Monday, February 28, 2011

The Gathering (Part 2)

Jim Cornette is sitting in his home-office, going over his schedule for the next few weeks.

"ROH on Friday and Saturday in Philadelpia. Then down to Dayton on Sunday night. And then off to the OVW studios on Thursday and Friday", he read on his computer.

The phone rings. Cornette looks at the caller ID.

"Stamford, CT?", he thinks. "Who would be calling me from there."

"Hello", Cornette answered.

"Jim, it's Arn.... How are you?", a voice on the other side of the line answered.

"Double A, how the hell are you", Cornette replied. "It's been a long time, Arn. What can I do for you?"

"Well, Jim... this is kind of awkward, but it's about Vince...", Arn said.

"That sorry son-of-a-bitch", Cornette replied. "Whatever Vince is selling, I'm not interested!"

"I told Vince you'd say that, but hear me out, OK?", Arn asked.

"I'm not doing any work for WWE or VInce. I don't give a damn what he wants!", Cornette replied.

"I know you and Vince have some bad blood between you", Arn started to say, but Cornette cut him off...

"Bad blood? That son-of-a-bitch fired me from my own company. He blacklisted me and the wrestlers I helped train. He's an ego-driven, parasitic piece of trash who's destroyed everything good about our business and turned it into his own sports-entertainment playground.", Cornette ranted. And continued to rant for almost twenty-five straight minutes before Arn could get a word in.

"Listen Jimmy, everything you say is true", Arn said, "but Vince owns the WWE and he's still Vince McMahon. We have to give him some credit for making our business grow to new heights and being bigger than ever."

"Damn it, what do you want Arn?", Cornette sighed.

"Vince wants to do a WCW-style tribute show", Arn said.

"Then why are you calling me", Cornette said. "Just pile a bunch of goofs in the ring that don't belong there and break out some barf bags and that's all they need to make it one-hundred percent WCW!"

"WCW wasn't that bad", Arn said defensively.

"DId you watch that crap", Cornette said. "You and Ric and the Horsemen were awesome. My team of the Midnights against Ricky and Robert was damn good too. But after Bischoff took over and Hogan came aboard, it was a disgrace and embarassment. It's better off dead and forgotten."

"There was a lot of crap, especially with Hogan and the NWO", Arn agreed, "but we want to forget that part and just focus on the positives."

"That'll take about ten minutes... maybe fifteen", Cornette said. "But what about the rest of the show?"

"Just think about it, OK?", Arn said. "Vince wants to do a WCW One Night Stand type show, like the original ECW One Night Stand show, with all WCW stars and performers and a WCW style of wrestling being highlighted."

"Well, get Dusty to do it", Cornette said. "He was the booker for most of the Turner shows. He can main event and put himself over, just like old times."

"Vince doesn't want Dusty", Arn said. "He wants you to handle it all."

"Me?", Cornette exclaimed. "That sorry piece of crap knows I can't stand him and would love to kick him repeatedly in the nuts. I can't believe he'd ask for me to do this... or anything for that matter."

"Well, he would prefer you, but he also told me to ask Ole.", Arn admitted.

"Ole Anderson", Cornette laughed. "That's the one person who hates Vince worse that I do. There is no way in hell that Ole would agree to do anything for the WWE and Vince."

"Well, probably not, but he told me to call him back after I spoke with you", Arn said. "I talked to him a little while ago."

"Why me and Ole?", Cornette said. "What's the catch?"

"No catch", Arn said. "It's all about ego. Vince wants to prove once and for all that WWE is better than WCW ever was... and Steamboat and Michael Hayes have been in his ears about a WCW reunion show."

"But how does this involve me and Ole", Cornette wanted to know.

"Well, you and Ole were the only real bookers who had success with the company when it was a territory and really made Vince sweat. He knew that Bischoff's success would eventually implode upon itself and fizzle out once the money ran out and Turner got tired of paying the bills with no return. Dusty is an idea man, but not good with the day-to-day booking of shows, and Vince hates his style of booking anyhow. Believe it or not, Vince has a tremendous amount of respect for both you and Ole", Arn said.

"We're the only two that didn't come crawling to him in the end", Cornette agreed.

"Vince respects the both of you tremendously", Arn continued. "He just thinks you're both tremendously out-dated in your booking and storyline styles."

"Vince is an arrogant bastard", Cornette said. "I'd like to take my outdated tennis racket and shove it straight up his ass!"

"OK! Anyhow, but we've had a running argument around the company about how well a show, booked old-school style, would go over with today's audience", Arn said. "And finally, we got Vince to agree to put it to a test."

"What kind of test?", Cornette said.

"An old-school pay-per-view", Arn said. "We use the idea of a WCW reunion as the reason for the show and Vince wanted us to find the most old-school, bookers we can."

"Which are me and Ole?", Cornette said.

"Well, either one of you guys or else he'll just hire Sullivan to do it.", Arn said.

"Sullivan is a whack-job and insane", Cornette barked. "Every match would be some sort of stupid-ass gimmick with screw-job finishes and fans walking out in droves!"

"Kevin isn't that bad", Arn said, "but he does get a little over the top sometimes."

"A little over the top? That's like saying Micheal Jackson was a fair dancer and J-Lo has a tiny ass", Cornette exclaimed.

"Well, maybe...", Arn admitted.

"I'm surprised Sullivan isn't already up there in Stamford, with his head up Vince's ass!", Cornette continued. "They're both freakin' crazy!"

"So what do you think about the idea of a WCW show... one more time?", Arn asked.

"So how much control would we have over this?", Cornette said. "Will Vince be throwing his ideas into the show and tweaking it, as he likes to do?"

"You mean you'll do it?", Arn asked.

"Nope, I didn't say that", Cornette said. "I'm just wondering... if we did do this... would we have full and absolute control?"

"Yes", Arn said.

"Over everything", Cornette asked. "The matches, the participants, the promos, and everything else?"

"Well, you can't trash Vince or the WWE", Arn said. "But you'd have full control over the wrestlers used, the matches, and such."

"Hmmmmm!", Cornette said.

"So are you interested?", Arn asked.

"What about the wrestlers? Anyone we can't use?", Cornette asked.

"The guys who are under contract to TNA are off limits", Arn admitted.

"So that rules out Flair, Scotty Steiner and Hogan", Cornette said. "And does anyone know what Sting's status is?"

"Not sure about that", Arn said.

"I'll call him and find out", Cornette said. "So I could use anyone I want?"

"Yeah! Anyone not under contract to TNA who's available would be usable.", Arn said. "So what do you think?"

"Let me call Ole and then I'll get back to you", Cornette said.

"So I should tell Vince what?", Arn asked.

"I'll think about it", Cornette said. "I want to listen to Ole piss and moan first, but I'm definitely interested."

"I'll tell him that you'll get back to him after you talk to Ole", Arn said.

"Also tell him that I still think he's an arrogant, smart-assed, son-of-a-bitch", Cornette said.

"I think he knows that, but I'll tell him", Arn said, feeling Cornette's smirk over the phone. "Oh yeah, and Jimmy..."

"Yeah", Cornette asked.

"Thanks!", Arn said.

"I haven't agreed to anything yet!", Cornette said.

"I know", Arn admitted, "but if anyone can do this and make it damn good, you're the one. And speaking for myself, I'd love to see WCW... our WCW have one last show and have some closure."

"I know what you mean, Arn", Cornette agreed. "I'll get back to you, one way or the other in a couple of days."

"Talk at you later", Arn said, hanging up the phone.

"See ya!", Cornette replied.

"A WCW reunion show... with no Hogan or Bischoff involved and me handling the booking. I can see Vince's toupee spinning in the wind already. Damn it, what did I do with Ole's number. Let me call that cantankerous old bastard and see what he thinks!", Cornette smiled. "This could be kind of fun!"

**

A few minutes later, Cornette was on the phone with Ole Anderson.

"Ole, this is Jim Cornette. Have you talked to Arn recently? Yeah, isn't that the craziest idea? A WCW show. And Vince wants us to book it."

And that was all it took to get Ole started as he cut loose with a 30 minute rambling tirade about Vince McMahon and his entire WWE.

"So I take it that means you're not interested", Cornette said into the phone after Ole finally stopped screaming and cursing about Vince and the WWE.

"I think it's a good idea and it'll make money", Ole said. "But there is no way in hell I could go up there and do anything to help out McMahon. He'd come strutting up with that cocky attitude of his and I'd be forced to bust him in the mouth."

"So that means you're not interested", Cornette asked once more.

"If you want to do it, then do it", Ole said. "But so far as I'm concerned, Vince and his entire family go straight to...."

"OK, Ole", Cornette said, cutting Ole off. "I just wanted to get your opinion on this. I can't stand McMahon either, but it sure would be to make this a success and be able to rub it in his face that despite everything he's said and done, WCW could still make money and be a success."

"Good luck with that", Ole said. "I'd be just as happy to kick his gloating, arrogant ass and be done with it."

"Sooner or later, someone is going to do it", Cornette said. "I just hope I get to see it."

"Me too", Ole agreed.

After a few more minutes of small talk, Cornette bid Ole farewell and hung up the phone.

"So if I do this, it's just me", Cornette thought to himself. "Oh what the hell?"

Cornette picked the phone back up and dialed a number.

"Hey Arn, this is Jim Cornette. Tell that toupee wearing weasal that if he wants a WCW One Night Stand show, to give me a call tonight. I'll do it!"

**

A few nights later, Cornette traveled to a WWE show in Cleveland, OH to have a meeting with Vince McMahon and the WWE officials to work out details about the prospective WCW event. Dusty Rhodes was assigned to be the assistant booker for Cornette, which made Cornette roll his eyes repeatedly, but the meeting went well and Cornette gave Vince an outline of the show and what he wanted to do.

"This is all well and good, Jim", Vince started to say after Cornette finished his summary, but Cornette cut him off.

"The deal is total control and no tweaking from you", Cornette smiled at Vince. "So there's the proposal. Take it or I can just walk out of here right now and we can forget this whole idea ever happened."

Vince muttered a few words under his breath, but quickly composed himself and smiled.

"You're right, Jim. I did agree to that and I'm a man of my word. Your show all the way. I'll just sign the checks."

Cornette just smiled a big grin for a moment before getting serious again.

"So are we looking at a pay-per-view or maybe a Monday night, doing a live Nitro instead of RAW?", Cornette asked.

"I don't want to ruin RAW or Smackdown by missing a week", Vince said. "And our PPV calendar is already booked up for the next three years."

"So it'll be a special then", Cornette asked.

"That would probably work the best", Vince said. "We can arrange for a live three hour block on the USA Network and do it on a Wednesday or Thursday night."

"That makes sense since you tape Smackdown and the NXT show on Tuesday and Friday is when Smackdown airs. Probably a Wednesday night is best", Cornette agreed.

"And what are we going to call this event? One Night Stand is pretty much identified with ECW now", Vince said.

"Actually, that's pretty simple", Cornette smiled. "Clash of the Champions."

"I agree with that", Vince said, "but how about the sub-title for the event?"

"I've already thought about that too", Cornette said. "And I have two possibilities for you. The first would be 'Clash of Champions: Starcade', which would give homage to what was easily WCW's premiere event for so many years."

"Hmmmmm!", Vince thought to himself. "And what's the other possibility?"

"It was the sub-title for the second Starcade... 'The Gathering', how's that sound to you?"

"WCW Clash of Champions: The Gathering", Vince repeated several times to himself. "I like it!"

"Great", Cornette said. "Now we just need to get a date set so you can begin promoting the event and I can start getting people together to make up the show."

"Excellent, JIm", VInce said as he stood up. "But please... don't pull any surprises on me and make me regret this."

"Now Vince, would I do something like that", Cornette said as he shook Vince's hand with a big grin. "Don't worry, I want this to work too. No surprises."

"Great", Vince said. "And by the way Jim, it's great to be working with you again."

"I'd still like to slap you across the head with my tennis racket a few thousand times", Cornette smirked, "but yeah, this is good."

**

Things moved quickly from that point. A date was set and an arena was secured in Greenville, SC, which had been the home to many memorable WCW events in the past. Air-time was secured on the USA Network. People were contacted and flown in. And it was a few minutes before airtime.

"Wow!", Tony Schiavone said as he looked over his notes. "This is a night I never thought would happen."

"I don't think any of us did, Tony", Cornette smiled. "Damn it, where is Dusty? He's supposed to be working the gorilla position."

"I think he's in the Gorilla position already", Larry Zbyszko said as he walked into the room. "I thought Dusty was going to do commentary with me and Schiavone?"

"I changed that", Cornette said. "Jim Ross will be the third man for most of the show."

"Why?", Tony Schiavone asked. "Ross is a WWE guy and you know how he and I get along."

"J.R. was WCW before he was WWE", Cornette explained. "And I don't give a damn how you get along. Just be professional and call the matches."

"Boy, this should be fun", Zbyszko laughed as he took one last look at his notes for the show. "Chill out, Tony. At leasr we can understand what Ross says. If Dusty was out there, we'd need someone to work as a translator."

Schiavone gave his broadcast partner a dirty look and prepared to head out to the announce position.

"Are we getting introductions before the show goes on the air", Schiavone asked.

"Of course you are, Tony", Cornette said. "You'll be first, followed by Larry and then J.R."

Just then, a young lady came up and whispered something in Cornette's ear.

"I've gotta go", Cornette said with a big smile on his face. "This is going to be great!"

As Jim Cornette rushed out of sight, Tony turned to Zbyszko.

"You ready to do this, Legend?", he asked.

"I'm always ready", Larry said.

"And here comes Ross, so I guess it's time to go", Schiavone said as Jim Ross joined them.

"Jim", Tony said coldly.

"Hey Tony", JR replied. "And hey, Larry", Ross said as he shook Zbyszko's hand. "Just like old times, right?"

"Yeah, just like old times", Schiavone sneered.

"I love it", Zbyszko smirked as the three announcers moved to the gorilla position directly behind the ramp to the arena.

The WCW Nitro theme starts and Tony Schiavone heads out to the announce position, followed by Zbyszko and then Jim Ross. The crowd screams and
goes crazy.

Gary Michael Capetta is in the ring and gives a pre-show pep talk to the fans and introduces Schiavone, Zbyszko and Ross. He gets a "WCW" chant going as the lights go on and the cameras start. We're on the air...

And the show begins...

(Continued in Part 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment