Sunday, November 13, 2011

(Retro) Tossing Salt - Worldwide News - May 17, 2004

COLUMN: TOSSING SALT WORLDWIDE NEWS
Doug Maynard 05/17/2004

Happy Monday! I hope that everyone survived the weekend OK. This was an eventful weekend to be sure. I spent all of Friday night and Saturday morning in the company of my family as we prepared for a yard sale on Saturday morning. Things went well and we cleared out a lot of junk and made a little bit of money, but I hope it is a long long time before we have to do that again.

My mother-figure is a bit hyper at even the best of times. The stress of trying to get things together and having a yard sale was almost too much to bear. She was not a happy camper. I love Ma, but she needs to learn to relax and slow down a bit. On Saturday morning, she was all wired up and totally stressed out and reminded me a bit of the Tasmanian Devil.

Everywhere and into everything. Even the six year old demon spawn was getting freaked out by her antics. But we survived and she's back to normal now. I can't really say anything because she's the mother figure and has been like this her whole life. I just try and stay out of the way. It's really all I can do sometimes.

Anyhow, we survived the yard sale and I went out on Saturday night with some friends to wind down a bit and get plastered. It was karaoke night at Champs so I even got up and sang a little bit on Saturday night. I belted out three songs altogether and must have done all right. People kept slapping me on the back and buying me drinks so that was tres' cool. I put my mark on Bobby Bare's "Numbers", "Sexy Eyes" by Dr. Hook and "I'm Gonna Miss Her" by Brad Paisley.

The ex (one of them) was in the bar so I had to dedicate it. If looks could have killed, I'd be deader than Tommy Dreamer's wrestling career. I'm not really much of a singer, but the karaoke dude is a long time friend and hooks me up with songs he feels I can do some justice to. Anyhow, I got a slight buzz and came on home.

Sunday was yard work and the Judgment Day PPV. And here I am. I'm still tired from the weekend, but all in all, it was pretty good. Oh yeah! I met someone and fell in lust. More on that as it develops.

This is Tossing Salt. I'm Doug. How the hell are you. Not much news happening today, but I do have a little bit on some bad times for Lodi. Plus I've got a recap of Judgment Day complete with my comments about the persons involved. And an all new "Who Am I?", some more "Did You Know's" and a whole lot of wrestling match results from Italy and Japan. So much to do and so little time. Let's get on with the show.

The biggest thing happening in the news concerns a major fire in Charlotte, NC that happened early this morning where an apartment complex was destroyed. One of the tenants of this apartment complex is Brad Cain, a man better known to the wrestling world as Lodi. I tried to find out more information on the TV from the Charlotte TV stations, but didn't have much luck. Apparently, Lodi was interviewed on the local news about the fire, so he is OK. But this does mean he's possibly lost most of, if not all of his worldly possessions in the fire. Police are investigating the cause of the fire. My thoughts are with Lodi this morning. Let's hope that things aren't as bad as they seem and something can be salvaged. Best wishes to Lodi. Good luck dude!

"Al Snow was even out here barking Monday night. But you know what they say. You are what you eat!"
~ Jerry "The King" Lawler - SmackDown - September 16, 1999 ~

Last night was the WWE Judgment Day Pay-Per-View. Time to take a look at the match results and give my two cents on all the not-so-exciting mat action.

Sunday Night Heat:

Mark Jindrak defeated Funaki

I liked the look of Jindrak's new character. He still looks a bit like a goof while mugging for the mirror, but he is starting to show signs of a personality and character and that's a definite plus. And Teddy Long is awesome. Give this man some more mic time on SmackDown. He's well worth it! Belee' dat! Poor Funaki. Does he ever win or is he "jobber for life" in the WWE? He's not even SmackDown # 1 Announcer anymore. Josh Matthews & Rue have moved ahead of him in that field. I just hope he gets paid well.

Judgment Day PPV Bouts:

RVD & Rey Mysterio defeated The Dudley Boyz. RVD just looks bored. Rey belongs wrestling cruiserweights and is just lost here. The Dudleys? Image change, but same old Dudley Boyz. This feud is going nowhere and is boring as crap. Unless RVD does a heel change out of it, it's just been a total waste.

Torrie defeated Dawn Marie. Torrie is eye candy and should not be trying to wrestle. Or act. She should just stand there and look good. Dawn Marie can wrestle and deserves much better than she's been getting. She needs to be out there more often on TV and in some role other than the occasional menial servant role to Paul Heyman. Plus, nice cheeky shots during the match. There was a nice half moon in L.A. last night.

Mordechai defeated Scotty 2 Hotty. Yaaaaawwwnnn!

Rico & Charlie Haas (with Miss Jackie) defeated Hardcore Holly & Billy Gunn. I like the Rico/Haas team. The comedy factor is strong, but these two are both fantastic wrestlers. And every time Haas makes that sick looking face as Rico speaks, I break up laughing. Hardcore Holly and Billy Gunn. I like this team too. It's a good role for both men right now. Both are better as tag wrestlers than singles and seem to bring out the best in each other. And Holly actually showed he can work a comedy match last night. Can you believe it. Two good teams. Good match.

Chavo Guerrero (with Chavo Classic) cheated to win and defeated Jacqueline for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship. So long Jackie. It's been good seeing you, but unless a feud with Dawn Marie is in the future, your two week comeback is history. Chavo has the gold again. And Chavo Classic liked Jacqueline's gift of bra & panties. Cute!

John Cena defeated Rene Dupree to retain the U.S. title. The match was good, but it wasn't what it could have been. I like Cena, but he's getting one dimensional and somewhat boring to me. And this match was good, but got boring fast. At least Dupree got to do his little "French Fry Hat Dance". That always cracks me up.

Undertaker defeated Booker T. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz! Snooze fest! But at least the rumors of turning Booker T into a modern day Papa Shango didn't come true... yet!

John Bradshaw J.R. Ewing Layfield won by DQ over WWE Champion Eddie Guerrero. They actually had a decent match once Eddie started bleeding and things heated up a bit. The first 10 minutes dragged, like a Bradshaw promo, but the end was pretty good. Eddie KO's Bradshaw with the belt and gets DQ'ed. That means rematch at the Great American Bash! The match was decent enough, but I don't think I can stand another month of the 'build-up" for another Eddie - JBL match. Let's hope they blow this one off on SmackDown so Eddie can move on to someone else.

"Lay down and strike the pose before I have to lay you down myself, bitch!"
~ Ivory to model Cindy Margolis - SmackDown - September 16, 1999 ~

DID YOU KNOW?

-Ernest "The Cat" Miller was a three time World Karate Champion and taught Eric Bischoff's son martial arts.

-The Big Show wanted to go to culinary school to become a chef.

-Rey Mysterio Jr. didn't wrestle in high school because he was too busy training to become a professional wrestler.

-"Macho Man" Randy Savage is the voice of Space Ghost's father on "Space Ghost Coast to Coast".

-During Bobby Heenan's appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman, he constantly referred to David as "Merv".

-As a small child, Lee Marshall once auditioned to become a Musketeer on the original Mickey Mouse Club.

-Erik Watts once threw for 303 yards as a quarterback for the University of Louisville, and helped lead his team to victory in the 1991 Fiesta Bowl.

"We don't have referees, but we have a rattlesnake!"
~ Jerry "The King" Lawler - SmackDown - September 16, 1999 ~

This is from "The Wrestler" - April 1998

TOP 10 WAYS TO MISPRONOUNCE BLUE MEANIE
10. Village Meanies
9. Boo Berry
8. Blutus Maximus
7. I Dream of Meanie
6. Meanie Babies
5. Ruptured Spleeny
4. Meanie in Blue
3. Moo Bleanie
2. Chico and the Meanie
1. TV's Blue-pers and Practical Meanies.

"Michael Cole, you are the most inefficient, unequivocally worst announcer I've ever seen!"
~ Chris Jericho - SmackDown - September 16, 1999 ~

Congratulations to the Wrestling Informer's own "Dirtside Maniac" Joshua Knight on the news of his upcoming fatherhood. And welcome back to the Informer's own Diva Extraordinaire - Jessica Spencer.

"I think Pat Patterson refereed the match between David & Goliath."
~ Jerry "The King" Lawler - SmackDown - September 16, 1999 ~

ADDITIONAL SEASONINGS:
ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING
5/15/04
Genova, Italy
Attendance: 500
"II Numero 1 Tournament Matches" - Quarter Finals:
Tsunami defeated Kyo
Mr. Excellent over Darkness via DQ
Manuel Majoli beat Kaio
Raiss defeated White Crow
"II Numero 1 Tournament Matches" - Semi Finals
Tsunami over Mr. Excellent
Manuel Majoli defeated Raiss
NO LIMITS HARDCORE RULES MATCH : Ulster defeated Puck
"II Numero 1 Tournament Matches" - Final
Tsunami defeated Manuel Majoli

ICW ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Red Devil defeated Amarillo

OSAKA PRO WRESTLING
5/15/04
Osaka, Japan
Festival Gate
Attendance: 185
Goa defeated Masato Matoba in 7:36
Yutaka Fukuda defeated Perro & Miracle Man in a three-way dance in 7:03
Takehiro Murahama & Yusuke Fuke beat Super Delfin & Kuishinbo Kamen in 9:51
THREE FALLS MATCH : Gamma, Tsubasa & Billy Ken Kid defeated Big Boss MA-G-MA, Daio QUALLT & Black Buffalo - two falls to one.

OSAKA PRO WRESTLING
5/16/04
Osaka, Japan
Festival Gate
Attendance: 229
Takehiro Murahama defeated Masato Matoba in 8:44
Gamma beat Yutaka Fukuda in 6:58
Daio QUALLT beat Perro in 9:10
Miracle Man beat Super Delfin & Kuishinbo Kamen in a three-way dance in 10:17
Tsubasa, Billy Ken Kid & MIKAMI defeated Big Boss MA-G-MA, Goa & Black Buffalo in 16:30

PRO WRESTLING NOAH
5/16/04
Saitama, Japan
Kawagoe Pepe Atlas Hall
Attendance: 1500
Jun Izumida defeated Haruka Eigen in 5:09
Makoto Hashi and Kotaro Suzuki wrestled to a 20 minute draw.
Takashi Sugiura, Mohammed Yone & Daisuke Ikeda defeated Ace Steel, Ricky Marvin & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi in 15:34
KENTA & Kenta Kobashi defeated Superstar Steve & Bison Smith in 17:14 |
Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Akitoshi Saito & Jun Akiyama defeated Kishin Kawabata, Naoki Sano & Akira Taue in 18:08
Doug Williams & Yoshinari Ogawa defeated Masao Inoue & Tamon Honda in 13:27
Naomichi Marafuji, Takeshi Rikio & Takeshi Morishima defeated Richard Slinger, Shiro Koshinaka & Mitsuharu Misawa in 17:24

ZERO ONE
5/16/04
Tokyo, Japan
Korakuen Hall
Attendance: 1600
Jun Kasai defeated Yusaku 2:38
Naohiro Hoshikawa defeated Dragon Acid
Shin'ya Hashimoto (Zero-One Boss Representative) defeated Rick Bassman (UPW Boss) in 4:00
Takao Omori defeated Zebraman in 5:31
Hiro Yokoi defeated Ryoji Sai in 2:21
UPW HARDCORE RULES: Hardcore Inc. (Oliver John & Al Katrazz) defeated Tetsuhiro Kuroda & Yoshito Sasaki in 9:18
Shinjiro Ohtani & Wataru Sakata defeated Shane "Ma'koa" Roberts & Tommy Wilson in 9:22
INTERNATIONAL JR. TITLE MATCH : Tatsuhito Takaiwa defeated Tony Stradlin in 12:13
NWA UN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH : Masato Tanaka defeated Sabbath in 10:47

ALL JAPAN PRO WRESTLING
5/16/04
Tokyo, Japan
Gunma Sports Center
Attendance: 1900
Masa Fuchi defeated Shiori Asahi in 11:36
Super X defeated X # 2 in 11:48
Gran Hamada & Kaz Hayashi defeated Kendo Ka Shin & Yaz Urano in 12:05
Taiyo Kea & Jamal defeated Arashi & Hideki Hosaka in 12:14
Bull Buchanan & D-Lo Brown defeated Toshiaki Kawada & Nobutaka Araya in 12:22
Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma defeated Keiji Mutoh & Kazushi Miyamoto in 21:30

"Both of those girls are young at heart... slightly older in other places."
~ Jerry "The King" Lawler talking about Moolah & Mae Young - SmackDown - September 16, 1999 ~

"I'm a three time World Karate Champion. I am the greatest!"
~ Ernest "The Cat" Miller

WHO AM I?

The last "Who Am I?" has one helluva response. It figures. Just when I'm thinking about chucking the whole deal, I get a ton of replies. The correct replies were The "Exotic" Adrian Street, which was answered correctly by: LEE WILLIAMS, ROBERT FAINT, BRUCE POBANZ, STEPHEN JOYAL, PETER MATTICE, ANDREW MONTGOMERIE & CRYSTAL K. SPIRIT. The other correct answer for the last edition of "Who Am I?" was the always lovely WWE Diva, Lita. And answering correctly were: TECTY, ANDREW MONTGOMERIE, STONE COLD SARAH, MATT RAWLE, SHANE O'BRIEN, MELANIE, SUZIE Q., J.J. GREEN, KATHY, PETER PORKR, TONY T. TIGER, JOSHUA KNIGHT, DANTE PEREZ, JAMES HALE, CRYSTAL K. SPIRIT, JEROME G., BILLY ROUSE, NANCY, WILIE WALTON & WHITE STAR. Congratulations to everyone who answered correctly. Great job!

I was trained by a wrestler by the name of Ted Allen before breaking into professional wrestling. He made sure I was ready to go before I wrestled my first professional match against "Bullet" Bob Armstrong. He beat the crap out of me, but then helped set me up with my first major run wrestling in Louisiana working for "Cowboy" Bill Watts. I stayed in Louisiana for a while and then moved on to Florida where I gained experience and notoriety. From there, it was on to Georgia and I became part of a wrestling dynasty. I'm just an average man of average strength, talent & speed, but my career took off and was anything but average. I joined up with my "cousins" as part of a group which dominated wrestling for a while and made history. My best friend was considered the leader, but I was considered the "heart and soul" of the group. I was also a part of a very dangerous alliance for a time, but my calling was always as one of the elite. Time and injuries took their toll and eventually, I was forced to retire. But I am still one of the most recognizable figures in wrestling today. Who Am I?

And if you know the answer to this "Who Am I?" or have any questions, comments, recipes, jokes, or anything else to talk about, drop me a line at either Doug28352@yahoo.com or DougMaynard@wrestlinginformer.net. I want to say thank you to all the readers out there for making "Tossing Salt" and "The Wrestling Informer" the successes that they are. We do it for you! Thanks! And that's it for me. Until next time, I'm outta here. Talk at you later & take it light!

5.17.04

No comments:

Post a Comment