daniel, and they transferred custody of the animal to their care. He is currently in the library, along with Sharon Ventura and Issac Christians recording a report of the matter."

"Have the coordinates of Druid's card transmission downloaded to the Quinjet's computers", the Widow said. "I'll take Hercules, Sharon and Issac with me and we are going to check this out ourselves."

"Should I go along as well?", the Vision asked.

"No", the Widow said. "Continue the search for clues to the whereabouts of Ultron. But summon Dane for me and have him meet us at the Quinjet. Hank can finish that machine on his own and we may need the services of the Black Knight.

"Sensors indicate that Union Jack has just entered the castle. Shall I have him join you as well?", the Vision asked.

"Yes", the Widow said. "Druid is not the type of person to use his communicard for no reason. If he tried to call us, then something is majorly wrong and we need to find out what it is."

"I'm summoning the Knight and Union Jack now", the Vision said. "They'll meet you at the Quinjet. I shall also attempt to contact T'Challa and let him know that you're on the way down there."

"Good", said the Widow. "I'm on my way to the Quinjet now. We'll keep you posted. Widow out!"

**

A few minutes later, the Quinjet was in the air and on it's way towards the area where Dr. Druid had last been.

"So Druid's signal just stopped?", Issac asked. "I thought these things were good for up to two thousand miles."

"They are", the Black Knight answered. "But there could have been interference from the mountains or the jungles. Or it could be some other, more omnious reason."

"I briefly remember meeting Dr. Druid when I was with the Fantastic Four", Sharon recalled. "He doesn't strike me as the type to make crank calls."

"He's not", the Widow said. "Druid is usually too stubborn for his own good and if he was attempting to signal us, there was a good reason."

"Is the Black Panther going to meet us there?", Union Jack asked.

"He's gone to investigate", the Widow replied. "When we land, we can scout the area and attempt to rendevous with either Druid or T'Challa and find out what is going on."

"So this may just be a false alarm", Issac asked.

"It's possible... and I hope it is", the Widow said. "But Druid is one of us, an Avenger, and we have to check it out."

"Be it a false alarm or not, the son of Zeus shall not be found waiting", Hercules commented. "Druid and T'Challa are valued comrades and, by my beard, we shall be there for them!"

"I suggest that everyone strap in", the Knight said. "We're fixing to kick in the turbos."

"Do it", the Widow said. "Let's see how fast we can get to Wakanda."

**

The Black Panther moved quickly along the floor of the jungle, pausing every so often to allow Dr. Druid to catch up.

"My apologies for slowing you down", Druid told the Wakandan king. "Tracking through jungles is not my speciality."

"Make no apologies", T'Challa replied. "We all have our specialities and that you are even up and about is miraculous enough."

"I'll try a telepathic scan of the area and see if I can detect anything", Druid said.

"While you do that", T'Challa replied, "I'll attempt to contact the Avengers and see if they're on the way here yet."

T'Challa pulled out his communicard and entered a code.

"This is T'Challa calling the Avengers. Is anyone available?"

"This is the Widow", a voice replied. "We are approaching Wakandan airspace. I have Hercules, Union Jack, The Black Knight, The Gargoyle and Ms. Marvel with me. What is your status? Have you found Druid?"

"I have, Natasha", T'Challa replied. "It seems the Doctor encountered a creature that goes by the name of Bloodscream. An energy projector. Druid is OK and with me now. We're trying to track this Bloodscream right now."

"Understood", the Widow said. "Any luck so far?"

"Not really", T'Challa replied. "His trail is faint seems to vanish just a few hundred meters from the site of Druid's battle with him."

T'Challa looked over at Druid who shook his head with a frown.

"And Druid can't seem to locate him telepathically either", T'Challa continued.

"The name doesn't ring a bell", the Widow said. "I'll contact the Vision and have him run the name through our data bases. Do you want us to come rendevous with you?"

"Not here", T'Challa replied. "We can rendevous at my palace in Wakanda. Druid needs medical attention and we can plan out what to do next there."

"Very well", the Widow said. "We'll head to your palace now. How long until you expect to return?"

"I'm summoning my Mini-Quinjet now", T'Challa replied. "We should be back in roughly 40 minutes."

"We'll be waiting", the Widow said. "Widow out!"

T'Challa clicked off his card and turned to Druid.

"We'll head over to my palace in the Wakandan capital now", he said. "The other Avengers will meet us there and you can get some medical attention."

"But what about Bloodscream?", Druid asked.

"His trail has vanished, so all we can do is wait for his next move", the Panther said. "And be ready."

"I don't like it, but you're right", Druid agreed. "Let's go meet the others."

**
At the castle, The Vision continued to moniter his computers and search for any sign or trace of the killer robot known as Ultron. There was a knock at the door.

"Vision, are you having any luck?", Dr. Pym asked as he entered the room.

"Not as of yet", the Vision replied. "How goes your part of the search?"

"I've got my machine up and running, looking for any trace of the unique energy stream that Ultron produces. If there is any type of contact, it will notify me immediately", Pym answered.

"I expect the Widow to be checking in shortly", the Vision said. "I would like to have something positive to tell her."

"Hopefully, we'll get something", Pym said. "Ultron has been a thorn in both of our sides for far too long."

"Indeed", the Vision agreed. "Was there something I can help you with?"

"I just wanted to take a quick break from the lab and stretch my legs", Pym replied. "And to let you know that Barnabas Collins should be arriving here shortly."

"How are your treatments of Mr. Collins coming along", the Vision inquired.

"Extremely well", Pym answered. "I've been able to modify the serum that Dr. Julia Hoffman originally created and it helps Barnabas control the blood-lust and acts as a synthenic substitute for human blood, keeping him hale and hearty. And it also allows him to venture forth in the sunlight and live in day as well as night."

"Fascinating", the Vision replied. "And he still retains all of his vampiric abilities?"

"Yes", Pym said. "Constant exposure to direct sunlight, such as in the desert could be a problem, but apart from that, he's as powerful as ever and can still live a normal life as well."

A buzz sounded on the computer screen.

"Excuse me", the Vision told Hank Pym as he answered the call on the screen. "Vision here!"

"Vision, it's the Widow. How are things at the castle? Any luck tracking Ultron?", the Widow replied over the video screen.

"Not yet, but I'm still looking and Hank Pym has his machine searching as well.", the Vision answered.

"Fine", the Widow replied. "Keep doing that. Finding Ultron has to be a top priority."

"Agreed", the Vision said. "DId you find Dr. Druid and the Black Panther?"

"We did", the Widow said. "We're preparing to rendevous with them now in Wakanda. I need you to cross-reference a name in our files... a creature named Bloodscream. Druid had a run-in with him."

"The name doesn't sound familiar", the Vision said, "but I'll cross-reference it with all of our files and see what I can learn."

"Good", the Widow said. "Contact me if you find out anything about this Bloodscream or Ultron."

"I will", the Vision said.

"Widow out", the Widow said as she clicked off her communicator.

"Sounds like you're going to be busy", Hank Pym told the Vision, "so I'll leave you alone."

"When Barnabas Collins arrives, I'll notify you", the Vision answered.

"OK, I'll be in my lab", Hank replied. "See you later."

Hank Pym exited the room and the Vision went back to work on his computer research.

**

Back in Wakanda, the Avengers have arrived at the Royal Palace and greet T'Challa and Dr. Druid as they arrive a short time later.

"T'Challa, Druid, it's good to see you both again", the Widow said as the Panther and Druid entered the room where the Avengers were waiting.

"And you as well, Natasha", T'Challa returned the greeting.

"Before we get started", The Widow remarked, "please allow me to introduce some of our members that I don't believe you've met yet. This is Union Jack, The Gargoyle and I believe you know Ms. Marvel."

"We've met", the Panther replied. "I've also met the Gargoyle... Issac, I believe, before as well."

"That's right", Issac replied. "When the Defenders fought the Sons of the Serpent. I didn't think you'd remember."

"You're not an easy one to forget, Issac", the Widow laughed.

"True", Issac agreed.

"Not to break up the conversation, but we should discuss the latest menace", Union Jack interjected.

"Yon lad is correct", Hercules agreed. "For it was a call for aid that brought the Avengers thus."

"So what's going on?", the Black Knight asked.

"It seems that Dr. Druid had an encounter with a creature by the name of Bloodscream", T'Challa replied. "I'll let him fill you in on the details."

In a matter of moments, Druid filled his associates in on what had happened.

"So you think that this Blodscream had been imprisoned in that artifact you found?", Sharon asked.

"So it seems", Druid said. "And when I translated the encryption, it seems that I accidentially set him free."

"And we need to find him and put him back in that prison", Hercules said.

"I don't know about that", the Widow said, "but we do need to find him before he hurts anyone."

"We have sensors all over Wakanda", T'Challa said. "If he is in my country, we should be able to locate him easily."

"Somehow, I don't think it will be that easy", Druid said. "His power was immense and I sense a magical aura about him. I doubt conventional sensors would be able to detect him."

"So do you have any suggestions, Druid", the Widow asked.

"I'll try scanning psionically", Druid said. "But most likely, our best option is to wait for him to show himself and be prepared to move quickly."

"I'm getting a message from the Vision", the Widow answered. "The only Bloodscream that he can detect in our files is a reference to a vampire in Madripoor that was reportedly slain by the X-Man, Wolverine, a few years ago."

"I detected some mystical powers, but he wasn't a vampire", Druid replied.

"Why don't we send a picture of that artifact to the Vision and see if he can match it with anything on his computer", Union Jack suggested.

"That's a good idea", the Widow said.

"Might I suggest that Vision forwards the image to Dr. Strange as well. As much as I hate to admit it, he might have a better grasp on what it is than I have.", Druid suggested.

"I can't believe I just heard that", the Black Knight commented.

"What?", Sharon asked.

"I'd heard that Druid had mellowed a bit and become more humble than his earlier days when we were team-mates in New York, but to actually suggest bringing in Dr. Strange? That's more than even I was expecting", the Knight answered.

"Arrogance led to my downfall once", Druid smiled sadly. "I realize now that even I have my limitations and it's better to work with others and succeed rather than be the loner and constantly fail."

"There's no I in team", Issac added with a smile.

"And it took me far too long to learn that", Druid admitted. "And while I'm still not totally comfortable in a group enviroment, I'm not unable to admit when something is beyond my capabilities."

"Then you are truly a wise man", the Panther added as he joined the conversation.

At this moment, one of the Panther's scientist's came running up.

"Excuse me, my liege", the man said quickly. "We've got an emergency. An unidentified being is tearing apart the village over near Kan'ai!"

"That's not far from where Bloodscream was", T'Challa said. "I believe that our foe is making his move. Avengers, follow me to my situation room."

Moving as one, the assembled heroes folowed the ruler of Wakanda to a large room full of scientists and workers.

"Get me a visual on Kan'ai", the Panther said to one of the men as they entered the room.

A large video moniter came to life and the image of a skull-faced being wearing a cloak came upon the screen, laughing insanely as he blasted bolts of strange energy all around the village.

"That's him. That's Bloodscream", Druid said quickly.

"Then let's make haste", the Panther replied.

"In other words", the Widow added, "Avengers Assemble!"

And as one, the Avengers were out the door and moving quickly to their Quinjet, ready to confront this Bloodscream and end his violent and destructive rampage.

No comments:

Post a Comment