Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 36

"Are you sure that we need to split up?", Spitfire asked.

"Not entirely, but there are far too many of us to sneak into Mephisto's realm unnoticed", Cap said. "So two groups would work better."

"One to catch his attention while the other rescues our friends", Spitfire said.

"Exactly", Cap agreed. "Now, here's who will be on each group. For the group that will confront Mephisto directly, it will be myself, Thor, Union Jack, Iron Man, Spitfire, The Black Knight, Firestar and Justice. The other team, consisting of The Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, Hercules, Vision, Dr. Druid, Gargoyle and Kori, who will sneak in the back door, so to speak, and attempt to rescue our friends."

"We will hardly be able to sneak into Mephisto's realm undetected", Hercules commented. "As soon as we breach thy walls, our presence will be noted by the evil one."

"But hopefully, he'll be so busy trying to deal with us, he won't catch on right away", Cap said.

"Enough of this talking. Wanda and the others need us and we need to get moving", the Black Knight said.

"Aye and aye again", Hercules agreed.

"Then, if thou are all ready", Thor said as he stepped up. "All gather close and let the powers of Mjolnir transport us all to the dark realms of Mephisto."

"Do it, Thor", Captain America said as the heroes all gathered closely.

Thor muttered a prayer to his father, the All-Mighty Odin, and raising his enchanted hammer, Mjolnir, in the air, began to swing and move the hammer around. The sky above Collinwood grew dark and lightning flashed in the sky as Thor and his allies, the Avengers, warped away from sight.

**

Back in the realm of Mephisto, Dr, Julia Hoffman found herself alone and walking down a hallway.

"This looks familiar, but it can't be...", she thought to herself. "What happened to that woman who was with me? Where are Barnabas and Quentin?"

Julia felt herself compelled to move on and pushed open a doorway.

"Hello... mother!", a voice cried out.

"Oh my... Adam.", Julia reared back in fear at the sight of the artficial man she had created decades ago in her quest to cure Barnabas Collins.

"Yes Julia, It's me", Adam swore. "The artificial man you created and then tried to destroy!"

"We had to... you were killing people!", Julia cried.

"Like you killed people? Like your beloved Barnabas killed people?", Adam cursed. "Why is he allowed to survive and not I?"!

"Adam, please... you've got to understand", Julia cried, scared out of her mind.

"All I understand is that Mephisto wants you to suffer... and cry", Adam scowled. "And if I do as he wants, maybe I'll be able to rest at last."

"No.... No!", Julia shrieked as Adam moved closer and closer to her.

And then all went black as Julia Hoffman passed out and fell to the ground.

**

The witch, Agatha Harkness, also found herself alone.

"Mephisto wants to play his games", she told herself as she wove a magical spell of protection around herself. "I'd best be prepared for battle!"

She was in a room and she heard a noise coming from an adjoining room. The door was open.

"I suppose that I'm expected to enter that room and face whatever Mephisto has waiting", she told herself. "May as well get on with it."

Agatha moved slowly and entered the room, but instead of seeing foes to be battled, she saw two small children sitting in the middle of the room, playing.

"It can not be, but it looks like Franklin... and Luna", Agatha's eyes told her.

For there, in the middle of the room, was a very young Franklin Richards, the son of Reed and Susan Richards, of the Fantastic Four and Luna Maximoff, the daughter of the mutant Avenger Quicksilver and his estranged wife, Crystal, a member of the Royal Family of the Inhumans. Both children had been Agatha's wards at some point and her love of these two younglings was as strong as she'd ever had for any person.

"Auntie Agatha", young Franklin smiled at her. "Come play with us!"

"Yes, Auntie Agatha, come play", Luna echoed.

And the two children stood up and walked over, each taking the elderly woman by a hand and leading her to the center of the room where they forced her to sit.

"This is not real", Agatha told herself. "These are not my young wards!"

"What's wrong, Auntie Agatha", Luna said. "Don't you love us anymore?"

"This is not real", Agatha shrieked. "Not real. You are not Franklin or Luna!"

"Of course we are", Franklin said.

"No", Agatha said. "You're not!"

And Agatha muttered a spell of revelation under her breath and bolts of magic flew from her hands towards the two children. And the two children, Franklin and Luna, changed from the two wards that Agatha had helped raise into two small, hideous demons.

"Ooops", demon Luna sneered. "Looks like the gigs up!"

"Guess so", demon Franklin smiled. "I guess Auntie Agatha doesn't want to play with us!"

"So I guess we'll just have to kill her instead", demon Luna commented.

And the two demon children stood up and progressed towards Agatha, who cast several spells to hold them back, but they continued to move forward, cleaving her spells with their claws.

"Stand back... I command you", Agatha said.

But the demons just laughed and leaped towards the old woman, knocking her to the ground as all went black.

**

Quentin Collins found himself walking along a dark street.

"It can't be, but this looks like Collinsport", he thought to himself. "I wonder what happened to the others?"

Quentin moved on and came upon the tavern, "The Blue Whale", a popular drinking establishment in Collinsport. Walking inside, Quentin recognized many of the faces and gave a nod as he walked up to the bar.

"If this is a trap, I don't get it", he thought to himself as he ordered a drink from the bartender and turned to look at the faces in the crowd. "Whatever it is though, I should be all right. After all, I'm essentially invunerable due to that painting of mine and I can also control my change into a werewolf now. So bring it on, Mephisto."

"Buy a girl a drink" a voice called out, catching Quentin's attention.

Quentin looks towards the direction of the voice and spotted a beautiful, brown haired lady headed in his direction.

"Hello, Jenny", Quentin said quietly.

"Hello? Is that all you have to say to your wife?", Jenny Collins said smugly. "Not even a 'you look nice' or 'how have you been since I killed you'?"

"You were insane and trying to kill me. What choice did I have?", Quentin said matter of factly.

"Tried? I did kill you and if Barnabas Collins and that witch, Angelique, hadn't interferred, you'd be the one rotting here in hell", Jenny sputtered with rage.

"I'm sorry that things turned out as they did", Quentin said as he took a sip of his drink. "I really did love you... once."

"You know nothing of love, Quentin Collins", Jenny raged. "You used me and then threw me aside to move on to that whore, Beth Chavez!"

"I did love you", Quentin protested. "And I loved Beth. I'm sorry how things turned out but I can't change what happened."

"But you can pay for what happened", Jenny snarled. "I killed you once and I can do it again!"

"That wouldn't be wise, Jenny", Quentin replied. "Just let it go!"

"And what about us, Quentin", another voice cried out. "Should we just let it go too?"

Quentin turned around and there were dozens of persons standing behind him.

"Do you know us, Collins?", another voice called out.

"No? Who are....?", Quentin said, confused.

"These are your victims", Jenny spoke out. "These are the people you've killed and maimed over the course of your life as a werewolf."

"No... I don't remember... I couldn't have!", Quentin stammered.

"But you did", one of the people cried out.

"While you can take comfort in your lack of memory from your time as a werewolf, what of your victims? What of the innocents?", Jenny said.

"It wasn't my fault. I couldn't control... I didn't mean..", Quentin said, beginning to break down.

"You killed us", another of the crowd replied.

"And now, we kill you", Jenny laughed.

As the crowd approached upon him, Quentin tried to trigger the change, realizing that unless he forced the change to a wolfman, he would be overwhelmed by the angry mobof his former victims.

"What... I can't change... I can't change!", Quentin realized.

"And now, you will pay", Jenny said as the crowd swarmed over Quentin Collins.

And then everything went black.

**

Mantis found herself in the jungles of Vietnam.

"This one recognizes this area as the Temple of the Priests of Pama", Mantis thought to herself. "I must be on my guard!"

Mantis moved silently and quickly around the area and then up to the Temple itself.

"This one is not sure exactly how I came to be here, but it must be a trap", she sighed.

"So you've returned at last to the site of your most foul act ever", a voice cried out.

Mantis, recognizing the voice immediately, spoke up. "Hello Jacques. Hello Swordsman!"

"Hello" Jacques Duquesne, aka The Swordsman, spat at her. "Is that all you have to say to me, you tratiorious whore? Is that all you have to say to the man who died saving your worthless hide?"

"This one have never forgotten you and your sacrifice", Mantis said as she leaped out of the way of a blast of energy from the Swordsman's sword. "This one holds you in her heart and even named her son after you."

"Your son?", Swordsman spat out as he again tried to blast Mantis. "That half plant bastard? He's no son of mine!"

"This one is sorry you feel that way", Mantis said as she dodged yet another blast. "For me reminds me of you in so many ways... so many good ways!"

"He's a blasemy to my memory", Swordsman spat out. "As is your continued existence!"

"Well, this one has no plans of dying, for you or anyone else", Mantis said as she went on the offensive and sent the Swordsman reeling with a kick to the face.

Seeing her foe stunned, Mantis used her power over plants to cause the vines of the jungle to reach out and wrap around the Swordsman, in an attempt to restrain him.

"Your plant tricks won't hold me", the Swordsman bragged as he used his blade to slice through the vines and forestry. "The only thing that will stop me is your death!"

And with those words, the Swordsman threw his sword directly at Mantis, who attempted to dodge, but just wasn't fast enough as the sword impaled her directly though the stomach.

Mantis looked down in shock and pain at the sword that was sticking through her body... and then everything went black.

**

Barnabas Collins found himself at the old house, Collinwood. After composing himself, Barnabas walked down the long halls towards the library, from where he heard voices.

"I hear someone", Barnabas muttered to himself.

Barnabas pushed open the large doors to the library and there, sitting in the large room, were the loves of his life, Josette Collins, Victoria Winters, the witch, Angelique, Dr. Julia Hoffman and his little sister, Sarah.

"What?", Barnabas exclaimed. "It's not possible. It can't be!"

"Come in, Barnabas", Victoria welcomed him. "Please!"

"Yes, we were just talking about you", Dr. Hoffman added.

"And there is so much that you need to hear", Josette finished.

Barnabas quietly allowed himself to be led to a chair by Victoria and Julia.

"Why are you so quiet, Barnabas?", Angelique asked. "Surprised to see us all here together?"

"Why not?", Victoria said. "After all we all have so much in common."

"After all, we all have loved you", Julia proclaimed.

"And we all died because of you, big brother", Sarah smiled sadly.

"No... no, I don't understand", Barnabas said. "What do you mean?", he asked.

"I was burned as a witch and died, because of my love for you and the way you callously tossed me aside", Angelique explained.

"And when you were lost to me, I threw myself from Widow's Hill and died", Josette said.

"I had died... turned into a vampire. It wasn't my fault. I wanted to be with you", Barnabas replied.

"I had the fever. I was so alone and you swore that you would be there for me", Sarah said. "I died in pain... alone."

"But I tried... it wasn't my fault", Barnabas sobbed quietly.

"And I died trying to save you", Julia said. "I did so much, always... for you. And you never, ever loved me back!"

"That's not true, Julia. We entered Mephisto's realm... we're here to save you", Barnabas said.

"And I was in danger so often, traveling through time, almost being burned as a witch, Victoria Winters proclamed. "That my body still lives is but a miracle. But when my end comes, it will all be your fault, Barnabas."

"No, it's not true! I loved you... all of you", Barnabas said.

"It's your fault", the women proclaimed again and again. "It's your fault!"

Barnabas listened the accusations and tears ran down his pale face. "No!", he sobbed.

And then the women each produced a wooden stake and rose from their seats.

"What? What is happening?", Barnabas asked as he jumped up. "

"You killed us, Barnabas. Now, we kill you!", Angelique laughed.

All the others laughed with her and started moving towards Barnabas.

He tried to flee, but found his feet unable to move. Barnabas used his strong will to attempt to change into a bat and fly away, but nothing happened. And the women got closer and closer, insanely laughing as they all jumped on the trapped vampire, plunging their stakes whereever they could find a target.

Barnabas screamed in agony and pain as he felt the wooden stakes plunge deep into his body... and then everything went black.

**

Wanda Maximoff, aka The Scarlet Witch found herself sitting in a small house. As she attempted to compose herself, a door flew open and two small boys came rushing in.

"Mommy, mommy, guess what?", one of the boys shouted with a smile as he leaped into her arms.

"What?", Wanda asked as the small boy sat down by her feet.

"Billy and me are going to visit Uncle Pietro and Auntie Crystal on the moon. Daddy said so!", the boy said.

"Pietro and Crystal on the moon?", Wanda asked. "Daddy?"

"Aww Tommy, I wanted to tell her", the other boy said, pouting.

"Come on, Billy. Let's go play", Tommy said, grabbing his brother by the hand and pulling him out of the room.

Wanda watched as the kids vanished into the other room.

"Billy and Tommy... my children", she thought. "But they weren't real. They..."

Wanda's thoughts were interupted as a pair of red arms wrapped themselves around her.

"What's wrong, my darling?", the Vision said as he gave her a kiss on the cheek. "You seem flustered."

"Vision", Wanda said, jumping up. "But you're in your old body... and we're not together anymore. What is going on?"

"My old body? Not together? Don't be silly, Curley-Top", VIsion said with a smile. "Of course we're together. It's not like some multi-national task force disassembled me or anything."

"But they did", Wanda said. "The children, Billy and Tommy, were revealed to be magical creations and you were disassembled by the government. We seperated and then... Oh Lord!"

"But if I was taken apart, wouldn't I be white and bleached out in appearance", the Vision said as he started to change and his body turned totally white.

"Stop! Stop, please!", Wanda began to sob.

"And if our children weren't real, wouldn't they just fade away and vanish forever", the Vision smiled once more.

Wanda looked into the next room where Billy and Tommy were playing and watched as her two children, her two sons, just seemed to melt away.

"No!", Wanda said, jumping to her feet. "I won't let this all happen again. I won't!"

"It's already happened", the Vision smiled. "And it's your fault, my darling!"

"No, it's not!", Wanda said.

"Yes, it is. You let the governments destroy me. You let our children vanish into nothingness. You betrayed the world by joining Magneto. It's your fault!"

"I refuse to deal with all of this again", Wanda said as she pointed at the Vision and cast a hex.

The Vision began to glow and morph and was revealed to be not the Scarlet Witch's former husband, but a red-faced demon pawn of Mephisto's.

"So you've guessed the truth", the demon snarled. "Not that it will save you!"

And with a cackling laugh, the demon pointed at Wanda and a blast of hellfire flew from his fingertips, engulfing the mutant witch.

And Wanda felt herself burning and wracked with pain. And then mercifully, everything went black.

**

Agatha Harkness opened her eyes and glanced around. She was in a large cavern, surrounded by her allies, who also were just beginning to stir.

"A dream. It wasn't real", Agatha said to herself.

"Is everyone OK?", Barnabas asked as he helped Mantis and Dr. Hoffman to their feet.

"What happened?", Quentin asked. "We were trying to escape and then it all went black."

"I was with my children and the Vision, but they weren't real. They were demons", Wanda said.

"Your children?", Agatha asked, concerned.

"This one found herself back in Vietnam... and this one was impaled. But....", Mantis said quietly.

An evil cackling laugh filled the air as Mephisto appeared in a cloud of smoke.

"My oh my, I haven't had that much fun in ages", he laughed. "Making each of you face your fears and dying in the end... Only to be reborn here as my toys and play things."

"How...?", Quentin started to ask, but Wanda cut him off.

"OK, Mephisto, you've had your fun. But now it's time to return us home... or face the consequences!", she said directly at the evil overlord.

"Now why would I want to do that", Mephisto asked with a cackle.

"Are you aware of what my powers can do?", Wanda said coldly. "Not just change probability, but alter reality itself. Now, what would happen if I decided that you shouldn't exist at all?"

"That might be problematic", Mephisto agreed, "but I don't feel like letting you go just yet. Maybe in a few thousand years or so..."

Suddenly a big boom of thunder filled the air and lightning began to flash .

"What the... who dares?", Mephisto bellowed.

"The calvary", Quentin said as he ducked down to avoid a flash of lightning.

And then, in a big blast of energy and lightning, a warp opened up and there stood Thor, along with Captain America, Iron Man, Union Jack, Spitfire, The Black Knight, Firestar and Justice.

"Halt now, foul demon", Thor bellowed as the warp closed. "Tis time for a reckoning!"

"More playmates, I see", Mephisto smiled. "Greetings Asgardian", Mephisto spoke towards Thor. "What brings you to my humble domain?"

"We have come for our allies and friends", Captain America spoke up.

"And thou shalt release them immediately!", Thor added.

"But of course", Mephisto smiled evily. "All you have to do is ask... and get past my demons."

And with that, hundreds of demons of all shapes and sizes descended upon the scene. The heroes quickly assumed battle formations and the war was on.

Meanwhile, the other band of Avengers, led by the Black Widow and Hercules, and consisting of Ms. Marvel, Vision, Dr. Druid, Gargoyle and Kori made their way through a maze of tunnels and caverns, after having been dropped off by Thor.

"Are you sure we're headed in the right direction, Druid?", the Widow asked.

"Yes", Druid replied. "I'm using my telepathic abilities to track Wanda and Quentin, since they're the most normal of the ones captured."

"My sensors are picking up some noise ahead", the Vision said.

"The son of Zeus also hears it. Tis the sound of battle", Hercules said.

"I suggest that we follow the noise", Kori said.

"Sounds like a plan to me", Issac agreed.

"I think our allies got tired of waiting and are breaking out!", Ms. Marvel suggested.

"Let's go find out", the Widow said as the heroes followed the sounds of battle.

But none were prepared for the sight that greeted them as they followed the noise to a large cavern. Full scale mayhem as the Avengers, as well as Barnabas, Agatha, Quentin and Mantis were engaged in battle with Mephisto's demon hordes.

Thor used his hammer to create wind vortexes that sent the demons flying. Captain America and Union Jack were doing their parts in hand to hand combat with the horrific creatures. Spitfire was using her speed to set the creatures up so Justice could use his telekenetic abilities to bash the monsters. Iron Man was blasting the creatures with his repulsor blasts, while Firestar was using her microwave based abilities to decimate the demom ranks. Quentin had assumed werewolf form and was slashing away at the monsters. Wanda was casting hex after hex and Agatha Harkness was casting spell after spell to hold the demons at bay. Barnabas and Mantis had assumed a back to back position to protect Dr. Hoffman, and were tossing the demons away as quickly as they could.

Upon taking note of the battle, Hercules saw his friend, the Black Knight, about to be attacked by a flying creature. Moving quickly , Hercules grabbed the creature by the legs and slammed it hard to the ground.

"Watch thy back, Friend Knight", Hercules said.

"Thanks, Herc", the Knight said.

And the rest of the heroes joined the battle. Druid used his telekenetic powers to slam demons together. Issac used his bio-mystical blasts, while Ms. Marvel just tossed them around. The Vision used his contol over his density to dematerialize part of his arm and plunge it deep into demon after demon, causing them to fall unconcious. Kori used her ice making abilities to enclose demon after demon in giant blocks of ice.

After watching this battle for a while, and observing his demon troops losing to the assortment of heroes, Mephisto finally screamed out, "Stop!"

And the battles ended abruptly as the demons backed off and vanished into the air and various openings around the great cavern.

"Watching you heroes decimate my demon forces is growing boring", Mephisto yawned. "So what do you want?"

"We want our friends", the Black Knight said, stepping forward.

"And Julia... Dr. Hoffman, to go back to the land of the living with us", Barnabas added.

"I don't know", Mephisto smirked. "What's in it for me?"

"Just look at the damage we've caused so far", Druid said. "Can you imagine what this large group could do to your realm if we put our mind to it?"

"And remember what I said about my powers earlier", the Scarlet Witch added. "One hex blast is all it would take."

"That would most likely destroy all of you as well", Mephisto countered.

"It's a risk that I'm willing to take", Wanda said coldly.

"And does thou really think to be able to hold thy son of Odin here?", Thor bellowed. "Do'est thou really think thy haveth the power?"

"You invaded my realm, so I am well justified to defend myself, by whatever means necessary", Mephisto smirked.

"I say thee nay", Hercules interjected. "We came upon a mission to rescue friends and allies from thou foul touch."

"But who's to say that your friends and allies don't belong here? None of them are saints and all have a shady past", Mephisto sneered.

"Listen up", Captain America said. "Maybe we are the trespassers here, but you kidnapped our friends and we're well within our rights to attempt to rescue them."

"Within your rights, according to whom?", Mephisto asked.

"May I say something", Druid said, stepping forward.

"What is it, Mage?", Mephisto snarled.

"Many valid points have been made here. But I wish only to point out one more. Mephisto, how do you think the Olympians and Asgardians will react if you attempt to hold Thor or Hercules here for any length of time? Based on my own experiences, I would think it's very well likely that you would face a full scale invasion from both Asgard and Olympus if you attempted to harm either of them. And as powerful as you are, can you and your realm handle that kind of battle?"

"You speak wisely, Mage", Mephisto said. "And you are correct. A war with the Asgardians or the Olympians would not be beneficial at this time. So I will allow the Avengers and their allies to leave my realm in peace. I shall overlook this invasion as a simple misunderstanding."

"What of Julia?", Barnabas asked.

"We had an agreement", Mephisto smiled. "And she will stay!"

"No...", Julia gasped.

"No, I don't think so", Agatha Harkness said, stepping forward.

"What do you want, witch?", Mephisto sneered.

"The agreement that you had with Dr. Hoffman said that in return for her soul, you would cure Barnabas Collins of his vampirism."

"And I did", Mephisto smiled. "The good doctor just forgot to tell me how long that Barnabas was to remain cured. Her mistake and not mine!"

"But Barnabas was never truly cured", Agatha said. "You failed to live up to your end of the agreement and thus, your hold on Dr. Hoffman is null and void!"

"He didn't drink blood. He was able to walk in the sunlight.", Mephisto said. "I did my part!"

"No, you didn't", Agatha said. "Your deal was to cure him. He was and is still a vampire. That doesn't seem like cured to me."

"I did my part and Dr. Hoffman belongs to me", Mephisto said.

"No, I won't allow it! She comes with us!", Barnabas Collins said.

"And how are you going to stop me from keeping her, vampire", Mephisto sneered.

"On your toes, Avengers. Be ready for anything", Captian America said quietly to his troops.

As the Avengers prepared once more for battle, Issac quickly whispered something to Druid, who nodded and telepathically contacted Agatha Harkness, who also gave a nod and began to quietly whisper.

The air was filled with tension and both sides were wired up, waiting for the others to make the first move.

"I think I've changed my mind", Mephisto smiled. "I think all of you should stay here forever!"

"Stop!", a voice cried out as Dr. Julia Hoffman lept forward. "I'll stay.. I'll stay. Just let everyone else go."

"Julia, no!", Barnabas said as he tried to pull Julia back, but Julia jerked away from him.

"Don't you see, Barnabas?, she cried. "It's the only way."

"But you can't?", Barnabas said quietly.

"I have to", Julia said. And then, she turned to Mephisto and said, "I want your vow. The others go free and you will leave them alone... forever if I give myself totally to you!"

"Very well, Doctor. If they do not mettle in my affairs again, I promise to leave everyone here alone."

"And that includes our friends and families", the Doctor said.

"Very well, if I must", Mephisto scowled.

"Swear it", Julia said.

"I so swear", Mephisto agreed.

"Very well", Julia said as she turned to Barnabas. "Thank you. And never forget me!"

Barnabas started to speak, but Julia put her fingers to his lips. And with a nod, she turned back to Mephisto.

"I'm ready", she said.

Mephisto smiled and waved his hand. Hellfire flew from the skies and engulfed the body of Dr. Hoffman, who was instantly incinerated in a black pile of dust and charcoled remains.

"Julia... no!", Barnabas tried to get to the charred remains, but Quentin and Captain Amercia held him back.

"Thou foul murderer", Thor bellowed as he prepared to throw his hammer at the demon lord.

"Begone, heroes, and never return", Mephisto said as he waved his arms and summoned a warp that pulled the heroes away.

**

And on the grounds in front of Collinwood, the heroes appeared with a flash of light.

Willie Loomis and Jacques came running from the house.

"Barnabas? Quentin? You're all right", he said as he hugged his two friends.

"Mother?", Jacques said as he hugged his mother.

"This one is fine", Mantis replied.

"We're back", Iron Man said.

"Wow, I guess he was ready for us to leave", Ms. Marvel said.

"Is that it?", Kori asked.

""Let's hope so", the Black Knight answered.

"But we lost her! We lost Julia", Barnabas Collins said grimly. "It was all for naught!"

"I wouldn't say that", Druid commented as he walked up to Barnabas. "May I present....?"

And there stood Dr. Julia Hoffman.

"Julia? But how?", Barnabas said as he hugged the red haired lady.

"I'm not sure", Julia said.

"It was Issac's idea", Druid explained. "He suggested that using my powers and Miss Harkness's abilities, we pull a switch and present a doppleganger of Dr. Hoffman to stay with Mephisto, while we escape with the real one."

"But how", Quentin asked as he hugged Dr. Hoffman.

"We figured with so many heroes and bodies to keep track of, Mephisto probably wouldn't notice one more", Issac said. "So I slipped my image inducer that I carry to Julia and it made her look like Tigra."

"And since Mephisto has encountered Tigra before when facing the Avengers, we counted that he probably wouldn't notice if she had been part of the group of Avengers he was facing or not", Druid said.

"You figured that all of us Avengers look alike to him", Union Jack cracked.

"Exactly", Druid smiled. "Meanwhile, Agatha used her magic to summon one of Mephisto's demons to us and transform it into the shape and image of Dr. Hoffman."

"And then Druid used his telepathy to mindlink with and control the demon to make it act like and speak like Dr. Hoffman, to agree to stay with Mephisto in return for setting the rest of us free and vowing to leave us alone from now on", Agatha finished the explanation.

"So thou out-tricked the trickster", Thor smiled. "I like it!"

"Well, it was a risky plan and you should have cleared it with me first", Captain America said with a frown.

"There wasn't time, Cap. And besides, it did work.", Issac said.

"Yes, it did", Cap said. "Good work, Avengers. Good work everyone!"

"But won't Mephisto eventually realize that he incinerated an imposter Dr. Hoffman?", Spitfire asked.

"Maybe", Druid said, "but he himself destroyed the evidence of our ruse, so there's no proof, one way or the other."

"Do you really think he'll keep his vow?", Quentin asked.

"Probably not", Druid said. "But so long as we don't stir the pot and go out of our way to attract his attention, we should be fine."

"So, Dr. Hoffman, what are you going to do now that you're back alive?", the Black Widow asked Julia.

"I'm not sure", Julia said. "How long was I... dead?"

"Almost seven years", Barnabas answered as he walked to her side.

"I'd like to stay here at Collinwood, if that's fine with you, Barnabas?", Julia said.

"I insist on it", Barnabas smiled.

"Dr. Hoffman", Iron Man said as he approached Julia and Barnabas. "No doubt your legal status is going to be a bit confusing for a while, but when you're ready to resume your life, give a call to this number."

Julia looked down at the card that Iron Man had handed her.

"The Maria Stark Foundation?", Julia questioned.

"Let's just say that you're not the first person to return from the dead and the Foundation will be glad to help you re-establish yourself as a living, legal citizen", Iron Man remarked.

"Thank you", Julia said. "I'll contact them."

"All right, Avengers. I've just received a message from Jarvis. Our long awaited visitor from the U.N. has just arrived at the Mansion", Cap said. "So I think we need to be moving on and get back."

"That means that our guest should be arriving in London shortly as well", the Black Widow said. "So we should leave too."

After some more conversation among the heroes, good-byes were quickly said. Agatha and Wanda departed in Wanda's car, headed back towards New York. The Avengers International team caught a ride with the New York based team of Avengers to Avengers Mansion, where they could borrow a Quinjet and return to London, asap.
After all of the visitors had departed, the only ones remaining at Collinwood were Barnabas, Quentin, Dr. Hoffman, Jacques, Mantis and Willie.

"So you're going to continue to stay here for a while, Mantis?", Barnabas asked as the group sat down in the library.

"This one hopes to, if its not an inconvenience", Mantis replied.

"It's definitely not for me", Quentin smiled at the Avenger.

"And what of you, Jacques?", Barnabas asked.

"I'm going to give that school of Xaiver's a try", Jacques answered. "I'm still not sure about the whole thing, but it won't hurt to give it a shot."

"A good education is a necessity in life", Julia commented. "And it might be nice to spend some time around other young people."

"And what of you, Julia Hoffman", Mantis asked. ""Have you made any decisions yet?"

"Well, Dr. Druid gave me an examination before they left and not only is the cancer that had wrecked my body totally gone, but I'm also physically almost twenty years younger than I was when I originally died."

"How is that possible, Julia?", Quentin asked as he joined the group.

"Who knows? When we're dealing with magic and demons and trips to hell, anything is possible", Julia replied. "But it seems I've been given a second chance at life and I intend to make the best of it."

"Will you be resuming your medical practice?", Quentin asked.

"I doubt it", Julia said. "The red tape and legalities involved will be tremendous. But I may focus my attentions on research and science."

"There is no hurry though", Barnabas said as he took Julia's hand. "For now, it's best to just relax and enjoy life."

"That sounds positively wonderful to me", Julia said with a smile.

Willie Loomis walked into the room.

"I've got your room all fixed up nice and pretty, Julia", he said.

"Thank you, Willie", Julia smiled.

"And dinner is ready. I hope ya'll don't mind chinese. With all the confusion and craziness today, I forgot to lay out anything to fix."

"Chinese is fine, Willie", Quentin said as he helped Mantis up.

Quentin, Mantis and Jacques followed Willie out of the library towards the dining room. Julia started to follow, but Barnabas, still holding her hand, pulled her back.

"Welcome home, Julia. Welcome back!", he said.

"Thank you, Barnabas", Julia smiled.

And then Barnabas leaned over and gave Julia a kiss on the cheek.

"What...?", Julia smiled in surprise.

"I missed you", Barnabas said.

And then the sounds of a small child giggling filled the room.

Barnabas and Julia turned and there was Sarah Collins, smiling broadly.

"I'm so happy", she said with a smile. "I love you, big brother!"

And Sarah kept smiling as she vanished from sight.

Barnabas and Julia watched the small ghost vanish and then turned towards the door as Quentin stuck his head inside the door.

"Hey you two, better hurry before Jacques eats all the egg rolls", he said with a smile.

"We're coming", Barnabas smiled as he took Julia by the arm and led her out of the room towards the dining room.

**

A few hours later, in London, the Avengers International team arrived at their headquarters, Avengers Castle.

"We can return that Quinjet to New York in a few days", the Widow said as she stretched while exiting the Quinjet.

"I'm just glad to be home", Sharon Ventura said.

"I think we all are", the Black Knight remarked.

"I'm ready to go crawl into a bed and sleep for a week", Kori said.

"But I thought you were going to watch that Benny Hill marathon with me, Kori", Issac pouted as he exited the Quinjet.

"I'll watch it with you, Issac", Spitfire said. "But I have to call my home first and check on my businesses."

"That will only take a week or two", Union Jack joked.

"And just what are you trying to imply, Joey?", Spitfire asked her masked friend.

"You might only want to check in, but you'll get distracted and be tied up with the business matters all night", Joey said.

"I'm not that bad", Spitfire started to say, but stopped as she caught the eyes of her former beau. "All right, maybe I am, but I can't let things get too far behind."

"You're the boss, Jackie", Issac remarked. "You can do anything you want."

"So what are you up to, Herc?", Sharon asked as the Olympian exited the Quinjet.

"It shall be a night of rejoice and celebration for the son of Zeus", Hercules smiled. "For I shall venture forth and visit yon local taverns and tell of the glory and adventures that are the Prince of Power."

"A night of bar-hopping", Kori said. "Sounds like fun."

"Then mayhaps you should join me in yon adventure", Hercules smiled. "All of thee, my most heroic comrades, should accompany me on my ventures."

"Not me", Issac said. "As I said earlier, Benny Hill awaits."

"Well, I'm in!", Union Jack said. "It should be interesting."

"I'm in", the Black Knight replied. "I'm ready for a night out. How about you, Sharon?"

"Sure", Sharon Ventura replied.

"I've got to go check on my business", Spitfire replied. "Maybe next time though."

"Well, if that offer includes me", Dr. Druid remarked, "I'd be honored to join you."

"Sure thing, Druid", the Black Knight said. "The more the merrier! What about you, Natasha?"

"No, my friends", the Widow said. "I've got paperwork to do and reports to fill out."

Suddenly, the Avenger's Butler, Curtis entered the room.

"Madame Widow, I'm so glad you're back", he said.

"What is it, Curtis", the Widow asked.

"We have a guest", Curtis replied. "A representative from the United Nations."

"They're here?", the Widow said.

"Yes ma'am", Curtis said. "The U.N. Representative is waiting in the Assembly Room and would like to meet all of you just as soon as possible.

"Well, come on troops", the Widow said to her team. "Let's go meet our U.N. watchdog before we head out to do anything else."

The Widow led her team and they quickly headed towards the Assembly room. As the Widow and the other Avengers entered the room, a slender, pale woman wearing fishnets and a black skirt covered with skulls leaped up with a big smile.

"Hi, I'm Abby", she smiled. "You've got some great computers here. Far more advanced than the junk I usually have to work with. Do they sell Caff Pow in England?"

The heroes all looked at each other as this bubbly, goth looking woman smiled at them.

"You're the representative from the United Nations", the Widow asked slowly.

"Oh no, that would be me", a voice carried across the room as a small, elderly woman spun the chair around that had been hiding her small frame from the Avengers line of sight. She stood up and smiled.

"Welcome home, Avengers", the woman said as she stepped around to the side of the table and gazed at each of the heroes. "Mr, Whitman, Miss Romanov, Mr. Christians, Miss Ventura, Dr. Druid, Miss Williams, Lady Crichton, Mr Chapman and Prince Hercules of Olympus. I'm your new liason from the United Nations. My name is Henrietta Lange, but you may call me Hettie. I'm sure we're going to get along wonderfully. Would anyone like some tea?"


The End... for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment