Monday, December 19, 2011

Hidden Treasures - December 19, 2011

I have to admit that I'm a slight bit of a packrat. If something means something to me and has some value in my eyes, I keep it. Simple as that. And every so often, I'll go digging around and find a lost treasure, something that I've forgotten about. And it's pretty damn cool.

I was digging through some old boxes of stuff and found an old metal box, complete with lock and key. It's one of those security type boxes that you can stash important papers and guns in and hide under your bed. I had forgotten I even still had this thing.

And I started to go through it and plunder and got to thinking, this might make a good blog. Or it might not. But I'm going to give it a shot anyhow and just list the items that find and maybe talk about some of them. I'm taking a trip down memory lane. This should be fun.

A note from my 10th grade Latin class that was going back and forth between myself and Resa, the young lady I was seeing at the time. Well, not quite at that time. We had broken up as friends, or at least I think we had. But I've still got this note and we had quite the coversation going back and forth to occupy our time. Far better than learning, Latin anyhow.

A couple of letters from my sister, Lynn from when she lived in Pilot Mountain, NC in 1991.

A letter from my friend, Kever, from when he was in jail (1999) and a reciept for $147.30 from November, 1989. I can't remember what the reciept is actually for, but that was a lot of money, especially for then.

Here's another note from Resa from high school and several more letters from Kever and another old acquantance, Chris Dial. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Wow! A TV remote from somewhere. I think it came from Scotland Inn back in the late 80's, but I'm not sure.

A letter from my friend, Donna telling me that she wanted to set me up with a friend of hers.

A small political card thingy for Eddie Knox for Governor. This came from 1984. Eddie lost the primary race to Rufus Edminston.

A poem that was written by my friend Rabbit, about what love is. Pretty cool to see this. I'll have to send it to Rab one day.

More letters from Kever, Chris Dial and my # 1 Coolie of all time, TMA.

The Owner's Manual to a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder Pick-Up... the first (and only to date) new car I've ever bought. That truck was so cool and had such a distinct personality. I called it "The Reaper!"

A letter that I wrote to my Dad, but never mailed. I wrote it in 1995, probably six months or so before he died. We had been estranged and had not spoken regularly for a couple of years prior to this and I was going to attempt to break the ice and try to put things back together, but for some reason I never mailed it. Almost nine pages of hand-written letter and he never got to see it. I wish he had because by the time I actually got to see him and the last time I spoke to him, he was sick and so ill, he wasn't even aware of who I was. I've still got my letter. I'd rather have my Dad.

A letter from my friend, William Huff, dated April 11, 1975. He was my best friend when I was 8 years old, then he and his family moved to California and I never saw him nor his sister, Rosalie again. I wonder if I could find either him or his sister on the Facebook now? He would be about 44. I should try. But I've got this letter that's 36 years old. That's something.

A "Good-Bye" card from Resa, an Easter card from Angela and a Christmas card from Donna. These are all from 1982 - 83.

Several more notes from high school and Resa that we did back and forth in Latin class. No wonder I never learned how to speak Latin very well. All I did was pass notes.

Here's a letter from my Grandma Vick from January 3, 1991. She had moved out to Phoenix, AZ by this time and was either 94 or 95 years of age at this point of her life. She was an amazing and strong woman and so very unique and special and always fiesty. She never slowed down and lived to be, I believe, 102 years of age.

Here's a copy of my Birth Certificate. I've got mine so I guess I can run for President now? I also have some playing cards, some "Spider Man" cards, and a page with the lyrics for "Dream On" by Aerosmith on it.

Here's a cassette tape with no markings to identify what songs are on it. Probably one of my infamous mixed tapes that I used to make so often when I was bored or at work. I'll play it later.

I've got a small pocket sized calculator, a pencil and many more playing cards. And here's a letter to my friend, Mike Youngblood from some kid in Califormia who wanted an autograph and a signed picture from February, 1995. I remember this one. I answered it for Mike and had him (Michael) sign several pictures and sent the kid one. Back in those days, I frequently was stuck with answering any fan mail Michael got and taking care of it for him. I didn't mind.

Here's a newspaper clipping from 1984 where Mike Von Erich was reported being admitted to the hospital in Dallas, TX for an unspecified infection. He was later diagnosed as having suffered Toxic Shock Syndrome and his slow recovery from this illness eventually factored in his suicide a few months later. Sad!

A name tag from Nic's Pic Kwik where I worked there from 1987 - 1991. Wish I could go back there now.

My name-tag from Jimmy's Seafood House. I worked there from 1984 - 1986 as a dishwasher and then cook.. It was a wild place to work and loads of fun.

And finally, we have a sports-watch that doesn't work and a small... I'm not sure what this is. It's an artisitic creation made of colored popsicle sticks and glue. I think it may have been a stage or platform for my little GI Joe Guys, but I'm not sure. I just know I made it and it's very bright and colorful.

And there you go. I've reached the bottom of the box and all that's left are a few more half pencils and a few more letters from TMA, Kever and Chris. I'm mainly loving these old notes that used to be passed around in high school. I'm reading them and I can hear the voices in my head and see our young teenage hoodlum selves passing the notes and thinking we were so clever and so smart.

It's a nice memory.

I think I'm going to try and find Resa and William on the computer. Wish me luck. And I'll see ya'll on the go-round.

Ubuntu!

No comments:

Post a Comment