Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tossing Salt - Worldwide News (Part 1 of 4) - October 4, 2011

Tossing Salt - Worldwide News
TNA Stay Or Go Series (Part 1 of 4)
October 4, 2011
Doug Maynard

Yesterday, I finished up a five part series where I wreaked havoc with the superstars of the WWE. People were hired, people were fired and I made my suggestions to make the number one "sports entertainment" company in the world a better place. Well, while I"m on a roll, why not do TNA Impact Wrestling too? Sounds like a plan to me. And that's exactly what I'm doing.

It's a four-part series where I'm going down the entire TNA roster, from A to Z, and looking at each and every single talent under contract to the Orlando based operation. But the criteria for this series of column will be slightly different from the ones for the WWE. It has to be since comparing TNA and WWE is like comparing apples and bananas. Everyone in the business, whether they want to admit it publicly or not, wants to work for the WWE. That is the "Big Show" for this business, pure and simple. TNA is a nice place to visit and get a steady paycheck, but it's not the biggest and best horse in the race, no matter what people might claim. I know it. You know it. They know it.

So the criteria for this series of column is looking at each and every superstar and should they stay in TNA as part of Impact Wrestling or should they reach out to the WWE and see if there's a place for them on the WWE payroll and roster.

With sixty-plus talents on their roster, I've divided it up into three columns where each person will be critiqued and I'll give my opinion whether or not they have a future elsewhere or is TNA the best thing for them at this point of their career. Doesn't that sound like fun? I think so. And the fourth column will be where I list several talents that are neither on the WWE or TNA payroll that perhaps TNA should reach out to and invite to Orlando to help fill out their roster and add some extra impact (pun intended) to the roster.

I'm Doug and it's time to get funky like a monkey or busy like a hooker at a plumbers convention in Las Vegas. Let's do this...

Abyss: Over the past year or so, Abyss's character has been really downplayed and where he once was a monster, he's just an afterthought these days and not much of one at that. The character has peaked and in on the downslide big time and unless he finds a way to reinvent himself, the future doesn't look great for "the monster". I still think he reminds me of the love child of Mankind and Kane, but until recently, he still managed to make it work. It's not working anymore. Abyss should stay in TNA as a long as he can because, quite simply, he's not good enough to go to the WWE.

AJ Styles: And on the other hand, AJ Styles is more than ready for any big show and big career move that comes up. He's been the heart and soul of TNA for so long with great matches, a great work ethic and as a leader, both inside and outside of the ring. AJ is not the classic "WWE Superstar", but as CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and a few others have shown so well, the times, they are a-changing. I would think that if AJ ever decides he wants to try life in the major leagues, the WWE would gladly snap him up. And eventually, I think he will. He is that good and deserves far more than TNA can offer him.

Alex Shelley: Another great perfomer that has so much more to offer than TNA can readily provide for. He's a good talker and a good wrestler and he knows how to get that connection to the fans and make them cheer and jeer every move. The man deserves a shot at the brass ring that is WWE and would be snapped up in a flash, should the opportunity ever arrive.

Anarquia: So far, I'm not impressed with the guy. He's okay as part of a team with Hernandez leading the way, but he just doesn't have that "It" factor about him, not that I've noticed anyhow. I think TNA is a good place for him to grow and learn and maybe one day, be a major name. But honestly, I think TNA will be about as far as he ever goes.

Angelina Love: The body is great and the wrestling skills are decent, but that face. HD is NOT her friend, that's for sure. She needs to stay where she's at because she's not ready for prime time. Not yet and probably not ever. Divas have some standards. The song, "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa just keeps running through my head. Cripes!

Anthony Nese: Haven't seen much of this young man, but what I've seen so far is fairly impressive. He's not ready for the WWE yet. He's still far too green and inexperienced, but he's got potential. He needs to stay in TNA for now and learn and grow. And one day, maybe he'll be a star.

Austin Aries: No questions about it. He is WWE ready and would do very well in the land of Titan. TNA is just a stop in the road for this guy until he's ready to move on. He is that damn good!

Bobby Roode: Another star who has grown and developed over the past several years in TNA. And it's paid off as he's now one of the big fish in the small pond. But he could easily be so much more. And when he gets tired of playing second fiddle to Hogan, Flair, RVD, Angle and the rest, he'll realize it. It's not a matter of "if", but when he leaves. Greener pastures await.

Brian Kendrick: He did the WWE thing and was buried. Right place, but wrong time. And now he's found a nice little niche in TNA as "The Wizard of Odd". I think with Kendrick, this is the place he needs to be. He's good, but he's more at ease and comfortable in the TNA enviroment and seems happier and more relaxed. He should stay exactly where he's at and if WWE ever does come calling, just say thanks, but no thanks.

Brooke Tessmacher: She's good in the ring, a fair talker and has a great ass. What more can a person ask for in a Diva. I'm not sure how she would do in a larger, WWE enviroment, but I'd like to see her have a shot.

Bully Ray: Bubba has reinvented himself and is doing extremely well right now. He's where he should be at this point in his career. Let him stay in TNA.

Chris Sabin: Another good talent with a good look and charisma, but I really can't see him doing much in a place like WWE except getting lost in the shuffle. He's got the skills, but he doesn't really stand out from the crowd. He's better off exactly where he is.

Christopher Daniels: Daniels is kind of an enigma for me. I love his work and he's an extremely talented dude, but I just can't picture him as a WWE Superstar. He's got the skills without a doubt, but does he have the passion to deal with the WWE politics and backstage chaos? I just can't see him fitting in with the WWE crowd. He'd be like Low-Ki was, in my opinion, and ready to leave after just a short amount of time. Better he stay where he is and belong rather than move on and not.

Christy Hemme: Christy left the WWE originally for some yet undisclosed reason, but rumoured to be jealousy by one certain "Million Dollar Princess". I doubt that's changed. Christy stays with TNA.

Crimson: The guy has a unique look and a good amount of talent. With some tutoring and refining of his in-ring skills, just to tighten things up a bit, he could easily be a big name and factor in the WWE. I watch this guy and he reminds me so much of a young John Cena. And whether that is good or bad, it's exactly what Vince and the WWE scouts are looking for. He belongs in the WWE and I think eventually, will end up there.

D'Angelo Dinero: "The Pope" was a bright light in the dark, chaotic mess that was WWE's version of ECW. He was released when Vince decided to remove all evidence of that failed experiment. But he has to still be on the WWE's radar and I could easily see him heading back up to the Land of Titan and rejoining the company. He's a good talker and good worker, but most importantly, he has the heart and passion that being a WWE star requires. And he has charisma out the wazoo. I think that eventually, he'll end up back in the WWE. It's not "if", but just "when".

Devon: The career is winding down and so are his days as an active wrestler. Unless it's to be an agent, Devon should stay exactly where he is and reap the benefits of that TNA paycheck. As a wrestler, there is no place for him up north. It's sad, but true.

Don West: He's TNA 4 Life. 'Nuff said!

Douglas Williams: A good talent and I like his ring work, but he's just not all that in my eyes. He's not the greatest talker and just seems to be lost in the shuffle at TNA right now. And if he's lost in the mix at TNA, could you imagine how he'd do in the WWE? He might be worth a look-see in another year or so, but for now, he just needs to concentrate on building his value to the TNA fans and brass. No WWE in his immediate future.

Eric Bischoff: I could see Eric making an appearance or two at some point in the WWE in the future, after he's left the comforting arms of TNA, but so far as a regular role of any kind, that ship has sailed. Eric has several businesses in place and a couple of TV series in the works with his partner, Jason Hervey. He's a big fish in the TNA ocean, but at the WWE, especially at this point, he'd be just another body. Since he isn't a wrestler, there isn't a place for him. So when his TNA deal ends, I expect we'll see Eric fade into the sunset. If he wants to stay involved in wrestling, he'd better stay in TNA as long as he can.

And there you go. Part one is complete and finished. Only three more columns to go in this series. Can you stand it?
I guess I'll go ahead and call it quits right here too. So what do you think? Am I being fair to TNA? Would the superstars I mentioned be better off in the WWE? Have I totally misjudged some of the men and women and their place in the TNAtmosphere? So many questions and if you have the answers, I'd love to hear them. Contact me at Doug28352@yahoo.com and let me know what you think.

Until tomorrow (and Part Two), I'm Doug and I am outta here like a crackhead who's seen a flashing blue light. Have a great day and always, always be a fan.

Ubuntu!

No comments:

Post a Comment