Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's A Nice Day For A White Wedding - October 25, 2011

I had a dream last night. (And I can already see the eyes rolling, saying "Here we go again!"), but bear with me here. It wasn't that kind of dream. It was actually pretty nice and simple. In my dream, I was at a wedding. Or more specifically, my wedding. Yeppers, I got married.

Actually, thinking about it now, it's probably more of a nightmare than a dream. Think about it. Me? A Wedding? Bonds of Holy Matrimony? A life long committment to one person, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, til' death do us part? That's kind of scary. to say the least. But in my dream, it was to the right person, the same guy I've already decided that I want to spend my life with and commit too. Not sure if he feels the same way exactly, but after all this time, I think he's in it for the duration and the long haul.

In the dream, it was a church wedding with most of my current friends there, as well as several faces I didn't recognize and a few that I haven't seen or spoke to in several years. And to put it simply, it was a good moment of time. But it got me to thinking (and this is why I'm here at the keyboard this morning), what kind of wedding would I really like to have if, by some chance, I was to actually one day get married.

Now let's be honest about this. Marriage is something that I've never experienced and probably never well. I don't like crowds, I don't like being the center of attention, I have a strong phobia of committment and most importantly, same sex marriage is not legal in NC (or in any states close by). And I'm not a big fan of traveling half-way across the country, which is what I'd have to do in order to legally say I do to the person of my choosing.

But still, I think about marriage and what it means to a life and relationship. Its the ultimate bonding and committment and even though the thought scares me a bit, it's something that I'd like to do and experience at least once in my life. Most people of my generation and age are on their second or sometimes third marriage and I've witnessed both the good and the bad that being married can bring. And I want it. I want to feel it and experience it. I never have and probably never will, but it's truly one of my dreams to be able to stand there, with the person I love, in front of family and friends, and commit to each other by saying, "I do".

So with all of that said, I want to sit here and attempt to describe the wedding I'd like to have, but most likely never will.

The location would have to be a private place where everyone can relax and just be themselves. I always thought, given my passion for the world's oldest sport, that inside a wrestling ring would be great. But most people don't share my love of sports-entertainment and admittingly, it would be kind of cheesy. Being married inside a wrestling ring should be reserved for wrestlers and not just life-long fans who write about it. So that's out.

My other choices would be either on a pier or dock with the ocean roaring in the background. Not on the beach itself because sand is annoying and would get all over everyone and everything, but close to the beach so we could have the atmosphere and magic without all of the mess. And if that's not practical or amicable to everyone, then a nice, open place surrounded by trees and woods. Either the beach or the woods would be fine, but it'd have to be outdoors to allow the sun and wind to enhance the ceremony.

Formal attire is not required. I don't do formal very well and would be perfectly comfortable in a pair of jeans and a button up shirt (but for this occasion, I would tuck my shirttail in. Just saying!) Folding chairs for the guests, an open bar, and hamburgers & hot dogs on the grill. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of "fancy". Just a cook-out with a few dozen of my closest friends which, by the way, also happens to be a wedding.

The cool thing would be to not let anyone know it's a wedding until they actually get there. Obviously, the people in the wedding party would have to know and the person who performs the wedding ceremony, but I'd prefer to keep it quiet until everyone is there and enjoying themselves. Get everyone together for a quick fifteen minute cememony and then we eat, drink and celebrate.

Now let's get to the people, both in the wedding party and my guests. Theresa and Greg would have to be there. Those are definite no-brainers. I'm not sure of the actual titles of the roles they'd play, but both Theresa and Greg would be up there at the alter, by my side. Brent and Russ would have to come down from their homes up north and be here too. And Marshall, from Wilmington. And Chris B. from Greer. Those are my traveling "must haves" at the wedding. I'd also insist that my "internet family" of Reesy, Harold, Tecty, Paps and Suzie be there too. What's a few long distance plane tickets in order to have the ones you most care for at a special event? It'd be costly, but I'd find a way.

Of course, my other "family" here in the 'Burg, Billie and Ray, along with the Paige and the Roland families would be there, sitting right in the front row. I can already hear Parker and Crystal mocking me, asking "Uncle Doug, have you gone crazy? It's not too late to run!"....lol.

I'd have to hunt down my friends from the rough and rowdy days, like Carl & Carson, Larry Wayne, Chad, Kever, James Jr., Talmadge and definitely Youngblood. Michael may be MIA these days, but he's still my one of my little bro's.

I can't forget Dina, Brian, Kenneth and Tamara, Pam, Angel and Ben (from my Kangaroo days), Tracey & David, Pat & Melissa and Rabbit. And my wrestling associates, Mr. Ethan Storm and B.D. Productions. Even if I don't have a wrestling ring to be married in, my love of that business still has to be represented in some fashion.

And my "church family". I'm not sure exactly how many would actually come since "same sex marriage" is majorly against what they believe, but I'd ask Miss Sue, Sarah and Casey, Juanetta and Pastor to be there. It wouldn't be right without their presence for they are a big part of my life now, even if we don't agree on everything.

And finally, I'd have my "blood" family, Ma, Steve, Lynn and Terri. Even though admittingly, I'm not the biggest "family person" in the world, they're still my blood and my family and they need to be there. They'd just have to be on good behavior... or else!

So that's my guest list. More names would be added, of course, as preparations for the wedding continue.

Let's move on the rest of the stuff that would have to be determined. We'd need music, of course. Roy Gee could work some of his DJ magic and we could bring in Woody from over in McColl with some karaoke equipment. Between the two of them, there would be plenty of tunes and music for everyone to enjoy.

And I guess that would cover everyone and everything. I'm sure I've missed more than I've remembered, but the scenario above describes how I'd like my wedding, if it ever happens to be.

Yeah, that's how I would like it to be. If it ever does actually happen, it'll probably turn out to a drunken blackout in Vegas, married to a woman I can't remember meeting, with the wedding being presided over by an Elvis impersonator and with three drag queens as witnesses.

Oh well, at least it won't be boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment