Wednesday, October 12, 2011

(Retro) Fifteen Books - May 10, 2011

Fifteen Books - May 10, 2011

The rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can
recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag fifteen friends, including me.

Notes to Myself - Hugh Prather: a very special and wonderful friend introduced me to "Hugh Baby" a long, long time ago and since then, I've often turned to his books for insight, inspiration, and just a great way to relax and pass the day. This isn't my actual favorite of his books (I Touch The Earth - The Earth Touches Me holds that honor), but all of his books are extremely deep in their simplicity. Just awesome stuff. Thank you T...

Interview With A Vampire - Anne Rice: Who has not enjoyed the tales of Louis and Lestat and their associates? This wasn't my first "vampire story", but it was one of the first to really move me and sweep me into it's world. The movies based on these books, known as "The Vampire Chronicles" are good, but the books are so much better.

Barnabas, Quentin and The Vampire Beauty - Marilyn Ross: One of a long series of paperback books put out in the early seventies to cash in on the success of the show "Dark Shadows". There is no continuity and the stories were often cheesy, but even now, they're still entertaining. I own sixteen of the novels - I hope to one day own the entire collection. Just good, fun reads.

Outsiders - S.E. Hinton: We've all seen the movie, but I remember reading the book when I was fourteen. And the book is so much better. Actually haven't read this book in quite a while. Might be a good thing to look at later tonight.

"Flowers In The Attic" - V.C. Andews: The start of a great series of book that essentially always followed the same formula, but always kept me excited and intrigued, wondering what twists and turns would happen next. V.C. Andrews had so much talent and knew how to tell a story. It's a shame that the last few series of books, published after her death (using her name, but written by others "inspired" by Andrews) became so lame and monotonous. It's hurt her legacy to be sure. But the first books, this one and the ones that followed, that were actually written by Andrews herself, were and are great reads.

Hamilton Mythology: I can't remember for sure the lady's name who wrote this book (Edith Hamilton), but I remember reading it back in Elementary school - and falling in love with the stories of Ancient Greece and greek mythology in general. It's a love that continues to this day - and this book started it for me.

"Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses? and Other Imponderables" - David Feldman: Why do dogs have wet noses? Why do fly swatters have holes? Why don't woodpeckers get headaches? The answers to all of these questions that we may have or may not have wondered about. One of my best friends gave me this book on my birthday waaaaayyy back in 1991 (thank you, T) and I've still got it - still read it - still love it!

"Standing Firm" - Dan Quayle: Dan Quayle was so unappreciated as the Vice President and even as a person - a walking punchline for all the comics. But the man was a two term Congressman, a two-term U.S. Senator and deserves much more credit and respect than most people seem willing to give. That's a shame. This book gives a great look at the Bush/Quayle White House from 1988 - 1992 and should be a must read for every Quayle credit. It'll change a lot of mind and opinions. I don't agree with the man on many issues, but I have a great deal of respect for the man and this book, reading his side of things as they happened, makes me undestand why George Bush picked Quayle as his running mate. He was and is the real deal and this is a great book.

"Have A Nice Day: A Tale Of Blood and Sweatsocks" - Mick Foley: I've probably read a hundred or more wrestling autobiographies - some are very good (Bret Hart's book, Ole Anderson's book, Chris Jericho's book, Harley Race's book) and some kind of sucked (Chyna's book, Hulk Hogan's book, etc) and some were in the middle (Ric Flair's book, Arn Anderson's book, Larry Zbyszko's book) - but none can compare to the one that really started it all - the incomparable Mick Foley. He was the man who brought wrestling autobiographies into the mainstream media and he's still the one who has done it the best...

Golf Monster: Alice Cooper: It's Alice Cooper talking about his career and playing golf - a mixture of great stories and help in over-coming addictions (or replacing them with more positive addictions). It's just a great book. It's Alice. 'Nuff said!

"No One Here Gets Out Alive" - Jerry Hopkins & Danny Sugarman: It's a great biography of the great Jim Morrison, lead singer of "The Doors". And it's a great book. I've read it several times and still enjoy reading it. Jim Morrison was a extremely fascinating person and this book really explores the man and the myth, the legacy. I remember having to do a report back in high school about a historical person - I did it on Jim Morrison and used this book as my main reference source. A must read for any Doors fan or any rock fan.

"Cash" - Johnny Cash / "Waylon" - Waylon Jennings : Two books about two true legends of country music. I put them together because they're both awesome, were great friends of each others and their lives almost constantly intertwined for over forty years. I love autobiographies and I love me some Cash and love me some Waylon. They were the best and their legacies, like their music, will live forever. And both of these books - they are great reads of amazing stories by some amazing guys.

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams: The Life, Times and Legend of James Dean" - Paul Alexander: There are a ton of books and biographies out there on James Dean. This is one of the best with amazing stories, great pictures and an in-depth look at the Hollywood Icon that really allows you to feel as if you know and understand what Dean was all about and how his mind worked. A great book and a compelling, fascinating read.

The Bible: 'Nuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment