Wednesday, October 12, 2011

(Retro) A Dream - March 2, 2011

Dream - March 2, 2011

Had one of the strangest dreams last night. Not that it's unusual for me to have strange dreams. It's pretty common actually, but to actually remember them, in detail... that's the odd part. And right now, the images and thoughts are still going through my head. So I'll try to remember what I can and see if it ends up making any sense.

This dream had me in a small apartment, where I was there, with my Dad, who died back in 1996. The TV was on and they were saying something about bears. Dad looked, not like he did in the last few years of his life, but was clean shaven with the traditional dark framed glasses that were so popular in the seventies and eighties before folks started getting more concerned with fashion. I"m not sure of the time of day, but Dad is supposed to be in bed because he gets up at 3:30am to go to work. (He worked at IBM for over twenty-five years and always got up very early.)

Anyhow, I'm there in his apartment and I'm cooking pieces of steak. Again, I don't know why. Must have been hungry, but the smell is filling up the apartment and I don't want to wake him up by being noisy or stinking up the apartment. But he's up and he's smiling, but I think he looks sad. I ask him why he's sad and he replied that "I always cry in the morning". Strangely, that doesn't bother me and he goes to the bathroom while I go clean up my mess from cooking.

The phone rings and he says that it's work calling and asks me to hand him the phone in the bathroom. He knows it's work, because it's from out of state? I don't get that reference either. He tells whoever's on the phone that he's on his way in and he'll have to catch a ride. He asks me if I can take him to work, but I shrug because I don't drive or have a car.

And the next scene, as I remember, is we're in a van of some type, and Dad is in the passenger seat telling the driver, a friend of mine named Kenneth, where to go and how to get there. Kenneth says it'll take about an hour. I'm thinking that I hope Dad gives Kenneth money for his gas, but I know that he will pobably over-pay him. And I'm also wondering how he'll be getting home, but I feel secure that he'll have a way home and we shouldn't worry about that.

Meanwhile, I'm in the back, trying to decide whether or not to take a nap and another acquaintance, Jed, is on the phone with someone and they're expecting us at 7:30am. Jed asks me if I'm going to wake up and for some reason, I find this funny and start to laugh. And then I woke up when my alarm, still set from yesterday morning, but with no reason to make any noise today, started blasting away with that annoying noise it does so well.

So what's the point of all this? Did you really expect a point? I guess I could over-analyze it and say that riding with Kenneth may be on my mind, which is natural since I hung out for a while with him and his other-half, Tamara, a couple of nights ago (and had fun, by the way.) Haven't thought about Jed in a while. He's a super guy though who I have a lot of respect for. We don't have much in common and can't really be called "friends", but we were part of a common grouping a few years ago and there are some good memories there and he's a big part of them.

As for Dad, I miss him. I always have and the image is how I remember him, always headed out to work or always on the go. Don't get the bit about cooking meat or the whole "crying" bit, but I think that maybe it has to do with how he always put on the smiles for us kids, but he wasn't happy for a long time after he and Mom divorced. It took quite a few years before he seemed to be happy again, even though he fronted and hid it well. I do that sometimes too, but I come by it naturally.

But I'm over-analyzing. After all, it's just a dream. And it doesn't really mean anything, does it? Nah, it's just a dream.

I miss you, Dad...

Have a great day...

No comments:

Post a Comment