Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Avenging Shadows - Part 24

Meanwhile, far away in a rural village in Africa, the reserve Avenger, Dr. Anthony Druid was sitting at a small table analyzing an artifact that he had discovered in a hidden cave.

"Amazing", Druid thought to himself. "These artifacts date back over three thousand years!"

With great care and precision, Druid used a small brush to remove the dirt and grime that covered the small, detailed piece of masonry.

"Hmmmmm! This looks like a maze of sorts drawn on to the artifact", Druid said to himself as he peered closely to examine the detailed writings and drawings on the prized find.

"There is writing too", he mumbled to himself. "It appears to be Greek or maybe Cretian in form. I'm not sure, but I must attempt to translate it."

Reaching for a small machine provided to him by Stark Industries, Druid thought to himself, "Thank goodness for universal translators and modern technology. If there's a code or recognized language here, this machine that Tony Stark asked me to test out for him shall find it."

WIth great care, Druid scanned the machine over the ancient treasure he had discovered. Within a matter of moments, the machine beeped happily, indicating that it had indeed translated the writings.

Druid read the translation provided by the machine and could feel his eyes growing wider with anxiety.

"If this is true, this is quite a discovery. It looks like an incarnation or chant. And it seems to be a key of some sort. But what is it a key to?"

Druid read over the translation once more and set the object down as he turned to look into his notes for clues to answering the large number of questions forming in his head.

Engrossed in his notes, Druid didn't notice the object begin to slightly move and emit a faint glow. And suddenly, with a loud popping noise and a flash of light, a beam of energy burst forth from the object and from the energy, the shape of a large, cloaked man emerged.

"What the...?", Druid jumped back, surprised from the sudden movement.

"After so many years", the man bellowed, "I am free!"

The man turned and looked towards Anthony Druid.

"And you", he said quietly, "who do I owe the honor of my freedom?"

"I am Dr. Anthony Druid", Druid replied. "And who, may I ask, are you?"

Pulling back the heavy cloak and hood that covered his face, the man revealed a skull-like face and an evil sneer.

"I am the word and the way! I am Bloodscream! And I am your death!"

Bloodscream pointed a bony hand at Druid and a bolt of energy blasted forth towards Druid. Druid moved quickly and leaped out of the way.

"You'll not find me such easy prey", Druid said as he used his telekenesis to cause Bloodscream's cloak to wrap tighly around his body.

"Such parlor tricks will not stop me", Bloodscream yelled as he shot forth blasts from his eyes and easily ripped through the material and narrowly missed Druid, but ripped apart the stone cave walls behind him, leaving a big chasm.

Druid levitated out of the way of the rocks that were flying around the cave.

"If I can stall him for a few moments, I should be able to stun this Bloodscream with a mind blast", Druid thought to himself. "Maybe some illusions will be efficent."

Using his great powers of the mind, Druid caused several images to appear... huge Golden Knights surrounded the cloak-clad bone-faced creature.

"You have defenders", Bloodscream yelled. "But they shall not save you."

Bloodscream cut loose with bolts of energy from his eyes, which quickly dispersed the illusions.

"You attempt to fool me with tricks and illusions", Bloodscream shouted. "Base coward!"

"Whatever works", Druid said as he cut loose with a huge bolt of psychic energy that slammed hard into Bloodscream, making him grab his head in agony.

"Aaaaaauuuugghhh!", Bloodscream shrieked in pain before shooting more blasts of energy in Druid's direction.

Druid moved swiftly and dodged more of the blasts.

"He's too powerful for me to defeat alone", Druid thought to himself. "And I don't have enough energy left for another mind-bolt. I think I'd better call for help!"

Druid reached into his pocket and pulled a small card out and hit several buttons, sending out a distress call on his Avengers communicard while he ducked into a corner, hopefully out of sight of the enraged Bloodscream.

"Don't try to hide, human", Bloodscream sneered. "I want to drink your blood and make you beg for mercy as I end your worthless life!"

Suddenly, Bloodscream turned and sent a big bolt of energy in Druid's direction, causing Druid to drop his card and use his powers of levitation to move out of the way.

"There you are", Bloodscream smiled.

Druid frowned and used his telekenesis to grab several rocks that had been loosened by the battle and propel them at Bloodscream, only to have Bloodscream shatter them with more energy bolts before they could even reach him.

Bloodscream smiled again and sent bolts of energy flying, this time towards the cave ceiling that was directly above Druid. The bolts made contact with the ceiling and it collapsed on top of Druid. Druid tried to use his telekenesis to deflect the rocks, but was too weak and there were too many and was soon unconcious.

Bloodscream stepped up to the pile of rocks that covered the unconcious Avenger. He noticed the small communicard that had fallen to the ground and with a blast of energy from his eyes, destroyed it, leaving only a small charred spot on the ground.

"Do you still live, human", he asked as he looked down at the pile of rocks that covered Druid. "I care not, for Bloodscream is now free and this planet... this world will be mine!"

Without a second thought, Bloodscream walked to the cave entrance and took off, flying up into the sky and into the early evening air.

**

Back at the castle...

The Black Widow stood at the head of the Avenger's meeting table. After reading the e-mail from Nick Fury, she had decided to call a meeting of the team. Within a matter of moments, The Black Knight, Hercules, The Vision, Sharon Ventura, Union Jack, & Issac Christians had all gathered in the vast main assembly room. Spitifre was busy with personal matters involving her role as a member of the House of Lords, while Dr. Pym had chosen to remain in the lab to finish up on some work, but was connected via video screen.

"I'm sorry to bother everyone", the Widow started. "We're not scheduled for a regular meeting for a couple more days yet, but I just finished speaking with Nick Fury."

"If Fury is calling, it must be something pretty big going on", the Knight commented.

"Indeed", Hercules agreed. "Nick Fury is not one for hyperbole!"

"What's going on, Natasha?", Union Jack asked.

"Fury contacted me to let me know that SHIELD intercepted a transmission from Hydra Island", the Widow said. "And one name was prominent. Ultron!"

"What the...??", Hank Pym exclaimed over the video-moniter. "Ultron is dead... destroyed. I destroyed him myself."

"That foul creature has always been the most resiliant of monsters", Hercules said.

"Too damn resiliant", the Black Knight said.

"Does SHIELD think he's back or was he just being spoke of in the intercepted transmissions?", the Vision asked.

"They're not sure", the Widow replied. "But if Ultron is back, you know that he'll be looking for Hank and you, Vision."

"Most likely", the Vision said.

"Wait a second", Issac asked. "I know that Hank originally created Ultron. I saw that in the files. But why the Vision?"

"Ultron is the one who created me", the Vision said. "I was to be used as a weapon against the Avengers, but instead turned on Ultron and helped defeat him."

"So if Ultron created the Vision and Hank created Ultron, that would make Hank the Vision's grandfather... kind of", Union Jack said.

"I never really thought of it that way, but essentially, that would be correct", Hank Pym replied. "But we'll worry about family trees later. Right now, we need to find out if Ultron is back... and if he is, put a stop to him."

"I want everyone to be on full alert", the Widow replied. "I've already sent word to the New York team and the West Coast team."

"So what's the routine for situations like this?", Sharon asked.

"Everyone stay close to the castle and be ready to move on a moments notice", the Knight said.

"Meanwhile, myself and the Vision will work in close coordination with SHIELD and other government agencies to see if we can either confirm or put to rest about Ultron being back", the Widow said.

"I've also got some contacts that may be able to help", Union Jack interjected. "I'll contact them and see if there's any talk or information out there about Ultron or robots in general."

"Do that", the Widow said. "Anyone else have any questions or suggestions?"

"Didn't Hank have a machine that could track Ultron at one point?", the Black Knight asked.

"I did", Hank answered. "But it was destroyed in an attack of the West Coast headquarters by Ultron and the Grim Reaper last year. But I'm sure I could rebuild it fairly easily."

"Dane and I could assist Hank and possibly speed up the production time for that machine", the Vision said.

"Dane can assist Hank", the Widow said. "I want you to get on the computer and see if you can track down any possible sightings and possible targets if Ultron is truly back", she told the Vision.

"Very well", the Vision said.

"Sounds good to me too", The Black Knight agreed. "Is that OK with you, Hank?"

"OK", Hank Pym replied. "Let me finish up with this project that I'm working on... synthenic blood for Barnabas Collins... and then I'll meet you in the work-shop in thirty minutes."

"Fine", said the Knight. "I'll go ahead and get things started."

"So stay close everyone and let's do this", the Widow said. "That's it!"

And with that, the Avengers disassembled and went on to their seperate chores. The Vision went to research the computer files while the Black Knight went to help Dr. Pym attempt to track Ultron. The Black Widow and Union Jack went to check their sources and contacts and seek information.

"Looks like we're the three odd men out", Issac commented as he looked at Hercules and Sharon Ventura, who remained with him in the Assembly room after everyone else had departed.

"So we're what... supposed to just wait around?", Sharon asked.

"I guess", Issac said. "What are you planning to do, Herc?"

"I must take custody of a fearsome beast from SHIELD and prepare for the arrival of my half-sister, Athena.", Hercules said. "Come. The two of you may assist me!"

"Sounds like fun", Issac smiled at Sharon and Herc. "Let's go."

"I guess", Sharon agreed. "This should be interesting if nothing else."

**

In the throne room of the African nation, Wakanda, King T'Challa sat listening to his royal advisor. T'Cheka.

"And exports are up 19% for this quarter", T'Cheka explained.

"Fine", T'Challa sighed. "If you don't mind, let us discuss this later."

"Of course, Your Magesty", T'Cheka said. "At your convenience."

"Yes, thank you", T'Challa responded. "Now, leave me. I have matters to think on."

"By your leave, my Lord", T'Cheka replied as he bowed and exited the room.

T'Challa sat back in his throne. All day, he had a feeling of uneasiness gnawing at him and he felt on edge, as if waiting for something to happen.

One of his messengers entered the room.

"My Lord, we have intercepted a message on an Avengers frequency. It's very weak though", said the young man.

T'Challa quickly flipped a switch on his throne and a communications screen rose up.

"Communications, this is T'Challa. What is the situation?", he asked.

One of his scientists appeared on the screen.

"My King, we have picked up a faint distress signal on an Avengers reserved frequency.", the man said.

"What are the coordinates?", T'challa asked.

A map with the coordinates highlighted flashed on the screen.

"That's the hidden valley", T'challa commented. "Dr. Druid, I believe, was doing some archeological research in that area. Relay this message and the coordinates to the Avengers at both their New York and London headquarters. Tell them that I will check it out personally and attempt to discover what exactly the problem is."

"Yes, Sire", the scientist replied. "Shall we summon the Wakandan Elite Guard to accompany you?", he asked.

"No", T'Challa replied. "It's far better that I do this alone. It may be a false alarm and I can move quicker on my own."

"Very well, My King", the scientist replied.

"Have my mini-quinjet prepared", T'Challa ordered. "I shall leave in twenty minutes."

And T'Challa turned off the moniter and sat back for another moment before getting up and moving quickly to his personal chambers. If an Avenger is in trouble, then the Black Panther shall attempt to aid them.

**

Hercules checked the cage once more.

"Tis secure", he said to his two companions, Sharon Ventura and Issac Christians.

The creature inside the cage, with the cat face and large wings and huge fangs let out a vicious and terrifying roar.

"I think he's getting upset", Issac commented as he watched the pacing animal.

"What kind of creature is this?", Sharon asked.

"We have yet to discover yon creature's origins", Hercules answered. "But hopefully, thy questions will be soon answered."

"I think we have company", Issac said, pointing towards a glimmering light that appeared to be getting closer and closer.

"Alas, tis' my beloved half-sister, the goddess of wisdom, Athena", Hercules smiled.

The three heroes stood in silence as the light came to a halt in front of them and not one, but two figures appeared.

"Hercules, I have heard thou summons and I have come", Athena replied.

"Aye, wise one", Hercules said. "For we have a mystery that has stumped all that call themselves Avengers and innocent souls cry for vengence."

"I will do my best", Athena smiled. "But first, thou must introduce me to your associates. Though I have met many who call themselves Avenger, these two are unknown to me."

"Of course", Hercules said. "These two noble souls are loyal friends and allies to the son of Zeus. This is Issac Christians, also known as The Gargoyle and yon beauty is Sharon Ventura, who also goes by the name of Ms. Marvel."

"It is a pleasure to meet two noble souls and friends of the Scion of Olympus", Athena smiled. "It is an honor!"

"Thank you, Ma'am", Issac replied. "And may I say what a thrill this is for us as well."

"Thank you", Athena smiled.

"Wow", Sharon said. "I used to be fascinated by the stories of Ancient Greece when I was a child and to meet Athena, the real Athena... It's truly an honor!"

"Oh yes, the myths of ancient times", Athena smiled. "I did not always come out quite so well in those stories."

"You were not quite as forgiving or open minded in those days", Hercules smiled. "That may be why."

"Perhaps", Athena smiled.

"And who is yon youth that cowers behind you", Hercules asked, bringing attention to a young lad who stood sheepishly behind the staturistic Goddess of Wisdom.

Athena turned and beckoned the young man forward. He stood tall and approached, bowing to Hercules and the other heroes.

"This is Daniel", Athena commented. "He is the son of a mortal and Diana, Goddess of the Hunt. He has an affinity with creatures of nature."

"So he's a demi-god?", Issac asked.

"He is half Olympian and half mortal", Athena replied. "And he is more than that. He is also what you would refer to as a mutant."

"By the beard of Zeus", Hercules gasped. "We have mutant humans living on Olympus? I had no idea!"

"His father died and he was alone", Athena answered. "Diana decided to bring him to Olympus to raise herself. And...."

"My pardon, Ma'am", Daniel said. "But may I tell my story myself."

Athena nodded in agreement and gave a soft smile towards Daniel.

"My father was a man named Brent Robinson", the young man began. "He was a wonderful man, a great father, who lived a simple life in New England. Roughly about nineteen years ago, fate allowed my father a glimpse of heaven when he met this woman."

"Diana had decided to take a sabbatical from Olympus and was living under a mortal identity", Athena explained.

"My father met this woman, fell in love and they were happy beyond description. A short time later, a child was born... me. And it was what everyone refers to as the American Dream. And this continued for many years. I had an amazing Mom and a fantastic Dad. Mom had her secretive side and we would often find her gazing at the stars with a look of longing and sadness, but she would just smile. Her family, her relatives were "far away" and she never explained much about them. My father assumed that they were probably maffia or something like that, which would explain why Mom never spoke of them."

"Like she was protecting you and your father from them", Issac asked.

"Exactly", Daniel said. "Then about the time I turned twelve, Mom vanished. She was there and said she had to attend to family business and would return shortly, but then vanished for several months... almost a year with no contact and no way of knowing where she was or if she was even alive or dead."

"That was the time that the Titans had attempted to overthrow the gods of Olympus and we were rescued and aided by the Avengers", Athena said.

"I remember that time well", Hercules said. "Myself and the Avengers were in a glorious battle with the Titans and their bethren and 'twas the first meeting between my family of glorious Olympus and my heroic comrades."

"I remember reading about that in the files", Sharon commented. "Battling gods and titans and giants. It's all so amazing!"

"Indeed it was", Hercules remembered. "It twas a battle of epic proportion and truly one of my finer moments."

"But we're getting away from Daniel's story. Please tell us more, son", Issac said.

"Thank you", Daniel said. "We didn't know where Mom was or even if she was alive or dead. But my father and I kept hope and continued with our lives as best we can, just keeping faith that Mom would return to us and we would once again be complete and happy. It was about this time when I started realizing that I could talk to and understand animals. I didn't understand it, but animals would come up to me... wild animals and just start talking to me. And I understood them and what they were saying. And they could understand me."

"Like the movie, Dr. Doolittle", Sharon asked.

"Exactly", Daniel agreed. "I was scared, but also fascinated and excited. I was a young boy, barely a teen, and all of a sudden, I was able to do this amazing thing."

"Most mutant abilities manifest themselves with the onset of puberty", Issac interjected.

"I read the newspapers and researched it on the internet and figured out rather quickly what I was. But it was more than that. I wasn't sure what was happening, but I knew it set me apart from most people and then I began to retreat into myself, missing my mother, feeling awkward around other people...", Daniel said. "So I'm a mutant. It was scary, but I was always different anyhow... perfect health, a high IQ and knack for understanding and comprehension and an affinity for hunting and the moon. My mother always said it was just 'good genes' and I accepted that. But that, plus the new mutant abilities combined really made me feel awkward and alone. My father tried to help and be there for me, but with Mom gone, he was just a shadow of himself. We continued as always and then, after a visit to the doctor, my father realized that he had cancer... and it had spread within his body. He was dead within three months."

"I'm sorry", Sharon said quietly.

"So was I", Daniel continued. "I was alone in the world with no one. No family. I went traveling abroad and lost myself in my studies and in perfecting my ability to communicate and speak with animals. And I began to have dreams. Strange dreams that told me to come home... go back to where I had lived before. I did and there she was... my mother. I was frightened, yet excited. Long story short, we were reunited and after she learned what happened to my father, we mourned together. And then, one day, she told me that it was time for me to meet the rest of my family. She told me who she really was, Diana, goddess of the moon and goddess of the hunt. And that she was of the Olympian Panthenon and that, as her son, I was a demi-god. She took me to Olympus and the rest is, as they say, history."

"Wow", Issac said. "That's quite a story."

"And after meeting this young man and discovering his talent for communications with animals, I invited him to be my ward and help to tend my sanctuary of animals and unusual creatures", Athena smiled.

"And it's quite a job, but I love it", Daniel smiled at his aunt. "I feel complete, like I've found my calling."

"And he does an excellent job", Athena agreed. "I was concerned that young Daniel, being half-mortal, could handle the responsibility, but he has excelled beyond my wildest expectations."

"Tis quite a tale and I, for one, am proud to welcome thou into the family", Hercules said, placing a hand on the young man's shoulders.

"Thank you, sir", Daniel said. "The exploits and adventures of the mighty Hercules are known throughout both earth and Olympus and it's truly an honor to meet you."

"Now that the introductions are complete", Athena said. "Let us see yon creature that Hercules told me of."

"Right this way, Ma'am", Issac said, leading the way towards the cage that held the strange creature that Hercules had subdued.

"Amazing", Athena commented as she approached the creature. "I have never in all my time seen anything quite like this."

"It t'was a fearsome foe", Hercules said. "It slaughtered several persons before I was able to subdue it."

"What do you think, Daniel?", Sharon asked.

"Let me attempt to talk to it", Daniel said as he approached the cage. "Maybe we can learn where it came from and why it killed those people."

"Go ahead", Athena said, "but be careful."

Daniel approached the cage and, careful to stay out of reach of the claws, began to stare at the creature and speak in a quiet, soothing voice to the large creature.

"Do you think he can learn anything by talking to it", Sharon asked as she watched on.

"I hope so", Issac said.

"He is a most amazing and resourceful young man", Athena said. "And it appears that he's making progress already."

All turned and looked and saw that it appeared that Daniel was involved in an animated conversation with the creature. They continued to watch for a few minutes and then Daniel, breaking off from the communication with the creature, moved back into their group.

"He goes by the name Killtor", Daniel began. "He does not remember his origins, but he was in a cage and tortured by men... humans with knives. He escaped and wandered for a time before entering this cave and experiencing a bright light, like the sun. And then he was suddenly in a strange land. He was scared and hungry. He tried to hide and then the hunder became too much so he looked for prey. He saw men who were loud and frightening. He knew it was wrong, but they saw him and tried to hurt him. He attacked and fed. And then fled. It became a routine for him...a matter of survival. Men were weak and easy prey and he was scared. And thus it continued until he was subdued by Hercules."

"So he's what... a genetic experiment that was suddenly transported here from somewhere else?", Sharon asked.

"So it seems", Issac said.

"And those poor souls he slaughtered?", Sharon said.

"He was a wild creature, looking for food and defending himself", Issac said.

"That makes sense", Sharon said. "But it doesn't make it any better for the people he killed."

"We have subdued the creature and we should pursue it's creators. That would give a sense of justice to the victims", Hercules said grimly.

"So what do you suggest", Issac asked, "that we do with this creature?"

"If I may", Daniel interjected, "I think we should be allowed to take him back to Olympus and the sanctuary. He is not evil or of malice. He just did what any wild animal would do... tried to survive."

"I agree", Athena said, "but I will allow the final decision to you, Hercules. We can care for the creature and allow it to live out it's natural life in a peaceful enviroment."

"Aye and aye again. That is the wisest course of action and so be it", Hercules agreed. "But I wish to know more of the creature's land of origin and meet his creators."

"It sounds as if Killtor wandered through a warp of some sort", Sharon said. "Daniel, can you speak to him again and try to figure out where this warp might be?"

"I can try", Daniel said. "He was upset and scared, but he's calming down now. I believe he just wanted someone or something to communicate with or to."

"Then speak to him again", Hercules said. "And then, thy creators of the creature and the son of Zeus shall have a reckoning."

The heroes waited again for a short time while Daniel spoke to the creature. And then, after a brief farewell, Athena, Daniel and the creature all vanished in a ball of light, transported to the heavens that are Mount Olympus.

"At least we don't have to worry about that creature anymore", Issac said.

"Amen to that", Sharon said.

"The creature will be well cared for", Hercules agreed. "And we will continue to seek it's creators. And vengence will be served."

**

T'Challa, The Black Panther, cautiously approached the site where his staff had traced the signal from the Avenger's communicard. It was a campsite, obviously abandoned and whoever had been staying here had been doing some archelogical work in a small cave that was nearby. T'Challa knew of this land immediately. It was mentioned in Wakanadan legend as a place of great evil and a place to be avoided. T'Challa knew that the Avenger who had attempted to send the message was Dr. Druid, who was also an explorer and archeologist, as well as being a mystic. T'Challa only knew Druid through his reputation and had met him only once in passing, but Druid's reputation was that of a man of power and T'Challa knew that if anything was powerful enough to subdue the mage, then it was something to be very wary of.

The Panther pulled out his own Avengers communicard and quickly relayed his location and information to his home base in Wakanda, where it would be passed on to the various Avengers teams. He moved cautiously around the campsite looking for clues to Druid's whereabouts. His heightened senses were on alert as The Black Panther moved around the campground once more before approaching the cave where he sensed Druid had been just a few hours earlier.

Moving silently and quickly as the giant cat that was his namesake, T'Challa moved into the cave and quickly scanned the area. It was obvious to him that some kind of battle had taken place here. Then with his keen eyesight, T'Challa spotted the charred remains of the communicard that had been burned into the ground. The Panther continued to study the area and heard a very slight moaning noise.

T'Challa moved quickly, following the noise to a mound of rocks that he could tell had recently fallen. The noise, the moaning, was coming from underneath the rocks. T'Challa worked quickly and started carefully moving the rocks and soon uncovered the very sore and bruised body of Dr. Druid, who was still unconcious. Moving Druid free from the rubble, T' Challa examined his fellow Avenger for injuries and attempted to help him recover.

"What happened?", Druid replied groggily as he began to come around.

"Rest easy, my friend", T'Challa replied. "You are safe!"

"Who...?", Druid asked. "The Black Panther. Then the Avengers are here?"

"It's just I for the moment", T'Challa answered. "I received your signal in Wakanda and decided to investigate. I expect that the other Avengers will be here shortly though. What happened?"

"I'm not sure", Druid said. "I had discovered a small artifact that had some writing. I translated the encription and must have accidentially opened a portal of some sort, for this... creature who called himself Bloodscream appeared. We fought and, obviously, I ended up on the worst side of things."

"I don't recall the name Bloodscream", the Panther replied. "But it sounds as if you accidentially opened a cage or prison of some sorts that held this Bloodscream captive. What happened to him?"

"After we fought, all I remember is being crushed by that collapsing ceiling. I managed to get up a telekenetic shield at the last second to avoid being crushed or hurt seriously, but it still knocked me unconcious. I suspect he thought me dead and fled the area", Druid replied.

"He must be found", the Panther said.

"I agree", Druid said, pulling himself up.

Druid stood up slowly and noticing something laying amid the rubble, moved over and picked up a small object.

"This is the artifact that obviously held Bloodscream", Druid said. "I'll bring it along. It may be useful in stopping that creature."

"Are you well enough to travel?", the Panther asked.

"I'm sore and bruised", Druid replied. "But I'll live."

"Let us go then and attempt to track this Bloodscream", the Panther said. "We can summon the Avengers to meet us along the way."

"Very well", Druid replied.

And with that, the Black Panther and Dr. Druid set out, attempting to follow the trail and track the entity known as Bloodscream.

No comments:

Post a Comment