Friday, November 18, 2011

Family Ties (Dark Shadows / WWE Crossover Fic) - Part 8

**Interlude - Stamford, CT **

Victoria Winters McMahon sat at her desk at WWE HQ, overseeing a layout for an upcoming edition of WWE Magazine.

"Several pages comparing the greatest battles of Santino versus the greatest battles of the Honky Tonk Man - a Honk-A-Meter update", Victoria thought to herself. She made a note to have Santino look over the layout and provide some comments about HTM's matches and also
to double-check with Vince about trying to get Honky Tonk Man to provide a guest editorial."

Vickie sighed as she pushed the material aside and leaned back in her chair. She loved her job with the WWE and her family, The McMahons, but sometimes the work was so monotonous and boring. And she couldn't stop thinking about Barnabas. Ever since Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, the Matriach of Collinwood, had called her to inform her that Barnabas has returned, he was all that was on her mind. She had thought that segment of her life was over now. Barnabas had been cursed, but he had been cured. Then he vanished. And then he was cursed again, but was back. Victoria loved Barnabas dearly, but had moved on over the past thirty years. She wanted to see him, but her work duties had prevented her from going to Collinwood immediately.

"No, that's wrong" Vickie thought to herself. She was part of management. Her family owned the company. She could have left as soon as she learned about Barnabas's resurrection. Vince and the whole family were notorious workaholics, but they understood that family comes first. And though the McMahon's were her family now...

"The illegitimate daughter of Jess McMahon.... what a legacy and standing", Vickie thought.

... The Collins were her family for so many years. And Barnabas was her one true love. She had often spoken of him to Vince and Linda, and although she had left out some details, such as the vampirism and lust for blood, her strong feelings and love for Barnabas were never in question to them. They would understand. Then why? Why did she put over heading over to Collins Port and Collinwood and seeing Barnabas? Why wait until this weekend? Was it a sense of foreboding that he wouldn't be what she expected. Or maybe, to be honest, he would be disapointed in her. She wasn't a young lady anymore. Barnabas was immortal and didn't age. She was nearly sixty years old. And although she looked a good twenty years younger (clean living, plenty of exercise, and good genes, it seems), that would definitely make a difference.
She couldn't expect Barnabas to fall in love with her again. And was she still in love with Barnabas? There was a big difference between the 19 year old Governess who had been hired back in 1967 to manage a small child, and the strong and powerful woman she had become over the years, first as a best selling fiction writer and then as an executive with the WWE.

"Vickie?", a voice rang out, snapping Vickie out of her thoughts and back to reality.

Vickie looked towards the source of the sound and standing in the doorway of her office was WWE President (and Vickie's sister-in-law), Linda McMahon.

"Linda... hi!", Vickie said.

"Am I interupting?", Linda asked.

"No", said Vickie. "I was just going over these layouts for the magazine and the spread on Santino...."

"Looks like you were deep in thought", Linda said.

"Yes, that too", admitted Vickie.

'Care to talk about it?", Linda asked.

"No... Yes... I don't know", Vickie stammered.

"I think you do. If you don't my saying, you've been distracted since you received that phone call from your friends, the Collins, a couple of weeks ago."

"When Elizabeth called me to tell me that Barnabas was alive again... and a vampire... and back", Vickie thought to herself.

"And since then, you've seemed as if you've carried the weight of the world on your shoulders. Sometimes you're fine and at other times, it's like you're a million miles away."

"I'm sorry, Linda. I hadn't realized it'd been so noticable", Vickie said.

"Well, Vince hasn't noticed anything, but I think sometimes it would take a cinder block on his head to make him notice anything that isn't related to the company or his beloved sports-entertainment", Linda said. "But I've noticed.. and Pat (Patterson) noticed as well. We're worried about you."

"Don't be, please". Vickie said. "I'm quite all right."

"Do you want to talk about it?", Linda asked?

" I don't want to be any kind of burden", Vickie said.

"Listen Vickie", Linda said. "You're no burden. How many times have you listened to me ramble on and on about Vince, about Shane and Stephanie, about everything under the sun?"

"I never mind", Vickie said.

"And I don't mind either", Linda said. "We're family, and more importantly, we're friends. You've been a blessing and godsend to this family ever since the day Ivory suggested that there might be a family connection of some sort with you and Vince. I know we were a bit hesitant to accept you at first."

"Which is only natural. How many imposters attempt to pose as parts of this family every day?"

"Quite a few", Linda admitted. "But we put together the pieces of the puzzle and did the DNA and there is no doubt, you are the daughter of Vincent J. McMahon. You're Vince's sister and that makes you my sister as well. We may not always seem to be on the same page or play it on television."

"That's for sure", Vickie laughed.

"But I doubt that you'll find fewer families as close or tight as this one. What hurts one hurts us all. And if you're hurting Vickie, I want to help."

"But it's so confusing.. and complicated", Vickie said.

"Matters of the heart always are", Linda said. "Maybe a fresh perspective is all you need to put things into their place. Or maybe just a chance to talk?"

"Do you have time", Vickie asked? "It's hard to explain."

"I'm the President of the company. And you're an executive Vice-President. We're the bosses. We always have time."

Linda picked up the phone and made a quick call to her assistant.

"Marsha, this is Linda. Please cancel all of my appointments for the rest of the day. And Vickie's too. We're going out for lunch and won't be back for the rest of the day."

Linda hung up the phone.

"All free", she laughed.

"Linda, you didn't have to do that", Vickie said.

"But I did. And now, grab your jacket because we're going to lunch and to talk. I hope you like seafood."

"I love it", Vickie said. "But I don't know if I'm ready to talk."

"Then we'll sit in silence and enjoy an afternoon away from this madhouse and a fine meal", Linda said. "Are you ready?"

After a moments hesitation, Vickie grabbed her jacket as the two ladies headed out the door of her office. Briefly stopping in Linda's office to grab her jacket, the two ladies quickly made their way down to the parking garage, and after ducking into a stairwell to avoid an irrate Vince McMahon, who stormed by, screaming at Sgt. Slaughter and Gerald Brisco about declining ratings..

"He's always like this lately on Tuesdays after the RAW ratings come in. That's another reason I wanted to slip away for a while", Linda said.

"I don't blame you", Vickie agreed. "When Vince gets wound up, it's best to just avoid him as much as possible."

"Easier said than done sometimes", Linda smiled. "He's an ogre sometimes, but I still love the grouch."

Both ladies laughed and finishing making their way to the far end of the garage and climbed into Linda's car.

"I'm so glad you're coming out with me", Linda said. "We hardly ever get to spend time together unless it's dealing with business. It's nice to just be able to talk and get away from the distractions for a while."

"I agree", Vickie said. "And I do want to talk. It might help me greatly, but I'm not sure where to begin."

"Just start where you feel most comfortable", said Linda.

"Well", started Vickie hesitantly. "You'll probably think I'm crazy, but.... do you believe in vampires?"

***

Several hours later...

Linda McMahon and Victoria Winters McMahon were sitting in one of New York's finest seafood resturants after several hours of conversation.

"You shouldn't have hung up on Vince like that", Vickie laughed to Linda. "He's going to be irate when you get home."

"He had to fly out to Norfolk for the Smackdown tapings tonight, so I won't have to deal with him until tomorrow morning", Linda smiled. "And I had no desire to hear about his latest plans for Randy Orton and Candice Michelle. He can ramble to Stephanie about that. I'm on the management side of the company and not the creative division."

"But that's Vince. I remember, just after he insisted I join the company, that he trapped me in my office for several hours to complain about Paul Heyman's ideas to promote Stevie RIchards."

"I remember", Linda said. "I felt so sorry for you then. Vince was in rare form and Paul always did bring out the worst in him."

"You felt sorry for me, but I didn't see you attempt to come in and rescue me from Vince's tirade either?"

"Actually, I was thinking better you than me", Linda laughed.

Vickie laughed too and the two ladies leaned on each other for support.

"So what do you think?", Vickie asked Linda, her face and tone growing serious.

"I'm not sure what to think", Linda said. "Stories about curses and vampires. It's hard to believe.."

"But it's all true. Every single bit of it", Vickie interjected.

"I don't doubt you", Linda said. "It's just hard to digest, but I've seen so many odd things in my years with Vince, and even before..."

"I'm not crazy", Vickie said.

"No, you're definitely not that", Linda said. "You're an amazing lady and a good friend and to think of what you've endured.. and witnessed."

"Please don't tell anyone of what I've told you. Everyone will think I'm crazy."

"I don't think so. This is the WWE, where anything can happen... and usually does. And let me tell you, I've seen things.. and I know Vince has, that defy explanation. The supernatural has a strong presence in the world of entertainment... even sports-entertainment.. and things happen. You're no more crazy than Vince. Or me? And actually, I think the whole 'vampire' thing, while definitely important, is just a swerve as to what's really bothering you."

"What?", Vickie asked. "I don't understand."

"What you had with this Barnabas sounds like it was an unusual relationship at best. And as you yourself have noted, he remains, due to his 'curse' as you say, stuck in one time. But you've changed and grown and developed. And you're not sure what to expect when you meet him again. Will he accept you? Will he deny you for the changes? What do you want out of this? That's why you've been so hesitant to return to Collinwood.. and to this Barnabas."

"You're right, Linda. So what do I do?"

"Just take it one moment at a time. Follow your heart and follow your instincts. You can't put off returning to Collinwood forever and seeing Barnabas again."

"I'm heading down this weekend after I finish up a few things I've been working on. I'll be flying to Boston on Friday night and driving to Collinwood on Saturday morning for the weekend", said Vickie.

"You'll be glad", Linda said. "I think you just need to deal with this, for better or for worse, and see what happens. This Barnabas sounds like he's an intelligent man and he may surprise you."

"Barnabas is definitely not an easy man to predict", Vickie agreed.

"Maybe a romance, maybe a mistake, and maybe just a strong and eternal friendship... you have to know", Linda said.

"I do.. and I will", Vickie agreed. "Thank you Linda... for listening. For being a friend."

"You're my sister-in-law, my business associate, my family, and my friend. That's what we do", Linda smiled.

"What the heck is this? Girl's night out? Who's running the office?", a voice boomed out.

Linda and Vickie turned to see John Bradshaw Layfield walking towards them, with a big grin on his face.

"How's it going ladies", said JBL as he gently took the hands of both Vickie and Linda and gave them a little kiss.

"Hi John", Vickie said.

"John", Linda said cooly.

The tall Texan was a prominent fixture in the WWE roster and a favorite of Vince's, but Linda had never really warmed up to the Wall Street warrior herself. And Vickie, although she had been with the company for several years, had only a casual, acquaintance type relationship with most of the wrestlers. She had spoken with JBL a few times and discussed book-publishing, but didn't know the man well.

"So how did you manage to get away from the office and Vince long enough to enjoy a good lunch", JBL asked. '

He was well aware of Vince's workhorse tendecies and how much of a slave-driver that Mr. McMahon could be.

"Simple", Linda replied. "I waited until Vince was out of the office and gave myself the afternoon off. And Vickie too."

"I don't blame you", JBL laughed. "It's a beautiful afternoon and the food here is teriffic."

"So what brings you here, John?", Vickie asked.

"A meeting with my lawyers", JBL said. "It's hard to be a self-made millionaire and an idol to millions without proper legal representation."

Both Linda and Vickie sort of rolled their eyes at JBL's description of himself. JBL just laughed at their expressions.

They continued to make small talk and slender, dark haired man walked up.

"Ladies, this is my lawyer, Will Truman", JBL said.

Will shook hands with Linda and Vickie before turning to JBL.

"I'm sorry I'm late. Grace was crying about some guy, Karen was trying to buy out a chain of chinese laundrys and Jack was being a moron. And all before 10:00am."

"You think we have some characters in the WWE? You ought to meet this guy's friends. They are whacked."

"They're not really that bad", Will tried to explain. "OK, yes they are. But at least they don't reproduce. At least I hope not!"

"Let's go talk business", JBL said, taking Will by the shoulder and steering him away from the two women. "I'll see you two ladies at the office. And don't worry. I won't tell Vince I caught you slacking."

JBL laughed as he walked off.

"Bye John", both Linda and Vickie said as JBL and his attorney walked off to have their meeting.

"He's something else, isn't he", Vickie smiled as she and Linda paid their bill and prepared to leave.

"Who? John?", Linda said. "He's always been like that since I've known him. He's a big overbearing at times, but he's a good man."

"And what about that lawyer of his?", Vickie asked.

"Seemed a bit nuerotic", Linda commented.

"And he's gay too", Vickie said.

"What? How do you know", Linda asked.

"With a group of friends as he described... and to deal with JBL as a client, he's either gay or a Saint?"

"Good point", Linda laughed.

As the two ladies walked out of the resturant, Vickie suddenly stiffened.

"Vickie", Linda asked. "What's wrong? What...??"

Vickie was in a dazed state, her eyes glazed over. A distraught look formed on her face as she turned to Linda, in a panicked voice.

"I don't know. I just felt..." Vickie said. "I have to go to Collinwood. Something has just happened to Barnabas.

Linda looked into Vickie's eyes and saw the fear, the confusion there. She took Vickie by the arm.

"Let's go!", said Linda as she and Vickie quickly moved towards where Linda had parked her car.

TBC....

No comments:

Post a Comment