Saturday, November 12, 2011

Questions To Make You Think - Part Two: November 12, 2011

Questions To Make You Think...

1. Is anything too serious for jokes? What?

That's a tough question because I'm a big fan of dark and sick humor which most people would find inappropiate and I feel that jokes are a good way to get through any dark moment or event. But I wouldn't advocate telling pedophile jokes to a child molestation victim or rape jokes to a rape victim - you just have to pick and choose and be sure that the people you're joking with can take it and appreciate teh humor - don't be tasteless just to be tasteless, but pick and choose your spots and if you've chosen correctly, no subject is too serious or off limits.

2. You find that your best friend has stolen money to pay for medical treatment for a seriously ill relative. What would you do?

It would depend upon a great many things - the source of the money and who it was stolen from - Will they miss it? Can they afford it? And also at to the state of my best friend - was he calculated in this action or just acting rashly without thought. And are there any other options to getting the money needed for my friend's relative? Too many other questions have to be answered to determine a proper response.

3. How much have you controlled the course your life has taken?

Unfortunately, not nearly as much as I would like. Because of issues in the past and their consequences, as well as strong-willed influences in my life now who have far too much control, I often feel like I'm just here, existing only to satisfy the whims of others. My own destiny and path of life ignored because of my unwillingness and inability to break these shackles which bound me. The only way I could ever regain control of my life (as if I ever truly had it to begin with) is to just leave and vanish and say goodbye to my current surroundings and the people in my world and go far, far away, never to be seen anymore.

4. A dear friend is in agony and wants you to help him/her to die. Would you?

They are in agony, but why? Is it something terminal and they're going to die anyhow or is it something else? If a friend of mine was dying anyhow and didn't want to suffer for the rest of their days... or had something like Alzheimers or Dementia where the body was fine, but the mind is going away.. and they wanted an assisted suicide, I can't say for sure that I'd say no and refuse to help. This is a question where a person can't truly answer unless they're actually in that kind of situation and luckily for me, thus far in my life, I haven't been. I like to think I'd do the right thing, but first I just need to figure out what the right thing truly would be.

5. What would you do if your country started a war you considered unjustified?

Like the war in Afghanistain and Iraq or the recent military intervention into Libya?? I try to see both sides of the picture and I understand, to a point, the purposes of each of these wars - wipe out the Taliban, depose Saddam or get rid of Quadaffi. But these missions were accomplished and our forces just keep staying there and try to "rebuild" the countries, but to our standards and not to the standards that those people are used to. Those wars can be justified because there was a direct mission and goal. It's the "getting the hell out of there" that we need to work on. But if our country started a war with no provocation and no real reason aside from political expediency, I would complain. I would write to the papers and my representatives. I would protest in the streets if need be. And I would do my best to call out the people responsible for the war and hold them accountable.

6. You see three teenagers making fun of a mentally handicapped man in the street. What would you do?

Again, I honestly can't answer unless actually confronted with that situation. I'd like to think that I would intercede and get the man away from the teenagers to safety and tell the three punks to go find something better to do. That's what I'd like to think I'd do, but I'm not a hero and I like to mind my own business so I guess it would all depend upon my mood and just how fiesty I'm feeling at that particular moment.

7. Has your life ever been changed by an apparently random occurrence?

There have been people that I've met, at the convenient store or other places - we just happened to be at the same place at the same time and a connection was made which developed into a friendship and those people ended up as a big part of my life. That's all I can think of right now, but somehow I have a feeling that the question is referring to events rather than people. I've got one - four years ago this month, a friend of mine asked me to go with her to a local Food Bank that gives out food. No big deal. I didn't have anything better to do so I went and we signed up and got some food and all was well and good. No big deal. We go back the next week and the woman in charge was short handed on volunteers so she asked my friend and I if we could "help out". Four years later, we're both still there as volunteers and are now actually part of the Board of Directors for the Food Bank itself. So yeah, I think that would count as a random event turned into a life changing moment... lol.

8. Do you find it easy to ask for help?

Nope. I would rather shoot myself in the face with a bazooka than have to ask anyone for anything. If I can't do it or get it on my own, I go without. End of story.

9. Would you rather be a tortured genius or a happy simpleton?

I am underestimated by many who think I'm but a simpleton. They only see a side I put forth to allow myself to cope with this world and blend in. So I've played that role and I'm not happy. As far as tortured genius goes, I'm far from being a genius either. I'm not stupid or lacking in knowledge - I have my areas of expertiese, as does everyone else, but there are also topics and fields of which I'm totally clueless and I admit it. What would be better? Brainy, but miserable or else happy, but an idiot? I guess the bottom line is being happy and even the most simple of minds can teach others when it comes down to it so I'd go for the latter choice.

10. You're having dinner with people you respect and admire. They all criticise a close friend of yours (not knowing he/she is a friend). The criticism is unjustified. What would you do.

I'd speak up to let them know that the person they're talking about is a friend of mine and then attempt to explain to these people what I know and why their criticism is unjustified. And if that isn't possible or doesn't work in stopping their criticism, I'd make sure that they are aware that I'm not comfortable with their conversation and attempt to change the topic of discussion to something more pleasant that we can all agree on .

No comments:

Post a Comment