Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 14

Several hours passed and the heroes talked among themselves. Most of the conversation was a light banter to keep the guards distracted and at ease. But using the telepathic powers of Dr. Druid to link them, the heroes also made plans in their minds, for escape from their prison... and victory over the evil Count Petofi.

"Guards", the Widow spoke loudly to one of the henchmen who guarded the energy cell that held the Avengers and their allies. "Tell your Count Petofi that I will accept his gracious offer for dinner."

Without a reply, one of the guards left the room to relay the message to Count Petofi. Meanwhile, the Avengers talked once more.

"Be very careful, Natasha, that he not be allowed to touch you with his left hand, the one that wears the ring", Barnabas Collins warned her.

"So that's where all of his power lays", the Widow said.

"Indeed", Quentin answered. "And just to feel that foul touch will mean a curse eternal and most evil."

"I'll be careful", the Widow said.

"I don't like this", Druid said.

"Me neither, Missy!", Gargoyle added.

"We have to get answers", the Widow said. "And I can keep him distracted and occupied while the rest of you escape this place."

"And then we can take the fight to him, as a team", Spitfire added.

"Exactly", the Widow said. "Now be quiet. Here comes the guard back."

"Just be careful", Barnabas whispered as he stepped back away from the Widow.

"You", said the guard, pointing at the Black Widow. "Move to the front of the cage. The rest of you, step back and don't try anything!"

"Of course not, Papi", Living Lightning said as they moved back.

In the back of the cage, unseen by the guards, Dr. Druid began to concentrate. Meanwhile the Black Widow moved forward towards the exit of the energy barrier, but quickly stopped and stooped down, picking up a jacket.

"Almost forgot my jacket", the Widow smiled as she stepped out of the barrier into the midst of the guards. "But I didn't realize how warm it is out here."

And with a very casual toss, the Widow tossed her jacket over to a chair that one of the guards had been using.

"I suppose it will be safe there", she said to the guards that were watching her closely. "Now shall we go. Count Petofi is waiting."

A regiment of guards surrounded the Black Widow and they left the room. Meanwhile, the other guards re-assumed their positions at each corner of the cell holding the still trapped heroes.

**

Count Petofi sat at a small dining table set for two and watched as the guards led the Black Widow into the room.

"I am so glad you accepted my invitation for dinner, my dear", Petofi said as the Widow stepped up to the table. "Please sit down!"

"I'm honored, Count Petofi", the Widow said as she took a seat across from the Count.

"Andreas, please", Petofi said.

"Of course", the Widow replied. "And I am Natasha."

"A lovely name for a beautiful woman. I wasn't sure that you'd accept my invitation", Petofi smiled. "I'm sure that Barnabas and Quentin have told you many terrible things about me."

"They're definitely not fond of you", the Widow said. "But how else do I get answers to the questions I have and learn what I desire to know."

"To the point", Petofi said. "I like that. And I shall do my best to answer your questions."

"Thank you", the Widow said.

"But while we talk", Petofi said, "we shall also dine."

Petofi waved his hand and servants appeared with trays of fine food and bottles of the finest wine, which were placed before the Count and the Widow. After they finished laying out the meal, Petofi said to the servents, "That will be all! Now leave us!" And they quickly vanished from the room.

"And now", Petofi said, turning towards the Widow, "what do you wish to know?"

"Let's start at the beginning. How did Quentin Collins end up as the leader of a cult of vampires. Where do Master Pandemonium and Viper fit into the picture. What happened to the real Yellow Claw. And what exactly is the purpose of all of this?", the Widow asked.

"So many questions. And I will give you the answers you seek. It's simply about power. And immortality.", Petofi said.

"Quentin did insinuate that you were somewhat obsessed with eternal life", Widow remarked.

"Obsessed?", Petofi pondered for a moment. "Perhaps, but what is obsession, but a determination to succeed?"

Petofi turned and stared towards the Widow.

"I am not a foolish man", Petofi said. "I know that while you sit here and ask your questions, your friends are most likely planning to use their various abilities to escape my holding facilities and may, even now, be on their way here to confront me once more."

The Widow said nothing.

"I don't fear them", he continued. "You want answers. I'll give you answers. Quentin Collins is an old advesary of mine, as is his cousin, the vampire Barnabas. They have thwarted my plans many times in the past several hundred years. And in our last meeting, they thought they were rid of me for good when that blasted werewolf managed to cut off my hand, the infamous 'left hand of Petofi'!"

The Count held up his left hand for effect and an odd ring, shining of gold and jewels gleamed in the moonlight that crept through an open window. The Widow felt an involuntary shudder move up her body and despite herself, trembled a bit.

"You feel my power", Petofi gloated as he observed the Widow. "Soon, the world will know of the power I possess!".

Petofi glanced at the Widow once more.

"But you want information, correct?", he asked. "As I said, my hand was cut off and my body was left to burn in flames. I died a mortal death, but what is death for one such as I? As long as the Collins live, even cursed as they are, I shall never truly die!"

"So your return from the dead is related to Barnabas and Quentin", the Widow asked.

"I actually have the Yellow Claw to thank for my revival", Petofi explained. "The Claw, here on this island retreat of his, was seeking a way to gain power. He had reached a partnership with the demon, Master Pandemonium, as well as the terrorist known as Viper. Using the underworld knowledge of Pandemonium, The Claw discovered an obscure reference to the power I possess, the left hand of Petofi. He had the delusion that he could ressurect me, summon me, and I would be his slave. He was mistaken."

"Then the Yellow Claw?", the Widow asked.

"Is dead!", Petofi said. "Within moments of my revival, I slew him where he stood. I used my powers to place Pandemonium and Viper under my control and assumed the Claw's likeness and control of his criminal empire."

"This doesn't explain how Quentin ended up with that vampire cult or the vampire connection itself", the Widow said.

"After a while, I grew bored. I wanted more power than this role I had assumed offered me", Petofi said. "And I also realized that I still had the spectre of age and death hanging over me. I was not yet immortal, although admittingly I was very close. At Pandemonium's reccomendation, I decided to use vampires as my underlings in order to pursue the goals I sought and see true immortality."

"And Viper?", the Widow asked.

"I realized quickly that her will would be too strong to control completely, so I erased her memories and sent her back to Madripoor, where she now rules, oblivious to the knowledge of my presence", Petofi said.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that", the Widow said to herself. "But I still wonder, how did Quentin get involved in all of this!".

"I'm coming to that", Petofi said. "It was a simple matter to assume control of several families of vampires and make them bow to me. But I realized that I needed someone to act as my agent. I controlled the vampires, but if one such as Dracula perhaps was to take notice, it could be a struggle. So I needed a pasty. And by coincidence, my agents happened to stumble across Quentin Collins on the streets of Paris late one night. We captured him, used a mixture of magic and science to brainwash him and set him free as the defacto-ruler of the vampires, answerable only to me."

"Why Quentin?", the Widow asked once more.

"Haven't you listened?", Petofi glared at her. "The irony of having my greatest foe as my surrogate was just too great to resist. I never expected to have so-called super-heroes get involved, but I suppose that was a small error on my part, easily rectified."

"So what now", the Widow asked as the Count looked out the window at the moon starting to rise in the sky.

"I easily vanquished each of you", Petofi said. "And now, what wonderful slaves each of you shall make, loyal and subservient only to the will of Petofi."

"And if we don't wish to cooperate", the Widow asked as she stood up from the table.

"You will", Petofi said. "Or else you'll die!"

**

Meanwhile, back in the holding facility, the guards still stood at their positions guarding the captured Avengers and their associates.

"Are we ready to bust out of this place yet", Iceman asked quietly to Dr. Druid.

"We want to give the Widow plenty of time to question Petofi", Druid replied. "Besides, I'm in mental contact with her even as we speak and the story Petofi is giving is most fascinating!"

"And full of lies", Quentin Collins sneered. "Petofi wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in the...!"

"Besides", Spitfire added. "We don't have to bust out of here. We still have our ace in the hole!"

The heroes turned and watched as the 'jacket' that the Widow had so casually tossed on the back of a chair began to slowly change shape and move. It fell quietly to the floor and began to melt and morph into the shape of a lovely, green skinned lady, the Skrull warrior and Avenger known as Lyja Storm. With a quick combination of speed and stealth, the hero quickly and quietly used to powers to subdue the four guards and leave them unconcious on the floor.

"Hi guys. Have you out in a second", Lyja said as she moved over to a computer control panel and pushed a few buttons. The heroes could feel and see the energy barrier that had been containing them vanish.

"Free at last! Free at last", Living Lightning snickered.

"This is no time for humor", Barnabas quickly reminded them. "So long as Petofi is free, we are all in danger."

"It ain't just Petofi you have to worry about", a voice rang out.

There, in the doorway, stood the villian Boomerang, along with eight gold plated robots.

"Mandroids", Druid said. "Very dangerous robots!"

"So this means...?", Iceman said.

"Avengers Assemble!", several of the heroes shouted at once, throwing themselves towards their foes.

"Have at thee, metallic beast", Hercules bellowed as he threw a hard punch towards one of the glowing robots. The robot absorbed the impact and stood there, barely damaged by the pounding fists of the Olympian demi-god.

"By the beard of my father", Hercules proclaimed. "A challenge. What fun!"

"Trust Herc to enjoy all of this", Iceman muttered as he encased one of the golden machines in a giant block of ice.

"Look out", Spitfire said as she shoved Phillip and Quentin out of the way of a blast of energy generated by one of the Mandroid robots.

"Damn! Thanks!", Quentin said. "I think we're in over our heads here."

"This one agrees", Mantis said as she dodged a coil of wire from one of the robots. "You and Jacques leave here and go after Petofi. See if the Widow needs aid. We will follow when we can!"

"We're not running", Quentin said.

"You and Barnabas know Petofi better than any of us", Druid shouted as he telekenetically blasted a Mandroid. "If we don't beat him, none of this matters!"

"What they're saying, kiddos", Gargoyle added as he flew by, "is go... NOW!"

Quentin nodded as he headed out the door, dragging along Jacques behind him.

"Not so fast, Wolf Boy", Boomerang yelled as he prepared to toss one of his boomerangs at the two fleeing heroes.

"Oh shut up!", Spitfire said as she sped by at super-speed and landed a big left to Boomerang's jaw. "Idiot", she mummered.

So the battle continued as Mantis and Spitfire teamed up on one Mandroid. Iceman froze another while Gargoyle blasted at a third with his bio-electric blasts. Living Lightning was attempting to overload the mechanical beasts, while Druid was using his abilities to confuse their senses. Barnabas, in the form of a giant bat, bashed one robot in the head before fleeing out the door to follow his cousin in pursuit of Count Petofi. And Hercules used his great strength to toss and batter each robot as it dared to venture too close to his pounding fists and waiting arms.

**

Back in the dining room, Black Widow was now up and coiled, ready to fight as she backed away from Count Petofi.

"Your friends have broken free", Petofi said. Even now, those robots, you call them Mandroids, are tending to them."

"My friends can handle your robots", the Widow said.

"Maybe", Petofi said. "But it will take them some time. And I'm afraid my dear, that time has run out... for you!"

Petofi moved towards the Widow who launched herself into the air, moving towards the open window, only to slam into an invisible energy field that covered the window.

"Blast it!", Widow exclaimed as she lept back to her feet.

"There is no escape for you, Natasha", Petofi smiled. "Even if your friends escape the Mandroids, even if you manage to escape me, you will all still fail in the end."

"Not if I have anything to say about it", the Widow said as she shot her patented Widow's sting at the Count. He just laughed at her.

"Your weapons will not avail you", Petofi sneered. My weaknesses are few and you, my dear, do not possess the necessary skills or weaponry. Now, be a good slave and settle down!"

Petofi waved his cursed hand through the air and a blast of wind and air slammed against the Widow, slamming her into a wall and knocking the breath from her body.

"And now, prepare to feel the curse of the hand of Petofi", Petofi said as he approached the stunned heroine.

"Not so fast", a voice rang out as Quentin Collins entered the room. "Leave her alone!"

"Collins, you fool! You can not defeat me. You don't have the power!", Petofi screeched.

"But I do", Barnabas said as he entered the room, followed closely by Phillip.

"All I have to do is touch you, either of you with my hand, and you'll be finished", Petofi yelled.

"Then you shall not do so", Jacques said as he lept towards Petofi with a shroud he had pulled from the wall, partially wrapping the shroud around the top part of Petofi's body and arms.

"Stupid mortal", shouted Petofi as he cast a spell that sent Phillip flying across the room.

Barnabas, in the form of a giant bat, swept down and barrelled hard into Petofi knocking him back a few feet.

"Accursed vampire", Petofi screamed, blasting energy bolts all across the room, attempting to hit the dark shadowy form that was circling around the room.

"I'm not the one you need to worry about", Barnabas said as he dodged another bolt of energy.

"What?", Petofi said as he sent a mystical bolt flying towards The Black Widow and Jacques, who scattered and leaped out of the way.

"I think he means me", a voice growled.

Petofi spun around and there stood Quentin Collins in full werewolf mode, growling and slobbering.

"It's not possible. You can't control the change. You can't....!", Petofi said.

"Yes, he can... thanks to me", Jacques stated from behind the overturned table where he had taken shelter.

"Then you die", Petofi said as he blasted towards the sound of the young man.

Quentin took advantage of the distraction and quickly lept on top of Petofi, claws and teeth flashing. Petofi raised his cursed arm to fight Quentin off, but as he raised his hand, a swipe of razor-sharp claws from the enraged wolf-man slashed the arm and removed the cursed hand just above the wrist. The Hand of Petofi fell to the floor with a thud.

"Auuuuuuugggggghhhh!", Petofi screamed as he fell to the ground, holding his arm where his hand had previously been.

"Gotcha", the wolfman Collins growled as he stepped back to watch Petofi squirm in pain.

Barnabas resumed his human shape as the Black Widow and Jacques came forth from their sheltered places. A moment later, Spitfire, Lyja and Mantis came bursting into the room, followed closely by Iceman, and Dr. Druid.

"SHIELD has raided the island and are taking control of the Claw's... I mean Petofi's forces. Hercules, Gargoyle and the Living Lightning are helping them round everyone up!", Druid said.

"And Quentin has taken care of Petofi", the Widow said, glancing at the beaten form of Count Petofi, who was now sitting up on the floor, still holding his injured arm.

"I've got the hand wrapped up in a ice-cube that Bobby created", Druid said. "This will keep it on ice until I can find a way to either destroy it or negate it's power!"

"On ice?", Iceman said. "Druid made a funny!"

"So is it over", Spitfire asked Barnabas and Quentin.

"Petofi is defeated once more", Barnabas said. "I believe it is."

"What are we going to do with Petofi", Lyja asked as she assumed human form and landed near the others.

"The Vault should be able to hold him", the Widow said.

"Yes", Barnabas agreed. "Without his hand and ring, he's essentially powerless."

"He's still very dangerous though", Quentin added, staring solemnly at his fallen foe.

"Do you think you'll be able to do anything with his hand?", the Widow asked Druid.

"I'm not sure", Druid said. "It's very powerful and very evil. Our best option may be just to banish it forever to some place where Petofi will never be able to reclaim it."

"Or anyone else, for that matter", Spitfire said.

Hercules, Gargoyle and Living Lightning joined the group.

"SHIELD has control of the island", Lightning told the Widow.

"Once the troops came aboard to back us up", the Gargoyle added, "it didn't take long to secure this place. Fury is here too and he'll be here in a few minutes."

"So that's yon cur who risked the wrath of the son of Zeus", Hercules asked, pointing at Petofi.

"That's him, Herc", Iceman said. "Doesn't look like much, does he?"

"Looks can be decieving", Barnabas said.

"Yeah, just look at the ice cube there", Living Lightning said, pointing towards Iceman.

"Ha Ha very funny", Iceman said. "So says the walking battery!"

The heroes, joined by Nick Fury, stood around and talked about different ways to get rid of the cursed 'Hand of Petofi'.

"I think SHIELD should take custody of it", Fury said. "If it's so powerful and dangerous, I can make sure it's locked away so deep, it never sees the light of day again!"

"Maybe, but I'd much rather have it destroyed... or so far away, no human will have to risk being it's victim again", the Widow said.

"We've tried to destroy it before", Barnabas said, "but the cursed hand is seemingly immortal!"

"If thou dost desire it", Hercules chimed in, "I could take it to fabled Olympus and have my father cast it into a realm neither man nor god would ever dare venture."

"That's an idea", Druid said. "I'd like to see if I can remove the curse though first."

"The risk to you though", Lyja said. "Just having that... hand around is dangerous."

"It's quite possible that the curse could very well attach itself to you", Barnabas said.

"It's not safe", Quentin said. "We need to make sure that hand is destroyed... completely and forever!"

"We can discuss this at the Castle", the Widow said. "For now, we'll keep the hand on ice, as it is, and make sure that no one has any physical contact with it. But we'll take it back to the castle with us and let Druid see if he can break or nullify the curse that's on the hand and ring."

"Just make sure you let me know what action you decide to take", Fury said. "Now, you yahoo's get out of here while my boys secure this island and make sure that Petofi nut is locked away for a while."

"Are you sure your people can detain him", Barnabas asked.

"Don't worry about my people", Fury said. "We specialize in super-powered, would be world rulers!"

"Just keep a close eye on that one. He's far more dangerous than he looks or seems", Quentin added.

Nick Fury scowled at the two Collins cousins before walking off.

"I'll contact you later, Widow", he said.

"So long, Nick", the Widow responded. "As for the rest of us, let's go home!"

"Sounds good to me", Lyja said with a smile.

"Me too", Gargoyle agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment