Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 15

A few days later, at the Avengers Castle, the heroes have gathered for their weekly meeting.

"So have you had any luck in breaking that curse on Petofi's hand, Doctor?", the Black Widow asked Dr. Druid.

"No", Druid said. "I've tried everything I could think of and have consulted not only Dr. Strange, but also Shaman from Alpha Flight and even Agatha Harkness for help, but we've had no luck at all."

"Told you it was next to impossible", Quentin Collins smiled.

Druid frowned at their guest and then turned back towards the Widow.

"I think our best solution would be simply to get rid of it!", he said, "and place it where it can not endanger anyone ever again."

"I agree", the Widow said. "But we have to decide where and how."

"As I suggested before", Hercules said, "I can always take yon cursed hand to Olympus and allow my father to place it in a place where neither man nor god dare tread!"

"A possible solution", Druid agreed, "but there are even those in Olympus, who have aspirations and could do much harm with such power!"

"They would not dare face my father's wrath", Hercules said.

"I don't know, big guy", Iceman said. "Remember how Ares and Pluto gave us fits when we were with the Champions. They're liable to do anything if it means more power!"

"I remember", Hercules agreed. "But I can still think of no other place where yon cursed appendage would be out of the reach of mortals."

"This one has a suggestion", Mantis said.

"Does this have anything to do with what we spoke of earlier", the Widow asked.

"It does", Mantis said.

"So I guess this is as good a time as any to break the news to the troops!", the Widow said. "Would you like to tell them, Mantis, or shall I?"

"I shall", Mantis said. "This one is leaving the Avengers.... for now!"

"What?", Gargoyle said.

"Oh man!", Iceman said.

"What? Why?", Lyja asked.

"This one is headed back, for the time being, to the stars", Mantis explained. "My son and I have things that need to be done... out there, in our roles as the Celestial Madonna and the Celestial Messiah. I have enjoyed my time as an Avenger!"

"And I've learned and grown so much by being among you as well", Jacques added.

"But we have duties and a destiny", Mantis said. "And what needs to be done requires us to leave for a time."

"But leaving the group?", Spitfire asked.

"Not leaving", Black Widow clarified. "Once an Avenger, always an Avenger. Mantis will merely be placed on Reservist status!"

"But what does this have to do with our disposal of Petofi's hand", Druid asked.

"When this one and her son depart", Mantis explained, "we will have a very unique source of transport."

"Yeah, the Silver Surfer is coming", Jacques said excitedly.

"The Silver Surfer", Lyja said. "I think I understand now."

"Yes", Mantis smiled. "While transporting this one and her child across the galaxies, it would be a small matter to make a small detour and cast Petofi's hand into the very heart of the sun itself!"

"This Silver Surfer can do that?", Barnabas Collins asked.

"Very easily", Iceman said. "Surfer used to be the Herald of Galactus. With his cosmic powers, there isn't too much he can't do."

"I do believe that would take care of the problem", Druid agreed.

"As do I", Barnabas agreed. "Cast into the fires of the very sun itself would most definitely incinerate that accursed limb."

"And even if it doesn't destroy the hand, it'd be so burnt up, even Petofi couldn't use it for evil again", Quentin said. "I think that having this Surfer guy dispose of the hand might be a great idea."

"He'll be here in the morning", Mantis said. "I'm sure he'll agree."

"And I guess that brings things to us", Quentin said. "Since this case is officially wrapped up, I guess it's time for Barnabas and me to hit the road."

"Why", Hercules asked. "Thou has been the most stalwart of allies and are more than welcome to stay here with the Avengers in our home."

"Yeah, what he said", Lightning agreed.

"You don't have to leave", the Black Widow said. "Both of you have a great help and I'm sure we could find a place for you in the Avengers, maybe as reservists?"

"No", Barnabas said. "I'm a vampire and Quentin is a werewolf. Our world is the world of darkness and the supernatural. We have our lives to get back to and our roles to play. And the life of an Avenger is far too much in the light for either of us."

"But we are honored", Quentin said. "We just work better from the shadows!"

"Well, don't be strangers", the Widow said. "If you ever need any help of any kind, we're here."

"Thank you, dear lady", Barnabas said. "As Quentin said, we are honored by your friendship, all of you."

"As we are by yours", Lyja said. "I'll miss our conversations, Barnabas."

"I'll be at my flat in London", Barnabas said. "And with Dr. Pym's serum, I'll be attempting to reintregate myself back in society again as well."

"I may be able to help you with that", Spitfire said. "Do not forget that I am a member of the House of Lords, and a prominent member of that so-called society you speak of. I'd be glad to make some introductions and help if needed."

"I'll keep that in mind", Barnabas said. "But I prefer to make my own way. But Quentin and I shall ever be at the Avenger's, at all of your beck and call if needed!"

"And we shall be at yours as well", the Widow said. "And I'd like you and Quentin to both have these."

She handed each of them a small card.

"It's an Avengers ID card, labeling both of you as Reservist members. If you need to contact us for any reason, just use those cards and do so", she said.

"We'd better go, Barnabas", Quentin said. "I have a plane to catch back to Collinswood in the states."

"You're going back to the States?", Widow asked.

"Yes", Quentin said. "I asked Curtis to make plane reservations for me this morning. It's time to go home to Collinwood. I've been gone far too long from there."

"No need for a plane reservation", Widow said, looking over at Iceman and Gargoyle.

"Nope", Iceman said. "Not when you have the Frosty Gargoyle Quinjet Transport service available."

"Yeppers", Gargoyle said. "We're getting pretty good at this taxi stuff."

"You don't have to do that, Natasha", Quentin said.

"It's no problem", the Widow said. "Besides, Iceman and Issac would be glad to do it."

"We would", Iceman explained. "Collinsport isn't far from my Mom and Dad's home. It means I can swing home for a free meal."

"And I need to return to Dr. Strange's brownstone in New York as well", Gargoyle said. "If I'm staying here in Europe for a while, I need to pick up some of my things that he's been storing for me."

"So you've decided to stay with us, Issac", Spitfire asked.

"Yeppers. Someone has to keep Bobby out of trouble and I don't really have anywhere else to go anyhow. So if you'll have me....", Issac said.

"Of course we will", the Widow said. "And we're honored."

"Since your transportation is arranged", Barnabas said to Quentin, "It is time for me to depart!"

"You don't have to leave, Cousin", Quentin said.

"I think it would be best", Barnabas said.

"Well, don't be a stranger", Living Lightning said.

"Thou art always welcome", Hercules added.

"Indeed", Dr. Druid said. "I would greatly enjoy your company and knowledge with some of my occult investigations."

"You have only to ask", Barnabas said. "And I will see you soon as well", he said to Lyja.

"I"m looking forward to it", Lyja smiled.

"What the...?", Living Lightning gasped.

"He's a fascinating conversationalist", Lyja smiled.

"Wait until I tell Johnny", Iceman smirked. "The Skrull and the Vampire. He's going to be so jealous!"

"Have you ever woken up with a Plymmerilian Dragon-Ape standing over you?", Lyja asked Iceman.

"No", Iceman asked.

"One word to upset Johnny from you and I promise it'll happen.... soon", Lyja smiled.

"Uhhh.... I'm not saying anything else", Iceman stuttered.

"Smart boy", Issac commented.

Barnabas watched as the scene unfolded and then stepped over by the window.

"Farewell Avengers. Until we meet again!", he said as he transformed himself into the form of a large bat and flew out the window.

"I guess that's it for now", the Widow said. "Unless anyone has anything else, meeting adjouned!"

"I guess we'd better go get our checkered yellow Quinjet ready", Iceman said to Gargoyle as they walked from the room.

"And we shall go prepare to leave as well", Mantis said to Phillip.

"Wait a second", Quentin said.

"What?", Widow asked.

"Well, since everyone seems to be leaving tomorrow and it's a beautiful night...", he said.

"Tonight, we party", Iceman said, finishing Quentin's sentence.

"Whoo-hoo!", Lightning said. "Have Curtis break out the grill."

"Ahead of you, as always, Manuel", Spitfire laughed as she put down her communi-card. "I just buzzed Curtis and told him to make sure we've got eats and drinks, for tonight, the Avengers are throwing down and partying hard."

"We don't have the time for this", Druid started to say.

"Lighten up, Doc", Gargoyle said. "Any of your hocus pocus can wait until tomorrow after everyone leaves. Mr. Collins..."

"Quentin", Quentin corrected.

"Quentin", Gargoyle corrected himself, "is right. It's time to relax for a few hours and let your hair down!"

"But this one has to pack and...", Mantis started to say.

"He's right, Mom", Jacques interjected. "Besides, we'll be traveling across the galaxy on a surfboard. How much packing do we need to do? Really?"

"The Prince of Power thinks a feast is exactly what is in order", Hercules bellowed.

"I was thinking more a few burgers on the grill, but still... what he says", Quentin laughed.

"What thinks thou, fair Natasha", Hercules asked their leader, who had been watching everyone and their interaction.

"I think it's a great idea", the Widow said. "So Avengers... see you by the pool in about 45 minutes. Tonight, we enjoy the night and celebrate our victory over Petofi."

The heroes cheered, with the exception of the far too serious Dr. Druid who merely scowled.

"And Druid", Widow said, "you get to man the grill!"

Another cheer went up as everyone turned towards Druid to see his reaction towards the Widow's proclamation.

"Fine", Druid shrugged. "But don't blame me if everyone gets food poisoning. I've not much experience with grilling."

"I'll handle the grill", Issac said. "I love to cook. And if anyone gets sick, don't worry. Druid's a doctor so he can take care of them!"

"I'm not a medical doctor", Druid clarified.

"Hey, if I could survive Hawkeye's BBQ's when I was with the West Coast team", the Lightning threw in, "I'm not worried at all about Issac's cooking... or Druid's for that matter!"

"Is that a vote of confidence for Issac... or are you telling us how bad Hawkeye's cooking was?", Iceman asked.

"A little bit of both", Lightning said with a smile.

"Clint's cooking does leave somethng to be desired", the Widow agreed. "But he tries hard."

"Don't worry", Issac said. "I'm actually quite good with the grill. We used to have Potlucks in my town of Christiansboro back in the 40's and I'd cook for the entire town."

"So it's settled", Lyja stepped in. "Issac cooks. Druid can help with the wine selection or something like that."

"An excellent idea", Druid said. "Being from Boston, I do know about the finer things in life like a fine wine."

"I've yet to find a wine that compares with Olympian mead", Hercules said, "but I await your pick of the grape."

"As do I", Quentin said. "Collinwood has one of the finest private wineries in the United States and some excellent tastes. I'm always appreciative of an excellent wine."

"Bah", Lyja said. "Give me a beer anytime."

"You sound like Wolverine", Iceman smirked. "I, on the other hand, only drink the very best of beverages."

"All this one ever sees you drink is Pepsi", Mantis said.

Everyone laughed as Iceman blushed for a moment.

"Of course", he said. "Only the very best!"

"Well, time is wasting so let's get to partying", Quentin said.

"Agreed", the Widow added. "At the pool, by the grill..."

"Avengers Assemble", everyone said in unison as the gathering broke up and everyone went their seperate ways to get ready.

**

A few days later at the Avengers Castle, Black Widow was sitting in the library talking to Spitfire.

"It's so quiet around here", Spitfire said. "When are Bobby and Issac due back?"

"Barring an emergency, probably at the end of the week", Widow answered. "They went by the X-Mansion in Weschester and one of the students, Jubilee, blackmailed Bobby and Issac into staying over for her birthday party on Saturday."

"Will Lyja be flying back with them?", Spitfire asked.

"I believe so", the Widow said. "She's helping out her husband and the rest of the Fantastic Four on some mission. I believe she just wanted some time with Johnny, the Human Torch!"

"They're such a strange couple", Spitfire said. "But when I've seen them together, it's hard not to feel the love."

"Their history is definitely a unique one, but what's the old saying about love will find a way", the Widow said.

Dr. Druid entered the library.

"Excuse me, ladies. Natasha, may I have a word?", Druid asked.

"Of course", the Widow said.

"That's my cue to excuse myself", Spitfire said. "I've got to go brush up on my protocal anyhow. Next week is a meeting of Parliment and I'll be stuck in London all week with a bunch of hot-aired politicians. And I have to practice biting my tongue and being nice to morons and idiots!"

"Have fun", the Widow smiled as Spitfire walked from the room.

"So Druid, what's up?", Widow asked.

"Well, I just recieved a call from an old associate", Druid said. "And he'd like me to come down and investigate some paranormal phenomena down in the Isle of Crete."

"I see", the Widow said.

"And I'd like to go investigate. It sounds very interesting.", Druid said.

"So what's the problem?", Widow asked. "You certainly don't need my permission to investigate occult matters."

"Well, given that it's in Crete, I'd like to take Hercules with me. It may well involve some of his family members and his knowledge of Greek history and mythology may be very valuable", Druid said.

"But you don't want to leave us short handed with the team", Widow said.

"Exactly", Druid said. "My associate desires us down there as soon as possible, but most of the team is away right now."

"We can handle it", Widow said.

"WIth Mantis and her son off in space, and then Iceman, Gargoyle and Lyja over in the states, that doesn't leave you much firepower. And of course, Spitfire will be stuck in Parliment all of next week", Druid explained. "If there was an emergency of any great degree..."

"We'd handle it", Widow said. "I still have Manuel here with me. Spitfire won't leave until next week to attend Parliment and by then, Bobby, Issac and Lyja will all be back. And I can always call on Barnabas Collins for extra muscle as well!"

"But still...", Druid said.

"This may very well be something major and important", Widow said. "Go check it out. Crete really isn't that far away... just a couple of hours by a Quinjet. If we need you and Hercules, we can call."

"But those few hours can make a difference", Druid said.

"True", the Widow said. "But we're Avengers. We'll make due."

"I don't like it, but you're correct", Druid agreed. "I'll let Hercules know that we'll leave tonight and then be back as soon as we can."

"Just take your time and be careful", the Widow said. "And we'll hold the fort down here."

"Very well", Druid said as he stood up to leave. "We'll have our communicators on though, just in case!"

"That'd be fine", the Widow said as Druid walked from the room.

Natasha sat there for a few moments. She hated to admit it, but they would be a bit short on the power-side if Hercules and Druid left for a few days, especially with so many of the other members involved in other activities all over the world.

"We could handle it, but still...", the Widow thought to herself as she picked up her cell-phone, "better safe than sorry!"

The Black Widow scrolled through her list of contacts and put the phone to her ear. She smiled as the phone rang and she heard a voice on the other end.

"Hello?", the voice said.

"Wanda", the Widow said. "This is Natasha. I was just wondering if you and Simon have any plans for the next few days. We're a little light on bodies here in Europe and I don't want to be caught short handed in case somethng big comes up. So I was wondering if you and Simon might be interested in pinch-hitting for a few weeks with our European team...just in case... What's that?... You can?... That'd be great!... I'll arrange a flight for you immediately and e-mail you the details. Thanks, Wanda... See you tomorrow...

Natasha sat back with a smile.

"Like I told Druid, anything comes up and we'll handle it. Good thing there are so many Avengers!"

No comments:

Post a Comment