Friday, October 21, 2011

Andy Rooney Interviews... ME (Sort Of) - October 21, 2011

Everyone knows who Andy Rooney is, right? He's been a part of the TV series, "60 Minutes" for well over thirty-five years and is known for his often insightful, sometimes cantankerous rants about anything and everything. He's also a very entertaining writer. In his book, "Word For Word", which I'm currently reading, Rooney talks about "The Quest For An Honest Politician" and has a list of questions that he'd like to ask anyone running for office before making a decision about that person.

Well, we all know that I love to do surveys and I was reading Andy's questions for prospective politicians. I seriously doubt that I'll ever run for political office, but just in case that does happen, I want to go ahead and get the tough questions out of the way. And since these are Andy Rooney's questions, it'll be just like he's interviewing me. Ain't that cool? So...

An Andy Rooney Interview With... ME!

What's the worst thing about you? Maybe it's my habit of procrastination or maybe it's my phobia of phones (hate those damn things). Nah, both of those things are minor in nature. The worst thing? Probably my anti-social tendecies and my aversion to interacting with people. I'm not a "people person". I try sometimes and can "fake it", but anytime I have to deal with new faces or anyone outside my "social circle", it tears my nerves up and is really hard for me to do.

Tell me five books you've read and liked. "Notes To Myself" by Hugh Prather, "Interview With A Vampire", by Anne Rice, "Adventures In Larryland" by Larry Zbyszko, "Standing Firm" by Dan Quayle and "Why Me?" by Sammy Davis Jr.

Do you think the defense budget should be bigger or smaller? It needs to be cut. Fine tune the budget and eliminate waste and consolidate the departments of the DOD and Pentagon to ensure a tighter ship on a smaller budget. We can't afford it as it is right now.

What time do you get up on Sundays? Usually around 11:30 am - 12:00 noon - but there is no set time. Just whenever I feel like it, depending on what I hope to get accomplished for that particular day.

Are you for or against killing murderers? If there is no doubt as to the murderer's guilt and intent, then I do support the death penalty. An eye for an eye.

Do you think the government should do more or less for the people who can't or don't do things for themselves? The people who can't do things for themselves, due to disability, age, illness or some factor beyond their control, the government should help as much as they can. For people who are able to work, but don't want to do anything for themselves - they're just wanting to cash in on the government's dime, they should be given a limited amount of aid, but with stipulations and a timeline as to how long the aid lasts.

Abortion, yes or no? Yes

If you were supposed to meet your wife in an hour and you were driving on a long, straight, deserted highway, seventy miles from where she was in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and there were no cops around, would you be on time? Would I speed? I'm sure that my gas pedal might touch the floor once or twice during the drive and I might not be exactly on time, but I would be close.

Do you believe in religious freedom? As was said in the movie "Dogma", it's not what you believe, but that you do believe. Absolutely. A person should be able to worship as he or she pleases with one slight provision. We don't interfere with their beliefs and they don't interfere with the belief of others.

Do you believe a person has a right to not be religious? Absolutely. Religion is a great thing for some people, but it's not for everyone. A person has to find their own way and can not be condemned for choosing a different path from the mainstream.

What's your favorite kind of dog? The Taco Bell dogs and Pugs.

Do you make the toast or does your wife? I'm not married, but I think the task would more often fall to me than my better half. I like to cook and am the more domestic of the two of us.

At what age do you think people should be allowed to drink alcohol in public? Age 18 - if a person can vote, smoke, buy guns and be drafted, they should be allowed to drink a beer. It's that simple.

Would you try to help or hinder the building of more nuclear energy plants? Nuclear energy is cleaner and safer than ever and more nuclear plants would help alleviate our country's need for foreign oil. I would definitely support more nuclear energy plants - it would be better for our country, as well as create jobs.

Do you take astrology seriously? I like to read the horoscopes, but do I take them seriously? Nope - they're strictly entertainment.

Would you go to a chiropractor or an orthopedist if you had a back problem? Probably the orthopedist - I'd prefer to have full treatment and care, including x-rays, scans, therapy rather than just having someone crack my back.

Is it okay for men's clubs to keep women out? Just yes or no please. Yes

Are you for or against gun control? I do agree that there has to be some limitations on what weapons are allowed to be out there in the streets, but gun control should be limited and legislated with common sense rather than fear-mongering and rash judgements.

Would you open up or further close down the public's access to government information through the press? Unless it truly is a matter that needs to remain classified, the government should be transparent and open to all media scrutiny.

If the most able and experienced man for the job was homosexual, would you appoint him? Absolutely. A person's sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with the way they do their job and obviously, the most qualified person would be the one I'd want for any job.

Busing, yes or no? No.

Affirmative Action? Not at all - a person gets a job, placement in a college or anything else by being the most qualified and most deserving - not because of their race or gender. Quotas of any kind are not right and do not work.

Whom do you like better, rich people or poor people? People are people and I've never cared one way or the other about their social status. If I get along with them and like them, their income, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc are all insignificant and does not matter.

Have you ever smoked marijuana? Yes, I have. Not crazy about it though - my "drug of choice" is alcohol.

Are you for or against farm subsidies? I can see where they're beneficial for some - if it wasn't for the help from the Government, many more farmers would be out of business and unable to survive or compete. I think there is a lot of abuse of this government policy and each case put forth needs to be decided on a case by case basis, but I would support continuing doing the subsidies so long as they're necessary to help keep the American family farms solvent.

What about tobacco? Do you feel the same about taxpayers subsidizing farmers who grow tobacco? I live in NC and without these subsidies, this state, my home, would be hurt greatly and thousands of people would be out of work. I don't smoke and don't care much for these subsidies, but I would continue to support them and help keep my home state strong.

Do you carry a fountain pen? Not often - no.

Which do you like bettter, chocolate or vanilla ice cream? I preferred chocolate when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, my tastes have changed. I'm more of a vanilla type guy now.

How do you take your coffee? I love the smell of a fresh pot of coffee, but I can't stand the taste. I don't drink coffee at all. I drink Diet Pepsi or water.

And there you go, Mr. Rooney. My answers to your questions, honest and to the point. No secrets here.

So do you think that Andy Rooney would vote for me for a political office? Probably not. But he's old and probably wouldn't vote for anyone under seventy years of age anyhow. Is Rooney registered to vote in NC? Nope, so no worries here.

If you get a chance to read Andy Rooney's books (any of them), do so. He's funny and entertaining and I've yet to find one that was not a good, fun read. And go read more of my blogs too. Maybe I'm the next Andy Rooney? Nah, probably not. He's one of a kind. But I am the only me (and thank God for that!)

I'm out of here - take care and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment