Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 29

Several hours later, the Avengers have regrouped.

"So how did it go with the Hydra faction, Dane?", the Widow asked.

"Very smoothly and quickly", the Knight replied. "There were several dozen Hydra operatives running a drug distribution operation, but between the Scotland Yard Special Ops and our team, we took them down with no casualities and little fuss."

"Excellent", the Widow replied. "Good work team! As for the rest of you, any progress to report?"

"Well, Barnabas and I were discussing it and had an idea that it might help to look for mystical power-points, located among the ley lines", Druid said.

"That makes sense since ley lines are the primary source that all mystics require to support and draw power from", Issac added.

"Our theory is that wherever Bloodscream has vanished to and headquartered himself, he'll want to be near sources of power that he can exploit", Barnabas said.

"And if you've got the locations of the most prominent mystical points of power", the Vision said, "we can cross reference them with the scans provided to us by T'Challa and the new scans that Dr. Pym has taken."

"So all of this, thrown together, should show us where to look for this Bloodscream?", Spitfire asked.

"Partially", Druid continued to explain. "Then cross reference it with locations where there have been numerous unexplained or especially vicious deaths."

"And one more set of cross-referencng, with locations of strong points of evil that are mentioned in the ancient stories that Angelique mentioned in her diaries and Issac has in his journal", Barnabas said.

"That's a lot of cross-referencing", Sharon said. "Do you really think it will give us a location to find Bloodscream?"

"Let's hope so", the Widow said. "We've got to find this guy. What about the artifact that you found, Druid. Have you figured out how to open it?"

"I believe so", Druid replied. "My originally translating the encryption is what invariably opened it in the first place, freeing Bloodscream from his prison. It's not difficult to open again. The only trick will be getting Bloodscream back inside once more."

"So what it boils down to", the Knight said, "is that we find him, open the artifact, get him inside and close it back up."

"That's all we have to do", Barnabas said grimly.

"But until we find him, the rest is but naught", Hercules said unhappily.

"We will find him... and defeat him", the Widow said. "It's not a question if if, but only when."

**

Meanwhile, in the "old house" of Collinwood, in Collinsport, Maine, the werewolf known as Quentin Collins is talking to the caretaker of the old house, the man-servant, WIllie Loomis.

"I believe that Barnabas will be returning for the holidays, Willie", Quentin told the wirey young man.

"I hope so, Quentin", Willie said. "This place is so quiet when he's over in England. I'm just glad that you decided to stay here for your visit."

"I'm glad too, Willie", Quentin said. "I'm welcome at the main house, but I'm far more comfortable over here. I just don't want to be a burden or bother to you."

"No sir, Quentin. I'm glad to have you here", Willie said. "Auntie and the others at the big house always make me feel welcome, but I'd rather be here. Since I started working with Barnabas, this is my home. Gets mighty lonely though and far too quiet."

"You know, Willie... I've always wondered about something. How come there isn't a special woman in your life... a Mrs. Loomis?", Quentin asked.

"Just never really had the time or thought about it", Willie said. "And with Barnabas' situation, I couldn't really bring any girls around here. It wasn't safe."

"Well, as I've told you, that's no longer the case. Barnabas is now able to live as you and I do and his curse, while not defeated, is quite under control. Plus, he's chosen to remain in England for a while now. No man should be alone and you need to start looking out for yourself a bit", Quentin commented.

"I know", Willie agreed. "But what kind of decent girl would want a guy like me?"

"Don't put yourself down, Willie", Quentin said. "There's someone out there for everyone and you'll find the right girl for you."

"I hope so", Willie said. "Uh... Quentin... what's that?"

Qunetin and Willie turned to watch as a large ball of light drifted and around and gently landed on the ground in front of the old house.

"Greetings, Quentin Collins", a voice rang out. "This one has returned."

And there stood the Celestial Madonna, Mantis and her teenage son, the youngster known as Jacques.

"Mantis", Quentin exclaimed... "and Jacques too. It's great to see you two again."

"And you as well, Quentin", Mantis smiled.

"Hey dude", Jacques said.

"Mister Quentin...", Willie stuttered nervously..."That lady and that boy just appeared out of that ball of light. What's going on?"

"Oh, my apologies Willie", Quentin smiled. "Let me introduce you. Willie, this is the Avenger known as Mantis.. and the young man is her son, Jacques. Mantis and Jacques, this is Willie."

"The Avenger... a real super hero", Willie exclaimed. "It's an honor, ma'am."

"So what's going on", Quentin asked as he welcomed his two friends and invited them into the house while Willie rushed off to get refreshments for everyone.

"This one decided it was time to return to the planet of her birth and allow my son some more time to learn about his human heritage.", Mantis said.

"So why here and not back at the Castle with the team", Quentin asked.

"We will return to the group in time", Mantis replied. "But for now, I'd prefer to have Jacques in a more sedate and normal enviroment."

"So what are your plans?", Quentin asked.

"Rent an apartment or small home and live quietly for a while", Mantis answered. "Most likely out in the mid-west."

"I have an idea", Quentin replied. "Why not stay here for a while as my guests? We have plenty of room and it's relatively quiet, but it's not far to the bigger cities."

"I'm not sure", Mantis said. "It would be an imposition to you and your family."

"My family is very used to having guests and no one would mind. And Willie and I were just talking about how lonely and quiet this big old house can be at time. Having you and Jacques here would certainly help liven things up a bit", Quentin smiled.

"Very well", Mantis replied. "We will accept your gracious offer."

"Excellent", Quentin said. "Hey Willie, we're going to have some house guests for while."

"Great", Willie said. "I'll go fix some rooms up immediately. If you need anything, Miss Mantis and Mr. Jacques, just let me know."

"Thank you, Willie", Mantis smiled. "This one knows that she will greatly enjoy her visit here."

"We're staying here", Jacques smiled. "Cool!"

"Oh yeah", Quentin laughed. "This is going to be fun."

**

Back at the Castle HQ of the Avengers International group...

The Black Widow is sitting in her office, talking via video-moniter to her New York counterpart, the Chairman of the Avengers, Captain America.

"So we haven't been able to track Bloodscream yet, but everyone is working and giving 100%", the Widow said.

"If you'd like, I can send some back-up to help out", Captain America replied. "I read the reports on Bloodscream, from both you and T'Challa and I agree that finding him has to be a high priority."

"If he makes any kind of move, we'll find him", the Widow said. "Between Hank, Druid and the Vision, I don't think we'll need any additional help."

"Well, if you do, do not hesitate to call", the Captain replied.

"I will Steve, I will", the Widow answered.

"Aside from that, how have things been going with the team. I've read your reports and have been very impressed", Captain America said.

"I believe we've gelled very well as a team", the Widow smiled. "We have a good mixture of veteran Avengers like myself, Dane, Hercules, Hank and Vision and mixed with Sharon, Issac, Spitfire and Union Jack... it's an extremely formidable team."

"Well, Jacqueline is no novice", Captain America smiled. "She's been around since WWII and was one of the Invaders along with myself and Namor."

"Nor are Issac or even Sharon", the Widow added. "Issac's years with the Defenders and Sharon's brief stint with the Fantastic Four serve them well."

"How about Union Jack?", Cap asked.

"He's coming along. I don't think he's comfortable in a group enviroment and still seems to be trying to find his place, but he's a formidable young man and, given a little more time, he'll be a fine Avenger", the Widow answered.

"Is Druid back with the team too?", Cap inquired. "Or is he just staying around for the duration of this mission?"

"I'm not sure", the Widow said. He hasn't said and I haven't asked. But if Hank goes back to the West Coast team, as he's planning to do, Druid's presence here would be welcome."

"True", Cap agreed. "And it seems to be good for him. The last few times we spoke, he seems to be more spirited and not quite as high strung."

"Druid is a complicated man", the Widow said. "And I've noticed that as well. I'm glad to have him here."

"Well, I'll let you get back to your search for Bloodscream", Cap smiled. "I just noticed the time and I have to get ready for a date with Rachel. She'll kill me if I'm late... again."

"Give Diamondback my best, Cap", the Widow said. "And I'll talk to you later. Have fun, Steve."

"I will. Good luck and if you need anything, just call. Cap out!", Cap said and the video screen went blank.

As she concluded her call, the Widow clicked off the computer moniter and sat back in her chair, lost in her thoughts.

***

Another day passed with no luck in finding the entity known as Bloodscream.

In the kitchen of Avengers Castle, the Black Knight talks to Hank Pym and Dr. Druid.

"So far, we've had absolutely no luck in tracking down Bloodscream. I don't like it", the Knight said as he took a bite of his bagel.

"Nor do I", Druid said. "It's not concievable that he should be able to remain hidden for this long. There should be some sign of him somewhere."

"But we've tried every means available, scientific and magical", Hank mentioned. "And it's not working. He's laying low and intentionally staying off the radar."

"But given his history and the legends around him, it just doesn't make sense", Druid said. "I'm glad there hasn't been any mass slaughters or anything, but until he shows his hand, we can't track and defeat him."

"I know it's frustrating", the Knight agreed. "But what can we do that we haven't already tried?"

"All we can do it keep looking and hope for the best", Pym said. "The other teams are searching too."

"Speaking of which, you're due to head back to L.A. tomorrow, aren't you, Hank?", the Knight asked.

"Yes", Hank Pym answered. "I've got several projects on hold there that need to be tended to, plus I think Hawkeye is scared that I'm going to leave the Whackos and join this team for good."

"You have spent quite a bit of time with this team since it's inception", Druid commented.

"You should go ahead and make it official. Transfer over to the new A-team", Dane quipped.

"I've already had this discussion with Natasha", Pym laughed. "I enjoy visiting over here, but the European lifestyle just isn't for me. You guys don't need me, especialy if Druid is going to stay for a while."

"That has yet to be determined", Druid said quietly.

"Regardless, this team is first rate, but I'm more of a States type of guy", Pym remarked.

"Whatever you decide to do, even if you do go back to the West Coast team", the Knight said, "you'll always have a place on this team too!"

"So where is everyone this morning", Druid asked. "I somewhat expected to see more people milling about the castle than I have thus far."

"I'm not sure", the Knight said. "Spitfire and Union Jack are both at their homes, I believe. And the Vision is in the Dungeon installing some new training programs."

"Issac is out jogging, if you can believe that", Hank Pym laughed.

"Jogging?", the Knight asked. "Why would a ninety year old man with the body of a Gargoyle be out jogging?"

"I think he is accompanying Miss Ventura", a voice echoed through the room as the Vision entered the room, materializing up through the floor.

"Vision, good morning", the Knight said. "Taking a break, I see."

"I've finished installing the new systems in the Dungeon", the Vision said.

"So Issac and Sharon?", Pym asked.

"They've become quite good friends recently", the Vision said.

"It makes sense", Druid said. "With their histories and the transformations they've both endured, there is a strong common bond there."

"So that's most of the time accounted for", the Knight said, changing the subject. "What about Hercules and the Widow?"

"Hercules is in his room", the Vision said. "As for Natasha, she only said that she was going out. I can call her if you'd like."

"Nope", Dr. Pym said. "We were just wondering. Let her have some personal time. She deserves it."

**

The Black Widow smiled as she felt the rush of cold against her face as she moved quickly from rooftop to rooftop as she patrolled the back streets of London.

"Now this is the life". she thought to herself as she cast her widow's line out and propelled herself through the air. "Being a superhero is all well and good, but this is the time I feel most alive. Far better than staying cooped up in that castle."

Suddenly, a loud scream of pain rang out and echoed through the air.

"Sounds like trouble", the Widow thought to herself. "I'd better check it out!"

Following the sounds, the Widow moved quickly and soon found herself looking down on a trecherous scene. Six bruising thugs had surrounded a young couple and were threatening them.

"Please....", the girl said through tears... "leave us alone."

"I'll give you our money", the guy said, pulling his female aquaintance closer to him. "We don't want any trouble."

"We'll take your money", one of the bruisers laughed... "and then maybe your girlfriend.... she can make nice with us..."

"What? You can't mean... no!", the girl cried out.

"No", the guy yelled out. "I won't let you...."

The Widow, observing the situation, thought to herself, "I've heard enough!"

And with movements too fast to follow, she quickly dropped from the rooftop and, before the bruisers realized what was happening, had already dropped two of them to the ground with her patented Widow's sting.

"What the...?", one of the thugs excalimed as the Widow came to a stop in between them and the young couple.

"I would suggest you leave now while you are still able", the Widow said coldly, staring down the remaining hoodlums.

"It's some crazy bird", one the other guys said, pulling out a large knife. "Get her!"

As one, the four thugs that were still standing charged the slim heroine. And within a matter of seconds, they were all laying on the ground, in varying states of conciousness.

After disposing of the last thug with a martial arts blow to the solar plexus, the Widow turned to the young couple who were standing there, frozen in fear and watching.

"Are the two of you all right?", the Widow asked.

"We're fine", the young girl answered. "They just caught us by surprise and they were... they were going to..."

She started crying and turned into her friend's arms.

"Thank you!", the guy said as he consoled his girlfriend.

"Let's get the authorities here to pick these punks up", the Widow said... "and you're welcome!"

Within a short period of time, the authorities had been summoned and the young couple were receiving medical treatment.

"Thank ya, Miss Widow", one of the officers was saying to the Widow as she filled out a police report for them. "We've been after these thugs for a while, but they kept slipping away."

"Not a problem", the Widow replied. "That's why we... the Avengers, are here... to help!"

"Well, having you here has helped. Crime rates are down since you guys decided to locate a team here in London. Having so many super-dupers in the area makes the bad guys nervous. Makes our job a lot easier", the officer continued to ramble.

"Excuse me", the Widow said, cutting the officer off as she handed him back his clipboard with her statement. "I've got to get back to the castle. If any more information is needed, contact me through the Avengers."

"Yeah, sure", the officer sighed. "Will do, Widow...and thanks again!"

But the Widow was already in the air, being propelled by her Widow's line and lost in thought again as she headed back towards the Avenger's headquarters.

"I probably shouldn't have been so curt with that officer, but his rambling was giving me a headache", the Widow sighed to herself. "I'll apologize later though. Right now, we need to find Bloodscream... and I think I have an idea how."

**

Upon reaching the castle, the Black Widow's first actions was asking Dr. Druid to meet her.

"I've been thinking", the Widow said. "And I think I know how we can find Bloodscream."

"We've been trying everything", Druid said, "both mystically and scientifically, to track down his whereabouts."

"And none of it has worked yet", the Widow said. "So we need to try something else. Do you still have the artifact that Bloodscream was originally imprisoned in?"

"RIght here, dear lady", Druid answered. "Why?"

"Because this is the one thing that Bloodscream fears", the Widow said. "It's the one thing that can hold and contain him."

"I think I see where you're coming from", Druid said. "If it's destroyed, he doesn't have to worry about being imprisoned."

"So we've got it. He'll want to get it. I say we put it out there and make it too easy a target for him to resist", the Widow suggested.

"We set up a trap", Druid said. "And instead of us searching for him, we let him come to us."

"Exactly", the Widow said.

"But how do we get the word to him?", Druid asked. "And set the bait?"

"I think you should head back to Wakanda and your archeological site", the Widow said. "Resume your search and let the word get out that you're there."

"He'll suspect a trap", Druid said. "And be looking for the other Avengers."

"So there won't be any other Avengers... not visibly anyhow. I think it's time for a field trip. Let me call the Panther and work out some logistics", the Widow replied.

"Undercover?", Druid asked. "But Bloodscream can detect any illusions and electronic devices... such as image inducers won't fool him."

"So we'll find another way", the Widow said.

"Should I go inform the others that we're taking a field trip, as you put it?", Druid said.

"Just have everyone meet in the Assembly room in thirty minutes", the Widow said. "And we'll work it out from there then."

"Very well", Druid said as he exited the room.

The Widow reached over and picked up the phone.

**

Thirty minutes later, the heroes, accompanied by their associate Barnabas Collins, had gathered in the Assembly room. Union Jack and Spitfire were the last to arrive and took their seats as the Black Widow entered the room.

"Looks like everyone is here. Thank you for all coming on such short notice", the Widow said. "As everyone is aware, we've been trying to track down Bloodscream. Anything to report from anyone on that?"

"So far, I've had no luck in my searches on the computer", the Vision replied.

"Nor have I with my mystical and telepathic scans", Druid responded.

"No luck with the electronic scanners either", the Black Knight answered as Dr. Pym nodded in agreement.

"Well, since we can't find Bloodscream, I suggest that we let him find us", the Widow said.

"Set up a trap?", Barnabas asked.

"Exactly", the Widow said. "We've still got the artifact that Druid discovered and it's the only known object that can imprison him."

"So we use it as bait and lure him out", Sharon said.

"But won't he be suspicious and suspect a trap?", Issac Christians asked.

"He might, but we're going to make it as inviting as possible... so he can't pass it up", the Widow said.

"How so", Hercules asked.

"Well, I think that Druid should return to his archeological dig", the Widow said. "With some extremely non-Avenger help as his aides."

"Which I assume will be us incognito", the Knight said.

"Absolutely", the Widow said. "He'll have one or two Avengers available with him, so it won't look so obvious, but aside from those two, the rest of his associates will be normal, non-heroic persons."

"But won't it be obvious, even in plain clothes, that most of us are not necessarily the average person", Union Jack asked.

"He hasn't met me or Barnabas, so we can probably just be ourselves", Spitfire said, "but based on the report I read, he'd probably recognize the rest of you, even out of uniform."

"So that means image inducers or else maybe Druid's illusion powers", Pym suggested.

"To keep everyone disguised indefinitely would be too much for even my powers", Druid said. "And besides, Bloodscream has shown an ability to see through illusions."

"If that's the case, I doubt that image-inducers would work either", the Vision said.

"So how do we intend to pull this masquarade off", Hercules asked.

"I made a phone call", the Widow said. "And the answer will be here shortly."

"Oh no", Dane sighed. "You don't mean...!"

"Hello lover", a voice came from the doorway. "Have you missed me?"

"Hello, Sersi", the Widow smiled.

"Oh crap", Dane Whitman muttered to himself.

The Eternal and former Avenger, Sersi, entered the room.

"The Widow called and here I am", Sersi smiled. "So what's the plan?"

**

Roughly an hour later, the Avengers, sans Dr. Pym, were in the air in their Quinjet and headed towards Wakanda.

"The Panther will meet us at the site and set up a token security detail, just enough to make it look real. Druid, Issac and Vision will be as themselves and proceed to the site where Druid originally discovered the artifact. A few hours later, the rest of us will come to the site in plain clothes as assistants to help with the dig. The story we've put out, with T'Challa's help, is that Druid has returned to find clues to stopping Bloodscream once and for all. Hopefully, word will get to Bloodscream and he'll decide to make an appearance", the Widow said.

"How are the rest of us going to just blend in", Sharon asked.

"That's where I come in", Sersi answered. "Spitfire and Barnabas can just change to regular clothes and they should be unrecognizable, since Bloodscream never encountered them. As for everyone else, I have the powers to change your appearance and even your scent."

"What? How?", Sharon asked.

"I'm an Eternal, darling", Sersi said.

"Sersi will use her powers to change our images and bodies into totally unrecognizable personas", the Widow said. "And thus, we can enter the scene and hopefully, Bloodscream won't know it's us... until it's too late."

"Tis a sound strategy", Hercules agreed. "But how will we regain our true forms when the time comes to face yon evil demon?"

"I'll give each of you a code-word", Sersi said. "And when you speak that word, the effects of my powers will vanish and you'll be yourself again."

"Sounds good, Sers", the Knight said.

"I agree", Barnabas said. "This plan is indeed a good one."

"I hope so", the Widow said. "I hope so."

**

Collinsport, Maine...

"So your control over the change to a wolf-man still remains?", Mantis asked Quentin Collins as she sipped her drink.

"It does... even on the nights of the full moon", Quentin answered. "Between that portrait that keeps me free from harm and essentially immortal and the mental control of my curse that your son, Jacques, helped me gain, I'm more in control of my life than ever."

"This one is happy to hear that", Mantis replied.

"Speaking of Jacques, where has he gotten off to?", Quentin asked. "I haven't seen him around all day."

"He has gone with Willie Loomis to the village", Mantis replied. "Willie had some errands to run and Jacques asked to accompany him."

"Good to see that he's getting out among people", Quentin said with a smile. "And Willie can be trusted to keep him safe."

"I am worried about him though", Mantis said. "I would like to have Jacques learn to live around normal people and experience life as a normal teenager, but with his powers and background, I fear that might be impossible."

"I can understand that", Quentin said knowingly. "But there might be a solution."

"What kind of solution", Mantis asked. "He is the Celestial Messiah and is half Cotati as well as half human. He has powers beyond the comprehension of most. How can he possibly live as a normal teenager and experience a regular life?"

"How about Xaiver's School?", Quentin asked.

"The X-Men?", Mantis replied. "I'm not wanting Jacques to become one of the X-Men or even a super-hero."

"Well, I remember Bobby Drake... Iceman, telling me that Xaiver's has a full student body and school as well as being the base for the X-Men. They have hundreds of students, a mix of regular kids as well as mutants. And they work to teach these kids how to handle their powers, as well as provide a full education and as close to a normal enviroment as possible", Quentin said.

"That sounds like it has possibilities, but I'm not sure how Jacques would react in an enviroment like that. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I've always kept him somewhat secluded and protected", Mantis answered.

"Tell you what", Quentin said. "Let me call Bobby and find out more about Xaiver's school. If nothing else, it's an idea."

"This one would appreciate that", Mantis replied. "Now, let me ask you about something else, if you don't mind."

"Go ahead", Quentin said. "Shoot!"

"As you know, both this one and her son have the powers of empathy. I have detected a strong sadness that I can't quite identify here at Collinwood. And it comes strongly from the family cementary that you showed me as well."

"I'm not sure what that could be", Quentin replied, "but I have some ideas. Collinwood has a long history, both good and bad. This land has known much tragedy and there are ghosts. My thoughts are that what you're feeling might be an affinity with some of these lost souls."

"It's possible", Mantis replied. "I'm not very experienced in dealing with matters of the supernatural. What concerns me is that if I feel them this strongly, then Phillip must be feeling them as well. His powers are much stronger than mine, though not quite as refined yet."

"And you think that he might be feeling the sadness and despair?", Quentin asked.

"If I am, then I'm sure he is. He hasn't mentioned anything though", Mantis said.

"Maybe we should attempt to trace the source of these feelings you're feeling... if we figure out what or who is causing the strong emotional feelings, then maybe we can do something about it", Quentin suggested.

"Perhaps", Mantis replied. "That is a possibility."

"Well, I'm going to go call Bobby and see what he can tell me about Xaiver's school", Quentin said as he stood up. "What are your plans for the day, Mantis?"

"This one is going to meditate for a while and then go walking. This is a beautiful area and I'd like to see more of it", Mantis replied.

"When are Willie and Jacques due back?", Quentin asked.

"Willie said that they'd only be gone for a few hours... probably around lunch time", Mantis answered.

"Sounds good", Quentin replied. "Maybe we can all go walking and exploring together later this afternoon?"

"This one would like that", Mantis said with a smile.

"Yeah, I would too", Quentin smiled back. "And now, let me go find Bobby's phone number. See you later!"

"Until then", Mantis replied with a smile before she too left the room to go meditate.

**

At the camp site in Wakanda, the Avengers were playing their roles, undercover and waiting for Bloodscream to take the bait.

"Remember to stay in character", Druid told his teammates. "We can not know who might be watching."

"Do not worry about the others", the Vision said. "With Sersi's powers changing their forms and faces, they will not be recognized."

"I'm just glad me and you didn't have to get changed", Issac Christians said with a smile.

"It's logical that Druid would have members of the team, fellow Avengers here to accompany him", the Vision replied. "And since the two of us could hardly pass as normal humans, we were the most obvious choices."

"I just didn't want Miss Sersi messing with my body", Issac said. "It's creepy!"

"It does feel weird", Sharon Ventura replied as she joined the group. "But if it helps us catch Bloodscream, it's worth it."

"Amen to that", Dane Whitman said as he joined them. "I'll be glad to get through with this and get my own face back."

"Why lover?", Sersi said as she also joined the group. "You don't like the face I gave you?"

"It's just weird to look into a mirror and see a stranger staring at me", Dane admitted.

"But we couldn't risk having Bloodscream recognize you, even out of costume", Sharon said.

"I know! I know!", the Knight sighed.

"Where are Natasha, Herc and the others?", Issac asked.

"Natasha is meeting with T'Challa and making sure that we have back-up from T'Challa's forces should Bloodscream show up", the Vision answered. "I believe Hercules is in the cave exploring, along with Mr. Collins and Spitfire."

"They should stay fairly close to base", the Knight said. "If our friend does show up, we need to be able to move fast."

"I agree", Druid said. "I'll contact them telepathically and caution them to stay close."

"Fine", the Knight said. "I'm going to go for a jog around the compound. This waiting makes me restless."

"I'm going to run some scans around the area for energy sources and unusual factors", the Vision replied.

"And I'm ready to play some cards. Anyone up for poker", Issac asked.

"I'm in", Sharon smiled.

"Me too", Sersi replied.

"And count me in as well", Union Jack said as he walked up.

"Hey UJ, I was wondering where you got to", the Knight said.

"Just exploring and checking out the area", Union Jack replied. "I like to know the lay of the land I'm working in."

"Makes sense", Sharon said.

"Everyone stay on your toes and be alert", the Knight said. "See you guys later!"

**

Walking in one of the nearby caves were Spitfire, Hercules and Barnabas Collins.

"So this is your first time to Africa, Barnabas?", Spitfire asked as the three heroes walked in the darkness.

"Yes", Barnabas said. "I've been all across Europe and in America of course, but I never made it down here to the so-called Dark Continent."

"How about you, Hercules?", Spitfire asked.

"The son of Zeus has traveled this land many times", Hercules replied. "In both my journeys as an Avenger and in my own wanderings as well."

"It's a beautiful land", Spitfire said. "I visited South Africa several times in my youth and came here on a mission with the Invaders back in the war, but I haven't had the chance to visit in quite a long time."

"One day, thou ought to visit the gloried lands of Olympus", Hercules boasted. "As beautiful as this land may be, there truly can be no comparison."

"Perhaps one day, we shall get that opportunity", Spitfire smiled.

"But that be for yon other day", Hercules said. "Friend Barnabas, are thou unwell? Thou seem to be pale and mayhaps even a bit flushed."

"I'm fine", Barnabas replied. "Just a bit weakened. I'm assuming it's the strong rays of the African sunlight."

"I thought that Dr. Pym's serum cured you and allowed you to survive in the sunlight", Spitfire said.

"It allows me to venture forth and be in the daylight", Barnabas said, "but direct sunlight, like we have here, of such strong intensity seems to be a bit much."

"Of course, you're used to the London weather, where we rarely experience intense sunshine", Spitfire noted. "It's always rainy or at least overcast."

"Exactly", Barnabas said. "Though I can travel in the daylight with few problems, it's rarely strong or intense. It seems that, even with the serum running through my veins, the intense African sunlight weakens me somewhat."

"Then probably, while we are here, you should keep to the shadows somewhat and avoid the direct rays of the sun as often as possible", Hercules suggested.

"I agree", Spitfire said. "We're only a few hours from nightfall and then, at night, you should be fine. But there is no reason to take any unnecessary risks."

"This Bloodscream is plenty of reason", Barnabas interjected. "But unless it's to do battle with him, I shall be cautious and heed your advice."

"Oops!", Spitfire smiled. "I'm getting a telepathic summons from Druid. He wants us to come home and stay close to the base."

"Very well", Barnabas said quietly. "Let us return. And hopefully, our mission here will soon be over and we can return home."

"Here, here", Spitfire agreed.

**

Back at Avenger's Castle, Dr. Pym was packing up his lab and preparing for his return to the West Coast team, when suddenly an alarm buzzed.

"That's an intruder alarm", Pym thought to himself as he quickly clicked a nearby computer to get more information.

"Unidentified presence located in Sector 9-A", the machine read.

"That's the sub-basement that we use for storage", Pym noted as he responded to the alert. "I'll go check it out and see what's going on."

After alerting the communication system that he was going to invesitgate, Pym quickly headed towards the sub-basement.

Shining his flashlight, Pym moved quickly to the area noted by the alerts and looked around.

"Nothing looks out of place", Pym thought as he moved silently through the darkened halls. "But I'd better run security scanners and double-check with the infrared scanners too, just to be safe."

Pym quickly scanned the area and frowned as his scanners read negative.

"The scanner says that there is nothing here, but something set off that alert", Pym thought to himself as he glanced around the area once more.

After several more scans, plus a physical search, Pym finally notified the system that his search was coming up negative.

"I guess I'd better run a total systems-check", Pym said quietly. "And until the others return, I'll put this sector of the castle on a lockdown."

Pym gave another look around the room.

"And maybe have the housekeeper come down here more often... this place is awfully dusty", he thought to himself as he exited the area and headed back to the main level of the castle.

As Pym exited, he failed to notice a slight knocking sound from one of the many crates stored in this area. Softly, the knocks echoed across the room before ending.

**

After several hours of waiting, the Avengers sat around a small campfire.

"It doesn't look like he's taking the bait", Druid said.

"We'll give it tonight and then try something else if we don't get a bite", the Widow replied.

"Maybe there are too many people around?", Spitfire suggested. "We've got quite a full load here."

"I don't think Bloodscream is the type to worry about numbers", Union Jack replied. "As far as anyone can tell, the only ones here that might pose him any threat are Druid, Issac and the Vision."

"The rest of us are just normal, ordinary persons to anyone watching", the Knight said.

"Is it possible that he can see through Sersi's illusions?", Barnabas asked.

"Not likely", Sersi replied. "The changes I made are not illusions, but actual changes. And they'll last until each of you utter the code word we agreed upon."

"Maybe we're just not making it easy enough", Spitfire suggested.

"We're assuming that Bloodscream is aware that Druid has returned and has the artifact that originally imprisoned him with him", the Widow said. "Maybe we're wrong in our assumption."

"That is a logical assumption", the Vision commented.

"So what do you think we should do?", Sharon Ventura asked. "All of this waiting is making me antsy."

"We need to make the bait too irrrestible for Bloodscream to resist", the Knight said.

""We don't even know for sure that he's in the area", Union Jack said.

"He is", the Widow said. "I just know it!"

"The son of Zeus trusts thou judgement, fair lady", Hercules commented, "but I must agree with the others that this waiting is most unseemingly!"

"Why not recall the obvious threats", Druid said.

"What do you mean?", the Widow asked.

"Bloodscream knows that he can beat me", Druid said. "Unfortunately, that was proven in our first encounter."

"And he faced me in our earlier battle", Gargoyle said. "But the Vision is an unknown entity to him."

"So perhaps he's not making a move due to his uncertainty with me?", the Vision asked. "That would be logical."

"But if the two heroes were to depart", Druid said. "At least not be here so obviously, maybe Bloodscream would feel more secure and make his move to recover this artifact."

"So what do you suggest", the Widow said.

"We'll make a big scene that the Avengers are being recalled and then Vision and Issac will leave in the Quinjet. They can return a short time later after Sersi gives them the same kind of physical makeover that she's given the rest of you", Druid said.

"And then, the only potential threat that anyone will see will be you, Doctor", Barnabas said.

"And since he knows his powers are stronger than mine, maybe he'll make a move and we can stop him.", Druid said.

"That will put you in great danger", Spitfire noted.

"No more than any danger we all face on a regular basis", Druid noted.

"True", the Knight said. "It makes sense!"

"It is extremely logical", the Vision agreed.

"I don't like it, but it might work to flush Bloodscream out even quicker", the Widow said. "Let's do it!"

"Wait", the Vision said. "I think I hear a disturbance!"

"What?", the Widow said. "Where?"

"I hear something too", Barnabas replied.

"It sounds as if it's coming from the far parameter of the camp", Sersi said.

"Should I go check it out", Spitfire asked.

"No", the Widow said. "Stay incognito and don't show your powers. That's where the Panther stationed his elite guard for our security."

"I can check it out in my bat form", Barnabas said. "Druid can psi-link me with the rest of you and I should be able to remain undetected."

"Fine", the Widow said. "And Vision, go along in your etheral form. The two of you should be able to scrutinize the situation and report back the easiest."

Without a word, the Vision slowly lowered his mass and appeared to fade away as he exited off into the air, as faint as the evening breeze. Meanwhile, Barnabas changed quickly into the form of a large black bat and also headed off in the direction of the noises.

**

In Collinsport, Maine at Collinwood...

Mantis took a walk along the edge of the woods leading towards the old cementary. She had told Quentin and the others that she just wanted to explore, which was true, but there was also another reason for her solo venture.

"This one senses a great feeling of sadness and loss", Mantis thought to herself as she walked along the narrow trail. "Maybe I can track the feelings and discover who or what is responsible for these strong feelings."

Quietly and without a sound, Mantis followed the strong emotions, using her powers of empathy to track the strong feelings she continued to feel gnawing at her.

As she approached the Collins family masoleum, she felt drawn to a certain spot in the graveyard. Mantis looked down and saw an old tombstone, covered by dust and the elements of several years. Reaching down, Mantis brushed off the dirt to reveal a name.

"Dr. Julia Hoffman", Mantis read. "That's the woman who was Barnabas Collins' confident back in the seventies."

For a few moments, Mantis stood at the gravesite, lost in her thoughts when she heard footsteps coming up behind her.

"Hey Mom, we were looking for you", the voice of her son, Jacques, sang out.

"This one was just walking and thinking", Mantis replied.

"You feel it too, don't you?", Jacques asked as he walked up and stood next to his mother.

"I do", Mantis said. "And I believe that it has something to do with this Julia Hoffman."

"The feelings are so lost... so sad", Jacques said.

"I believe that we should learn more about this Dr. Hoffman and the circumstances of her life... and death", Mantis replied.

"Quentin would know", Jacques suggested.

"You are correct", Mantis replied. "You were looking for this one. Why?"

"Willie and Quentin asked me to find you. We've been invited to dinner over at the other house to meet the rest of Quentin's family". Jacques answered.

"That should be most pleasurable", Mantis smiled. "Let us go back to the house and prepare for the evening."

And with that, Mantis and Jacques turned and walked off, headed towards the old house.

As they walked away, neither noticed the figure of a small child, watching them as they left. A young, oddly clad girl. And as they vanished from sight, the young girl, Sarah Collins, smiled a small smile and then, was gone.

**

In Wakanda, Barnabas Collins and the Vision quickly headed over to where the faint noise of a disturbance had emmitted from. Scattered about were several of the Wakandan elite forces that T'Challa, the Black Panther, had sent there to provide security.

"They seem to be alive", Barnabas said as he morphed into his human form and knelt to examine one of the downed soldiers.

"That is fortunate", the Vision answered as he willed himself back to his normal mass and stood next to the kneeling Barnabas Collins.

"Fortunate for them, but not for you, cretin fools", a voice cried out as energy blasts shot forth and nailed the Vision, knocking him through several trees and hundreds of yards away."

"Bloodscream, I presume", Barnabas said cooly as he rose up to meet this new challenge.

"I have used that name, among others", Bloodscream bellowed out. "But you will call me death!"

"I think not", Barnabas replied as he crouched and moved with superhuman speed to get behind and grab hold of Bloodscream. "Many have tried over the years and I'm still here!"

"But they were fools, as are you", Bloodscream yelled as he pivoted and tossed Barnabas away.

"Barnabas is many things", a high pitched voice sang out as Spitfire entered the scene, engulfing Bloodscream in a mini-vortex of air, "but he's definitely no fool!"

"What is this?", Bloodscream bellowed. "I'm being attacked by the wind!"

"Nope", the Black Knight said as he moved on to the scene, followed closely by Union Jack, Issac Christians and Sharon Ventura. "Not the wind!"

"Thou art facing the Avengers!", Hercules bellowed as he leveled Bloodscream with a huge punch.

"Again, you fools challenge me", Bloodscream bellowed as he blasted bolts of energy at the oncoming heroes. "Well, this time, you die!"

"Not by your hand, Sparky!", Sharon said as she used the stump of a fallen tree to bat at Bloodscream and pound him.

"Coordinate your attack", the Widow said as she blasted at Bloodscream with her Widow's sting. "Duck and weave!"

"Cretins", Bloodscream yelled as he deflected a silver knife thrown by Union Jack, but was caught by the stinging blows of Issac's bio-mystical blasts.

With a blood curling scream, Bloodscream cut loose with a blast of energy that sent Issac and Union Jack reeling. Barnabas Collins moved in again and using his enhanced vampire strength, managed to grapple with Bloodscream for a few moments before being tossed away.

"Have at thee, varlot!", Hercules yelled. "Prepare to recieve thy gift!"

And with that, Hercules landed a huge blow and grasped tightly on to Bloodscream who squirmed and wiggled around in attempts to toss the enraged man-god away.

"Hold that position, Herc", the Knight said as he moved in and planted his sword, set on synapse-disruptive mode, deeply into the head of Bloodscream.

"Aaaaauuuuuuggghhh!", Bloodscream cried out. And with that, let loose with another powerful blast of energy that sent heroes flying in all directions.

"Is that it, you mortal scum", Bloodscream bellowed. "I have been too gentle on you! Now, you die!"

"Not if I can help it", the Widow replied as she cut loose with a steel cable, her Widow's line, which wrapped around Bloodscream, pinning his arms to his side.

"This can not hold me, cow!", Bloodscream cried out.

"It doesn't have to hold you long", the Widow smiled. "Just long enough!"

Bloodscream looked up and saw a small yellow and green figure in the sky coming down fast and getting faster. Increasing his density to maxium levels, the Vision had climbed up several hundred miles into the sky and was now barrelling down like a human missle towards the temporarily incapictated murderer.

CRASHHHHHHHHHHHH!

With a vicious and devastating impact, the Vision's body collided with that of Bloodscream, sending dirt and dust flying everywhere. When the dust cleared, only one stood... Bloodscream.

"I have taken your worst... and I still stand! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!", Bloodscream cried out. "Mortal fools!"

"Who says that you've taken our worse", Sersi said as she moved into the picture. "I held back to give the others a chance. But I'm not holding back any more!"

"And who, wench, are you", Bloodscream sneered.

"I'm Sersi", Sersi smiled. "And I'm an Eternal."

"You are a fool", Bloodscream cried out. "And I will bathe in your blood!"

"Bring it on, big boy", Sersi smiled.

With that, Bloodscream lunged at Sersi, only to be blasted by force beams from Sersi's eyes. The two began to engage in a fierce battle.

"Shouldn't we try and help Miss Sersi", Issac asked the Widow as the remaining heroes pulled themselves together on the sidelines.

"Right now, she's holding her own and seems to be winning", the Widow said. "Any help we try might do more damage than good. Watch close and pick your spots. If she needs an assist, provide it. But otherwise, we're probably better off on the sidelines."

"What about the artifact and Druid?", the Knight asked.

"I'm setting things up right now", Druid said. "I should be able to open a doorway into the artifact. Then we only have to get Bloodscream to enter the door and shut it behind him!"

"Well, hurry!", the Knight said.

"I've got it!", Druid said. As he employed his mystic might and several spells, the heroes watched as a large black door opened up in the sky. "Now, we have to get Bloodscream inside that doorway."

"You heard him, Avengers", the Widow said. "Let's go help Sersi and get Bloodscream into that doorway."

"Time to take out the trash... for good", Spitfire added.

As the heroes surrounded the battling entities, a quick plan of action was determined and the Avengers moved quickly to put their plans into action.

Using his shape-changing powers and speed, Barnabas Collins moved in quickly slash at Bloodscream as he had managed to gain an advantage and stood over a temporarily stunned Sersi. As Bloodscream turned to blast at Barnabas, twin steel cables flew forth from Union Jack and The Black Widow, wrapping themselves around Bloodscream's body. As he shrieked in anger, a large fist from Hercules blasted Bloodscream and sent him flying back several hundred yards where the Gargoyle and the now-recovered Vision were waiting. As one, they bombarded Bloodscream with a combination of the Vision's solar energy blasts and Issac's bio-mystical energy blasts.
As Bloodscream moaned in anger and agony, he noticed a shadow up behind him and shrieked again as he felt his nervous system disrupted by the sword of the Black Knight.

"Cursed mortal cretins", Bloodscream bellowed once more. "I'll pick my teeth with your bones!"

"Oh shut up", Sharon Ventura said as she grabbed Bloodscream and monkey-flipped him right into a blast of energy from the waiting Sersi.

"Aaaaaauuugggghh!", Bloodscream shrieked as he struggled to his feet, obviously in intense pain.

"There are too many of you... I'll kill you all!", he cried out as the heroes regrouped around him.

More blows and blasts of various energies rained down on Bloodscream, coming from every angle. He cried out in anger as he was frustrated and unable to get his bearings after so many attacks which never seemed to end. Out of the corner of his eye, Bloodscream saw one slight opening among his attackers and realizing that the numbers game was against him, cut loose with a blast of energy that sent his foes reeling. And then Bloodscream made his move, heading towards the slight opening and into the dark African sky... which was not the sky at all, but the doorway to the prison dimension where Bloodscream had once been imprisoned and was now imprisoned once more.

"Got him", Druid said as he stepped out of the shadows where he had been hiding.

"Quickly", the Widow yelled. "Close the portal!"

And Druid quickly recited the encryption on the artifact and the hole in the sky through which Bloodscream had just vanished closed up with a loud pop.

"And that's a wrap", Issac said as he walked up next to the Widow.

"Good work everyone", the Widow said.

"We're not done yet", the Knight said as he walked over and took the artifact from Druid.

"Indeed not", Barnabas said. "So long as this artifact exists, the threat of Bloodscream will remain."

"What do you think, Druid?", the Widow asked.

"I agree. And although I am loathe to destroy something so old and rare", Druid said quietly and nodded towards the Knight who handed the artifact to Hercules.

Hercules took the artifact in his hand and closed it, crushing the artifact, the key to Bloodscream's prison, in his hand.

"And now, that's truly a wrap", Sersi said with a smile.

"Now what", Sharon Ventura asked.

"I'm ready to head home", Union Jack said quietly.

"As are we all", the Widow said. "The Vision has gone to get the Quinjet. Let's clean up here and go home!"

"Great idea", Spitfire smiled. "Great idea!"

No comments:

Post a Comment