Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 27

The Vision kept an eye on his computer screen. The Widow and the other Avengers would be returning shortly from Wakanda after a failed encounter with a being known as Bloodscream. The vampire, Barnabas Collins, an associate of the Avenger's team, seemingly had some information on the creature, so he would be working with Hank Pym on that issue as soon as he returned from his dwelling. That meant that the Vision was free to concentrate on other things, mainly tracking down the robot known as Ultron.

"So far, I've had no luck in tracking Ultron's movements", the Vision thought to himself as he entered more data into his computer. "Maybe if I look for sources of adamantium. He would be looking for raw sources of that metal composite to rebuild his body, since the last one was destroyed by Thor and Wanda."

After entering more data, the Vision sat back to allow the computer time to do it's work.

"This might take a while", he thought. "While I'm waiting, I can take another look for any references to Bloodscream that I may have missed earlier."

But before the Vision could enter any information, a small buzzing noise interupted his thoughts.

"A communications alert", the Vision thought as he clicked on a small screen.

"Yes, this is the Vision. How may I help you?", he said to the face on the sceen.

"Vision", the man on the screen said. "This is Constable Lawrence O'Brien of Newcastle. We have a situation here and need the Avenger's help."

"The team is currently not available at the moment", the Vision said, "but tell me what your problem is and I'll see what I can do to help."

"The mutant known as Avalanche", the Constable replied. "We've got him holed up in a local pub. He's got hostages though and is keeping our SWAT forces at bay with those damn powers of his."

"I see", the Vision said. "Have your people keep him keep him contained as best they can. I'll be there shortly."

"Will do, Avenger. And thanks!", the Constable said.

After clicking off the screen, the Vision notified Dr. Pym that he was going out to handle a situation and he would return shortly.

"Would you like me to accompany you", Hank asked.

"No", the Vision said. "Continue to search for Ultron and wait for Mr. Collins to return. I should be able to handle this."

"Keep your card on and if you need any assistance, let us know", Hank said.

"I will", the Vision said as he turned immaterial and headed towards the Quinjets. "But Avalanche should not not be a problem."

**

As the Quinjet holding the Vision left the castle, a taxi pulled to the front of the castle and Barnabas Collins jumped out.

"I wonder what's going on", he mused as he ran the front bell.

"Yes", a voice came out from the speaker by the door.

"It's Barnabas Collins. Dr. Pym is expecting me.", Barnabas quickly replied.

"The door's unlocked, Barnabas", Hank Pym's voice replied. "I'm in the lab. Come on up!"

Quickly, Barnabas entered the castle and went to the lab where Dr. Pym was waiting.

"Sorry about not being there to greet you", Hank said as Barnabas entered. "I didn't expect you to come back in a cab."

"I couldn't carry these in my bat form", Barnabas said as he opened a bag and pulled out several well-worn and very old books.

"Those are the diaries?", Pym asked.

"They are", Barnabas answered. "Angelique gave them to me a few years ago."

"I thought she was dead", Hank asked.

"She is", Barnabas replied. "But when has that mattered?"

"Touche", Hank said.

"By the way, I saw a Quinjet leaving when I arrived. Is there a problem?", Barnabas asked.

"The Vision is responding to a police call for help", Hank said. "A bad guy named Avalanche."

"Is it wise for him to go alone?", Barnabas asked.

"Vision can handle Avalanche easily enough. He's powerful, but not very smart. If the Vision needs us, he'll call", Hank answered.

"If you say so", Barnabas said grimly. "So have the others encountered Bloodscream yet?"

"They did and got their butts handed to them from how it sounds", Pym said. "The team is on their way back and Dr. Druid is with them."

"Good", Barnabas said. "His knowledge of the occult should be very useful"

"You think Bloodscream is a creature of magic?", Hank asked.

"I think so", Barnabas said. "Now let's go through the diaries and let me show you what I found earlier... the reference."

"Fine", Hank said. "Maybe we can have something for Druid and the others when they get back."

"I hope so", Barnabas said. "I hope so."

**

Within a matter of minutes, the Quinjet carrying the Vision arrived at it's location in Newcastle.

The Vision quickly landed the Quinjet and exited, walking over next to the Constable.

"Constable, what is the situation?", the Vision asked, spooking the Constable.

Oh, you spooked me", the Constable told the Vision. "Avalanche is holed up in the pub there. We believe that he's got four hostages in there."

"Do you have a fix on his location within the establishment?", the Vision asked.

"He's right near that big window there, where he can see if anyone tries to approach the building", the Constable said.

"Is there any other way to enter the building?", the Vision asked.

"Nope! Just one way in and out, right there at the front", the Constable pointed out.

"Very well", the Vision said. "Tell your men to hold their positions and hold their fire."

"OK, but what are you going to do?", the Constable asked.

But he was speaking to himself as the Vision had turned immaterial and vanished, dropping into the ground below him.

Meanwhile, in the pub, Avalanche was pondering his situation.

"All I wanted was a freakin' drink", he ranted. "That damn copper had to recognize me and call in reinforcements, blast him"

He glared at the bartender and the waitresses, who were now acting as his hostages.

"Don't look at me with those sad eyes", he said. "I won't hurt ya unless I have to. I'm just waiting for the sun to go down so I can slip outta here and get away."

Avalanche glanced over at the bartender whose eyes were getting bigger.

"What? What's going on? Why are you staring?", Avalanche asked.

From behind him, the Vision silently rose up, immaterial through the floor, and returned to solid form.

"What's that behind me..", Avalanche swerved around and came face to face with the face of the synthezoid Avenger.

"Oh crap", Avalanche said as the Vision turned his arm immaterial and plunged it into the chest of Avalanche, partially solidifying it and causing Avalanche to pass out, unconcious.

"Is everyone all right", the Vision asked the bartender and waitresses as he once more became solid in form.

"What... are you", one of the waitresses asked.

"I am the Vision", Vision replied. "I'm one of the Avengers."

"Thank you.. thank you", another of the waitresses said, rushing up and giving the Vision a hug.

"You're welcome", Vision said. "Now, allow me to notify the Constable that Avalanche has been incapacitated and all is safe."

**

The Avengers had returned to the castle after their adventure in Wakanda. While most of the others had gone to clean up and rest, Dr. Druid joined Hank Pym and Barnabas Collins in the lab.

"So have you managed to discover anything on Blooodscream in those diaries of yours, Barnabas?", Druid asked.

"Just an reference here that Angelique wrote back in 1789", Barnabas replied. "Read for yourself."

Barnabas handed Druid the well worn book and Druid looked down and read...

"I noted a trace of fear in the face of Nicholas when last we spoke. I asked him what was the problem and he spoke briefly of the mating of a demon with a witch, the result of which was a para-demon of untold power and corruption to the extreme. He mentioned that this being was dangerous, even to him. The idea that any being could bring fear to Nicholas makes fearful as well. When asked of his plans, he said that the evil one could not be defeated... only imprisoned. And when asked to name the creature, he said it had no true name, but they called it Bloodscream!"

"That's it", Druid asked. "Not much here, except for an acknowledgement that Bloodscream existed before and was considered a threat, even by the sorcerers of that time."

"It also says that he was unbeatable, and had to be imprisoned, which I would assume was in the artifact that you discovered", Barnabas added.

"Maybe if we can find out more about this Nicholas, it would help", Hank Pym suggested.

"Nicholas was an alias used by Count Petofi", Barnabas said.

"So if we talk to Petofi, we should be able to find out more about Bloodscream", Pym said.

"Most likely", Druid said, "but Petofi would never aid us. His hatred for Barnabas is too great and I believe he now includes the Avengers in that hatred as well."

"Is the Count still being held by your authorities?", Barnabas asked.

"SHIELD is still holding him", Hank Pym said. "He's being detained under specialized security in the Vault".

"The Vault?", Barnabas asked.

"It's a very high tech specialized holding facility in Colorado for super-powered criminals", Pym explained.

"Amazing", Barnabas said. "I didn't think that there was any type of facility that could hold someone like Petofi for long."

"Well, according to this file I just pulled up from our joint-access with SHIELD, his hand, which was the source of his power, is kept in a secure, undisclosed location.", Pym said.

"And without his hand, he's essentially powerless", Druid said.

"Petofi is never powerless", Barnabas said. "He may not have access to the majority of his abilities, but he is not any less dangerous."

"Point taken", Pym said.

"So should we arrange to travel to the Vault and question Petofi", Pym asked.

"Even with your Quinjets, that would take several hours", Barnabas said. "And I doubt Petofi would willingly help us in any manner."

"Well, it's worth a shot", Pym said. "I'll call the Mansion in New York and see who's available. Maybe someone from the New York team can travel to Colorado and question him while we pursue other methods of investigation here."

"The benefits of being part of such a large organization", Druid smiled.

"Absolutely", Pym said as he opened up a line to the Avengers Mansion in New York City. "Now let's see who's home."

A few minutes later...

"OK, I just talked to Jan and she's going to head up to the Vault to attempt to get something out of Petofi", Hank said.

"The Wasp?", Druid said. "Janet is a extremely tough young lady, but I didn't know that interrogation was one of her strong points."

"That's because you were never married to her", Hank smiled. "But She-Hulk is going with her and Jennifer is extremely competent when it comes to getting answers."

"No doubt because of her experience as an attorney", Druid agreed. "So that's being handled on that end. What should we try on this end."

"My suggestion would be attempt to contact Angelique and see if she knows more than she wrote and can help us.", Barnabas said.

"But Angelique is the one who turned you into a vampire... and she's dead. How would you contact her?", Pym asked.

"Very simple", Barnabas said. "Death for ones such as Angelique isn't quite the same as it would be for most others. There are ways to contact her."

"Like a seance", Pym asked.

"That's one way", Druid said, "but I believe it's not quite that complicated for Barnabas. Am I correct?"

"You are, Doctor", Barnabas said. "I have the means to communicate with her at my flat. I might need your assistance though."

"And you shall have it", Druid said. "I'll notify the Widow as to where we're headed and what we're going to attempt to do and we can leave immediately."

"And if you don't mind, I'd like to come as well. I may be a man of science, but I find this mystical stuff fascinating", Pym said.

"Very well", Barnabas said. ''Shall we go?"

No comments:

Post a Comment