Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tossing Salt - Worldwide News: December 10, 2011

Tossing Salt - Worldwide News
December 10, 2011
Doug Maynard

It's Saturday and I'm back again. Maybe this time I'll even address more than one subject, unlike my previous column (yesterday) where all I did was talk about the upcoming WWE Legend's House television show. I might even make it up to two or three items of discussion this time. Who knows? I guess you'll have to stick around and see. By the way, I'm Doug and this is "Tossing Salt - Worldwide News", also known as "Pro Wrestling's Most Eclectic Column Since 2003". Yeah, I've been doing this for a while. Maybe one day, I'll even be good at it. Who knows?

So what's on the agenda for tonight? I know I've got predictions for a big time pay per view that's coming up on Sunday and nobody will watch called TNA Final Resolution. Let's go ahead and get that out of the way. Hit it monkeys...

TNA Final Resolution PPV Predictions...

TNA Impact World Championship - Thirty Minute Iron Man Match
Bobby Roode (c) versus AJ Styles

I have no doubt that this will be a good match from start to finish. Roode and AJ are two of the most talented performers in TNA and rarely have bad matches even when up against talentless dweebs. Against someone who can really rock and roll, and both of these men surely can, the fans should be thoroughly entertained and happy. But no matter how good AJ is, it's not going to be a steller night for the Georgia native. It's far too soon for TNA to take the World Championship away from Roode. You know it. I know it. And TNA knows it. So expect AJ to score about a million and a half two counts and come ever so close, but when that final bell rings, it'll be Bobby Roode walking away as the TNA Impact World Champion.

Winner and STILL TNA Champion: Bobby Roode

TNA X-Division Championship
Austin Aries (c) versus Kid Kash

I expect that this will probably be the match of the night for this show. Aries has really came into his own since coming to TNA and he's been remarkable in helping to re-establish the X-Division into what it used to be. Kid Kash is also am amazing talent and in my opinion, probably the best pure heel, arguably after Aries, in TNA right now. This is going to be a battle of wits and sneakiness as much as it is wrestling moves and I have no doubt that both Kash and Aries will be attempting to steal the show. And in the end, because it's just not the right time to change the title, Aries walks out with his arm raised in the air as the victor.

Winner and STILL X-Division Champion: Austin Aries

TNA World Tag Team Championship
Matt Morgan & Crimson (c) versus Devon & D'Angelo Dinero

Does anyone really think that Devon and The Pope stand a chance here? I don't either. Look for the junior Devon's (his kids) to get involved and we'll see Morgan and Crimson take advantage of the distraction and lay the "Not Even Close To Being Dudley Boys" out cold to retain their titles.

Winners and STILL TNA World Tag Team Champions: Crimson & Matt Morgan

TNA Knockouts Championship
Gail Kim (c) versus Mickie James

At least this should be a good and competitive match by the ladies of TNA, unlike their peers up North who wrestle for three minutes, only allowed three moves each and show more air than a hot balloon race. Gail and Mickie are both talented women who can actually wrestle. I'm sure that we'll get other Diva involvement into the match, including Karen Jarrett and Madison Rayne. And we'll get shenanigans with the referee. Earl Hebner lives for that kind of stuff. And in the end, Mickie will come just so close, but Gail will snatch victory from the jaws of defeat with a little move called "De' Feet!". And Gail retains her title.

Winner and STILL TNA Knockouts Champion: Gail Kim

TNA Television Championship
Robbie E (c) versus Eric Young

I remember the days when a Television Championship meant something. ECW with the legendary RVD as champ. WCW with Arn Anderson, Lord Steven Regal, Tully Blanchard or Bobby Eaton as champ. And now, we have matches for the TNA TV Title and our champion and challengers are Robbie E and Eric Young? I have to say that I am not impressed. One is a bad wrestler who looks like a Jersey Shore goof and the other is a semi-decent comedy wrestler who hangs out with real Jersey Shore goofs. This must be the designated bathroom break match for the show because just thinking about it makes me feel like crap. Since I've got every other champion retaining their title, this will be the one that has the title change hands. Why? I don't know! But look for Eric Young to get the pin and win the title.

Winner and NEW TNA Television Champion: Eric Young

Cage Match
Jeff Jarrett versus Jeff Hardy

And here we have the match of "1000 Stipulations!" It wouldn't be a TNA PPV otherwise. If Jeff Hardy wins, he's getting a future shot at the TNA Impact World Championship. If Jeff Jarrett wins, then Jeff Nero Hardy leaves TNA. Karen Angle will be at ringside and she'll be handcuffed to Sting and I have absolutely no idea why since Karen generally doesn't get involved in Jeff (Jarrett's) matches anyhow. If there weren't all these stipulations, this might be a little harder to decide upon, but we all know that Jeff Hardy is not leaving TNA forever. He's the big merchandise money man for the company. And since Jeff (Hardy) isn't leaving, that means that Hardy wins and Jarrett loses and we get to hear Double-J and Karen whine for the next several weeks.

Winner: Jeff Nero Hardy

Kurt Angle versus "Cowboy" James Storm

This is a little better. No crazy stipulations to make sure that one person can't win. This one can easily go either way. It's just a matter of who needs it more. Storm really hasn't won a match since he defeated Angle for the TNA Championship last month. He suffered a concussion and has been out of action so he needs a win far more than Kurt does. Kurt is big enough and established enough that he can lose almost every match and it doesn't matter. So I'll predict a great back and forth match and in the end, it will be the Cowboy James Storm standing tall over the Olympic Gold Medalist and saying those magic words, "Sorry about your damn luck!".

Winner" Cowboy" James Storm

Christopher Daniels versus Rob Van Dam

Maybe it's just me, but RVD has really looked sloppy (sloppier than usual) and downright lazy in the ring as of late. RVD has never been a great, tight wrestler, but his larger-than-life aura and personality have already made up for what he lacks in the ring. But lately, everytime I see RVD perform, it looks like he's just there and going through the motions. Daniels, on the other hand, always seems to be on his toes and crisp in the ring. Since the feud with AJ Styles seems to be have put on the backburner by TNA for now, "The Fallen Angel" is looking for a major name to go back and forth with for a while. As to who should win this match, let's just flip a coin and go smoke a fatty in RVD's honor, but that's all the honor he's going to get. This match goes to the "Fallen Angel".

Winner: Christopher Daniels

And there you go. My predictions for the TNA Final Resolution PPV on Sunday. And the sad thing is that more people will probably read this column than will actually watch that PPV. Too close to Christmas and a big time throw-away show by TNA. There is nothing here that is must-see and I know I won't be wasting my time or money buying this event. Just go on the internet and follow the action there. Just as good and much, much cheaper.

And now, I'm going to do a wrestling fan survey that was sent to me a few days ago by a long time friend and wrestling fan by the name of Vince Phillips. Doesn't that sound just groovy? Of course it does. And Hornswoggle should release a rap album too. (Yes, that is sarcasm.) It's short and sweet, but it makes great filler so here you go. Enjoy.

1.How long have you been a Wrestling Fan?

For as long as I can remember. My older brothers and sisters used to take to me to see the weekly live shows at the Dorton Arena in Raleigh, NC when I was barely able to walk and I grew up watching stars like Wahoo McDaniel, Ric Flair, Blackjack Mulligan, Ivan Koloff, Paul Jones, The Andersons and so many others each and every week. And I was hooked from day one. That's been well over forty years now.

2.What got you into Wrestling?
I think I answered that in the last question.

3.What was the first Wrestling match you saw?
I have no idea. But the first match I can remember seeing live that really stood out and made a major impression in my youthful mind was the legendary Brute Benard (look him up) against "The Dean Of Professional Wrestling" Johnny Weaver, in Raleigh, NC at one of the Tuesday night shows. I think I was maybe five years old.

4.Who is your favorite Wrestler?
Of all time or current active stars? Of all time, it would be Harley Race, Ric Flair,. Blackjack Mulligan, The Masked Superstar, Jamie Noble, Larry Zbyszko and Arn Anderson. Of current wrestling stars, the top guys on my list would be CM Punk, The Miz, Juventud Guerrera, Ethan Storm and a local Indy Tag Team called BD Productions. And a man named Hunter Holtzclaw who is just too damn sexy for words to describe. I want to rock his world!.

5.What is your favorite Wrestling Company? I grew up with the NWA and Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (Jim Crockett Promotions), but unfortunately, the NWA is a shell of what it once was and Crockett is out of business. So be default (mainly because it's the only true big time international company left), the WWE gets the nod. Also, a small but damn good group from here in North Carolina called "American Championship Wrestling".

6.Favorite Wrestling Tag Team|Faction|Stable? My favorite tag team of all time is The Midnight Express (Eaton and Lane). My favorite faction is the infamous Four Horsemen, but I do have to admit a soft spot for The Dangerous Alliance as well.

7.Who is your favorite Female of Wrestling? Anyone who knows the slightest thing about me already knows the answer to this one. Lisa "Ivory" Moretti, my one true love and beloved. No one else even comes close.

8.What's your favorite Wrestling finisher? Either the claw (as used by Baron Von Raschke or Blackjack Mulligan) or the Cobra (as used by Masked Superstar).

9.How often do you watch Wrestling shows? Every Monday night for sure and occasionally on Thursday and Friday for Impact and Smackdown if there's nothing better to do.

10.What is the greatest wrestling match you've seen? I don't know if it's the greatest, but my favorite match of all time came from a Clash of the Champions event and pitted The Midnight Express (Eaton and Lane), accompanied by Jim Cornette against The Horsemen (Ric Flair & Barry Windham), who were accompanied by J.J. Dillion. After that, my other favorite match was on WCW Saturday Night with Larry Zbyszko taking on Lord Steven Regal for the WCW TV Title.

11.Favorite match stipulation? I'm not a big fan of gimmicks or crazy stipulations so I'll go for something simple and to the point - how about a good old fashioned street fight.

12.Have you ever been to a live Wrestling event? I've been to literally hundreds of Indy wrestling events and several WCW shows back in the 90's. I have yet to make it to a live WWE or TNA event though so that's on my future agenda.

13.What is your favorite wrestling manager? Of all time, it's got to be Gary Hart. The man just did an amazing job. And following closely behind Hart would be Woman (Nancy Benoit), Sir Oliver Humperdink and Jim Cornette.

14.If you were a manager, who would be your top star? If I had the chance to be a wrestling manager for the WWE and could bring in who I want for my stable (which I wouild model after the Dangerous Alliance, it would be Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin, Chris Masters, Ethan Storm, Mike Knox and Lisa "Ivory" Moretti as my co-manager.

15.Did you want to be a wrestler when you grew up? I wanted to be either a wrestler or a writer. And as I got older, I found a great compromise. I write about wrestling. So there you go.

And I'm going to end this right here. I'll be back in a few days with a brand new column, "Wrestling Fact or Fiction", along with my tag team partner, Russell Jackson, so look for that. Questions and comments can be sent to Doug28352@yahoo.com. Go check out my blog-site at www.tsfiction.blogspot.com. There's something for everyone, no matter what your interests are. I'm talking wrestling, politics, fictions, surveys and so much more. It's all things Dougie - check it out too.

I'm Doug and I'm out of here. Until the next time, support your local indy's and thank you for being a fan.

Ubuntu!

1 comment:

  1. hey there Doug...i'm all for us bein a tag team, but we need a good tag team name for us...any suggestions? *raises eyebrows* lol

    ReplyDelete