Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Playlist: Dougie's Top Five Favorite Songs - December 28, 2011

Everyone has their favorite songs and musical artists. While other songs may attract your attention or you may see a video of a person and go, "hey, they look pretty cool", most of us have one or two people that we always keep going back to again and again when the flavor of the month gets old and boring.

For me, my "Big Six" who I keep returning to time and time again are Alice Cooper, Waylon Jennings, Sublime, Jessi Colter, Frank Sinatra, Rickie Lee Jones and of course, Soce the Elemental Wizard.

I listen to all types of music, depending upon my mood, the company I'm in and whatever just happens to pop up on my music jukebox, which contains over 1100 songs and I usually just set to shuffle and let it go.

What I want to do here and now is just give a small sampling of a few of the songs that I always go back to and listen to again and again, and even after so many years and hundreds, if not thousands of listens, the songs still sound good to me and move me and still have that magic going on. This is just my opinion and if I did this same type of list for ten days in a row, I'd probably have ten completely different lists. But these are the ones that come to mind right here and now and if I had a chance to play radio DJ for the entire world, these are the songs I'd choose. Plus I'm bored and feel like writing something that doesn't have anything to do with wrestlng for a change. So I'm giving everyone a list of the five songs that consistently echo in my head and I turn to when I just want some good tunes. So here you go...

PLAYLIST: DOUGIE'S TOP 5 COOL SONGS (for this week anyhow)...

5) Mr. Bojangles - Sammy Davis Jr.

The cool thing about this song, which is one of Davis's signature tunes along with "The Candy Man" is that he didn't want to record it at first. The song, about a dancer in the later years of his life who just can't dance anymore is not something that Davis wanted to think about. But he did record it and like every song that Sammy did, he put his heart and soul into it 150%. He sang the song and towards the end of his life, he lived the song. And everytime he stepped on that stage to entertain, he was the song. And while other people have recorded versions of this song, nobody ever did it any better.



4) Sexy Eyes - Dr. Hook

This song makes the list because, in my case, it's so damn true. I've had quite a history over the years with several people and the one common trait has always been the eyes. They get me in trouble every single time and I wouldn't change a thing. I don't care about looks or size or income or religion or status or race - I just want to see some sexy eyes and I'm hooked. Happens every single time.



3) Bertha Butt Boogie - The Jimmy Castor Bunch

I first heard this song almost forty years ago and although I was but a small lad, I liked it and thought it was cool. I rediscovered it in a stack of old 45rpm records in the late 80's and it was still funny and cool. And now, I hear it and guess what? I still like it and still think it's cool. The Jimmy Castor Bunch was sort of bluesey, a bit of funny comedy and just some damn good tunes all rolled into one package. And Bertha Butt and the Troglodyte, along with Leroy of course, made an impact and cemented their place in music history.



2) Numbers - Bobby Bare

We've all done it - sat with our friends and graded each person that walked by on a scale of 1-10. Don't say you haven't because you know you'd be lying. This song, which came out in the late 70's, written by Shel Silverstein and sung by Bobby Bare, takes the whole concept and just runs with it. It's funny, entertaining and a great song to do karaoke to. And on a scale of 1 - 10, this song, for country music fans anyhow, is a definite "9"... and that's only cause there ain't no "10"...



1) Perfect Day - David Bowie & Friends

Written by Lou Reed and performed by such artists as David Bowie, Iggy Pop , Bono and Pavorotti, it's just a simple song with a simple message - being with the one you love makes it a perfect day. I first heard this song about three years ago, although its been around for a while. And I liked it. And you will too.



And there you go. Five new songs to go listen to. Maybe you've heard them before and maybe not, but it's good listening and good music. And I like it. I'm out of here so ta ta for now.

Ubuntu!

No comments:

Post a Comment