Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 34

Collinwood...

Quentin, Mantis & Jacques sat at the breakfast table.

"Any idea how long it will take Barnabas to get here?", Mantis asked Quentin.

"His plane is flying in this morning from London", Quentin replied. "I offered to pick him up at the airport, but he said he would make his own way here."

"How about your friends from the Avengers, mother?", Jacques asked.

"Wanda only told this one that she and her mentor, the witch Agatha Harkness, will be here as soon as they can today", Mantis replied.

"I just hope they get here soon", Quentin said. "I would like to be able to get to the bottom of all that's been happening and help Julia, if we truly can."

Just then, Willie came into the room.

"Quentin, I think your friends are here. There's a car pulling up out front", he said.

Quentin, Mantis and Jacques leaped up and followed Quentin to the front door where indeed a bright red 1967 Volkswagon Beetle convertible was pulling up in front of the house. Driving the small vintage car was Wanda Maximoff, aka The Scarlet Witch. Sitting beside her in the passenger seat was an elderly woman with bushy white hair blowing in the wind, the witch Agatha Harkness.

"Wanda", Mantis said as they walked out to greet their guests. "This one is so happy that you could come."

"After what you told me Mantis, I couldn't not come", Wanda replied. "Please allow me to introduce my mentor and teacher and a very dear person, Agatha Harkness."

Agatha nodded to the persons with a smile.

"I'm so pleased to finally meet you, Mantis. I've heard much about you from Wanda", Agatha smiled.

"And I'm Quentin Collins", Quentin said, introducing himself as he stepped forward.

"And I've heard much about you as well, Mr. Collins", Agatha smiled. "Your reputation precedes you, as does the reputation of your cousin, Barnabas."

"As does yours, Miss Harkness", Quentin smiled.

Jacques and Willie were also quickly introduced to Wanda and Agatha.

"So this is the famous Collinwood", Agatha said as she looked around. "This is a beautiful house and with such a history."

"If you'd like, I'd be glad to give you both a quick tour while we wait for Barnabas", Quentin smiled.

"I'd appreciate that, but maybe later", Agatha said. "Based on what Wanda has told me, there is much work to be done and we must prepare for I fear that the very soul of your Dr. Hoffman may be in great peril."

"What do we need to do", Mantis asked.

"I'll tell you", Agatha said. "Is there a room where we will be able to work from?"

"The library would probably be best", Quentin suggested.

"Then let us all retreat to the library and I'll explain what we need to do", Agatha said.

"What about Barnabas?", Willie asked.

"We'll catch him up when he arrives", Agatha said. "Now let's get to work!"

"Wait a moment", Jacques said before the group could move into the house. "I sense something... someone and it's coming this way."

As if on cue, a large black bat flew into sight and dropped to the ground near the group, morphing and taking the shape of Barnabas Collins.

"Barnabas Collins, I presume", Agatha Harkness smiled as a handsome, dark cloaked man stood before her.

"Hey Barnabas, we were waiting for you", Quentin said as he moved forward to greet his cousin.

"Well, I am here", Barnabas said.

"Quite an entrance, Mr. Collins", the Scarlet Witch commented as introductions were made.

"I just arrived at the airport a little while ago and felt this would be the quickest way to get here", Barnabas said.

"A giant bat flying around in the daylight", Mantis smiled. "Very chic!"

"Speed was of the essence", Barnabas smiled grimly. "It couldn't be helped!"

"I'm just glad you're here, Cousin", Quentin said. "Now, we can get to work and see if we can figure out exactly what is going on."

"Let us proceed to your library", Agatha remarked, taking charge of the group. "As Mr. Collins said, speed is of the essence!"

And with that remark, the unique group headed towards the library of the old house known as Collinwood.

**
Back in London at the Avenger's Castle, the remaining members of the team have reunited.

"So someone broke into my home while we were away", Spitfire remarked. "Have the authorities been able to discover what it was they were looking for?"

"Not yet, Jackie", Union Jack replied. "But I'm thinking that it had something to do with your father, Lord Falsworth."

"What makes you think that?", the Black Widow asked as she joined the conversation.

"They went straight to the trophy room and bypassed the rest of the house", Union Jack replied. "Jackie has never been one to display most of her souviners or trophies, but that room is full of memorbilia from the career of her father, the original Union Jack.

"That makes sense", Spitfire agreed. "But there is so much stuff in that room, it's hard to determine just what they were after."

"I could do a telepathic mind-scan of the perpetrators", Dr. Druid suggested as he joined the conversation.

"I don't know if the authorities would allow it", Union Jack answered.

"Probably not", the Widow replied. "After all, even criminals have some rights."

"My people did an inventory of the room and nothing is missing", Spitfire said.

"So I obviously arrived in time to prevent them from getting whatever it was they were searching for", Union Jack added.

"So they may try again", Spitfire said.

"I would suggest that you increase your security measures at Falsworth Manor", Dr. Druid remarked.

"I've already asked Dane to take a look at and modify the security of my home", Spitfire remarked.

"So that's where he's vanished to", the Widow said. "I was wondering."

"Yes", Spitfire said. "He and, I believe Hercules, have gone over to Falsworth Manor to look around and get some ideas."

"Well, you can't find a much better person to take of that than Dane", the Widow agreed.

"Speaking of taking care of, where is our newest guest, the so-called Snowman", Druid asked.

"She is with Sharon and Issac", the Widow answered. "They're showing her around the castle and helping her get settled in."

"What exactly is her status", Druid asked, "so far as the team goes?"

"She's our guest", the Widow said. "She will be allowed access to all, but the most classified areas and we will help her learn and train in the use of her powers."

"She seems like an intriguing young lady", Druid remarked.

"She's very smart and very powerful in many ways, but it just seems to me that she needs a little direction in her life", Spitfire added.

"I agree", the Widow said. "That's why I've offered her to stay here as our guest."

"I don't know about all of that", Union Jack smiled. "But she's definitely a looker!"

"Easy there, Romeo", Spitfire laughed. "Lets give her a chance to settle in first before you're trying to mack up to her."

"I was just saying she's an attractive lady", Union Jack said, defending himself.

"Yeah, sure you were", Spitfire smiled.

"Ahem", Druid interjected. "Not to change the subject, but Natasha, weren't we supposed to be getting a visit from a Government representative soon?"

"That's right", the Widow said. "I had almost forgotten."

"What's up with that, Natasha?", Spitfire asked. "Big brother checking up on us?"

"That's right", the Widow answered. "You missed the last briefing. Captain America informed me that all three teams of Avengers, both American teams and us, will be getting a visit from a representative from the U.N. to basically survey our teams and make sure we're performing at maxium efficency."

"Is that all it is", Union Jack asked. "No big deal!"

"Captain America didn't seem to think so either. I don't think we have much to worry about!", the Widow said.

"I don't know", Spitfire said. "Maybe it's just because of my own political background, but anytime the government... any government, wants to just look things over and inspect the books, it's trouble waiting to happen."

"I hope you're wrong, Jacquiline", the Widow said. "But however it goes, we'll be OK."

"We'd best be on our P's and Q's anyhow when the representative arrives", Druid suggested. "Just to be on the safe side!"

"Agreed", the WIdow said.

"Any idea who will be coming to check up on us?", Union Jack asked. "Have you heard a name yet?"

"Not yet", the Widow said. "I'll call Cap this afternoon and see if he's heard anything else."

"Well, if we're not needed, I think I'll ride down and meet the thugs who broke into my home", Spitfire said. "Maybe we can get a lead on what it was they were looking for."

"I'll go with you, Jackie", Union Jack said. "I have a few questions for them myself."

"Come on then", Spitfire said. "We'll be back later!"

"Bye guys", Union Jack said as he followed Spitfire out of the room.

"And what do you have on the agenda for today, Doctor?", the Widow asked Dr. Druid.

"If things remain quiet, I think I'm going to try and contact either Barnabas or Quentin Collins", Druid said.

"Dare I ask why?", the Widow asked.

"I've had a buzzing in my head all day, possibly a preminition of sorts, and I just can't get it out of my mind that they might be involved", Druid said.

"Do you think it's something we should investigate", the Widow asked, a frown on her face.

"Not at the moment", Druid said. "I'll try to contact the Collins first and then proceed accordingly."

"Very well", the Widow said, "but if they need our help, notify me as soon as possible. They're good friends and allies and if we can be there for them, I want us to be."

"Of course", Druid said as he stood up. "I'll be in the study if you need me."

The Widow watched as Druid walked off.

"I guess I should go see if I can contact Cap", she thought to herself.

And with purpose in her stride, the Widow walked off towards her office.

**

Snowman, Sharon Ventura and The Gargoyle were in the Dungeon.

"And this is where we train", Issac said as they entered the room. "We call it the Dungeon!"

"Impressive", Snowman said.

"Wait until you've ran a few drills with Hercules", Sharon laughed. "You'll have other names for it then,"

"Speaking of names, we really do need to do something about that 'Snowman' name of yours", Issac snickered.

"So says someone named the Gargoyle", Snowman smiled.

"Ouch", Issac winced.

"But I do agree with you", Snowman said.

"Any ideas yet", Sharon asked.

"Well, since my powers are based on ice and cold control, I was thinking maybe Blizzard or Icicle", Snowman said.

"Both of those names are currently being used", Sharon said.

"By villians, no less", Issac added.

"So any suggestions", Snowman asked.

"How about Frosty", Issac joked.

"Hmmm!", thought Snowman with a grin. "I meant any good suggestions!"

"Ouch... again!", Issac winced.

"How about Kori, which is the Japanese word for ice", Sharon suggested.

"Kori", Snowman said. "I like it!"

"It fits you and is definitely far better than Snowman", Issac said.

"OK, Gargoyle", Kori smiled.

"Am I going to have to seperate you two", Sharon laughed. "So you want to give the dungeon a try?"

"Do I have to?", Kori asked.

"Come on", Sharon said. "We can work out a simple routine with some killer robots!"

"Sounds enticing", Kori admitted.

"You ladies get ready", Issac said. "I'll go up to the control room and run the session."

"Great", Sharon laughed.

"I'm not sure...", Kori sighed.

"Better with us than waiting for the Widow or Dane to put you through a drill", Issac said. "We're both new enough to have a little mercy. Those two are slave-drivers!"

"They're not that bad", Sharon admitted. "But this is a great way to develop your powers and learn different battle techniques."

"Far better to learn here than in an actual battle where it could be cause injuries or worse", Issac added.

"OK, you've convinced me", Kori sighed. "Bring it on, Mr. Gargoyle!"

"Let's go get ready", Sharon laughed.

"And I'll be in the control room, ready to bring it on", Issac laughed.

*Is it too late to back out", Kori asked.

"Famous last words", Sharon smiled.

"Ready", Issac said from the control room.

"Let's do it!", Sharon said.

"Aauugh!", Kori sighed loudly.

**

At Collinwood, everyone gathered around an old table. Placed in the center of the table was the necklace belonging to Dr. Julia Hoffman, as well as her journals.

"We can use these items to form a link to Dr. Hoffman's spirit", Agatha Harkness explained. "Between that link, as well as her unquestionable love for Barnabas Collins, we should be able to contact the Doctor."

"I'm not sure about this", Barnabas said.

"It's the best way to discover why Julia's spirit is so restless", Quentin commented.

"I understand that", Barnabas replied, "but something feels wrong."

"I understand your misgivings", Agatha Harkness said, placing a hand on his shoulder, "but we have to do something."

"This one senses your pain", Mantis commented as she gave the grim vampire a hug. "You truly did... do love this Julia Hoffman."

"Only three women have ever truly laid claim to my heart", Barnabas said quietly. "Josette Collins, Victoria Winters and Julia Hoffman."

"And Julia would have done anything for you", Wanda, aka The Scarlet Witch, interjected. "Shouldn't we do the same for her?"

"What do you say, Cousin?", Quentin asked.

"Let's get on with it", Barnabas said quietly. "I do owe Julia and we must try to help her."

"Excellent", Agatha Harkness replied. "Now, everyone take their seats and link hands."

"Are you joining us, Willie?", Quentin asked as he glanced at the nervous man standing by the doorway.

"No sir, Quentin", Willie said. "These magical things make me all queasy and sick and stuff. Besides, Miss Wanda told me to just watch. That way, I can get help if anything goes wrong."

"Are we expecting anything to go wrong?", Jacques asked.

"No", Wanda replied. "I'm just being careful. I've given Willie means to contact Dr. Strange, as well as the other Avengers, just in case, but hopefully that won't be necessary."

"Let us hope not", Barnabas agreed.

"Now, shall we proceed", Agatha Harkness said once more. "Let's all link hands and focus on the necklace... focus and think of Dr. Julia Hoffman. No matter what occurs, do not break panic and do not release the hands you hold."

"We're ready", Quentin said.

Nods came from the rest of the group and Agatha began to concentrate and focus the magic energies she controlled, putting all of her strength and effort into summoning the spirit of Dr. Julia Hoffman. As the group concentrated, the room began to fill with energy and got very warm. And a putrid smell, like that of raw eggs and sewage filled the air.

"Ignore the smell. Concentrate on Julia Hoffman", Agatha told the group.

And in the center of the table, a small glow seemed to get larger and larger. A face was starting to appear in the midst of the glow... red hair, a hardened, yet attractive face..

"Julia", Barnabas gasped.

And the face stayed silent, but a small smile appeared on the lips... a smile that grew larger as the face became clearer and clearer. But it wasn't the face of Dr. Julia Hoffman. It was a cruel and evil face, red eyed and sneering. It was the face of evil.

And with a loud pop and a big flash of light, the entire group, that only seconds before had been attempting to summon the spirit of Dr. Hoffman... was gone.

"Oh my God!", Willie Loomis yelled. "What in the.. where did everyone go? Those people that Miss Wanda told me to contact. I've gotta call 'em! I've gotta get help!"

And Willie ran to the phone and fumbling with it, dropped it to the floor. Quickly, he pulled himself together.

"Gotta keep it together. Barnabas and Quentin are depending on me", he said to himself as he once more picked up the phone and began to dial the numbers that The Scarlet Witch had given him.

"Answer the phone", Willie muttered as the phone began to ring.

"Avenger's Mansion! This is Peggy Carter. How may I help you?", a voice answered on the other end of the line.

"This is Willie Loomis. Miss Wanda... the Scarlet Witch, told me to call this number if anything happens. It's bad... it's real bad!"

"Willie Loomis? As in Barnabas and Quentin Collins? Hold on! I'm connecting you to Captain America!"

A click on the phone line and a strong voice called out,"Willie, this is Captain America. Tell me everything that's happened."

After explaining what had happened and how everyone had just vanished, Willie sighed in relief as Captain America quickly informed him that the Avengers were on their way to Collinwood would be there shortly. After hanging up the phone, Willie decided to walk outside and just wait for Captain America and the rest of the Avengers. As he was opening the door, he heard the phone ring.

"I'd better answer that", Willie said. "It might be Captain America calling back."

Willie picked up the phone.

"Hello!"

"This is Dr. Druid calling from Europe. Is everything there all right?"

Quickly, Willie explained everything that was happening and how Barnabas, Quentin and the others had vanished. Dr. Druid listened intently on the other end of the line before speaking.

"Listen closely, Willie", he said. "Do not do anything else. When Captain America and the others arrive, tell them that myself and the others from Europe are on the way and will be there as quickly as possible and to wait for us. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir", Willie said. "I'll tell 'em."

"Good", Druid said. "We'll be there as soon as we can."

Druid hung up the phone and reached for him communicard, calling the team leader, the Black Widow. Druid explained what he had just learned and the Widow quickly agreed to summon the team and they would head for Collinwood immediately. After concluding his conversation with the Widow, Druid used his communicard to call Issac Christians, aka The Gargoyle.

"Issac, this is Druid", he said. "Do you think we can contact your friend, Miss Sefton, for one more favor. We need to get to the States and Collinwood as quickly as possible. It's very urgent!"

"I'll call her now", Issac replied.

"Excellent!", Druid said. "After you do that, bring Sharon and Snowman..."

"Kori", Issac interrupted.

"Excuse me", Druid said.

"Snowman... Marti... will be using the name Kori from now on", Issac said.

"Kori? The japanese word for ice. Very appropiate and far better than Snowman", Druid remarked. "Anyway, bring Sharon and Kori with you and meet us at the Quinjets. The Widow is summoning the others."

"Will do", Issac replied. "Gargoyle out!"

"I just hope that we can get there in time", Druid thought as he put his communicard up.

With a heavy sigh, Druid took off and headed towards the Quinjets.

No comments:

Post a Comment