Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 30

Several hours later, the Avengers, fresh from their mission in Wakanda, arrived back at their castle.

"Are you sure that you won't be staying around, Sersi?", the Widow asked.

"No", Sersi replied. "It was fun avenging again, but I have responsibilites in Olympia that I have to tend to and I need to get back."

"What's that?", the Black Knight commented as he approached the two ladies. "Sersi... being responsible?"

"I've changed quite a bit since our time together, Dane", Sersi smiled. "I have the Avengers... and you to thank for that."

"I think I'll excuse myself now", the Widow said. "Thank you again, Sersi... for everything!"

"My pleasure, Natasha", Sersi replied.

The Black Knight and Sersi watched as the Widow exited the area.

"It was really good to see you again, Sers", the Knight said. "I've missed you."

"And I've missed you, Dane", Sersi replied. "But it's how things have to be."

"Yeah, but I don't have to like it", the Knight said.

"Nor do I", Sersi replied. "But we agreed that it was best for us both to move on. It was the right decision."

"Still friends though, right?", Dane asked.

"Always... and more", Sersi smiled. "Know that you will always have my heart, Dane Whitman."

Sersi leaned over and gave Dane a gentle kiss.

"Until the next time", she smiled and with that, Sersi flew off into the sky, headed back to Olympia.

"Bye Sers", Dane said quietly. "I love you!"

**

"So you're headed out too, Hank?", Sharon Ventura asked Hank Pym as she watched him packing his bags in his room.

"Yeah", Hank replied. "It's time for me to head back to the Whackos."'

"You'll be missed", Sharon replied.

"I'll be coming by on a regular basis to provide serum for Barnabas", Hank said. "And if you folks really need me, I'll be just a call away. But you've got a great team here."

"True", Sharon said. "Even though I'm not officially a member yet."

"That's just a matter of time", Hank replied. "We haven't had much time for meetings and voting. Dane hasn't officially rejoined the team yet either, and Druid is still listed on reserve status."

"I understand that", Sharon agreed. "I think it's just that I don't like change."

"That's a big part of a team like the Avengers. People come and go", Pym replied. "The sum of the parts may change, but the machine remains strong."

"I just hope that I can find my role, my place among the team", Sharon smiled quietly.

"You already have, Sharon", Pym answered. "Welcome to the Avengers!"

Pym leaned over and gave Sharon a hug.

"Thank you, Hank!... Thank you!", Sharon replied as she quickly wiped a tear from her eye and smiled.

"And now", Pym replied, quickly moving away. "I need to get moving. I told Hawkeye that I'd be back in New York by late tonight and back at the Whacko compound within the next couple of days."

"Come on", Sharon smiled. "I'll walk you to the Quinjet."

As Hank and Sharon left the room, they encountered the Vision.

"I was coming to get you, Dr. Pym", the Vision replied. "If you have no objections, I'll be accompanying you back to New York."

"That's great, Vision, but why?", Hank asked.

"I have spoken to the Widow and have decided to return to New York and the East Coast team", the Vision answered.

"See what I was saying about coming and going", Hank smiled at Sharon.

"So you're leaving us too?", Sharon asked the Vision.

"Yes", the Vision said. "I came to add some stability to this group and some necessary strength. But with the recent additions of yourself and Dane Whitman, as well as the return of Dr. Druid, my presence is not needed."

"We were just headed towards the Quinjets", Hank said.

"Very well", the Vision replied. If you don't mind, I'll accompany you."

"The more the merrier", Sharon smiled as she took both Vision and Hank Pym by the arms. "Let's go!"

**

Several hours passed. The Vision and Dr. Pym had left to head back to New York. Barnabas Collins had also said his farewells and left to return to his flat in London. The remaining heroes had gathered together for an official debriefing and meeting in their assembly room.

"So you would rather remain on a reserve status for now, Doctor?", the Widow said to Dr. Druid who had just noted his preference to remain on reserve status rather than become an active member."

"Yes", said Dr. Druid. "Although I'd like to stay here at the castle and help when needed, I would prefer, for the time being, to devote myself primarily to research and perhaps perhaps providing medical services when needed."

"Sounds fine", the Widow said. "And I think we have two more matters of order before calling it a day. I'd like to propose that Sharon Ventura, also known as Ms. Marvel, and Dane Whitman, also known as The Black Knight, be formally voted to active Avenger status."

"Absolutely", Spitfire agreed. "I second the nominations and vote yes to both as well!"

"As does the son of Zeus", Hercules said. "It is long overdue to have the good strong arm of the Black Knight and the courage of thy fair lady, Sharon, as part of the team. The Scion of Olympus votes yay to both nominations."

"Heck yeah", Issac agreed. "Sharon is one scrappy lady and Dane is a legend in the team's history. Vote 'em both in."

"I agree as well", Union Jack said.

"And I vote yes to both as well", the Widow said.

"As a reservist, I have no official vote, but I strongly agree that both would be strong assets to the team", Dr. Druid spoke up.

"So Sharon and Dane, if you want it, welcome to the Avengers", the Widow said.

"Yes... and thank you to everyone", Dane Whitman replied. "It's great to be officially back with the team."

"And... well, thanks! I'll do my best to make you all proud", Sharon Ventura replied.

"Excellent", the Widow said. "I'll take care of the official paperwork immediately. And welcome!"

The Widow gave both Dane and Sharon hugs.

"And this meeting is adjourned", she smiled.

**

Back in Collinsport, Mantis and Quentin are walking back to the old house after having dinner with the Collins family at Collinwood.

"It was nice of your family to have this one and her son to dinner", Mantis smiled as she and Quentin walked.

"You're my guests and Elizabeth was wanting to meet you", Quentin said.

"Everyone was very nice and the dinner was quite delicious", Mantis agreed. "I had a wonderful time."

"I'm just glad that Jacques decided to ride back with Willie so we could have this walk alone", Quentin replied.

"You've spoken to Iceman about Xaiver's school?", Mantis asked.

"I did talk to Bobby and he informed me that although they do still have some students at the X-Man headquarters in Weschester, the majority of students go to the Xaiver school in Snow Valley, that's run by a woman named Emma Frost and the former X-Man, Banshee."

"Snow Valley? Where exactly is that?", Mantis asked.

"It's somewhat secluded and roughly about three hours from here", Quentin replied. "I also spoke briefly to Charles Xaiver himself and he's very interested in meeting Jacques."

"This one is hesitant about this", Mantis said sadly, "but this one feels that my son would benefit greatly from more interaction with persons of his own age and with a more normal living enviroment than what this one has been able to provide thus far."

"Well, why don't we just ride up there and meet with Xaiver and you can decide after that", Quentin suggested. "Have you told Jacques about all of this yet?"

"Of course", Mantis replied. "He wants to stay close to me, but he also understands that he needs to experience more of humanity and a normal life. We are agreed on this."

"Just take your time and make your decision wisely", Quentin said. "We can ride up to Xaiver's this weekend and check out the school. And if you like it, fine. And if not, you and Jacques are welcome to stay here for as long as you'd like."

"This one thanks you for your kindness", Mantis smiled.

And then Mantis grabbed her head.

"Uuugh!", Mantis sighed.

"Mantis, what is it?", Quentin asked as he quickly caught Mantis before she could fall.

"This one is feeling a strong sense of sadness and despair. I felt it earlier and it's back", Mantis replied.

"Do you know what it is? Can you track it?", Quentin asked.

"This one did that earlier", Mantis answered. "Quentin, I need you to tell me everything you can about Dr. Julia Hoffman."

"Julia", Quentin asked. "This concerns her? But she's dead... I don't understand!"

"Nor do I", Mantis replied. "But this one knows that the pain, the hurt I feel, comes from her. I just know it!"

"What do you need to know?", Quentin asked.

"Everything", Mantis answered. "It's a cry for help."

"Let's go back to the old house", Quentin said grimly. "It's going to be a long night!"

**

Dr. Druid's Personal Journal:

"It's been a few days since we returned to the castle from our final encounter with Bloodscream. Though we managed to defeat him and exile him once more, it was a very costly encounter to both the team and to me personally. Upon our return to our headquarters, both Dr. Pym and The Vision have decided to travel back to the States and the other teams (Pym to the West Coast, Vision to New York). Though neither departure was unexpected, it still puts a large hole in our team in terms of power. Sharon Ventura, a former member of the Fantastic Four, has been added to the team, as has Dane Whitman, the Black Knight. The Knight is an experienced member who has a long history with the team and his experience is extremely welcome at this time. As for Ms. Ventura, she is still somewhat of an unknown factor. She has power, to be sure and is a very intelligent young lady. But periods of instability rocked her stay with the Fantastic Four and may still be a factor. As both a fellow Avenger and as a psychologist, I must be ready to lend my aid to her if she appears to need it.

Natasha, aka The Black Widow, has done an excellent job of managing this team, far better in my opinion than her earlier attempt at leadership a few years ago. Of course, considering how my own brief term as Chairperson of the team worked out, how can I dare to judge anyone.

Aside from The Widow, The Black Knight and Ms. Ventura, the rest of the current active roster for this team are the man-god, Hercules, the British super-speedster, Lady Jacquiline Falsworth Crichton, Union Jack and Issac Christians, also known as the Gargoyle. Hercules is another long time member of the team and although he is often quick to act before thinking, his strength and knowledge of the arts of battle have long served this team well.

Lady Crichton is more of a part time member than anything else, but I wouldn't be the one to say that to her. She divides her time between her roles as a member of the House of Lords and a member of upper-class British society. She also runs a multi-national corporation, Falsworth Industries. Having been an active super-heroine since World War II, where she was a member of the Invaders, she's very knowledgable and experienced and quite an asset to the team, no matter how rarely she's actually available to participate in missions.

Union Jack, in my opinion, is currently another unknown quantity for our group. He has no super powers to speak of, but is quite the athlete and fighter. He is the United Kingdom's equivilent to Captain America, although he's not nearly experienced as the Captain. As he grows more confident and secure in his place on this team, his value as a part of this team will increase. I've noticed that there is some sort of bond between he and Spitfire. Rumors have it that they once had a relationship, but that's not my business. Regardless, both of our native-born Brit's are valuable members of the team and we're fortunate to have them.

Issac Christians, the Gargoyle, is a fascinating man. Despite everything he's encountered in his life, he's probably the most grounded and 'real' person I've ever met. His time among the Defenders served him well in that he's not easy to throw off. He's a smart and sensible man with much experience. He's not a hero because he has the powers and body of a gargoyle... He's a hero just because that's who he is.

And then there's our ally and associate, the vampire Barnabas Collins. It's hard to imagine that a person so cursed can be such a noble soul. With his vampiric abilities and knowledge of the European dark world, he's a truly valuable ally to the Avengers' cause. And since Dr. Pym has been able to provide Barnabas with a chemical solution that not only controls the lust and need for blood that all vampires endure, but also allows him to survive the once fatal rays of the sun and venture forth in the daylight, he is more powerful and capable than ever. Barnabas chooses not to officially be a part of the team and that's for the best, since he seems to prefer a low profile life and to work from the shadows. It would also be extremely damaging to the reputation of our team to have a true vampire as a member, especially here in Europe where the legends and stories of vampires are still fresh and strong. He may not be an actual Avenger, but Barnabas is a true man of honor and I'm proud and feel honored that he has chosen to aid us in our quests to keep the world safe and deliver justice.

As for myself, my powers of telepathy, illusions and ritualistic magic are as strong as ever. My confidence is not though. Though my mind and intelligence realize that the emergence of Bloodscream was not technically my fault, it still happened and I was responsible. And the deaths of so many innocents is on my conscience. Maybe if I had been more careful? I just don't know. We (the Avengers) have taken care of the menace of Bloodscream. But I still have a long ways to go before I take care of the agony and pain in my soul and heart."

**

"Yes Steve, I understand", the Widow said as she spoke into her video moniter in the communications center.

"I don't like this either, Natasha", the man on the screen, Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, said grimly.

"But if the United Nations is demanding a personal review of our teams, we have no choice but to cooperate", the Widow said.

"I think we should tell them to stuff their charter up their collective butts", a third voice rang out.

"No, you don't, Hawkeye", Captain America said, chastising the man on the third screen during this video conference between the three Avenger's chairpersons.

"After all Clint, we need our charter to maintain our effectiveness", the Widow added.

"I know! I know", Hawkeye scowled. "But we have enough to do without worrying about some U.N. snot coming and nosing around, getting in our way."

"Do you have any idea who the U.N. representatives will be, Steve?", the Widow asked, ignoring Hawkeye's comments.

"Not yet", Captain America answered. "Our liason from the U.N. is supposed to contact me later tonight and let me know the details."

"So what exactly are we supposed to do with the stuffed shirt weenies", Hawkeye asked.

"I suspect that they'll want a tour of the facilities, interviews with the members of the team and a chance to go over mission reports", Cap replied. "So make sure your paperwork is up to date."

"I just hope we don't have any alien invasions or killer robot attacks while the pinheads are visiting", Hawkeye quipped. "Although that might make things more interesting."

"Just mind your manners... Hawkeye!", Cap smiled. "And I doubt we'll have any problems."

"Sounds like famous last words to me", the Widow smiled.

"Not you too, Natasha", Cap smiled.

"Don't worry, Cap. We'll be ready!", the Widow said.

"And I'll have the Whackos in top form too", Hawkeye interjected. "We'll show the political big snots what being Avengers are all about."

"I have no doubt about either of you or any of the teams. I just wanted to give you the heads up.", Cap replied.

"I'll even have Simon and Iron Man polish the ceiling if you'd like", Hawkeye joked.

"Sorry to cut this short", Cap cut in, "but Jarvis has just informed me that I've got an appointment in ten minutes."

"Don't let us keep you", Hawkeye said. "I've got a training session scheduled with Bobbi in a few minutes myself."

"Then you gentlemen get on to your appointments", the Widow said. "And I'll talk to you later."

"I'll contact you when I know more about who will be coming from the U.N. and when to expect them", Cap said.

"Fine", the Widow said. "Have fun with your appointment, Steve. And Clint, tell Bobbi hello for me."

"Will do", Hawkeye replied. "Later Capster! I'll call you later!"

And with that, Hawkeye signed off and his screen went blank.

"Until later, Steve", the Widow said with a smile as she clicked off her moniter.

"So long, Widow.", Cap said and his screen too, went blank.

"Visitors from the United Nations", the Widow thought to herself. "I'd best inform the troops that we'll be having guests."

No comments:

Post a Comment